Entropy and Sorrow's Kiss

Story Info
Alan Burnett's Story, from the Memory Warehouse
45.2k words
12.6k
12
6
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Part I: Debbie

Alan Burnett listened to the same 'oldies' station he had for years now; the music was predictably comfortable and the commercials were kind of funny – sometimes anyway, and besides, almost everyone else in the department listened to the station. You could always count on a happy mix of sixties stuff, but usually they played more seventies music. The mix filled his time with memories of his parents and his childhood, and when things on the street were slow, like they were this morning, sometimes the music kept him awake.

So, Burnett was cruising down memory lane while driving through suburban neighborhoods in the southwest part of the City of Dallas, keeping an eye out for drunk drivers and suspicious vehicles at two thirty in the morning, and he was bored, but not tired, yet. Still, he wanted some coffee in the worst way, and lunch couldn't come soon enough.

ELPs Lucky Man came over the radio, one of his dad's favorites, and he turned up the volume a little as he crossed over the interstate highway that bisected this part of the city. Traffic on the broad roadway appeared light, so he turned down the 'on ramp' that led to the highway and pulled over onto the left shoulder and turned off his patrol car's engine. He listened to the music, but even so he turned it down a bit, and began 'listening' for drunks.

It was something one of his FTOs, or Field Training Officers, had taught him years ago – when he was a rookie. Drunk drivers have a hard time keeping their cars in one lane, or so he was told, and they tend to drift wildly from lane to lane the drunker they are. Highway lanes have little raised bumps on them, called BotsDots after the engineers who developed them, and even though drunks swing from lane to lane they tend to drive on the Dots for extended periods of time, too, and probably because they know – if they are – they're not weaving too badly. His FTO, a great cop named Everett Tomberlin, had called this rumbling sound 'the mating call of the DUI,' and Burnett had never forgotten the lesson. When you heard that distinctive extended rumble coming your way, you almost knew there was a drunk behind the wheel.

He hadn't been on 'Deep Nights' in years, 'Nights' being the midnight to eight in the morning rotation, but the shift sergeant had called him in to work when a couple of guys called in sick. He really hated this shift, as well as the types of calls you got on 'Nights', but one good thing could be said for 'Nights: the shift was rarely dull. You could always count on lots of family disturbances, more than a few businesses would be burglarized before sunrise, and there were always a handful of really, really bad accidents as the night wore on, yet there was a real rhythm to the work because more often than not all these types of events happened at curiously predictable times.

Disturbances were most predictable from midnight until two in the morning, yet even so Thursday nights, that night before 'payday', were the worst. People fight about money – a lot: their lack of money, who is spending the most money, and how irresponsibly, and it was really odd how violent these fights became. Even so, fights late on a Thursday night and into Friday morning were usually bad ones, by any standard. Thursdays with full moon out? Awful, really awful 'knock-down drag-out' fights were the norm, and lots of women went to the hospital after these, and more than a few would make the one way trip to the Medical Examiner's in the basement at Parkland.

Burglaries were, generally speaking, less predictable timewise, yet even so burglaries on 'Nights' followed definite patterns. Most occurred at businesses closed for the night – and not houses, and they usually occurred between three and five in the morning, after cleaning crews left for the night but before the targeted company's earliest employees showed up for work the next morning. Burglars on 'Nights' tended to be well armed too, and therefore more dangerous, but they were only marginally more intelligent than their daytime brethren – which is to say they tended to be a little less stupid than the almost moronic burglars you typically ran into on Days.

Drunks, on the other hand, tend to be out all night, but from two in the morning on, drunks tend to view streets and highways as their personal playground, and as a result that's when the really bad MVAs, or Motor Vehicle Accidents happen. Still, the really, really bad drunks hit the street about a half hour after bars and saloons are required to close, or two thirtyish, and Burnett knew that as entertaining as it sometimes is to tuck in behind a drunk and tail them for a while, doing so carries risks. Drunks can simply loose it at any time and pass out behind the wheel, and there's no telling what that might lead to but it's never anything good. Even more entertaining, Burnett remembered from his time on Nights with Tomberlin, is to stay behind a drunk for a while, then pull up along side their car and stare at them while driving along. This approach carries risks too, like the drunk freaking out and taking a sudden detour through your patrol car, but more often than not it's like watching someone undergo an intensely religious experience, what cops call the 'come to Jesus' moment. Drunks, when they saw a patrol car driving alongside their car, tend to become the best, most attentive drivers imaginable – for about thirty seconds, anyway. Then they forget the speed limit and before you know it they're driving along at thirty 'miles per' – in a fifty-five zone on the interstate. Still, the most hilarious thing to do to a drunk is to simply follow them for a few miles, then flip on the strobes. This usually results in all kinds of wildly amusing gyrations, Burnett recalled, both outside the drunk's car, and in, and if the drunk makes it to the side of the road intact you could almost always count on finding the poor wretch sitting in a puddle of urine and excrement.

So, Alan Burnett sat by the side of the road, listening to Lucky Man and checking his rearview mirror from time to time for the loom of approaching headlights when – voila – he heard the mating call...the sustained rumble of tires thumping over BotsDots. He made sure his car's headlights were off, then turned on the engine just as the suspect car rumbled under the overpass just behind his patrol car.

It was a red sports car, he saw, some sort of ovoid shaped Infiniti or Lexus, and the driver was having a really hard time keeping it between the lines. The eastbound highway was five lanes wide here and traffic was light, yet this poor slug was having a hard time keeping the car in any one of them; Burnett slipped his patrol car into Drive and sprinted down the on ramp, easily catching up to the red car in less than a minute. Burnett decided to try the 'drive alongside the drunk's car' technique for a while and pulled all the way over to the leftmost lane; once he was tucked away nicely off the car's rear quarter he started watching the drunk – a middle aged man with disheveled blond hair – then almost immediately he caught sight of another person in the car.

This other person in the car had very red hair, but that was about all Burnett could see because this person's head was bobbing up and down in the driver's lap at a pretty fair clip. "Oh boy. Here we go," Burnett sighed as he called dispatch. "2112, possible signal forty eastbound on I-20, passing 67 at this time, on X-ray seven, Tom Oscar Peter, George Union November."

"2112 at 0-2-40 hours.

Burnett watched as the bobbing head picked up the pace, and the driver began frantically gripping and releasing the steering wheel as things seemed to approach that climactic moment – which apparently was much sooner than expected because the red car veered sharply to the right and ran right up the steep grassy embankment that lined the highway. Burnett braked hard and flipped on his strobes and pulled onto the shoulder behind the red car.

Burnett got out of his patrol car and walked up to the driver's side window and knocked on the glass.

The guy behind the wheel looked up at Burnett like he'd just swallowed a squirrel, while the girl still down in this guy's lap was apparently unfazed and boring on in for the kill, dancing away on the head of the poor fella's dick like she was auditioning for a porn flick. His hands still flexed on the steering wheel, but he looked up at Burnett and grinned.

"Let me know when she's through, okay?" Burnett said, and the guy actually shot him the 'thumbs-up'.

"Un-fucking-believable," Burnett said, just as another patrol car slid-in behind his on the side of the road.

"What's up?" Paul Cotes asked as he walked up to Burnett.

"Gal up front is playing a solo on the bone-a-fone. I think she's about to finish the piece."

"No shit. Will wonders never cease." Cotes yawned, rubbed his nose. "Slow night, huh."

Cotes and Burnett walked up to the window and peered inside. The driver's face now looked a little strange; his eyes were squinting, his teeth were locked in a tight over-bight, and his upper lip and nose were quivering.

"Ya know, that man kinda looks like a rodent," Cotes said, scratching his ear.

"Woodchuck," Burnett replied. "Definitely a woodchuck."

"I can see that. Whoops, I think we're about there!"

Woodchuck-man's head was flailing back and forth now, and his partner-in-crime's head was bobbing up and down so furiously fast neither Cotes nor Burnett could see her distinctly anymore, then Woodchuck-man grabbed the steering wheel so hard it looked like it was bending, and his legs went rigid.

Both Cotes and Burnett started applauding, and Cotes let slip a whistle that nearly deafened Burnett. The girl looked up from Woodchuck-man's lap when she was finished, her mouth utterly full of the rodent's cum, and she smiled at them.

Cotes lost it at than point and started laughing so hard that Burnett did too, a little, anyway, then he walked up to the driver's window and motioned the driver to roll down the window.

"Are we through now?" Burnett asked.

Cotes, still laughing, declared: "And the East German judge gives that one a ten, ladies and gentlemen. Perfect form, and what wonderful form on that follow through!"

The girl started blowing bubbles with the rodent's cum. Cotes grew silent, almost mesmerized before saying to one and all: "Hot damn. I think I just met the next Mrs Cotes."

"Got a driver's license, sir?" Burnett asked dryly.

"Yup. Gimme a minute to get it together, okay?"

"Been drinking, sir?"

"Actually, no, I haven't."

Burnett leaned over and looked into the car more closely, saw the shoulder boards of a four-striper on the man's uniform jacket – and the wings over his left breast pocket.

"American?" Burnett asked.

The man nodded.

"Married?"

He nodded his head again.

"This your wife?"

"Nope," the Captain said.

"Can you get where you're going without killing anyone, Captain?"

"Yessir."

"Well, y'all have a good night."

"Yeah," Cotes added, "y'all come again, and real soon now, y'hear!"

Burnett rolled his eyes, looked at the girl, a really pretty flight attendant who did indeed look like she was pretty good at what she was doing.

"Thanks, Officer. I mean it. Thanks a million."

"I know the score, Captain. I write this up, you lose your job. That about right?"

"Yessir."

"Well, I reckon y'all better get going. And I hope I don't see you again out here, Captain."

"Understood."

"Adios, muchachos!" the girl called out to Burnett and Cotes as they walked back to down the grassy slope to their cars. "Thanks!"

"Can't wait to fly the friendly skies again," Cotes said as he got to his patrol car.

"That's United's slogan, not American's."

"Who gives a fuckin' shit! That was some righteous tail in there, bro!"

"Reckon she was," Burnett said as he slid behind the wheel, still seeing her wrecked mouth. "2112," he called into dispatch, stifling a yawn.

"2112," came the reply.

"Show units clear, Signal forty unfounded, show this as a welfare concern, and clear, contact made."

"2112, clear at 0-3 hundred, K-D-L 0-0-1."

"What time are you checking out for grub," Cotes asked through their open windows.

Burnett looked at his watch: "0330."

"Where?"

"Denny's, I guess."

"Okay. Maybe I'll catch you there."

"Right. Later."

Cotes drove off while Burnett made the entry for this call on his DAR, or Daily Activity Report, then he too got back on the road, heading for Overland, and lunch – hopefully – at three thirty.

"2112," dispatch called, and Burnett groaned.

"12, go ahead."

"Signal Five report, 5-1-0-0-1 Atchison Way, apartment 41 F Frank."

"12, Code Five." 'What the Hell,' Burnett thought, 'an apartment hit in the middle of the night?'

"2112, en route at 0-3-20 hours."

"Well, there goes lunch," Burnett said to the car; he made a u-turn and headed towards the concentration of apartment buildings over by the mall, and wound his way through the warrens until he found the address. He grabbed his clipboard and notepad and walked up a million stairs to the apartment and knocked on the door – even though it was apparent the door had been kicked-in.

A girl answered the door, she looked about twenty five years old, and was wearing a nurse's uniform.

"Ma'am, I'm Officer Burnett. You've had a break-in?"

"Uh, yeah," the girl said, clearly upset, "I'm not really sure what to do right now, ya know?"

"Have you been through the place?"

"Yes."

"Okay," he replied, "but probably best not to do that until we check out the place first, in case you were to walk in on somebody."

"Oh, shit! I didn't think of that."

"Is there much missing, Ma'am?"

"Not much, some jewelry, my iPad, a phone charger, that kind of stuff."

"A phone charger?"

"Yes, why?"

"Kind of weird, I guess. For what kind of phone?"

"A Motorola, I think."

"You think?"

"It was for my boyfriends phone."

"Oh, not yours?"

"Nope. I got one of those Samsung things a while ago. The big one, ya know?"

"And your boyfriend? He around?"

"Nope, we broke up. Say, you don't think he did it, do you?"

"Does he still have a key?"

"No. I got it back from him."

"Uh-huh. Got a phone number for him?"

"No, I sure don't."

"That's okay. Look, I'm going to poke around here for a bit, look for finger prints, and I'm going to photograph the shoe print on the door, take some measurements, then I'll need to speak with you again and get some information for the report. Ought to take about a half hour or so, then I'll be out of your hair..."

He found a few possible prints, got his kit from the car and dusted the area down, and managed to get a few good ones. He walked around the doorway, imaged and measured the shoe print, then went to find the girl and talk with her again.

She was apparently just getting out of the shower when he knocked on her bedroom door.

"Just a minute," she answered.

"I'll be out here."

She came out a minute or so later, wearing a red beach towel wrapped under a white terrycloth robe.

"You ready?" she asked, perhaps a bit more nervous now than she had been when he first met her.

"As I'll ever be. I'll need your name, date of birth, phone number and whatever you can tell me about your ex-boyfriend.

"Debbie Wassermann," she began, and he had all he needed for his report in just a few minutes. He put away his notepad and gave her his business card. "This has the service number for my report, and you'll need that for any insurance claim you make..."

"What time do you get off?" she interrupted.

"What?"

"What time do you get off? From work?"

"I'm sorry, but what has that got..."

"Well...I'm not real sure I want to be alone. If you know what I mean."

"No, what do you mean?"

"Could you stay here a while?"

"No, I'm sorry. Is there anyone you can call?"

"No, no one, but what I'm saying, Officer Burnett, is that I don't want to be alone. Now. Tonight."

"Look, I'm sorry, but I hope I haven't given you the impression that..."

"Nope, you sure haven't."

And then, she started to cry.

"Uh, Ma'am?"

"Look, I'm sorry, okay?" She came up to him and hugged him. "I'm just scared, I guess I don't know what's going on."

"I understand."

She looked up at him, looked into his eyes, and he thought she was going to try and kiss him. "Miss Wassermann, you know, under any other circumstances..."

"So? When you get off work, could you come over?"

"You know how many rules I'd be breaking if..."

"I'm not gonna tell anyone."

"Tell you what. I've missed my lunch break, so how about I come over around nine or so, and I'll take you to breakfast."

"Sure, that'd be nice." She wiped her tears away on her robe. "I mean, I didn't mean...anyway, I'm sorry for this."

"That's okay, Ma'am. Nothing to be sorry about."

"You see, I just don't get to meet many people, not like you, anyway, and you have nice eyes. They're honest, dependable looking eyes."

He looked at her, didn't quite know what to say, but Alan Burnett hadn't had a serious date in a long, long time, and this girl was seriously cute in a homegrown, freckle-faced sort of way, and besides, her legs were the best he'd seen in way too long.

She held him when he turned to leave, and she pulled his face to hers and kissed him. He responded to her, and almost gasped when the girl rubbed up against his groin with her thigh. Then he really felt like responding to her.

"That's so you don't forget," she whispered.

"I won't," Burnett said, his voice trembling. "You can count on that."

"Nine o'clock?"

"Unless I have a late call."

"Please. I really don't want to be alone."

"Okay. See you then."

She leaned forward and kissed him again on the lips, then shut the door behind him when he left.

He walked down to his patrol car and got behind the wheel, wiped a little sweat from his brow and checked into service with dispatch.

He looked at his watch; less than two hours 'til shift change. He needed to write up this report then fuel the car, and he might have enough time to get some coffee somewhere along the way...

+++++

Burnett sat in his ancient BMW outside the apartment on Atchison Way, wondering what he should do about Debbie Wassermann for the hundredth time in as many minutes, then he recalled the old adage about a stiff prick having no conscience and shook his head, so he opened the door to whatever lay ahead. He walked up to her apartment, knocked on the door, and it sprang open immediately – revealing an almost completely different girl.

She was not quite as tall as he was, maybe five-nine or so, and her deep brunette hair was long and brushed out to silky perfection. She had on a bright sun dress and cute little sandals and if anything her legs looked even better now, but there was something really special about this girl, he saw. She was cute as Hell, true enough, but she looked like something out of an Ivy League college catalogue. She had smart, inquisitive eyes, and a vibrant personality. Maybe the lonely girl routine had been just that, because this confident, alluring woman hardly looked like the same frightened girl.

"Wow! Look at you!"

She beamed, then pirouetted for him. "You like?"

He stood back and looked at her, but his eyes roamed south then locked on her legs – and wouldn't budge. "Wow," was about all he could manage.

She danced forward and kissed him again, harder and longer than those first plaintive kisses. "Still wanna do breakie?" she teased, measuring his intent.

He stepped back, looked her in the eyes. "You know, I think I do."

"Ooh, are you gonna get all serious on me, Officer Burnett?"

"Alan."

"Alan. I like that."

"Would that be a problem, Miss Wassermann?"

Now it was her turn to step back, and when she did Burnett witnessed a startling metamorphosis.