Fatal Alignment Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It pissed him off, how much he wanted to change that. Because he shouldn't. He should be enjoying this. Fuck, he should have joined in with Eoin when he walked out and found him leaning over her trembling form, tearing her world apart in a few minutes of cruelly chosen words. They were just fucking words! Eoin hadn't even needed to touch her! And he should be relishing her breakdown, not plotting his Second's slow and painful death.

He needed to leave. Let her get it out of her system. Let her cry herself to sleep in a warm bed, possibly the last one she'd ever lay in, at least willingly.

He started walking, meaning to leave the room. His feet, entirely of their own accord, stopped at the side of the bed, and before he could reconsider, he'd climbed in and dragged her away from the wall, tucking her into his side and rubbing slow, soothing circles across her back.

Eventually, her tears dried up, and her shaking subsided. She was quiet for a long time, and he thought she had fallen asleep when her voice, muffled against his chest, told him otherwise. He cradled the back of her head, gently tugging her away from his side. "What was that?"

"I said, you were right." She swallowed. "I don't do that. Look at people's thoughts. I can, but I won't. But sometimes I see things without trying."

He was silent, waiting for her to continue.

"A long time ago, I saw something I tried so hard to forget. It was only for a second, only one image. I saw blood. Lots of blood, coating his hands red."

He stiffened.

"I didn't understand it. I was young, and it frightened me, and I turned my back on it. I never questioned it." She took a long, shuddering breath. "All this time..." Her words ended on a whisper.

Regret. What a complete mind-fuck. He doubted she could do worse if he took the bracelet off.

You could call it off. Take her home. Keep her for yourself. It's not too late.

Without realizing he was doing it, he pulled her closer and started running a hand down her silky hair. He pressed his lips to her brow, and then tucked her head under his chin.

What was he doing?

Just for tonight, he wouldn't ignore the voice. In the morning, he'd remind himself of all the reasons why it still had to be done. Why Venlen still had to be punished, even if Adrika was innocent.

But tonight, he'd just hold her. And pretend it wasn't too late.