First Estate

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I had to agree with her. The idea of someone who is willing to murder their fellow citizens for selling cigarettes on the sidewalk has always seemed to personify psychopath to me. Screw the police, I was going to kill something if Mom or Mariha had been harmed.

Boston came running down the sidewalk when we pulled up and I've never been so glad to see anyone in my life. She looked so cute and forlorn with her little backpack; dressed in her school uniform, and I felt a lump in my throat. Sagan was crying and we both held her tight. Bronley came out and I kissed her and thanked her again. I promised to let her know when we had any information and we got in the rental car and drove to River House. I parked on the side of the road and we walked in. We went out of Presence and oozed through the gate. There were lights on in the house but we didn't see anyone moving. I manifested on the deck outside the room with our entertainment systems in it and peeked in. There was nothing. I went to the front door without seeing a sign of life and opened it for the girls.

We found everything normal until Sagan went into the spa. She screamed and Boston and I went running to her. It was destroyed. There was a kind of black looking ichor everywhere and quite a bit of that blue angel blood. There was a little red, human looking blood, too.

I took the girls away and we set at the bar. "What do you think happened?" Sagan asked.

"I'm just guessing. I think Mom and Mariha were in the spa and they were attacked. I don't know what the black goo is. It's probably blood from whatever attacked them. There were angels involved and they bled, too. Possibly, Mariha was hurt. I hope not. I think Mom must have been injured, too, and that's where the human blood came from. I'm going to call an angel, girls. Do you think that's a good idea and which one?"

"Haniel," they both said together.

"I don't think we have much of a choice," Sagan said. "I don't know where to start looking for them."

"I do," Boston said. "I think we should start with Camael. I know he's in prison, but if his faction were planning something like this, he would know."

"Way to go, girl," Sagan hugged her. "Could we ask him, Parker?"

"Only one way to find out." I prayed Haniel's prayer and the answer came right away.

"I am unable to come to you presently. I will summon you to me."

"Sagan and Boston are with me. They're part of the deal."

"I understand. Brace yourselves."

There was a god-awful wrenching of time and space and we were standing in a white room. There was nothing but white and it felt like standing on a plain with nothing around us. It was impossible to tell how far away the walls were and it was very disorienting. We just stood there for a minute and I felt the girls find my hands with theirs. I squeezed them in what I hoped was a reassuring manner and Haniel appeared.

"Hello," he said. "Welcome to heaven. This is my antechamber. Have you come to cut the covenant with God?"

"Not quite," I told him. "We've pretty much decided to do that but we're here about something else. We need your help."

"How may I be of assistance to the elect?" he asked.

"Well, two of the elect have disappeared. Mom and Mariha have vanished and our house is busted up. There was quite a struggle and we believe they were attacked. Who would attack them?"

"I have no idea. God was quite explicit that they are not to be harmed in any way. Do you suspect Watchers?"

"I suspect everyone. There was angel blood at the scene. There was some sort of black goo as well. I think it's blood but I've never seen it before."

"We must inspect the scene. Unfortunately I am not free to accompany you at the moment. I am receiving dictation. God has authorized me to send Raphael to assist you. I didn't know why, but all is now clear. Let me summon him."

"We don't need a Ninja Turtle," Boston said, "We need you."

That broke me up and I laughed myself weak. Sagan thought it was pretty funny, too, but Haniel didn't get it.

"I assure you, Raphael is neither a Turtle nor a Ninja. He is quite capable."

I thought I was going to die.

One of those big creepy guys with two faces dropped in. He looked at us strangely. I suppose he wasn't used to seeing humans laughing themselves silly in Heaven's antechamber.

"Did I miss something?" he asked.

"This is Raphael," Haniel said. "As you can see, he bears no resemblance to a turtle."

Raphael sighed. "I see; you have no idea how many times I've heard that in the last thirty years. Go ahead and get it out of your system."

Two swords appeared in his hands and he had a red mask made out of a bandana over his eyes.

Boston shrieked and Sagan and I nearly collapsed.

"Oh, my God," Boston said. She clapped her hand over her mouth. "I mean, oh my goodness. That's so cool, Raphael. I can't believe you have a sense of humor like that."

He laughed and turned green. He struck a pose. "Time for a little mean and green," he said in a perfect Ninja Turtle voice.

Boston shrieked again, ran and threw her arms around him. "I'm going to love you," she told him.

"Of course, I'm quite loveable," he said. "You seem quite loveable yourself, little Siren."

He turned back to his normal, creepy self. "Shall we go?"

He held Boston's hand and we were back in River House. She led him to the spa and he looked around. He knelt and swiped his finger in the black goo. He tasted it and Boston was disgusted.

"Raphael, that's just gross," she said. "Why did you do that?"

"Chemical analysis," he laughed.

He laughed a lot and he was the most human archangel I ever met. "What does your analysis tell you?" I asked.

"Demon blood," he said. "It could be ancient Nephilim, but theirs tends to hemoglobin. Almost certainly demon."

"What about the angel blood?" Sagan asked. "Could you tell whose it was?"

"Yes," he sampled two spots. "It's different. Two Watchers bled here. They were both of the order of principalities. One was second class and one fourth."

"Well, we know who the fourth class was. It was Mariha," I told him. "Are you missing any angels of the second class of principalities?"

"Yes, as a matter of fact we are."

"Who is it?" Sagan asked.

"Netzach; he was never found. I can't imagine what he thinks he's doing. God's orders were very clear. He has left the first estate. He is a rebel now. Haniel must be informed. It is a great sin to lift the hand against God's elect. The Nephilim Lilith and the Watcher Mariha are the elect. They are also very beautiful," he smiled.

"Will he kill them?" Boston was crying now.

Raphael became the turtle again. He embraced her. "Don't weep, little Siren. It is likely he will try. He hasn't the power. God's elect cannot be assailed. He will fail. He may hurt them badly and torture them. He cannot destroy them."

"I don't want them to be tortured," she continued to cry. "We have to help them."

"How?" he asked. "We don't know their location."

"We have some ideas about that," I told him.

I explained that we intended to question Camael. He had no objection to the plan except for the fact the he was in Tartarus. He explained that he couldn't go there and would be unable to take us there.

"We can go and we can take you with us," Sagan said.

"Yes, I had forgotten. The Ways are open to you. I'm very jealous," he told Boston.

The Way to Tartarus was even creepier than the Way to Eden. The lightning was red and there were eerie wails and moans from the chaos. Raphael noticed that the girls were becoming frightened and became an inferno of white flame. He must have been 15 feet tall and he banished the creepiness with a gesture.

"That was... disturbing," he said. "My apologies, little Sirens. They are silent now."

It was a long way to the entrance and Raphael was employed as a steed. Boston perched on his back, ten feet in the air and she was having the time of her life. Those flaming wings wrapped her up securely and he jogged ahead and came zooming back with her shrieking with laughter and holding his ears. She chattered to the face that was looking at her and didn't seem at all creeped out by someone with two faces.

"What a delightful little being," the other face said to Sagan and I. "Would you permit me to be her escort occasionally? I rarely have the opportunity to play games. My brothers are somewhat... not playful."

"I think she'd love that," Sagan said. "Drop in anytime. Well, call first in case she's busy."

"I shall, I am aware of human conventions. Rudeness is contrary to the nature of the Prince of Societies."

"Is that what you are?" I asked. "I had thought you were the Prince of Poetry and Art."

"Among other things," he said. "Poetry and Art also forbid rudeness."

We came to the entrance after an hour or so of walking. He put Boston down and we stood, looking out over an abyss. Lava flowed and fountained below and there was a rumbling as the ground shook. There was a black, formless thing that looked like it was made of the chaos stuff in the middle of the abyss. A black road ran the distance, bridging the lava and Raphael manifested us outside. There was a being there, somewhat like The Guardian. Raphael called him The Keeper. He spoke in a cavernous rumble and asked our business.

"Brother, we seek Camael. He has vital information that is required."

"None may be released before the appointed time."

"We do not seek his release. We wish to question him. These three are the elect of God and may not be gainsaid."

"My apologies; I did not realize they were the elect. I will summon Camael."

A glow opened in the chaos stuff and indescribable sounds of torment flowed over us. Camael appeared and he was obviously in agony.

"Brother," he gasped. "Release me, for I am tormented in these flames."

"I have not the power," Raphael said, "nor would I release you if I could. Your punishment is just. Seek repentance and God will forgive you. Your penance is not complete. We require knowledge of Netzach and the activities you planned against the will of God. Did you plan to capture the Nephilim Lilith and the Watcher Mariha?"

"We planned their death! They are abominations," he screamed.

"You are deluded; they are God's elect," Raphael said. "Where were you planning to hold them pending their death?"

"They are God's elect? How can this be? I was ignorant, brother. My punishment is greater than I can bear."

"Your presumption to act in God's name without orders has placed you here. Ignorance cannot be pled. You are not doing penance for ignorance, but presumption."

"Answer the question," Boston said. "I will sing and add to your torment. We feel no pity for you. Where are they holding Mama and Mariha?"

He looked at her. "You are God's elect, do not hate me. I was wrong. I accept my penance. Your hate will destroy me. We planned to take them to Sheol. Netzach has access to the Ways. I do not know how."

"I don't hate you," she told him. "I forgive you. Your actions have consequences though. We're still feeling them. Two people I love are being tormented by your faction as we speak. I think you deserve to pay for that, but I don't hate you."

"Thank you, little Siren. I will remember when my sentence is passed."

Raphael nodded to The Keeper and the glow faded as Camael disappeared.

The wails of agony were cut off and we turned to leave.

Raphael picked Boston up and carried her. "Thank you Boston," he said. "You showed mercy to your enemy. This will comfort him in his penance. You have a great heart. I see why you are God's elect. Now we must make our way to Sheol. I do not wish for you to accompany us there. I fear that it will damage you."

"Why?" she asked. "How could it be worse than this?"

"It is," he told her. "It is orders of magnitude worse. It is difficult to describe. Those humans who die without direction are sent there. Many of them are quite mad. They don't understand their predicament and they are searching. They can be... quite pitiful. They failed to make the choices that would gain Paradise while living but weren't sufficiently devoted to evil to deserve Hades. They are lost. Some will eventually gain direction and meet their destiny. In the meantime, they despair and it is quite disturbing. There may be persons you know there and they will recognize you and attempt to cling to you. I would spare you this."

She shuddered. "Would you mind taking me to Mom's house and leaving me there? Sagan, would you be okay without me? I'm sorry, Parker, but I don't want to see that."

"It's okay, baby," I assured her. "We'll be fine and I don't want you to see that either. We understand."

When we reached the beginning of the Way, Raphael sent Boston home and we began the journey to Sheol. The description Raphael provided Boston will have to do. The world is not ready for the horror we experienced in Sheol. The screaming will, no, I will not remember.

There was a place, deep inside and surrounded by the lost. It was a structure of sorts and it was surrounded by a horde of demons. I saw their forms for the first time and it was horrific. They seemed to be blackened and twisted forms of me. I could see that they had once been something else, but any trace of humanity was long gone. They came streaming toward us as we entered the vast cavern and Sagan began to sing.

"No Sagan, you will only attract the souls here and they will impede our progress," Raphael told her. "I will deal with them."

He gestured toward them as they approached and they evaporated like so much smoke.

"What did you do?' I asked him.

"I banished them. They are free from the compulsion of Netzach and will return to their duties. Does this please you?"

"Well, I was hoping for a couple of swords and some slicing and dicing, but I guess that will have to do."

"Amazing," he laughed. "You retain your sense of humor even in this place. You are remarkable, little Nephilim. We are not permitted to banish Netzach or any watchers that may be assisting him. They are to be destroyed. God will not permit a rebel."

"Why doesn't he just wipe them out?" Sagan asked. "Maybe we should ask him for help.

"I have asked him," Raphael said.

"What did he say? Is he going to help us?"

"He is in the process. He has sent the Prince of Poetry, a Nephilim and you, little Siren. We are his instruments."

"I see," she said. "What part am I to play? I'm not much use in the slicing and dicing."

He laughed again. "On the contrary, when we reach the structure, you may begin to sing. Your song will be of invulnerability for your allies, destruction, and despair for our enemies and then healing for Mariha and Lilith. Your loved ones are badly damaged, my friends. I regret to inform you of this, but I can sense it. They are on the point of death. They cannot be destroyed, but I sense that they would welcome that release. Your song will bring them back from despair. I will heal their bodies, but only you can heal their spirits. Much depends on you. Without your help, they may choose to join the lost here. Sing well, beautiful Siren."

"I will," she promised.

He manifested us under the wall and Sagan began to weave her web of power. It was the stuff of legend. All the orations on the eve of battle, all the locker room speeches, all the words of the motivators of men were rolled up her song. It beat on us like waves and forged us into machines of destruction. Waves of defeat and despair washed over our enemies and they attempted to flee. We fought our way through the door and my claws had become the scythe of the reaper. They came in waves, rebel angels; caught in the last gnawing of the bones of old plots and desperate in their final thrashing about. Raphael shot out the green laser things and I made a black hole to swallow them up. I think Sagan did the most damage. They quailed away before us as they attempted to defend themselves. There was lighting, fire and freezing cold. I shrugged it off like water. The love of my life wished their destruction and her power was such that I could not fail to grant her desire.

Blinding blue flashes filled the room, which appeared to be a temple of some sort, as they died in droves and waves. Blue liquid covered us and flowed over the floors and still they came and died. I caught the last one as she turned her attention from what she had been doing to Mom. She fell in dozens of pieces and I couldn't get close to Mom. She was surrounded by a nimbus of blue flame. Mariha was impaled on a stake beside her and another blue halo surrounded her. They were piteous and they writhed in their torment.

Raphael drew a complicated set of symbols on the floor with angel blood and the sound of the hissing of ten thousand lightning bolts faded. He sprang to remove Mariha from the stake and I struck the manacles from Moms arms and legs with my claws. She was a mess. Her nipples were shredded and she had been violated in a horrible way. Most of her bones were broken and one eye was gone.

I held her and wept. Sagan came in and she screamed when she saw Mariha. Her beautiful face looked like it had been chewed by wild animals and her breasts had been ripped in the same way. She was disemboweled and the stake hadn't done her any good either.

"Sing, Sagan," Raphael told her. "Do you want to lose them?"

Her song began, faltered, and rose in an incredible power of sorrow and love. Raphael was chanting in Shnarian and before my eyes those horrible wounds began to mend. I offered him my strength and he leaned upon it heavily. My head was swimming and I hardly had the strength to stand. He collapsed to the floor and when I looked, I was holding my beautiful mother in my arms and she was whole. Mariha looked, well, angelic again and they appeared to be sleeping.

Sagan's song changed and became a thing of forgetfulness and healing. The waters of Lethe swept over the temple and the pain of seeing their torment faded. Waves of love and longing washed over us, words of acceptance and rebirth and the rising of the phoenix from the ashes broke over us and Mom opened her eyes.

The song died and Mom became aware of me. "Parker, what are you doing here? Why am I naked? I had the most horrible dream, baby. I was being tortured to death. Mariha was with me and they were killing her and I couldn't help her. God, Parker, it was a nightmare. Was I making noise? Is that why you're here?"

I held her tightly and kissed her over and over. "You're safe now Mom. Mariha is safe, too. It's over now and I'm never going to let you out of my sight again."

She began to become aware of her surroundings and when she saw the ruined temple she clutched me until her nails were making me bleed.

"Oh God, it was real, wasn't it? Mariha..." she sat up and searched wildly around with her eyes. Evidently Mariha had been going through the same process with Sagan because I heard her scream.

"Lilith, O Father, no."

She was in my arms and they held each other tightly Sagan came and sat in front of us and we held them and petted them until they were calm.

"What did you do to me, baby," Mom asked me. "Did you do something to my memory? It still all seems like a dream."

"I did it, Mom," Sagan said. "Your mind was broken. I didn't do anything to your memory, but I took away the despair and the misery. I did it to Mariha, too."

Mom pulled her head down and kissed her lips. "Thank you baby, my beautiful daughter. I don't think I could have gone on living with that."

Mariha was burning me with those golden tears but I didn't mind. I just kissed them away and she sobbed for a while.

"How did you find us?" she finally spoke. "How did you rescue us?"

"We had help," I told her. "Raphael helped us. We found out where they were holding you from Camael. We came here, Sagan sung us in and Raphael and I killed them all."

1...1617181920...22