English Rose Ch. 04

Story Info
Sabrina starts to cope...
10.9k words
4.67
36.6k
19

Part 4 of the 8 part series

Updated 10/18/2022
Created 06/29/2009
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Douglas was drunk. He was trying for oblivion but unconsciousness continued to elude him. After Sabrina had left, he'd ordered Martin and Jared from the room and locked himself in his library.

That first night they'd come to check on him, periodically trying the door and encouraging him to eat. The second night they took to banging on the door, refusing to cease until he confirmed that he was, unfortunately, still very much alive. After the third night Jared picked the lock and let himself in.

"My lord?" Jared slipped inside the library, closing the door behind him. He and Martin had agreed that of the two of them Jared was better prepared to deal with Douglas in his current state. One look at his long time friend and employer and Jared had to admit that they'd been wrong. He'd never seen Douglas like this before.

Douglas sat in front of a cold fire. Still wearing the same clothes, he had three days growth along his chin and his hair had come loose of its tie.

"Get out," Douglas said quietly and drained his glass. He had long since finished off the brandy; not wanting to see anyone or risk opening the door he'd moved on to the whiskey and eventually the scotch. Nasty stuff scotch but it got the job done.

Jared stopped and stood staring down at Douglas. "Sir."

"Leave it be, Jared." Douglas said, sounding surprisingly sober. "Leave me be."

"I can't," Jared said. Carefully taking the empty glass from Douglas he set it aside. "It's been three days since you last ate. Let the cook prepare you a light supper while we get you cleaned up."

Douglas resisted Jared's attempts at getting him out of the chair. "She's gone."

"She'll be back," Jared insisted.

"You didn't see her face when she left." Douglas said; the memory of Sabrina's empty eyes as she left would haunt him forever.

Jared didn't bother correcting Douglas. He had in fact watched as Lady Radcliff left, pale but for the handprint on the left side of her face.

"I slapped her," Douglas muttered. "I've never stuck a woman before in my life and I decide to start with my wife."

"You both said and did things you didn't mean," Jared said once again urging Douglas to stand.

Douglas, too tired to fight, allowed himself to be pulled to his feet. Swaying slightly, he said, "She hates me. She hates me for what I did to her but more then that I think she hates me for not telling her. Why didn't I tell her?" Douglas asked, not expecting an answer.

"You were afraid of losing her," Jared answered.

"I lost her anyways," Douglas said allowing himself to be led from the room.

Jared caught Martin's eye as he led Douglas upstairs and shook his head. Douglas was in no shape to eat. For now, they'd get him to bed and worry about food in the morning.

Still mumbling, Douglas collapsed onto the bed as Jared worked to remove his clothes. Too big to move, Jared settled for covering Douglas with an extra blanket before blowing out the candles and leaving the man to sleep.

Sabrina spent two days in a haze before deciding what to do. She couldn't return to Arlington Park and she didn't want to see her family. She had no idea how she would explain her sudden arrival and wasn't sure she was ready to face her father.

She was numb, having retreated to some distant place in her mind where there was nothing, no light, no darkness and no pain. Finally, with nowhere left to go, Sabrina had Tilly make arrangement for them to travel to Heritage Hills where Ellie would be summering with her family.

Ellie passed through the bright foyer on her way to the gardens, stopping short as the footman closed the door. "Sabrina? What are you doing here?"

Sabrina's answer was cut short as three young ladies came laughing into the hall. All three stopped short and gave Sabrina a deep curtsy. Sabrina, completely unable to deal, looked helplessly from the young women to her longtime friend. Suddenly, understanding dawned. "Oh Ellie, your mother's house party! I completely forgot; I'm so sorry! I should go."

"Sabrina? Wait!" Ellie cried in alarm. Reaching out she grabbed her friend's hand, keeping her from leaving. Turning to the other young ladies, she said, "Why don't you join the others in the garden for games and refreshments."

Ellie waited until the three ladies disappeared out the back door before turning and pulling Sabrina in to the library. Closing the door behind her she stared down at where Sabrina sat collapsed on the couch. She'd only ever seen that look on her friend's face once before. "What happened?"

"It was Douglas," Sabrina said softly, having come to accept the truth.

"What was Douglas? Is Lord Radcliff alright?" Ellie asked, concern evident in her voice.

"That night, the abduction, the rape - all of it - it was Douglas." Sabrina shrugged, a sense of inevitability settling around her shoulders.

"Douglas? He...but, why?" Ellie asked, disbelief evident in her voice.

"Revenge," Sabrina said. "For something my father did to his mother, I didn't stay long enough to ask for all the details."

Ellie sat down on the couch next to Sabrina. "What are you going to do?"

"I don't know. For now, I was hoping I could stay with you. I know that you're busy with plans for your wedding." Ellie was to be married at the end of the summer. "But I can't go back to Douglas and I won't go to my family."

"Of course you can stay," Ellie said. "Unfortunately, we're fairly full with the house party. I'll have your stuff brought up to one of the remaining guest rooms. It's small but once the guests are gone I'll have you moved to a larger suite."

"Wherever is fine," Sabrina said, rubbing her temples. "I just need a place to rest, to think and figure out what I'm going to do."

"Of course," Ellie said and rang for a maid. "Why don't you come outside and join the party?"

"I'm not much in the mood for games," Sabrina said, smiling apologetically.

"No, I wouldn't think so but come and sit outside," Ellie urged. "It's a beautiful day out and you look like you could use some sun."

Sabrina knew she was pale but it wasn't from lack of sun. Still, she'd spent the past three days holed up in her rooms, some time outside would do her some good. "Alright."

"Good," Ellie said. Standing, she shook out her skirts and led Sabrina from the library.

Outside in the gardens several young lords and ladies had paired up and were engaged in a variety of games. A large assortment of light foods and drinks were set up to allow the guests to refresh themselves at their leisure. Dinner would be served late, during the night's ball, and the late afternoon luncheon would see them all through until then.

Sabrina greeted Ellie's mother the Countess and several other guests all of whom she knew from her time in London. She had no doubt that her appearance would cause speculation - especially once it became obvious that Douglas would not be joining her.

Marcus Edington dropped from the saddle, a nod of thanks to the stable lad that stepped forward and took his horse. "Make sure you cool him down before you stable him for the night."

"Yes, my lord," the lad said and hurried off.

Marcus took a deep breath and sighed. He had ridden over from his neighboring estate wondering at his wits the entire way. The Mills' had been his neighbors for years but more then that they were friends. It's why he attended the Countess' annual summer house party. He hated these things with a passion but knew that his name added a certain...edge to the guest list.

Staring up at the front door, Marcus braced himself for dealing with simpering females and arrogant lords and knocked. Hopefully, the Countess had stocked his favorite brandy.

A moment later, following a footman, Marcus stepped out into the gardens. For a moment he went unnoticed and was able to survey those gathered below.

The Countess stood off to one side, watching to ensure the guests were having a good time and directing the staff. Her daughter Ellie stood in the center of everything, her bright blonde hair a beacon. Beside her stood her fiance, Lord Stephen Mathews. One look at the man and everyone could see that he was positively besotted with his soon to be bride.

The rest of the crowd was unsurprising, the typical lords and ladies gathered to entertain and be entertained in return. Marcus noted that there wasn't a married lady in the bunch and sighed.

Taking a deep breath, Marcus was preparing to step into the crowd when a sudden movement off to his left drew his attention. Sitting alone, her face turned up to the sun was the new Lady Radcliff. Turning once again to survey the crowd, Marcus confirmed that her husband appeared to be absent. Interesting, Marcus thought.

Sabrina Radcliff was a close friend of the Lady Mills and a frequent visitor to Heritage Hills. She often attended the annual house party however he hadn't expected to see her there so soon after her wedding and certainly not without husband in tow.

Radcliff had made it clear in the weeks leading up to their nuptials that attention from any other male was unwelcome.

Changing directions, Marcus skirted the games and slipped into the seat beside Sabrina. "Good afternoon, my lady."

Sabrina turned towards the familiar voice. "Good afternoon, my lord," Sabrina said and turned back to watching the games.

It wasn't exactly a dismissal but the message was clear, Lady Radcliff wished to be alone. Marcus ignored her silent warning but didn't try to engage her in further conversation. For the time being he contented himself with simply watching her, wondering at the quiet sadness he saw on her face.

He'd known Sabrina for years, was only a few years older then her though the differences in their genders kept them at a distance. At least, it had up until she'd become Lady Radcliff, safely married and eligible for his attention.

Sabrina was well aware of Lord Edington's presence. She was also well aware of his reputation and his penchant for married ladies. Neither of which appealed to her. "Do you plan to join the games?" she finally asked him.

"Not if I can help it," Marcus said.

"Why, pray tell, do you bother attending these things if you detest them so?" Sabrina asked.

Marcus smiled the censure in her voice. "A favor for a friend."

Sabrina's eyes narrowed as she considered him. "Certainly not the Countess?"

"No," Marcus said, surprisingly offended that she would think him only capable of doing a favor for a lady if he was sleeping with her. "Our families have shared a border for years, I'm just being neighborly."

"I see," Sabrina said.

"Do you?" Marcus asked.

"Yes," Sabrina said. "There isn't anything I wouldn't do for Ellie."

"Is that why you're here?" Marcus asked. "As a favor to the young Lady Mills?"

"No." Sabrina said and left it at that.

They sat in silence watching as the games came to an end and the guests headed inside. Dinner and dancing came next and what promised to be a late night. In addition to the houseguests, the local gentry were invited to attend and would be arriving shortly.

Sabrina, reluctant to leave the quiet solitude of the gardens, finally rose. "Thank you for keeping me company, my lord."

Marcus smiled sardonically, "It was nothing," he assured her. They had spent the afternoon in near silence, exchanging the occasional commentary on the guests and their success or failures at the games. Still, he would have to admit that it was an almost pleasant way to spend an afternoon. "Perhaps you'll allow me to escort you into dinner?"

"I'm sorry, my lord, but I'm not feeling up to dinner or dancing this evening. I plan to retire early." Sabrina turned and headed inside, surprised when Lord Edington fell into step beside her.

"That's a shame," Marcus said. "I suspect that you are the most interesting guest in attendance this evening."

"I doubt that," Sabrina said but smiled at the compliment. "I fear I was dreadfully boring this afternoon."

"Nonsense, I prefer silence to inane chatter." Marcus held open the door leading into the main part of the house. From there Sabrina could either join the others in the sitting room or slip upstairs quietly and unnoticed.

Smiling in appreciation, Sabrina turned to Marcus. "I'll bid you a goodnight, my lord. I hope you enjoy yourself this evening."

Marcus watched her as she slipped upstairs quietly and turned down the family wing. Again, he found himself wondering at her unexpected appearance, sans husband.

"Leave her be."

Marcus turned at the order and found the Countess watching him through narrowed eyes. "Hello, Bettie."

"Don't 'Bettie' me," Beatrice Mills said. "That one is not for you,"

Beatrice said, indicating the top of the stairs.

Marcus slipped his hands into the pockets of his trousers. "I was simply keeping the lady company."

"I know you, Marcus and I've seen that look in your eyes before."

Beatrice adored her neighbor but was well aware of his faults.

"What look?" Marcus asked.

"That look you get when you spot something...interesting." Beatrice frowned; her daughter had told her of Sabrina's unexpected arrival and hinted at a strain between the young woman and her new husband. She suspected something more but trusted that it was none of her business.

"There are plenty of other eligible ladies for you to trifle with,

Sabrina is not one of them."

"I beg to differ; there is, in fact, a noticeable lack of 'eligible' women at this party. Why do you insist on stocking these things with young, unmarried ladies?" Marcus asked.

"Marcus, the purpose of these things..." Beatrice started.

"I know, I know," Marcus said, holding up his hand in surrender. "I promise, I'll behave myself and do my best to entertain all of your guests."

Beatrice's eyes narrowed as she considered the meaning behind his words. "You'll leave Sabrina alone?" She couldn't help feeling protective of the young woman. Sabrina had practically grown up with Ellie and was considered part of the family.

"I promise I won't 'trifle' with her," he said. "Now, shouldn't we get ready for dinner?"

Beatrice stared him down for another moment before nodding her head. "Your man sent over a change of clothes earlier today. I had them pressed and hung up for you in one of the smaller guests rooms upstairs." Motioning a footman forward, she said, "Please show Lord Edington to his room."

"Yes, ma'am," the footman said.

Marcus gave Beatrice a small bow before following the footman upstairs, noting that his rooms were at the opposite side of the house from Sabrina.

Douglas became aware of his surroundings slowly and painfully. His headed pounded, his eyes were dry and gritty and his tongue tasted as if something had crawled inside his mouth and died. Carefully, he sat up hanging his legs off the side of the bed and reached for the bell-pull.

Martin entered a moment later carrying a tray laden down with hot food and tea. "Good afternoon, sir."

Douglas grunted, "Where's Jared?"

"I'm here, sir," Jared said, following Martin into the room.

"How long was I out?" Douglas asked.

"Including your time in the library, five days." Jared said.

Douglas cursed. "Have my steward meet me downstairs in half an hour. Do you have any idea where my wife is?"

"No," Jared said. "Begging your pardon but you're going to need more then half an hour to get cleaned up."

Douglas glared at his man until he ran a hand over his chin. Feeling more then just a five o'clock shadow, he had to concede to the fact that he was well and truly a mess. "Very well, have a bath brought up and my steward here in an hour."

"Yes, sir," Jared said preparing to leave the room.

"And Jared," Douglas said.

"Yes, sir?"

"Find my wife!" Douglas ordered.

Douglas pressed the heel of his hand to his forehead. His head pounded hard enough that he was sure it would split open under the pressure. He had done a good job of nearly drinking himself into oblivion, unfortunately, there was no way to stay there.

Realizing he was wallowing, Douglas looked up in time to see Martin unloading the tray onto a table near the fireplace. "Thank you, Martin."

"Of course, my lord. Will there be anything else?" Martin asked.

"Please see that the library is restored to its usual order and throw out any remaining scotch." Douglas said.

Martin gave a small smile. "Already done, sir."

"Good," Douglas said and sat down to eat. "I'll be down shortly, should my steward arrive before me please see that he is settled in the library and let him know that I will want a full report on the repairs when I arrive."

"Yes, sir." Martin said and left the room, closing the door softly behind him.

Douglas sat and ate watching as several members of his staff hauled up buckets of hot water for his bath. The food helped to settle his stomach and as much as he hated to admit it the tea seemed to settle his head. He thought perhaps he detected a trace of laudanum, just enough to take the edge off the pain, and was thankful.

As his mind cleared his thoughts turned to Sabrina. He recalled every moment of their last encounter in stark detail. He played the scene over and over again, seeing the hurt and betrayal filling her eyes followed by an emptiness that scared him.

She had every right to be hurt and angry, to no longer trust him. His only hope was that she cared for him enough to give him a chance to explain and perhaps a chance to make it up to her. He couldn't take back what he'd done but he refused to believe that there was no hope for them. He just needed to see her, to talk to her - if only she'd listen.

An hour later Douglas let himself into his library, pleased to find the room clean and his steward waiting patiently. "Good afternoon, Henry."

"Good afternoon, sir." Henry stood as Douglas entered the room and took his place behind the desk. He didn't wait for his employer to sit before jumping into business. "Here are the latest reports regarding the repairs including a timeline for completion and an estimated cost."

Douglas glanced over the report, double-checked that the figures where in line with what he'd discussed with the company doing the repairs and signed it. "And the provisions for the injured and dead?"

"Next page," Henry said. "All but one individual has been released from the hospital and all their bills paid. Arrangements have been made to cover the funeral costs for those that died as well as pensions for those that had families. Luckily, the number of deceased was smaller then we first feared."

"Good," Douglas said. "How are things with the insurance company?" Douglas was one of the few that carried insurance on all his commercial properties as well as his private estates. The insurance company was arguing the cause of the fire and insisting that it wasn't covered under his policy.

"They're standing by their position that the fire was intentionally set and/or the building wasn't up to code." Henry gave a slight smile at Douglas' snort. There were no 'codes,' which was one of the things Douglas was working to change. "I've started interviewing solicitors to review the insurance policy and begin negotiations with the insurance company."

Douglas nodded, satisfied. "It appears that you've managed well during my...absence."

Henry had worked for Douglas for years and knew what his employer expected. He was a fair and reasonable man, which made working for him both easy and a pleasure. "Thank you, my lord. Is there anything else?"

Douglas was interrupted by a knock on the door. "Enter."

"Begging your pardon, sir." Jared said. "I thought you might like an update regarding Lady Radcliff."

Douglas motioned Jared into the room. Turning to Henry he said, "That will be all, thank you for coming."

"Of course," Henry said and gathered his things.

Douglas waited until Henry closed the door behind him. "Well?"