Every Time I Hear That Song

Story Info
He goes home for 10 year Reunion and to face ex-wife.
15.8k words
4.29
169k
156
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
ragnarok1
ragnarok1
1,225 Followers

This story is based on a song that I heard on the radio. It is written and sung by Brandi Carlile. I thought "This would make for an interesting story." I've heard the song a number of times over the last few months so I figure it's time. The name of the song is 'Every Time I Hear That Song'. I suggest that you listen to the song as just entertainment once then listen again to pay attention to the words. The protagonist in my story is a man because I can't even try to understand the mind of a woman so I couldn't write it that way.

The protagonist is a Marine and I want to apologize in advance if I am in error on any aspect of the Corps. I do want to say thank you to all that have served and are serving in any branch. You deserve all the thanks and praise that Americans can give you.

I hope you enjoy. Once again, any and all comments are welcome.

*****

I was driving back to Ada Oklahoma, my home town, the first time in 6 years. I had flown into Dallas from Kuwait. I was on a 2 week leave from my career in the Marines. I say "career" because I've been in for 6 years and plan on staying in until I retire or die.

My name is Kurt Redwing I am part Chickasaw Indian and thus the last name. You can't even guess how many times I've been asked if I liked, or played hockey. I don't, but of course I had to know about it anyways. With my last name it would have been rude to not be able to at least carry on a conversation about it. I've been all over the world but never been to Detroit.

I really loved my life in the Corps. I've gotten to see a lot of interesting people and interesting places. The best part about it is the "brothers" I've obtained. I would die for them and they for me. We've got a close knit group of Marines, in fact we're Raiders. You have probably heard of the Army Rangers or the Navy Seals, we're better than them, we're the Marine Corps' elite force.

I had rented a car in Dallas, a Corvette, why not go to my 10 year Reunion in style. The car was loaded. Not being able to find a good classic rock or hard rock station on the radiom I decided to take advantage of the Sirius XM option. I was going up the channels when I hit Channel 10, it is the 2000's music, so I thought why not listen to tunes I grew up with.

I was tooling down the highway, going about 80, singing along to the songs of my youth. Wow, I missed those. Then it happened, a love song came on the radio, it was our song. I knew distinctly when, where, and in what circumstance I last heard that song. I heard it blaring from our stereo system in our apartment on that fateful Friday night around 8:30. In fact, I had started listening exclusively to classic rock or hard rock so that I wouldn't hear that song. I no longer listened to country songs. My "brothers" knew it but I never told them why. It brought back painful memories, memories of a time with my ex-wife Maggie. The boys didn't even know I had been married. It was a chapter in my life I wanted to forget.

I bet she will be at the Reunion. That is going to be awkward. I wanted to forget about her and our marriage, but I couldn't. I couldn't because in a small way I still loved her.

Maggie and I had grown up together. Ada is a small town so all the kids went to the same high school. We had been friends in elementary and junior high, but in our sophomore year we became an item, we were inseparable. I don't know what she saw in me, at the time I was 5'5" tall and about 98 lbs. Yep, I was a weakling. She was also 5'5" so we saw eye to eye, both literally and figuratively. We knew what we wanted out of life; get married, buy a house, have 3 kids, go to church, movies, party occasionally and enjoy each other.

In our junior year I started growing, by the end of the year I was 5'9" but we still saw eye to eye on our future. She had started growing too but out rather than up. That got the attention of some of the other guys in our class and some of the seniors also. She turned them all down flat though, she was my girl.

During the summer of our junior year we had gotten extremely close, physically that is. We didn't go all the way but we definitely knew each other's body. We both wanted to wait though it was hard (in more ways than one). I guess you can say we respected each other and wanted our first time to be special.

When we went back to school in the fall we were already thought of as a couple. Fellow classmates never talked about Kurt or Maggie, it was always Kurt and Maggie. We were the class couple.

I had continued to grow taller, by the end of the school year I was 6'1" but I only weighed 135. I was lanky and somewhat uncoordinated. When you grow 4" in a year you have a hard time getting used to how your body works. I was now 8 inches taller than Maggie, a skinny beanpole and she was a voluptuous 5'5" with curves in all the right places. We definitely were the "odd couple".

Prom night, our song came on, the dance floor filled up. Somehow to most of the couples there it felt like the end of our senior year, the end of childhood, and the end of innocence. When the song was over we walked out of the dance, went to my dad's Chrysler 300 he had let me borrow, drove to the motel I had reserved, and went into our room.

I turned on the clock radio softly to the country station and we started making out. We both knew that tonight was the night. We had taken off our clothes, climbed in bed and were apprehensively caressing each other. I whispered "I love you" as I had said hundreds of times before, but this one seemed like the first time.

"I love you too Kurt" she whispered back.

We consummated our love. I was lost in the moment. When I came out of my daze our song was playing on the radio. It made it even more special, it made it right. I knew we would be together always.

"Back to reality." I said to myself as I drove down the highway. The song was half over but I couldn't listen to it anymore. I started going up the channels until I found Channel 38, a hard rock channel, Queens of the Stone Age were playing. I cranked it up and rocked out, trying to forget my memories.

Pulling into my parent's driveway I parked behind a Lexus. It looked like my dad upgraded. As I was getting out I was met by my mother. She had run out of the house upon hearing me pull up. She threw her arms around me and hugged me, I hugged her back tightly. It was the first time since my basic training graduation that I was able to do that. We had talked over the phone and more recently skyped, but it definitely wasn't the same.

My dad came out of the house stoically. He walked up to me, saluted me, and then shook my hand. I pulled him in for a bear hug. Boy I missed him, he had taught me how to be a good person. The Corps expanded on that and taught me how to be a good man.

I grabbed my duffle bag and garment bag and we went into the house. I went to put my bags in "my room", it was no longer my room, in fact it was no longer a bedroom. My mom had turned it into a hobby room. Well I guess I should have known. So I headed to my sister's room, or what was my sister's room. It had been turned into a library/den for my dad. I turned around and my mom was there.

"We have an inflatable mattress downstairs." She said to me apologetically. "Sorry honey."

"No problem mom. I've slept in a lot worse places." I grinned knowing the truth of that statement. On some of our missions we didn't even get to sleep. We went 40 hours on energy packs and pure adrenaline.

I took my bags down to the basement. Not much had changed down there. I had spent many hours (too many) playing video games down here. I had also spent a lot of time with Maggie down here. If my parents only knew what we were doing I would still be grounded.

The saying is "You can never go home again." I truly could feel that now. My life here seems like such a distant past. My life now is the fulfillment of everything leading up to it. It is who I am and who I should be. I could never go back now.

After depositing my bags I went back upstairs. My mom was in the kitchen, as usual. "We're having pot roast for supper honey, I hope you're hungry."

"For your home cooked pot roast? You bet!" I said as I hugged her again.

"Kurt, I can't believe how much you've changed. I know I saw you on skype, but to see you in person, I just can't believe it."

I had changed, I was still 6'1" but now I was 235 lbs almost pure muscle. I had 8% body fat, they didn't want us getting lower than that because when we were out on a mission we didn't know when we would be able to eat. We had to have some fat reserves. My upper arms were 19 inches around. My thighs were 26.

"That reminds me, mom, I need a suit for the reunion where would you suggest? I will need it tailored."

"I'd take a drive up to Oklahoma City, either Joseph A. Banks or Men's Wearhouse. You should probably call them to see if they can get one tailored within a week though. While you're there you can go to see Kira. She just started her new job." My mom told me.

Kira was my little sister, actually my only sister. She was 3 years younger than me. She had just finished law school at Oklahoma City University.

I called Jos. A Banks and asked if they could get a suit tailored by next Saturday. They told me yes but I would have to get there early tomorrow morning to get measured. I called Kira, "Hey sis, how are you doing?"

"Kurt, are you home?" she asked.

"I'm back in Ada if that's what you mean. I no longer live here so it is no longer my home. In fact, I don't even have a bedroom to sleep in." I said smirking at my mom. "I've got to sleep on a blow up mattress in the basement."

"Well, when can I see you?" She asked.

"I have to come in to the capital tomorrow morning." I said. "So can we grab lunch somewhere?"

"That sounds great, I know the perfect place. Pick me up at my office around 11:30. I want to show you off to my coworkers."

She gave me the address and I said, "See you then Peanut."

"Wow, no one's called me that in years, you really know how to put a smile on my face." She said.

"See you tomorrow." I said.

My mom looked at me with a strange look on her face. "Peanut? You haven't called her that since she was in grade school. Where did that come from?"

"She is still my little sister even if she is 25." I explained.

I turned to the living room. "So dad, why don't you show me your new car, you're stepping up!"

"Well since we don't have to replenish the refrigerator every other day like we did when you were living here I had some extra cash just lying around." He said with a smile.

"Hey, I had help." I responded.

"Yeah Kira, always on a diet, really hurt our food budget." He said sarcastically.

"Well, ... my friends helped." I said.

"Yeah I talked to their parents about that. They said the same thing about you." He said

"I was a growing boy." I countered.

"Well, I'm glad I didn't have to buy food for your bulking up. You look great son." He said proudly.

"Thanks Dad, now let's go see that car."

"I want to see that Corvette!" He said.

We went outside, popped the hoods, and shot the shit for a while. Then we each took a test drive in the other's car. We were about a half hour into our second joy ride when I got a call on my phone.

"Hello?" I said.

"You boys get your asses back here. Supper is ready."

"Okay." I hung up. "Mom's pissed, we'd better get back right away."

He hit the gas and we zoomed along the highway at 90, took the exit, and were home in 10 minutes.

"Boys and their toys." She said as we walked in the door. Her tone was stern but I saw a smile as she turned toward the kitchen to get the roast. Man, I missed them both.

Supper was great, of course, afterwards we sat around and talked. They asked me how I've been, what I planned on doing while in town, whether we could have people over to visit on Sunday.

"I really don't have any plans, other than the 10 year Reunion that is." I said.

"Well I'll have an impromptu reunion of our own on Sunday. I'll call our friends and relatives and we'll have a cookout after church." She said.

After supper I decided to drive downtown, not much had changed. It felt weird though. This was not my home anymore. I felt out of place. So much had changed in my life since last I'd been here.

That night, lying on the mattress in the basement, I stared at the ceiling. How would I react when I saw Maggie. I needed to treat this like a mission. What was the objective - to get through the reunion without any trouble or showing any emotion. I could not let her know that I still cared. How could I not care, we'd spent years as friends and then years as boyfriend/girlfriend, then 3 years as husband/wife. This was going to be harder than I thought.

I was a Marine - a Raider. I could, and have, faced life threatening situations but this scared me more than all of those. The Corps can't train you for this.

I must have fallen asleep at some point because I awoke to the smell of bacon. "Mom, I love you." I thought to myself.

I showered and sat down at the table ready to dig in. I had my fork above the pancake stack, ready to nab 3 of them, when she cleared her throat. I looked up at her. "Kurt, we still say prayers before we eat around here." I heard a snicker from my dad as I bowed my head. We said our prayers and then I was allowed to dig in.

"I love you Mom, love you Dad." I said after I swallowed my first bite.

"We love you too, son." My mom said.

After breakfast I helped with the dishes.

"Wow, you mean they teach you manners in the Marines?" Mom said. "You'd better get going or you'll be late." She said with a hitch in her throat.

"Thanks Mom." I said and headed out the door.

I made it to Jos. A. Banks. with 5 minutes to spare. The Marines taught me to never be late. Everything was on a schedule, I liked that, it made life more simple.

They unlocked the doors and I walked in and told the woman. "I'm here to be measured for a suit. Where do I go for that?"

"You can have a seat right here." She said pointing to an overstuffed chair. "I'll have our seamstress come out to get you. Would you like a cup of coffee or espresso?"

"No miss, but thank you for offering." I said.

She looked me up and down and then turned to go. I returned the favor looking her up and down, checking her left hand for a ring, no ring. She was firm. I'm sure she worked out. I wouldn't mind taking her measurements.

One thing the Corps did for me was shape my body and with that I got a lot of attention from the ladies. I have to admit I enjoyed it and partook occasionally. I wasn't married and we all have needs. I never did anything with a married woman though.

The seamstress, an older woman, came out and directed me to a set of mirrors. I stepped up on the riser and she took my measurements, very professionally I may add. The other woman had offered to write the measurements down for her. She was almost drooling when they were done.

I told the seamstress that I would need a suit and at least 3 shirts tailored before my 10 year Reunion next Saturday.

"I should be able to do that but you'll need to come back next Friday for a final fitting, just in case something needs to be adjusted." She told me.

"That should be fine." I said, "Now what suit do you think would look best on me and can you help me pick out the shirts and ties too? I know I'll want one white shirt and two with color."

"I'd be glad to." They both said at the same time.

"Well, this is the first time buying a suit like this so I'll take all the help I can get." I said with a smile on my face.

We spent the better part of an hour picking out suits. They suggested a charcoal gray double breasted suit and I took their advice. The three shirts were white, blue and salmon. I think they will all look sharp. The younger of the two women was flirting me up the whole time. I hoped she would be there when I came back next Friday to pick them up.

I had about a half hour to kill so I drove down to the capital complex. Being in Kuwait I see oil rigs all the time but to see one on the capital complex grounds was still weird to me, even with me growing up in this state.

At 11:25 I walked in to the office where Kira practice law. A year ago I joked with her on skype that she only became a lawyer so she wouldn't have to work, only practice all the time. She didn't think that was funny.

The receptionist said, "May I help you?" as I walked in then she looked up from her desk and said, "Oh my, you must be Kira's brother."

"I am, miss, is Kira available?"

"I'm Shelly, I'll let her know you're here." She said as she looked me over. "Kira, some handsome man is here to see you." She said into her headset.

I blushed. The interaction with the women was not something I was used to being stationed in Kuwait.

Kira came out of her office and said, "Holy shit Kurt, you've gotten huge!!"

"Nice mouth, sis, where'd you learn that?"

"Well I've seen you on skype but that is typically just your face. Let me show you off, we may not be able to get out of here once the paralegals see you." She joked.

I met the partners, the paralegals, and the office staff. They all thanked me for my service, some even suggesting they be able to thank me in person. Wow, I definitely wasn't used to the forward ways of the women I've met.

At about noon we left for lunch. She took me to Ted's Café Escondido for some Mexican food. It was great!

During the meal we talked. Finally she broached the subject that neither she nor my parents had brought up. "So have you seen Maggie yet?"

"No" I said curtly.

"You know you are going to see her at the Reunion." She said.

"Yes, I know." I again said curtly.

"What are you going to say?" She questioned.

"I'll be cordial, act like old friends that I haven't seen since High School." I reasoned.

"Bullshit!" She said.

"Again with the language." I said.

"As soon as I brought her up your whole attitude changed. You started treating me hostilely and I'm your sister."

"What do you expect, I did everything for her, for us, and she went and did that to me."

"Kurt, you're my brother, and I love you, but she was the sister I never had. I talked to her about all the teenage girl stuff. She helped keep me grounded and on the straight and narrow. When you two broke up I lost a person I cared for, actually two, her and you. I couldn't talk to you because you were gone and I couldn't talk to her because she had done you wrong."

"I'm sorry sis, I sure didn't ask for it. We had a plan. We were working to save money to buy a house, then we'd have our kids. I had already been promoted to night manager at the grocery store and was soon going to be the assistant manager. The store manager would have been retiring in 5 years and then I would be the store manager. I could have been still living here with at least a couple kids by now. She had to go and destroy our plans." I said with anger in my voice.

"Wow, I guess you're still bitter after 6 years. You'll never be cordial to her at the Reunion. You two need to sit down and yell and scream so you can get some closure. You'll never be able to love anyone else until you do."

She had a point. We never had closure. After I caught her with Dillon I had yelled a little, but mainly I filed for divorce, left for the Marines, and let he lawyer take care of it. I guess I owed it to both of us. I didn't know what to do now.

"So how should I do that, just call her up? Say, hey, let's do lunch, and then just talk it out?" I asked.

She looked at me, straight in the eye and said, "Yes, I think that is exactly what you should do. You'd better do it before the 10 year Reunion or neither of you will enjoy yourselves, and you may wreck it for the rest of your classmates."

ragnarok1
ragnarok1
1,225 Followers