Frigate Cove Ch. 03-04

Story Info
Correcting a mistake and convincing the guests to stay.
3.6k words
4.69
29.7k
15

Part 2 of the 7 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 09/29/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
coaster2
coaster2
2,595 Followers

Chapter 3 A Backward Glance

Toronto 2010

"What do you mean you're going to quit your job?" Andrea snapped. "How will you support us? You can't afford to quit."

"Andrea, I genuinely dislike my job. I'm going back to Hunter and do some feature writing. I'll still have a job," he said, wearying of her constant money talk.

"Does it pay as well as College Publications?"

"No ... not quite, but it's enough. At least I won't hate getting up in the morning and going to work," he said, wishing he could end this conversation.

"How much is enough? Can we still afford my car? Will I be able to get some new furniture?"

Now Cam was becoming more than irritated. "Is that all that's important to you? Your car? Some chairs or a sofa? There's got to be more important things to you than that," he snapped. Andrea's car was off the road until she could afford the license and insurance, not to mention operating costs.

"You promised me you'd help me with my car and you agreed we needed some new furniture. Are you going back on that now?" she said, winding herself up into a now-familiar aggressive posture."

"I said we would look at the car when the finances are back in order. You're forgetting I'm still paying down your credit card debt."

"You can't resist bringing that up, can you," she snarled. "I make one mistake and you beat me over the head with it continually."

"I'm not bringing it up continually, and it wasn't just one mistake. There were three cards I had to consolidate to pay them off. It still takes a big chunk of our income."

"So explain why you quit a good paying job to go back to the magazine company. You're giving up trying to get ahead."

"No, I'm not. I'm going to be a features writer and in time I should be able to make at least as much as I did editing text books while enjoying it much more."

He was getting angrier, he realized. His fiancée was getting on his nerves and for more than the first time he wondered if marrying her was a good idea. If this was the kind of attitude she had toward him, it could be a big mistake.

"Andrea, my life is not all about money or acquisitions. I want job satisfaction and a future I can look forward to. I thought we discussed this some time ago. You knew then I wasn't going to be a rich man. I love you. I asked you to be my wife because we could share our vision of the future. Have you changed your mind?"

She didn't look at him, she couldn't. She had changed her mind, but with the financial mess she was in, she needed him. He was pulling her out of a deep hole and she should be grateful, but that wasn't what was uppermost in her mind. No, he was a very nice guy and better than average in bed. But he wasn't as ambitious as she would have liked. She wanted a comfortable lifestyle with all the trappings of the upper middle-class. She wanted to quit her job sometime soon and live a life of leisure. She wanted a better life than this.

Could Cameron Stuart provide that? She wondered. Perhaps Ralph Dailey could. He'd come onto her at work more than once. She'd held him off, but noticed that Ralph was very aggressive in both his job and his personal wants. And Ralph made it clear he wanted Andrea Delahey, engaged or not. Was he a better choice? Again, she wondered. Ralph called himself an advertising executive. He said he was on his way up in Pitcairn and Associates. He might be a winner. After all, didn't most executives make six figure salaries?

~*~

"So when's the big day, Cam?" Larry Robertson was Cam's best friend at Hunter. Even when he moved to College Publications, they stayed in touch.

"I don't know. I'm not even sure there's going to be a big day," Cam said wearily.

"Come on, give. What's happened to the perfect match?" he said aggressively.

"I think it might be a mistake. Andrea appears to be very money oriented, even after the disaster with her credit standing. She wants everything now and when I mentioned that I was coming back to Hunter, she was upset because it wasn't for more money than College Publishing. I'm afraid she's always going to be a financial disaster if she doesn't see the light. Living within our means is a foreign concept to her."

"I thought you took over the finances when you got engaged. That was when you agreed to consolidate her debt and help her pay it down. What happened?"

"She resents my even mentioning her problem with her credit. It's like it didn't happen ... or that I just made it go away. It hasn't gone away and it won't for a few months yet. But according to her, I should be helping her get her car back on the road and buying new furniture. That is not going to happen until we are out of debt and even then, I'll be very wary of any substantial purchases."

"Okay, I get that. What do you think she is thinking? I mean, you sat down and explained all this to her, so what's going on?"

"Good question, Larry. Right now I feel like I'm some kind of low-rent sugar daddy who'll finance her every whim. I'm beginning to think I've made a mistake in asking her to marry. I must have been desperate at the time."

"I can recall you talking about how you were over thirty and couldn't find anyone to share your life with. What did I tell you then?"

"I know, I know, you don't have to remind me. You told me to be selective and make sure I was with the right woman, no matter what my age was."

"And what did you do two weeks later?" he said with a cockeyed grin.

"Yeah ... I asked Andrea to marry me. I was getting desperate and the sex was regular and good, so I went for it. Now, I'm wondering just how smart I was compared to your advice."

"It's not too late, Cam. You can call it off and walk away. It's not like you've got any financial ties to her. You're the one paying off her credit cards, not Andrea. You told me the apartment was on a month-to-month basis. That makes it a cheap divorce, so to speak."

"You make it sound so cold-blooded. I'm supposed to be in love with the woman," Cam complained.

"Supposed to be?" Larry probed with a raised eyebrow.

"Okay, okay, I know how that sounds. Lately I've been asking myself that question too. Am I anxious to marry Andrea, or am I just anxious?"

"I think you already know the answer to that," Larry said.

Cam put off dealing with his concern about his future with Andrea. He really didn't want to destroy the relationship if he could get her to understand that marriage was a partnership and each partner had to contribute to its success. If he couldn't pull it off, it would be the second failed attempt to find a life partner ... a wife. A two-time loser wouldn't be an ideal mate for a woman, he felt. As a result, he simply avoided the issue.

But Andrea didn't let him avoid it. It was a Wednesday evening and Cam had phoned the apartment and left a message for Andrea that be had to work late to meet a deadline and wouldn't be home until late ... sometime after ten. He would eat dinner at a local diner and told her not to wait up for him if she was tired. When she got home, she listened to the message and phoned Cam's direct line.

"Why do you have to work late? I thought we could go out and do something tonight," she whined.

"Andrea, it's Wednesday and tomorrow is a work day. I have an article that has to be ready by tomorrow morning and I'm only halfway done. I'm sorry, but I have to get as much of it done as I can tonight to meet the press deadline."

"You never had to work late when you were at the textbook place. And ... they paid you more. This doesn't sound like a very good job to me," she said sourly.

"Look, it doesn't happen very often and we've been over this ground before. I'll be home as soon as I can get done here, so our arguing about it isn't going to speed things up."

"Well, I may just go look for some entertainment on my own then," she snapped, slamming down the phone.

Cam hung his receiver up with a sigh. It was pretty obvious their relationship was not going to work. He might as well face facts now, rather than delay the inevitable. He'd deal with it tomorrow evening when they were both together. In the meantime, he needed to finish this piece.

It was just after ten when he walked out of the Hunter Publishing building and headed for the diner. A minute's walk brought him to the corner and he immediately realized the place was closed. Frustrated and hungry, he returned to the office parking lot and drove toward his apartment, looking for an open restaurant. The closer he got to his place, the fewer opportunities appeared. Finally, barely two blocks from his building, he saw the local tavern and decided that would have to do. At least he could get a hamburger and a beer.

As he walked in, it looked like a decent crowd for a mid-week evening. He took a seat at the bar and placed his order. The beer tasted good and he was ready when the burger appeared with a small package of potato chips. The bar was backed by a large mirror that covered most of the front and middle of the tavern. He could see couples on the dance floor as well as those sitting at tables near the front. He was happy that the music wasn't too loud. He could relax and enjoy his small meal.

He'd just about finished his burger when he looked up and saw a familiar figure in the mirror. It was Andrea, and she was dancing with some guy. The body language was pretty obvious. She was grinding her pelvis into him and had both hands around his neck, kissing him. She was oblivious to what was going on around her. Cam watched her for a few moments, wondering what to do about her. It was over, that was for certain. An engaged woman didn't act that way and expect to stay engaged. The question was how to handle it.

He could make a scene, he supposed, but what would that accomplish? Most of his possessions were at their apartment and he wasn't about to leave them behind. Slowly, he began to form a simple plan for exiting the relationship. Andrea was a creature of habit. He knew when she would get up to go to work and when she would return. That would give him plenty of time to exit her life ... minus the ring he gave her. An expensive parting gift, but a reminder for him to be more selective in choosing his future partner. He took out his cell phone and was able to take some pictures of her without her noticing him. The posture of her and her partner was self-evident, and would tell her he had seen what she was doing that night. His departure with the apartment key left behind, as well as the pictures, should be enough to explain his disappearance.

He had no idea when she came in that night, except she had taken a shower before coming to bed, her hair still wet. He would be up and gone before her, guessing that she would probably sleep in if she had been really late. He no longer cared. Lunch break allowed him the time to go back to the apartment and clear out all his things; not that there were that many. They easily fit in the back of his aging Subaru Outback. He was back in his office shortly before two, carrying a takeout sandwich and a small carton of milk.

She'd no doubt try and call him tomorrow at the office when she realized he was gone. He let the receptionist know that he wasn't taking any calls, meaning of course, any calls from her.

"If she becomes a pest, Nancy, I'll deal with it. However, I don't think she will give you too much trouble. Sorry to lay this on you," Cam sighed.

"Does that mean you're back on the market," she grinned, batting her eyelashes.

"Well, I think I'll stay away from the market for a while. I don't seem to be having much luck there," he said sadly before returning to his office.

She watched him walk away, feeling only slightly sympathetic. Nancy Pantuzzi knew Andrea wasn't right for him almost from the first time the two women had met. She had a hard edge to her that Cam didn't seem to notice. "I'd be a lot better for him," she thought at the time. She hadn't changed her opinion. She'd bide her time until he'd got past the hurt Andrea caused, then she'd renew her pursuit of the one man in this office that she really admired.

After a week in a suburban motel, Cam found a small apartment in Mississauga that suited his needs. He could take transit to work and leave the car at home, saving the horrific parking charges of downtown Toronto. It would give him time to enjoy a coffee and read the morning paper, free of the traffic hassles of Metro Toronto. All in all, it was a relieved Cam that looked ahead to his immediate future. He knew already that he wasn't going to miss Andrea. There was no feeling of pain associated with his leaving.

Andrea only called the office twice, and was twice told by a very direct Nancy that he was not taking calls from her. The second time was enough as the young receptionist heard the slam of the receiver before the call ended. She smiled to herself. That was the end of that, she was sure. Now, she only had to be a little patient before she could go about healing Cam's broken heart.

Cam had plenty of time to devote to other things. He'd had an abortive start to a novel based on the War of 1812, but it had bogged down for the want of accurate detail of the times. Andrea had distracted him and he had parked the effort until he could devote his energies more directly at the story. The outline was clear in his head. It was a matter of getting the detail right. Now, living on his own, he had the time and there were fewer distractions.

Chapter 4 A Permanent Solution?

Frigate Cove 2013

It was two weeks after Glynnis started her new job at the hardware store; a Friday afternoon to be exact, when she approached Cam.

"Here, this is rent for Jamie and me," she said, passing a number of twenties to a surprised Cam.

"No, Glynnis ... no! You're a guest here, not a tenant. Take this back," he said, pushing the money back at her.

"I am a tenant, Cameron Stuart, and I always pay my way. The free days are over. I'll be looking for a place to rent as soon as the next paycheck arrives. I can afford it now and I won't be a further burden to you. You've been a life saver and I've been taking advantage of you. It has to stop."

He looked at her, trying to get his brain to develop a reasonable argument to stop her crazy insistence at leaving.

"I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay here," he said sullenly.

"Oh no ... no, Cam! I did enjoy it. So did Jamie. You were wonderful to us. This is a lovely home and we've loved every minute of being here. But it has to end. I can't be taking advantage of you any longer."

Cam was desperate for an argument to change her mind. "You're not taking advantage of me. You're lovely person and a fine mother. You have been a delight to have in this home. You've contributed with cooking and cleaning too. Don't think for a moment you were taking advantage of me."

Glynnis was tiring of the debate. In her heart, she loved this place and respected and admired the man who had so generously and willingly taken them in during their hour of need. She didn't really want to leave, but she knew that she couldn't continue on here with the status quo.

"Glynnis, if you're looking for a place to rent, I know of one," Cam said, hoping she would bite.

"Where? In Frigate Cove?"

He nodded. "Here. If you insist, we can work out a rent and things will stay as they are. You won't find a better place than this, I guarantee you." He maintained a grim determined look, waiting for Glynnis to respond.

Glynnis didn't know what to do. Cam was right, they wouldn't find a better place than this home. But why was he so insistent that they stay? What was going on in his head? His expression revealed nothing. He was a delightful man, handsome too, she admitted. He seemed so at ease around her and Jamie. That was another thing, she realized. Jamie and Cam had become very close. Taking him away would not be popular with the boy ... and no doubt with Cam as well. What to do?

"I don't know," she finally admitted. "We owe you so much, Cam. I don't know how to repay you ... no matter what I decide."

"What is it you don't like or trust about my offer," he said, watching her carefully.

"You know what it is," she said immediately. "I ... we ... feel like we have forced our way into your life. We're interfering with your livelihood and your freedom. We can't do that to you."

Cam was shaking his head. "You don't get it, do you? For the first time since I moved here, this house feels like a home. With you and Jamie, it almost feels like I have a family. Oh, no ... not in that way, but the atmosphere in these rooms when you both are here is very comfortable.

"I'm not a bachelor by choice, Glynnis. I'm a bachelor by circumstance. I'm not a loner, but I've been alone. You and Jamie have cured that while you've been here. I would really rather not lose that. Please accept my offer, even if it means I'm your landlord."

Again, Glynnis was quiet as she searched his face. She had no idea how important she and Jamie were to Cam until he told her. She understood loneliness. She'd suffered her share of it herself. His confession about his bachelorhood was another revealing comment. She began to understand she really didn't know very much about Cameron Stuart yet. Could she live here comfortably as a tenant? Was it likely better than any alternative she could afford? It seemed the answer was obvious.

"Very well, Cam. How much would be a fair rental each month?" she sighed in surrender to his appeal.

"Well ... considering the household duties you already perform, I should think about a hundred a week would be plenty."

"What! Are you crazy? A hundred a week wouldn't get me a cardboard box beneath an overpass. That's ridiculous, Cam. I think a thousand a month would be more appropriate, and even that is tiny compared to most rents."

Again, he was shaking his head. "No ... I'm not sure you can afford a thousand dollars each month. You have to get school clothes and supplies for Jamie. You need to licence and insure your car in a couple of months. No ... why don't we settle on six hundred a month and see how you make out. If things go well for you at the hardware store, then we can discuss the rent at year-end. Would you agree to that as a temporary settlement?"

She looked at him carefully again, reasonably confident he had no other agenda than to keep her and Jamie safe and sound. She sighed once more in surrender.

"All right, I agree. But we'll talk about this again before the New Year. And ... I want this agreement in writing so that my obligations are clear. Understood?" she said forcefully, almost stamping her foot in emphasis.

"Okay," he chuckled, admiring the determination and principles of the woman.

"Where would I find another woman like this?" he asked himself. He felt a rush of relief and elation that she would stay. He would spend the rest of the day in a buoyant mood thanks to her decision.

An hour later, Glynnis presented him with a neatly typed one page document titled Lease Agreement, with appropriate places for them to sign. He read over the agreement, smiling as he noted her thoroughness and clarity. No lawyer would ever ascribe to write an agreement such as this on one page. Not enough billable hours. He quickly signed the agreement, smiling as he handed it back to her.

"Welcome to Maison Stuart, Glynnis. I hope you'll be happy here."

"I'm sure we will be," she smiled.

To Be Continued

coaster2
coaster2
2,595 Followers