Georgie Girl Ch. 13-15

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You haven't given up on your doctorate, have you?" my mother asked.

"No ... not at all, although I'm not sure I'll ever practice when I'm finished. I didn't realize just how much I'm intrigued by this whole idea. It has limitless applications and potential. It just seems to me to be a whole lot more important than the psychological problems of young, educated males. I'll still hand in my thesis and likely get my PhD, but it doesn't seem as critical as making John's project a reality."

"Any other issues on the budget?" Devon asked. Silence indicated that the issues had been discussed.

"On to discussion of remuneration for Kevin Riordan's involvement, then. John, I understand you and Thomas had a meeting with him to discuss this. Would you like to reveal the outcome of that meeting?"

"We met with Kevin earlier this week and discussed how we might fairly include him in our group as a minority partner in recognition of his contribution. He was reluctant at first, but when Thomas and I laid out our longer range plans and our desire to have him as a partner with some equity, he understood he wasn't just a short-term hire and we wanted him to be in on the ground floor.

"We discussed what we thought would be a reasonable share at ten percent and he was more than willing to accept that. He could see that this might be a company which would go public and that could mean a great deal more than just a salary. We suggested we would be willing to increase his salary, but he declined, saying he was happy with the arrangement we had. He was getting free room and board at Nan's and enjoying every minute of working with us toward our goal."

"He's a damn fine man to have around, too," Nan said, speaking up for the first time. He's been fixing up a lot of little things that needed fixing in my place and I don't think I've ever met anyone as organized or neat as Kevin. I've finally got someone to talk to in my own home and it's a real pleasure, let me tell you."

"Well then," Devon said with a smile, "can I assume his attendance at the Smithton board meetings would be welcomed?"

The vote, as informal as it was, was unanimous. Kevin was now formally part of Smithton PWTS. His attendance at our unscheduled meetings would contribute more to our deliberations on the future of our company.

Chapter 14 Making it Happen

Devon had drawn up the papers of incorporation for our little company, registering us as Smithton PWTS, Inc. I was the nominal CEO, while Thomas was CFO and Georgette was Director of Market Research with Kevin being Director of Manufacturing. All the other investors were listed as Directors at large.

Georgette's primary responsibility was to make sure we were filling the right need(s) with our designs and she took her job very seriously. I expected nothing less, of course. That was her personality, as I discovered when she interviewed me.

I was upset that she was going to be gone for some time as she did her survey. I had become so used to having her with me every day that I hadn't figured on her being away for any length of time. The only thing that tempered my concern was my need to study for my final examinations and make sure that I earned my degree. That would keep me occupied.

When she planned her trip, she decided to fly to her main destinations and rent a four-wheel-drive SUV. She expected she would be driving some rough roads and trails to get to the sites she had to visit. I was not surprised, but quite pleased at how much her involvement with our project had drawn her in. As far as I could tell, she was completely immersed in it and totally committed to helping wherever she could.

We had long since passed the one-hundred-thousand dollar mark in expenses when she left for her assignment. I drove her to the airport and said our loving good-bye as she proceeded through the security gate. She would be gone for a month, give or take. We would talk on the phone or by Skype daily, but it was no substitute for having her with me in our bed. There were going to be some lonely nights.

Kevin continued to soldier on with our prototypes that were now taking shape in the shop we had rented. He had worked with the supplier of the reverse osmosis system and had convinced them to strengthen what we thought were weak points in their system. It had never been designed to be portable or operate in hostile environments and they saw no need to "over-build" their units. An amount of cash was required to convince them that it was important to us.

What our supplier didn't know was that we were replacing some of their components with our more rugged pieces. Their nylon tubing and brass fittings would all be replaced by Charlie Prendergast's products. We were also swapping out their filter materials with Dow's new specification material, designed specifically for us. It would void their warranty, but that wasn't an issue in our prototypes. We were getting closer to beginning our testing.

Georgette had been away almost two weeks when I got a call from her late one morning.

"John, I think we might have a problem," she began after our usual greetings.

"What kind of problem?"

"I think someone might be working on the same idea as we are. I've been talking to a number of people in the Amarillo area and they're telling me I'm not the first person to ask about water costs and volumes. They were around here about two months ago asking questions of some of the ranchers and other landowners."

I sat quietly for a moment, thinking about what this might mean.

"John? John? Are you still there?"

"Yeah ... still here. Just thinking for a moment. It might not mean what we think. It might mean someone with the larger units trying to figure out if there's a market for them. What about the water board. Did they show up there?"

"Not that anyone mentioned."

"Good. So maybe it's like I said, someone with a large unit surveying the possibilities."

"Maybe," she said, not sounding too convinced. "Some of the questions they asked made it sound like a more portable unit at lower cost. That's really what we're talking about isn't it?"

"Yeah. Definitely. Did they leave any business cards or mention a name to anyone?"

"Yes. The guy said he was representing Clearwater Resources out of Detroit. His name was Milos Czerny. I'll spell that for you."

I searched my memory and couldn't recall any company called Clearwater or the distinctive name of the man.

"Detroit, huh. That's unusual. Did he talk about their development at all?"

"Yes, but just in vague terms," she said. "You know, portable, cheap, does all the things we are trying to do. One of the guys I talked to said he got the impression they were bringing this in from Europe somewhere. I'm not near an Internet connection right now, so I haven't looked him or the company up."

"Hold on, let me do that now." I quickly googled Clearwater Resources and found a web page. They were located in Hamtramck, a suburb of Detroit I presumed.

"They feature a whole bunch of equipment, but I don't see anything related to water purification. They've got pumps and pneumatic equipment, apparently supply some stuff to the auto industry. No names on the website that I can see."

"Do you think your contacts in Midland might know something about them?"

"Good question. I'll call Dow this morning and see what I can find out."

"Okay. It was just dumb luck that I interviewed two ranchers who they called on as well. Otherwise, I wouldn't have known anything about them."

"This may not amount to anything, Georgette. But let's not take anything for granted. When are you leaving for Boise?"

"This afternoon. I'm meeting with the local rancher's association tomorrow morning and with the state water board that afternoon."

"Good work, girl. You're really diving into this, aren't you?"

"No half-measures for my guy, John. We'll do this together and do it right," she stated emphatically.

"Good luck, love. I'll call if I learn anything new about Clearwater or this Milos guy. Otherwise, we'll talk tonight as usual. Love you, Babe."

"Take care, John. Love you," she said, hanging up.

Even though we talked to each other every day, it was no substitute for being together. I was counting the days until her survey and research project was complete and she was home in my arms once more. It was the first time we had been apart since New Years of the previous year and I missed her terribly.

I didn't waste any time calling Bob Mears at Midland.

"Mr. Mears, it's John Smith. Can you spare me a minute? Something's come up that you might be able to help with."

"Go ahead, John. How can I help?"

"Have you ever heard of a company called Clearwater Resources?"

"Nope. Never heard of them. I can ask around if you like."

"What about a man named Milos Czerny?"

"Hmmm. That does have a familiar ring to it. Again, I'll ask around. Rex is probably the best guy to ask. He has more contacts than I'll ever have. What's this about?"

I explained what Georgette had learned and the reason for my trying find out about both the company and the man.

"Tell you what, John. You call Rex and talk to him. I'll call our legal department and have them check out the company and the name. I'll let you know what they learn as soon as I hear. In the meantime, keep me informed about what Rex knows."

"Great. Thanks, Mr. Mears. I really appreciate your help."

"No problem ... and it's Bob, remember?" I could hear the friendliness in his voice.

"Right. Thanks, Bob."

I was punching in Rex's cell number as soon as I signed off with Bob. It went immediately to voice mail and I left a quick message outlining what I wanted to know and why. Two hours later I got a call from him.

"Hey, John, good to hear from you. What's this about a competitor showing up?"

"Not sure, Rex, but Georgette was doing some surveying of potential customers in and around Texas and New Mexico and heard about someone asking similar questions. Some guy named Milos Czerny representing Clearwater Resources. Ever heard of either of them?"

"Sure, I know Milos. He's a broker for eastern European equipment. Lives in Brno in the Czech Republic some of the time, near Detroit other times. Fairly reliable guy I hear. Never heard of Clearwater, though."

"Okay. Bob is checking out both names with your legal department to see what he can learn. What do you know about Milos?"

"He's been trying for years to get a foothold in the North American market for equipment and machinery. Most of it is from the Czech Republic, but some from Slovakia, some from Poland and Romania. That's where all his contacts are. Some of the stuff is pretty good and some of it is junk. You think he's got something like what you are building?"

"Could be. Georgette said that's what he was implying to some of the ranchers."

"Well, as far as filters go, there is one good supplier in Germany who could come close to our specifications, but they don't really work in our area of interest. They are more involved in filters for high-end automobiles, aircraft and ships. They have a medical division for hospitals and clinics, but that's a different technology too. Your specification is very precise and I can't see this company doing development work in a whole new field."

"Okay, that's helpful I guess. I wonder what he's up to? I'd sure like to know for some peace of mind. We're close to testing our prototypes and I don't want to rush the process if I don't have to."

"I wouldn't worry too much, John. Even if he's on the same track, you and I both know just how complex the equipment is. A cheap knock-off isn't going to cut it. And as far as water quality goes, you just can't mess with that. Way too dangerous for health reasons."

"Okay, Rex. Thanks a lot for getting back to me so quickly. I'm sure Bob will have something in a day or two, so I'll hang on for him. In the meantime, we'll continue at our current pace."

"Good thinking, John. Don't rush anything. It usually comes back to bite you sooner or later."

We signed off and I stuck the phone back in its cradle. Was this a false alarm or not? I knew we were building a piece of equipment that we considered "bullet-proof" and we weren't prepared to compromise. Kevin was adamant that it would be the key to our success. It might be more expensive than a cheap imitation, but it would stand up to the test and its lifespan would be considerably longer. Value for money, he preached. I was a believer.

We had talked with Thomas about the possibility of cheaper Chinese product showing up once the market was established. There were a couple of options for us, we decided. Stick to our plan and continue to build and source our machine in America was our first objective. If forced to go to Plan B, partner with another company for components, some of which could be made offshore if they met our specifications. Whatever the choice, it was important that we continued to refine and develop our equipment continuously. The Japanese taught us that lesson.

Later that morning I briefed Thomas and Kevin on Georgette's call and my conversations with Bob and Rex.

"Looks like you've done what needs to be done, John," Thomas said thoughtfully. "We'll just have to be patient and see what Bob comes up with. I don't think we should panic at this stage. Let's stay the course and keep working toward the goal at our pace."

"I agree," Kevin added. "I think we have something very good developing here. Let's keep working toward the original target and make sure it's the best we can make it."

I was pleased with the support and confidence that Thomas and Kevin had in our project. Perhaps I was overreacting, but I'd been working on this development for a long time and to have a competitor show up out of nowhere was very disconcerting.

Georgette called at her usual time of eight o'clock that evening.

"What did you find out, John?"

"Not a lot. Rex knows who Milos is. He's an importer of equipment and machinery from the former eastern bloc countries. Operates out of the Czech Republic as well as the Detroit area. Bob Mears at Dow is having his legal people do a search on Clearwater Resources and Milos to see what they can learn."

"Are you worried?" she asked, sounding worried herself.

"I was, but your father and Kevin helped settle me down. We went through the objectives of the project and decided we didn't want to rush anything or change direction now. We have a good plan and we're sticking to it. Rex didn't seem to take the threat very seriously, so I'm trying to put it in the back of my mind and not let it bother me."

"Good. I'm glad to hear that. Don't get distracted with things that you can't control. I'm all set up for my appointments tomorrow and I'll call as soon as I'm done. I'm hoping to get some good information from the Idaho Water Resource Board."

We talked for another half-hour about anything but our project. Mostly we discussed the wedding and the plans that were being made.

"Our mothers are carrying the load on this, aren't they," I suggested.

"Yes. I'll have more time when I get back from this trip so that I can help too. This is going to be a big event in both our families," she said. "June 25th is coming sooner than you think."

"You've gone through this before. What was the first wedding like?"

"Let's agree that we won't talk about that," Georgette said immediately. "It's not going to be the same and I don't want to go back there."

"Okay ... sorry ... didn't mean to get you upset," I quickly apologized. When was I going to learn to keep my curiosity about her past to myself?

"So, what is your bridal gown going to be?" I asked, hoping I was on safer ground.

"Full length, not much cleavage," she chuckled. "Sorry about that. Mother insisted it be a modest design."

"As befits her modest daughter," I chuckled. "So what color? White?"

"Do you remember what I was wearing the first time I interviewed you?"

"Of course. Pale green blouse and navy skirt."

"Wow! I'm impressed. Well, my gown will be an even paler green. Very subtle color and I think you'll like it."

"It wouldn't matter what you wore to our wedding. It's you I'm marrying, not the gown. But I like the idea of that color being almost the first thing I ever saw you wear."

"What was the first?"

"The sorority mixer. You were wearing a bright blue top and your extra tight designer jeans. Very distracting as I recall."

She laughed. "I recall that too. Ginny didn't seem too impressed. You have a good memory despite your problem."

"You might as well have been wearing a flashing neon sign. I couldn't help but notice you and remember exactly how you looked and what you wore."

"Well, to tell the truth, I was trolling for interview candidates and my appearance wasn't accidental. It worked too. I hooked you."

"You hooked me good, girl. Hooked, landed, and soon to be filleted."

"So, how am I going to serve you?" She was well into the spirit of this nonsensical conversation.

"Just the way you have since we got together, smokin' hot."

The laughter was contagious and it took a while before we settled back into a normal conversation.

"I miss you, Georgie. I really do. Where are you going after tomorrow?"

"It depends on what I learn from the Water Resource Board. If I can get enough information from them, I'm heading for Montana to talk to some of the high plains ranchers. I'll leave here and drive to Butte, then up to Great Falls and maybe a little farther north toward Canada. It's a two day drive but I'm confident I'll get the information we're looking for."

"You might as well come back to Coeur d'Alene when you're done. You're going to end up there anyway."

"That thought crossed my mind. You can drive my car up there and be waiting for me. I'll unsaddle my horse, knock the dust off my Stetson and chaps, spit out the last of my chewing tobacco and give you a big kiss."

"Don't forget to scrape the cow shit off your boots," I laughed. "And make sure you use mouthwash before I kiss you."

"Aw you college boys are all the same. A bunch of pussies. What's a little tobacco juice among really good friends?"

"A mood killer, that's what!"

It was fun to tease each other like this, but underlying it all was a longing to be together. The humor was a mask for the loneliness and hunger we had for each other. It wouldn't go away until we were together again.

"I'll call you tomorrow and let you know how my meetings went. I'll write them up and e-mail them to you. That way I won't forget anything."

"Good luck, love. I'll talk to you again tomorrow."

As I signed off I looked up at the calendar and tried to estimate when she would be back in Coeur d'Alene. I would be finished my exams five days before she would return. That would give me enough time to pack up and drive back to Idaho, arriving before she did.

Georgette called at her usual time the next evening.

"John, I got some great information from the Water Resource Board. They have all kinds of quality measurements for quite a few areas and some of the numbers are not very good. They are very curious about what we have in mind, but I gave them only vague generalities about our project. That still provoked a lot of questions, but I think I got a lot more information than they did."

"How about the ranchers association?"

"Not bad. They have some problems, but they are very reluctant to share information for fear someone will quarantine their cattle if they suspect contaminated water or feed. However, the idea that there might be a cost effective system for making sure their range water was safe got their attention. They're holding their cards close to the vest, but I know I got their interest."

"Any indication anyone else has been nosing around like you heard in Texas?"