First Love

Story Info
A first love farce, then drama.
7.1k words
4.29
60k
35
37
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
imhapless
imhapless
3,646 Followers

If the three seminal events in this tale didn't happen to or affect me I might have considered it a Shakespearean farce, followed by a drama. Since the events did affect me, however, I'm not laughing. However like in any play I probably should set forth the main characters in this farce/drama trying not to bore the audience with unnecessary detail or physical descriptions.

-I'm Dale Britton. At the time of the first seminal event I was 35 years old, living in Wilmington, NC. I'm six feet one inch (1.85 meters) tall and weigh about 185 pounds (90 kg). I'm better looking and smarter than average though no movie star or genius, and although thoroughly un-athletic am in better shape than most guys my age (at least in the Wilmington area). I grew up in a Maryland suburb of Washington, D. C. I got my B. S. and M. S. degrees at UNC-Wilmington and loved the area so I stayed. I had had average sexual experiences before my marriage a year after I got my M. S.

-Jennifer Britton is my wife of eleven years and 33 years old at the time of the first seminal event. She has a B. S. also from UNC-Wilmington. She's five feet four inches (1.6 meters) tall and weighs about 115 pounds (52 kg). She is significantly better looking and smarter than average and has a quirky personality. She grew up in the Atlanta area but stayed in Wilmington because she also liked it, and married me a year after she got her B. S. I never talked with her about her sexual experiences before we met although from unconfirmed sources she might have been a little wild.

-Connor is my and Jennifer's son, eight years old at the time of the first seminal event, and Lizbeth our daughter, six years old.

-Audrey Johnson is Jennifer's mother, my mother-in-law, 50 years old at the time of the first seminal event, although she looks like Jennifer's sister rather than her mother being as well preserved as any 50 year old I've ever encountered. She had Jennifer out of wedlock when she was 17. Jennifer never met her biological father; he must have been small but good-looking, however, since Jennifer has a more refined face than Audrey and Audrey is significantly larger. Audrey is five feet ten inches (1.78 meters) tall and weighs about 135 pounds (61 kg), much of her added weight compared to Jennifer in the right places (at least as far as I'm concerned - her boobs and ass). Although uneducated (seventeen year old single mothers didn't finish High School in her day) Audrey is smart, and her hard early life has not made her cynical nor wrapped her personality. Audrey is a perfect grandmother and mother-in-law, always willing to help, rarely interfering, always upbeat, and providing unequivocal love for both Connor and Lizbeth without spoiling them.

-Wilbur Johnson is Audrey's husband and Jennifer's step father, 68 years old at the time of the first seminal event. Audrey was in bad shape financially and having trouble coping with life as a nineteen year old single mother when she met Wilbur. Being as charitable as possible, although Wilbur is a smart and successful businessman he is not in Audrey's league in the looks department. He is more or less a cold fish who I believe married Audrey because having a shapely young wife was good for his ego and business. He is sterile so Audrey's only child is Jennifer. Wilbur and Audrey moved from the Atlanta area to Wrightville Beach, NC (an upscale seaside community about ten miles (sixteen km) East of my house in Wilmington) about two years ago after Wilbur retired so that Audrey could be close to her grandkids who she adores, and so that Wilbur could be near the ocean which he adores.

*************

Jennifer and I met when I was a teaching assistant for a first semester biochemistry course that Jennifer was taking her senior year. I had seen her around campus before, and was intrigued, but had never met her. Obviously perturbed, she came in to see me when she got a C- on a research paper assignment about 1/3rd the way into the semester. I explained to her why she got a C- (she was used to getting all As and Bs) and gave her examples (with names and other identifying information removed) of three papers on the same subject, one that had gotten an A, one a B, and one a C+. Having recently exited a relationship of eighteen months and being impressed by her piercing gray eyes, lustrous mane that had a chatoyant quality and which she expertly flirtatiously shook, and shapely legs extending from her short skirt, I offered to help her with her understanding of biochemistry at a mutually convenient time.

Jennifer returned to my office a week later. "You know TA Britton..." she started out.

"Please call me Dale and I'll call you Jennifer instead of Miss Johnson," I interrupted.

"OK - Dale" - she continued, "I looked over the papers you gave me and I believe that I deserve a C instead of a C-. Here are the reasons..."

She then spouted off a half dozen points, most of which were legitimate. When she was finished I said "You convinced me. I'll change it right now." I got on my computer, used my passwords to get to the right program, and changed the grade and turned the screen so that she could see it."

"You changed it to a C+, not a C," she remarked with a cute smile.

"Your arguments and interest were worth a plus," I chuckled.

"OK - now that the grade on my paper is taken care of, I really do need some help. I'm somewhat confused by the relationships between the CHNOPS elements."

I proceeded to give her a mnemonic that I used to keep things straight that wasn't really part of the curriculum. She left pleased - and with an ass wiggle. I helped her understand various concepts maybe three or four more times during the semester, and she got a B+ on her midterm.

Just before the final exam Jennifer came to see me and asked if I would give her a call once the final grade was in since she was travelling right after the final exam. I gladly took her cell phone number since both she and I knew that I would not be a TA for any class that she was taking the next semester and her flirtations, and my interest, had increased exponentially during the year.

I like to think that I helped her get an A on her final exam, and an A- for the course. When I called to tell her I not too subtly asked when she would be back on campus and if we could get together socially. She was all for it. Within a month after the second semester of her senior year, and the last semester of my Master's program, started we were fucking up a storm, seemingly very compatible in the oral gratification and hide the salami departments. When we graduated we both got jobs in the Wilmington area, moved in together, and within a year had married.

While Audrey and I got along famously, and Wilbur didn't dislike me - he was actually slightly warmer to me than most people - for some reason my mother wasn't thrilled about me marrying Jennifer. I believe it had to do with my first love.

In High School, and until I dumped her in the summer after my freshman year in college, I dated Carolyn Watkins, the daughter of my Mom's best friend. Even though Carolyn was my first love, and we lost our virginities to each other, our relationship was more puppy love than real world. The longer I was with Carolyn the less enamored I was with her, and after dating several other women my freshman year of college realized that ours was not a life-long-lasting relationship material and ended it as gently as possible. My mother and her best friend took it even more poorly than Carolyn did, so poorly that I had to find a job in Wilmington for the summer after two weeks in Maryland to get out from under the shit storm.

*****************

In the spring of the year that Jennifer had been out of High School for fifteen years she got an invitation to the 15 year reunion of her large public high school graduating class, coming up in two months. She was excited about it and as soon as she received it asked if I wanted to go with her since there were several events for spouses. It was at a very busy time of year for me at work, and also at a time when Audrey and Wilbur were going on a trip so that our normally reliable babysitter might not be available (actually Audrey was more than a babysitter - sometimes I thought she was more Connor and Lizbeth's mother than Jennifer was). Therefore I declined but seeing her excitement urged Jennifer to go.

I was surprised that when Jennifer told Audrey about the reunion there was not only no enthusiasm on Audrey's part but it was clear that Audrey was cool (maybe "icy" is a better word) to the idea. She never indicated why to me, but I believe that she had several conversations with Jennifer about it.

From a week after the invitation came until Jennifer left for the reunion I never was asked to accompany her again even when my work load unexpectedly eased up; and by her body language and word choices whenever we casually discussed it, it became clear that Jennifer would be going by herself as she laid out to me all of the activities for the kids the Friday through Sunday that she would be gone.

The kids were off school for the summer the Friday that Jennifer left, and since Audrey was out of town I took the day off and the kids and I drove a very excited wife and mother to the airport for her trip to Atlanta that morning. She gave us each a quick kiss goodbye at the curb departure area, and virtually sprinted into the terminal with only a perfunctory wave as she entered it.

The next three days were characterized by two things:

-The first thing - the kids and I had an absolute blast. We did everything that a six year old girl and eight year old boy could dream of doing to have fun. While I did my best to make sure that they got nutritious food, their diet may have slipped to the "fun side" too. They were both completely exhausted and crashed as only little kids can both Friday and Saturday nights.

-The second thing - except for a couple of texts saying that she was having a good time and asking me to kiss the kids for her - Jennifer never initiated a communication with us. Nor did she answer her cell phone when I called her Friday and Saturday afternoons and evenings.

I did get a call from Jennifer shortly before we were leaving for the airport to pick her up Sunday night. "Hi Dale; I have some bad news," was her opening salvo.

"What Hon?"

"I missed my flight and all of the other flights are booked. I hope to get on one tomorrow afternoon. I'll give you a call," she hurriedly said.

"What? How did you miss it?"

"Well, it's a long story that can wait. Mom should be back tonight so she can handle the kids tomorrow if you can't miss work," she said even more quickly.

"Are you going to call her?" I asked.

"Uh...well I'm having some trouble with my phone and reservations... can you take care of it. Listen my battery is low and I've got to get out of the airport so bye for now," she rattled off and then terminated the call.

"How in the hell can her battery be low since she hasn't called us the last three days," blitzed through my head, "and she didn't even inquire about the kids, let alone ask to talk to them," I lamented. I tried to call her back three times before I went to bed Sunday night but each time it went to voicemail and I never got a call back.

We were having such a good time that the kids had not asked about their Mom all weekend; that is until we started getting ready to go to the airport to pick her up. They then got a little angst when the trip didn't happen, but seemed OK by bedtime.

I took the morning off Monday and called Audrey. After asking her about her trip I told her about the Jennifer situation.

"That bitch - I told her not to go," Audrey blurted out.

"What...what's the problem?" I asked, stunned by her outburst.

"I won't say anything until I talk to her, but I thought that it was a bad idea all along. Now, don't you have to go to work?" she stated then asked.

"I would like to go in around noon..." I started to say.

"I'll be there by 11:15 at the latest," Audrey replied, cutting me off. "Don't worry, I'll take care of lunch and afternoon activities for Connor and Lizbeth, and I'll try to get ahold of their wayward mother."

"Thanks, Audrey, I really appreciate it," I earnestly responded.

I tried not to think about Jennifer the rest of the day at work. I knew that Audrey had things well under control on the home-front, and the kids had been thrilled to see her. Just before I was leaving work at 5:30 I got a call on my cellphone - caller ID "Jen." The first seminal event was about to transpire.

"Hi Jen; I was just about to walk out the door. When's your flight?" I answered.

"Uh...well...uh...that's what I'm calling about Dale," she stammered.

"What?" I blurted out.

"Well...there's no easy way to say this, so I'm just going to come right out and say it. I've reconnected with my first love and we realize that we're soul mates, should never have allowed others to push us apart, and that we need to be together. So...so...I'm not coming back," she announced with less cracking in her voice than I would have expected from such a cataclysmic statement.

After I finally wrapped my brain around what she was saying I asked "Is this some kind of perverted joke?"

"No, Dale. I'm really sorry - but I have to follow my heart. I'm staying with Burton in Marietta," Marietta being a suburb of Atlanta.

"What about the kids, or haven't you thought about them?" I yelled into the phone, now angry.

"We'll work something out in the future. Just tell them that I love them and will call them sometime soon; sorry again, Dale," and with that she terminated the call leaving me stunned, livid, disheartened, and cold, all at the same time. I would never have believed - before this first seminal event - that I could be completely emotionally drained within five minutes.

After collapsing in my office chair and gazing mindlessly out of the window for fifteen minutes or so, I suddenly thought about Audrey and the kids. I called her.

"Hi Dale - when will you be home?" she asked with maybe the most cautious tone I'd ever heard from her.

"I...I...don't know what to do, Audrey," I stammered and then briefly told her what Jennifer had said.

"Listen... don't drive yet," she ordered, taking charge of the situation. "As I recall there's a TGI Fridays a couple of blocks from your office. I'll bring the kids there to meet you for dinner. Just walk over. After dinner you'll be in good enough shape to drive" she proclaimed, ending her proclamation with an under-her-breath mumble that sure sounded like "that fucking stupid little bitch."

"OK Audrey," I grumbled, having no ability to think on my own.

"We'll meet you in twenty five minutes," she said, then hung up.

I was like an automaton as I stumbled the quarter mile or so over to the restaurant. Fortunately there wasn't much traffic or I'm sure that I would have been run over. Audrey gave me a full minute tight hug as Connor and Lizbeth pulled on my trousers aching for attention. Both kids were cheery and full of news about their afternoon with "Mom II" as they called Audrey (they don't use Roman Numerals - that's just the way that I write it).

By the time that Audrey paid the bill - which she insisted on doing - my mind was at least in the real world even if it wasn't a happy world at that time - and Audrey trusted me enough to drive home when she dropped me off at my car. Lizbeth insisted on riding with me - which Audrey thought was a good idea so that I'd be sure to concentrate with my precious little girl aboard - so we put her car seat in my car, and both Audrey and I took off.

After the kids went to bed I embarrassingly broke down in front of Audrey - who had informed Wilbur that she was spending the night. She comforted me. When I finally got my emotions under control, as we sat next to each other on a living room couch I timidly asked "Did you have a feeling that something like this might happen - is that why you seemed to discourage her from going?"

"Sadly, yes. The only reason that I didn't tell you and put my foot down and tell her I would disown her was because she swore to me that Burton was not going to be there, and even if he showed up he is married and she had no interest in him anymore - the lying bitch," Audrey snarled.

"Who the fuck is this Burton guy?" I half sobbed, half snarled.

"Burton Mortenson. He was Jennifer's first love in High School. He was - and I'm sure still is - a pompous pampered asshole, a type that disgusts me to no end. He came from a prominent family in the area and his parents were just as obnoxious as he was. Fortunately, they and I had one thing in common - we both were against their relationship," Audrey said with as much negative emotion as I've ever seen from her. After a long sigh she continued.

"His prissy mother and I made sure that they went to college in different states and since we owned their computers and cell phones we monitored them and told them both that we'd cut off the money supply if they contacted each other. Except for one or two emails and one phone call I think that we were successful in breaking them up."

Then Audrey stopped again. She looked lovingly at me and said "Burton's not one tenth the man that you are Dale. He's a shallow, self-centered, self-promoting asshole. Aside from his pretty boy looks there's not one redeeming quality that he has, and I never could figure out how Jennifer could have ever been attracted to him."

"What am I going to do, though?" I softly cried, the tears starting again. "I did love the bitch - although that emotion seems to be leaving quickly - and I can't stand the idea of even thinking about losing the kids."

Audrey got a stone-cold-killer look on her face. She grabbed my cheeks in her hands and looked me straight in the eye. "I'll never let my darling grandkids be raised by a twit like Burton; I'm with you all the way. Trust me when I say that regardless of what happens in the ensuing months I'm 100% on your side."

When I gratefully nodded my head in agreement she continued. "Say it Dale - say 'Audrey is on my side and my kids will never be taken away from me' - say it Dale," she ordered.

I did say it.

She smiled and gave me a quick kiss on the lips.

"Take four ounces of brandy and then go to bed," she chuckled.

I did that too and to my shock I actually slept about six hours that night.

****************

I was pretty much a wreck the next two weeks. Reality hit me between the eyes when Jennifer's boss called a few days after the first seminal event and asked "What the fuck is with your wife; she just resigned over the phone!" I had nothing worthwhile to tell him, but his words cut me like a knife because Jennifer enjoyed her job; there was no doubt that she wasn't coming back.

If it weren't for Audrey taking charge of the kids and staying at our house most days, and bringing the kids to her house the others, and even staying overnight half the time, I don't know how I could have properly cared for the kids. I did try to be as upbeat as possible when they were awake, and Audrey and I - and sometimes even Wilbur - would take them on excursions when I was off work.

My boss Anna was also a great help. She was understanding, and didn't complain when I would suddenly become a little emotional during a meeting, or my production wasn't quite up to snuff.

Jennifer never called me during this time. Audrey reported that she often called the kids during the day and was initially distressed when Audrey insisted on being on the extension when she talked to the kids. However since Audrey was dogmatic about that rule, Jennifer had no choice but to acquiesce. Audrey reported some of the things Jennifer talked to the kids about, but certainly not everything. "Wait until all the ducks are in a row," was her standard response to my queries.

imhapless
imhapless
3,646 Followers
12