Down On Love

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I saw a faint figure standing at the end of her driveway and tried calling to her. With every ounce of courage and strength I could muster I forced my body forward. My heart sank when I saw her turn and walk down her driveway toward the house. I stopped and yelled at the top of my lungs.

"BETTY, WAIT."

I yelled it a second time before she stopped. Looking around she finally saw me. When I reached her drive I was exhausted, I hadn't used my legs like that in years. Telling me to sit on a stump next to the mailbox she handed me a water bottle and grinned.

"That was quite a trip for you wasn't it? I wondered if it would be too much when you offered to walk down, but I figured it's your body and sooner or later you'd have to do something like this."

I hung my head and muttered, "Dammit."

Touching my hand gently she asked, "What, what is it Tucker. Why are you upset?"

I couldn't look at her, the tears were welling up and I wanted to crawl under a rock.

"I was in such a hurry I forgot the flowers. Sorry."

She stood straight and moved a few feet from me with a look of incredulity on her face, which made Ella tense up. She petted her head and said softly.

"It's okay Ella, he's a nice man. Did you really get flowers for me?" I nodded. "Wait here and rest, I'll be back in five."

It soon became apparent what she had in mind as I watched her drive toward me in a golf cart with Ella on the seat beside her. With me seated she told Ella to follow as we drove to my place. The dog ran alongside loving every moment. At the house I hobbled inside, grabbed the roses and made my way back to the cart. Just before we got to her driveway she stopped.

"Where are the fish?"

I chuckled, "In the cooler next to your mailbox."

With a whoop she continued down the road. We worked on supper together, me hobbling, she limping, but somehow we got it done. She was tending to the filets in the pan while I cooked the home-made fries. Following supper we leaned back patting our stomachs. I spoke first.

"Oh my gosh Betty. I haven't eaten that much in who knows how long. I'm stuffed."

Rubbing her hand over her stomach she groaned, "Me either, I'm gonna pay the price later, but it was darned good going down. I made cupcakes this afternoon, I have to wait though. Are you ready for one?"

I moaned, "Sounds lovely but I have to decline. If I eat one more thing I'll burst."

After we had relaxed she showed me a puzzle she had been putting together. We played a game of Scrabble to pass the time and chat. Ella was never more than five feet from her, the cat on the other hand seemed to think it owned me. It would wrap itself around my ankle and then lay on my foot purring. At one point Betty leaned to the side looking under the table.

"I think Buford likes you, he's never done that with a stranger before."

Around nine I was gathering the courage to venture home on foot, trying to think of where I could sit and rest along the way. She must have figured out my dilemma.

"You aren't walking home." She said. "I'll drive you, the cart has lights. You know, you should get one, it would make your life easier. You can't drive it legally in town but out here around the lake nobody cares. Except for a few busybodies in that subdivision but screw them. We were here first."

Riding through the darkness to my place it dawned on me that her reference of 'screw them' was the first thing close to vulgarity that I had heard leave her lips. At the house I asked her to talk with me a minute before she had to leave. With Ella being home alone she told me she could only stay a minute.

"You mentioned that I should get a cart like yours. Where do I find such a thing without having to do a bunch of research?" I asked.

She chuckled, "That's easy. We travel to the city where these are sold. It's only an hour away, we could make a day of it."

I was all for that. "How soon?" I asked.

"Its late Tuck, let's talk in the morning if it isn't raining."

As fate would have it, it was raining the next morning, and the next two as well. It was Thursday morning when I saw her next. It was still too wet to work in the rose beds, but I saw her walking as I sat on the front porch. By the time she'd reached my gate I had a cup of coffee in a go-to cup waiting for her. She smiled.

"Where's your coffee?" She asked. I pointed to the porch. "Well why don't you open the gate and we'll drink coffee together, besides we need to talk about getting you a cart."

We chatted as long as it took to finish the coffee, and then she became more inquisitive.

"How did you end up like this Tuck? You seem awfully young."

I answered. "34" I then went on to describe my encounter with tragedy, watching her wince as though she knew exactly what I'd gone through. She then told me her story, most of which I already knew. When she was done, she said "36."

And there it was, me at 34 and her at 36. Both struggling to exist in a world not designed for people with disabilities. Ella was getting antsy, she leaned down, unhooked her leash and said softly. "Okay."

With that Ella roamed about the yard a few minutes and squatted to pee. Finishing her business she bounded back to the porch where she carefully sniffed me and the surrounding porch area. Betty smiled.

"You must have the magic touch. She's never that free around people she isn't used to. First you steal my cats' affections and now you're going after my dog." She said as she laughed.

Continuing she asked, "So when are we going to town where you buy a cart? Saturday is open for me. I can leave Ella with a friend for the day. One thing though. Are you sure you want to be seen with a scarred, buck toothed woman with one leg? People are bound to stare at the least. Some will be stupid enough to make nasty comments."

I looked her dead in the eye, "Are you ready to be seen with a man who is still racked with pain and can barely walk at times. I'll need to bring my four-wheel walker so I have something to lean on and can sit when I need to. I'm used to people staring and quite frankly my dear, I don't give a damn. I don't live by their words and actions, I live by mine, so as you said the other evening. Screw 'um."

We were laughing, she stopped long enough to utter, "Here's the deal. We'll go Saturday, I'll drive, you can buy me lunch."

I scoffed, "What if I want to drive instead."

"Tucker we both know you still hate driving and even if you did drive, you're still buying me lunch. What time shall I pick you up?"

I pondered the question a moment, "Is 9:30 too early?"

"Not at all." She said. "That'll give me time to take Ella to Laurie's and get here on time. See you Saturday."

"What about tomorrow? Won't I see you walking Ella?"

"Nope. Doctors' appointment. See you Saturday and bring your wallet. You're buying me lunch and paying for gas."

I watched her walk away chuckling to herself. I liked what I was seeing more and more. She may have a limp and prosthesis but none of that would matter if we were snuggled under the covers playing hide the salami. That was the moment I determined that I'd been lazy far too long. I had ceased doing the simple exercises the PT guy had told me to do. I wasn't walking as much as I was supposed to. I'd let myself become lazy and lethargic, something I would need to change in the weeks ahead if I had any sort of chance with Betty.

Saturday started out as a hoot and continued throughout. As I was putting my walker in the trunk she hip bumped me and said.

"I'm not sure the city is ready for us, but we're darned sure ready for them. It's a beautiful day, let's go find you a cart so we can visit pain free more often."

The drive was consumed by chit chat. At one point I mentioned that I found it refreshing being around a woman who didn't cuss all the time. By the time we got to the city we decided we would do an early lunch and shop afterward. The guy at the cart place was the best part of her day. After we'd looked over numerous selections, I picked the one I wanted and was about to pay when the guy asked when I would picking it up.

In a snarky tone Betty replied, "He isn't. You're going to deliver."

The guy bristled, "That will be an extra hundred dollars."

Betty laughed, "We'll spilt the difference. Fifty bucks."

He bristled again, "So you'll throw away a deal like this for fifty dollars?"

Her comeback was priceless, "Are you going to throw away a huge sale and commission for fifty bucks?"

Fifty dollars meant nothing to me, but I loved watching her haggle. The guy shut his mouth, reached forth to shake her hand and said, "Deal."

She laughed, "He's the one paying, you'd better ask him." I nodded okay.

While shaking his hand she wouldn't let go proclaiming. "He wants it delivered by Tuesday."

It was obvious he didn't like it, but he wasn't going to turn away a multi thousand-dollar sale either. We had been quiet on the way home when she suddenly spoke.

"You mentioned me not cussing all the time. As a senior in high school I got connected with a less than savory group for a few months. It was during that time I tasted my first beer, received my first kiss and had to knee a guy in the balls as he tried to feel me up. I also realized as I listened to their filthy mouths that it takes no intelligence to swear all the time. It was like the F word was the only adjective they knew. Don't take me wrong, I've been known to let loose a string of not so nice words, but it isn't my normal behavior."

I asked if she would like to go out for supper. She declined saying she needed to get home, take care of Ella and jump in the tub. With all our activities of the day the prosthesis was bothering her. Though she walked every day she was also able to stop and rest at regular intervals. I didn't see her Sunday although she did text to say she had enjoyed our day together. That was okay with me. I made the decision to begin getting back in shape and started that morning. I started by walking all the way to the boathouse and back using only a cane. After that I used the elastic stretch bands to do basic exercises given to me by the PT guy.

By lunch I knew I had pushed too hard and was miserable. I should have done the minimal, but no, ego got the best of me as I told myself, "you can do this." After a hot bath to soothe my aching body, a light lunch and two Aleve I crawled into bed, not to wake until just after five. Later in the day I was in sweats looking at the lake from the kitchen window wondering what to do for supper when the doorbell rang. "Who could that be?" I wondered. Opening the door I received a soft 'woof' from Ella, as if to say, "Open the door you dummy." With a smile on her face and a pizza in hand Betty smiled and asked, "Hungry?"

It was a warm enough night that we ate on the screened in porch behind the house. Part of our conversation was about the boathouse. The fact that a new foundation was not allowed didn't prevent a new structure from being built on the existing as long as it was sound. I would need a permit from the DNR and any renovations would need to meet present code. Betty described how hers was almost dilapidated when she bought the place, and having gone through the process of having a new structure built on the old foundation she knew what I would need to do.

When Elizabeth showed up Monday morning to clean I asked if she thought Orville would be interested in the boathouse renovation. She stopped what she was doing and stared at me.

"He would if you get approval from the DNR and all the permits. And he'll need to see them in hand before he starts. He built a new structure on the Einer place last year and was fined because old man Einer didn't have the permits even though he told Orville he did. So yeah, if you're willing to do that I'll tell him to stop by for an estimate."

"How soon do you think he could do it?" I asked.

"Well the DNR and permits will take about a month at the earliest. He has a two week opening five weeks from now, that would fit in nicely if you can get the paperwork."

Other than a few stretches with the elastic bands I chose to do nothing more that day. My body needed rest, Tuesday would be a new day. I was taking a mid-morning coffee break when I spotted Betty and Ella getting closer. I waved for her to join me and by the time they reached the porch I had a steaming hot cup of joe waiting for her. After telling me I looked worn out I explained my Sunday workout, she winced several times as I told my story, then out of the blue she blurted.

"You idiot. Why didn't you say something? I would have helped set up a program that doesn't kill you. I went through the same thing you are. I got lazy after PT was finished and had to regain the momentum a year later. I thought I was gonna die that first week, but each week after that got better. Tell you what, after a few weeks why don't you walk with me? We'll keep it short. Are you game?"

"That sounds like something I can do. Thanks Betty."

She quickly interjected, "By the way. That weasel from the cart place said called me to say he would be coming along to deliver the cart right after one o'clock."

I gave her a goofy look, "Why would he be calling you?"

She laughed, "Because he's like every other dirtbag that thinks with the little head. In his mind I'm probably someone who needs a good screwing and he's just the guy to give it to me. I've met that guy numerous times, they just had a different face and body."

We finished our coffee talking about the boathouse. She told me she would pick me up at 3 and take me to the courthouse to begin the process. Her best friend worked in the DNR office, she would call her and set up an appointment that afternoon. We thought that would provide plenty of time for the cart guy to deliver and be gone.

At precisely one o'clock a flatbed truck pulled up to my driveway and waited for me to open the gate. The knucklehead salesman was with him and made the mistake of asking where the babe was. With a scowl I asked, "What babe?"

"You know, the gimpy one that was with you Saturday."

It was then I noticed Betty step off the porch. We had been oblivious to her even being there. It quickly dawned me that she must have canoed over and walked up the path behind the house. I was glad she had Ella constrained because she was growling at stupid.

Betty spoke, "Ella sit. As for you dirtbag, get back in the truck and don't come out or I won't be so eager to have Ella sit."

When everything was said and done I signed the delivery ticket and walked to the passenger side of the truck where I stared up at the idiot salesman.

"You know buddy, assholes like you give every man a bad name. Know this, I will be calling the business you work for. I can't imagine they condone such behavior, and to call her gimpy. How stupid are you? Wait, don't answer that. Just leave."

With them gone we walked to the dock where I took pictures and had them on my phone if questions were asked, and they were. Betty made sure we were the last appointment of the day so it wouldn't be rushed. After an hour and fifteen minutes all the applications were completed and I had an appointment for an inspector to be there on Thursday morning. If all was as I had indicated in the photos he would get the ball rolling right away.

Over the next few weeks we developed a routine where I would be waiting at the gate and walk with her a short way before turning back while she went on. I was doing my stretching and elastic band exercises daily, I was surprised at how quickly my body responded. No, I would never run a marathon or ride a two wheel bike, but as my late father was prone to say. 'If you're upright and taking in sustenance you're way ahead of everybody in the graveyard.'

The boathouse foundation passed the inspection and the paperwork was in the works. Betty's friend thought it would be ready four or five days before I wanted Orville to begin replacing the old structure. Besides our daily walks Betty and I were seeing each other two or three times a week, sometimes my place, other times hers. Ella had become so comfortable with me that Betty began calling her a traitor. A joke that only Betty and I understood. It was becoming more and more obvious that each of us wanted more than our platonic relationship, but neither was willing to take the chance and be hurt. It was Ella who started the change.

On an evening when I was there for supper Ella curled up in the chair I normally sat in across from Betty. When I went to shoo her off she softly growled, as if to say, 'not a chance bud, go sit with my mistress.' Which is what I did, it felt cozy and natural being next to her. We laughed and guffawed the evening away watching an old Robin Williams movie called Patch. I stood to depart just before ten, generally she would wave and say goodnight. This time she walked me to the door where she put her hand on my chest and spoke.

"You know Tuck, I seems as though Ella is trying to tell us something. What do you think?"

"If I may be honest I agree. It also scares the hell out of me. Other than you and a few others I've received a lot of rejection. I know it isn't manly to admit, but I'm afraid of extending myself only to be turned away."

Looking into my eyes I could see that she feared the same. I wanted to kiss her in the worst way and I sensed she wanted me to. Sadly we both stood six inches apart staring into one another's eyes. It was an awkward minute that seemed like an hour before she stepped back, patted my chest and whispered.

"Goodnight Tucker, see you in the morning."

Neither of us wanted to part, but we did. I slowly turned and left. On the cart I looked back, she was standing in the doorway and waved. Other than the headlight beam the world was black as coal, there was no moon to help create nightly shadows. The short ride home made me wonder why I didn't kiss her. It was obvious we both wanted to, what was it holding me back? My limp didn't bother her, the stainless steel plate and screws in my head weren't an issue, I was getting back in shape. Why was I so afraid of going out on a limb?

I waited on the porch the next morning but never saw Betty and Ella. It was like that the next four days. I had left text messages, when I phoned it went to the answering machine right away. I needed to know what was going on so I drove to her place. Not only was the gate closed, but it was also locked. Now I was really confused. Had I said or done something to drive her away? Where would she be? On the fifth day I thought the hell with it, I wasn't going to sit and watch for her, something compelled me to do so anyway.

I heard Ella before I saw them. She was barking at something in the woods. Betty waved as she and Ella walked through the gate on their way to the porch. I wasn't sure what was about to happen so I steeled my heart for the inevitable blow to my ego. What I wasn't ready for was when they were on the porch was her stopping and told Ella to sit. Walking to me she held out her hand as if to say stand, which I did. The next two minutes nearly stopped my heart.

Reaching out she drew me close to her, put her hand behind my neck and proceeded to kiss me passionately, tongues included. We'd been kissing a solid two minutes when she stepped back a few inches.

With a hand on my cheek she spoke, "That's what it's like to kiss a girl with buck teeth. Are you sure this is what you want? I've thought of braces several times but in my mind I'm too old for that. And then there's this."

Reaching back she moved hair away from the ugly scar. "Sure you want to court someone who looks like this? Because that's what you will need to do to win my heart. Court me. I'm not looking for a quick bedroom romp, the next guy I go to bed with will be my husband."

Looking down she tapped her prosthesis against the chair leg, "Do you think you could make love to a girl with three quarters of a leg and not feel pity for her? I don't wear this damned thing all the time you know. I keep it on when you're visiting, otherwise it's off and my leg is resting."