Goerke's Corner Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I had found a worn-out broom in the garage and took it to the shop with me. I spent a half hour just knocking down cobwebs. The more I studied the equipment the more I realized everything was still in good condition. In spite of some of the cords showing signs of dry rot every piece still worked. The few cordless tools he had were the old 9.6V battery type. I would have to upgrade those as well if I stayed. I had a 12V cordless drill and there was talk of 18V coming on the market within a year.

Before I knew it the morning had slipped away and I was heading toward Clairemont. I stopped at the BP for fuel. While there I asked about the old gas station in Goerke's Corner. The older lady behind the counter tilted her head to the side before speaking.

"If that place still had gas and basic groceries it would cut my sales in half. We opened this place eleven years ago and struggled to keep it afloat until they closed the store and started running out of gas every three or four weeks. The only reason I'm open is because we're the only thing between Clairemont and Two Rivers. My husband's dead, I thought I'd be retired by now, cept I can't find anybody who wants to own a gas station anymore."

I can't remember driving from the BP to the motel. My mind was busy contemplating what to do. If I stayed money wouldn't be an issue. Living on base and eating most of my meals in the chow hall meant the majority of my monthly wage went into the bank. I began making investments around the 12th year of my enlistment and all had done well. With my savings, investments and retirement pay I could live well. The real question for me was whether I should restart the business? Or buy the gas station and grocery store? And what about the orchard, was it worth trying to save? What if I did all three? I didn't have enough money to buy everything outright without being broke, but I had enough to make a decent down payment with a low mortgage payment if it came to that.

I spent the afternoon researching the latest codes for gas stations and grocery stores under a certain size. While looking through realty pages I happened upon a listing for the orchard. They wanted 100K originally, it had been reduced to 75K without an offer in the six months it had been listed. That amount was far less than I anticipated it would be. I started thinking that maybe my money would go a lot further than I originally thought. Before I knew it the clock was showing five twenty-three and my stomach was grumbling. It was back to the Cat's Meow for another blue plate special.

I had finished my meal and was sitting with a last cup of coffee when a guy who had been staring at me walked over and sat across the table from me. The words from his lips left me in awe.

"You Robert Tillman?" He asked.

I nodded and said, "That's me. I'm at a disadvantage though. I don't know who you are."

"Steve Orson. The guy you punched in the gut on the bus. Do you remember now?"

I wasn't looking for a confrontation of any sort, but it looked like one was about to happen. I steeled myself and started to rise when he held his hand up in a stop motion.

"Whoa. Slow down. I'm not here to fight. I just thought it was you and wanted to say welcome back. You must be out by now."

I settled back, "I am. Been about a month. Things are sure different than when I left. Goerke's Corner is so run down. It looks like a third world country."

He nodded. "You're right, it does. A crying shame to, that little town has potential, but nobody wants to sink money into a rundown village."

"What is it you do for a living Steve? Is there a wife and kids?" I asked.

His face saddened, "Yup. Had a wife and two kids. She headed off to what she thought were greener pastures as soon as the last one graduated a year ago. It didn't go like she thought it would, but she's two thousand miles away and there's nothing I can do to help. Even if I wanted to. Which I don't. She took half of everything including the business. There's no love lost between us."

"And the kids?" I asked.

"Yeah, both in college. Well, I should say one's in college the other is in nursing school."

I was curious. "What business are you in?"

"I own an HVAC business. I had to pay her half of what it was worth. That's what I meant when I said she got half the business. I had a good lawyer though. I got off without having to pay maintenance as they call it now and my payment to her for half the business was the end of it."

Well, well, well. Imagine that. An HVAC man, someone I would be looking for soon. He gave me a card and wished me luck as we parted. The rest of the evening I spent mulling over all the crap I'd been told since getting back home. The old gas station and grocery outlet, the orchard, the BP that wanted to sell. The house in serious need of upgrades, and what about the shop? Did I want to try and rejuvenate the business? I certainly wouldn't be able to do it alone. If I did buy the gas station and reopen the store where would I find reliable employees? So frickin many questions and no immediate answers. It was well after midnight before sleep found me.

I didn't sleep much. Twenty plus years of getting up at 5:30 eventually becomes something your body does naturally. Very few were the days I slept past 6 at the latest. I was up and in the middle of my morning run when I damned near ran into the path of a car as I crossed an intersection. The screech of brakes on pavement made me well aware of where I was. Walking to the car to apologize I was greeted, and I use the term loosely, by a woman screaming at me. Telling me I'm an idiot, that I need to pay attention and watch where the hell I'm going. Before I could utter a word she stomped on it making the tires squawk slightly and was gone.

I noticed a small bagel place the day before during my morning run and stopped in to look around on the way back to the motel. They were fresh, warm, smelling delicious. I grabbed a few to go and started making way to the motel. I had a single cup coffee maker in my room, a cup of fresh coffee and a few bagels would be a good start to the day. I was in the shower when I decided to do some actual research on the old gas station and attached building. The county seat was located where I happened to be staying, I was sure I could obtain all the info I was looking for there.

Knowing the registry office would have access to public records I went there first. I had an ill feeling in the pit of my stomach as I walked into the registry office. Who of all people should be sitting at the desk but the woman who had been screaming at me just a few hours earlier. I was about to spin on my heels and exit when the old marine spirit kicked in. I stood tall, pushed my shoulders back and lifted my chin all the time admonishing myself. *You're a Marine dammit, act like one. You've dealt with greater threats than this. Buck up boy.* As I reached the counter she raised her head with a disappointed look on her face.

"Oh shit. Not you again. What the hell did I do wrong to deserve you twice in one day?"

I wasn't sure if I should laugh or spit in her eye. I chose the lighter answer and chuckled, "Yes, it's me. The errant runner. I didn't have a chance to apologize earlier. You were in sort of a hurry."

That answer seemed to sooth the troubled waters enough for her to grin and ask, "What can I do for you?"

After explaining what I was thinking she sent me away with everything of public record concerning the old buildings, the orchard and the BP convenience store. There was no question in my mind what I would be doing for the next few days. I had a stack of papers two inches thick, $37 worth of copies. I didn't know it then but those files and the hours of reading ahead of me would in time save me from making foolish mistakes. Or to put it in military lingo, save my ass.

I spent the next three days on my laptop computer, with an ethernet connection in the room my research went much faster. My time was spent pouring over the documents I had gotten from city hall. If I wasn't reading those, I was on the internet trying to find out what the state codes for fuel storage and dispensing were. By Saturday I felt that I was ready to take another look at Goerke's Corner and make a final decision.

Other than the sagging canopy about to collapse at the gas station the building was solid. The pumps and holding tanks would have to be replaced along with new regulations for the electrical. The store itself hadn't changed much. The few coolers it had were all self-contained and not working. All in all the buildings were sound and in desperate need of repair and not replacement. Walking through the orchard was a different experience. Trees needed to be pruned, some needed to be gotten rid of, but the rest was in full bloom. The bees were buzzing, pollinating the blossoms, it would be a good year for apples. I instantly knew it was underpriced, there was money to be made.

My entire morning had been consumed looking around and evaluating the condition of each entity. I made it to the house just before two in the afternoon. The afternoon was spent getting the toilets, bathtub, and kitchen sink functioning properly. I hadn't planned to stay long term at the motel and knew I would need the basics of a bathroom and kitchen to work at the house. Perusing for-sale ads in the paper I saw at least a half dozen bed sets for sale. I could probably have a mattress and box spring delivered on Monday if I got my butt in gear and bought them before the stores in Clairmont closed.

That didn't happen and probably for a good reason. On the way back to Goerke's Corner in the morning I stopped at a garage sale with a bed and mattress for sale. The mattress was less than six months old, clean and firm, just the way I liked it. I bartered with the lady until I had what I thought was a good price, paid the lady, loaded it on my truck, strapped it down and was ready to boogie on towards the house. Before leaving town I had purchased a few groceries, toilet paper, paper towels, cleaning supplies and a broom. What I didn't have was a lamp, lo and behold there sat one at the end of the driveway. I gave the lady another six bucks and made haste before I bought something else. You know what they say, one man's junk is another man's treasure.

The morning was spent cleaning and setting up the bed. At which time I remembered I not only didn't have a blanket, I didn't have any sheets either. Or a pillow. Remembering that I had passed a small Walmart when I went through Two Rivers I decided to go there instead of Clairemont. Considering I had lived most of the past 21 years in the NCO quarters on base I was in for a shock when it came to the price of bedding. There was no choice so it made no sense to grumble. I recalled a saying a Master Gunnery Sergeant that I worked for as a young man would say if you didn't like an order.

*Where there is no choice there is no problem. Now get your ass in gear.*

I smiled and thanked the lady as I checked out. Working my way through town I spied a tavern called The Lone Pine Saloon. The sign went on to say, best damned burgers in town. That sounded like a challenge my stomach was ready to put to the test. Considering I hadn't eaten anywhere else in town I wasn't sure if it was the "best" damned burger in town, but it was mighty tasty. Remembering I had nothing to cook with had me back at the store buying more paraphernalia. Damn. Living on my own was getting expensive. It was dark by the time I had sheets and a blanket on the bed. Even with the blanket I was cold. I bravely got out of bed, raised the thermostat slightly thanking God the furnace came on and the house didn't blow up.

On my early morning run I took in the scenery. With no one living in them so many of the older houses were ready to collapse. That alone made me sad, running past the old gas station made it worse. I wondered, could this small haven of tranquility be revived to some of its past glory, or was I whistling in the wind? After a breakfast of bacon, eggs and toast made in the oven I dressed for a day of yard work. The spring weather had things flush, the bushes along the driveway were way overdue for trimming. The grass had been cut but it obviously it hadn't been done in some time because there were clumps of it throughout the yard. Those would need to be raked and put on what Ma had always designated as her mulch pile.

I was bushed and ready to go in for lunch when I heard my name. "Rob, hey Robbie, Robert."

Looking to the left I saw Andy Stuttgart who had just used every name I'd been referred to growing up. He had graduated ten years before me so I didn't know him well, he apparently remembered me. With a handshake and a smile he welcomed me back.

"Are you stayin or just getting the place ready to sell? Would sure be nice if you stayed, this town needs a guy like you. Do you remember Lisa Arnts? Uh huh, well I married her, we got three girls. All married now livin' other places. They couldn't wait to get outa town. Lisa and me are settled here. We bought the place when mom and dad died. Sure was a pity when your folks went. Made the whole town sad. Well you remember, you were here."

Walking away he told me I was welcome anytime. I shouted back that I would take a rain check on that. The morning's work and a grilled ham and cheese sandwich had me ready for a nap. Which I felt obliged to take. That was something else new to me. There aren't naps in the Marine Corps. I surprised myself by sleeping almost two hours which had me raring to go again. It was seven with dusk setting in when I reached the end of my busy day. A frozen pizza baked as I showered. After a few pieces I was ready for bed. Lying there staring at the dark ceiling I pondered what Monday morning might bring.

I ran through the orchard and along what was once Main Street for my early morning run. The gas station looked lost and forlorn. As I passed it I wondered once again, was it salvageable? Could it ever make money again? As I was running towards the house Andy and Lois were driving out. They stopped, Andy lowered the window to say hello. I asked if they knew who owned the orchard.

Andy sat straight up, "Why? You gonna buy it? Still a lotta life left in those trees ya know."

Lisa leaned forward looking past Andy, "If you do buy the orchard will you open the apple stand store again?"

"Yeah, probably." I responded.

"Well if you do, and I know it's not a done deal. But if you do, I'll gladly bake pies again like I did when I was pregnant with our second and third. I worked with Betty Martin for six years before they closed the stand. Keep me in mind."

Andy told me the name of the people who owned the orchard, the conversation ended and they were off for who knows where. They were too young for retirement and I had no idea where they worked. I made my way to the gas station around ten that morning only to find it closed. I was about to walk home when Gilbert pulled in. His clothes weren't fresh by any stretch of the imagination, he hadn't shaved and his hair looked like he combed it with an egg beater.

Looking me over he mumbled, "Mornin Robert. What you doin here so early?"

I looked at him with wonder, "Early? What are you talking about? It's after ten."

"Yeah. I quit comin in at 8 when the Post Office people said they was gonna move everything to Clairemont. Gonna ask agin, what you doin here Robert?"

I wanted to kick him in the ass so hard that he would have a ring around his neck. I chose to calm myself down and try to find something redeemable in this horseshit conversation. Following him into the building I didn't give him a chance to grab a beer before he sat down. I cornered him immediately.

"How much do you want for this dump Gilbert? It's falling apart but maybe I can do something with it."

His flippant answer pissed me off. "Gimme a hunnerd grand and it's yers."

My answer set him back a pace or two, "Suck my dick. Now give me the real price. Cash money. You can walk away with money in your pocket if the price is right."

I could see the gears turning. "I'll hafta think about it. Need to talk with the bank. They kinda own it."

I was so pissed I nearly couldn't see straight. "Which bank Gil? I'm ready to kick your ass so don't fuck with me anymore."

His smirk went to a look of fear in seconds. "State bank in Clairemont."

I knew what direction I needed to go if this was going to work. I would drive to Clairemont in the afternoon and find out what I could. In the meantime I needed the phone number of the people who owned the orchard. It was time to press Gilbert for more information. As I walked back inside he was visibly moved and looked afraid.

I waved my hand at him, "Calm down I'm not here to kick your ass. Give me the number of the people who own the orchard."

Back at the house I called and set up an appointment for the next morning. The wife babbled on and on about this and that at the orchard until I stopped her.

"Listen Mrs. Caroll. We can talk about all these things tomorrow. I'll see you at ten."

If I hadn't stopped her who knows how long she would have continued rambling on about nothing. Meeting the loan manager at the bank was an interesting situation. Seems old Gilbert was into them for over fifty grand, they were getting ready to foreclose. His question piqued my interest.

"Are you interested in buying the property? If you are I'm willing to make it worth your while. The board would have to approve it but I'm pretty sure you could have it for seventy-five."

I shook my head, "Nah. I'll wait until it goes on the auction block and buy it for a song."

He quickly countered, "You could do that, but it will take months for that to happen."

I laughed, "I can wait."

His attitude changed, "What would you be willing to offer sir?"

"You mentioned the bank was owed nearly fifty thousand. Is that correct?"

"It is, but we need to make a profit."

I was in a jovial mood and decided to tweak the smarmy dude. "Alright. Make it an even fifty, then you'll see some profit."

He scoffed, "The board will never approve that."

I laughed in his face, "Then you're shit outa luck buddy. Take my offer to the board, then call me when they approve it. Oh, and it will be a cash sale, you aren't going to get any interest from me."

I stood and walked out feeling like I was in control for the first time since returning to Goerke's Corner. I had a plan, if I could get the orchard for a reasonable price thing's would begin falling into place. I checked out of the motel, stopped at the Cat's Meow for all you can eat Chicken special followed by a piece of pie to go. The pie would be my evening snack. It's a good thing I was still running every day because my calorie intake had increased since being back in old stomping grounds.

It was just after 7 when I got home, or shall I say what would now be my home. Feeling nostalgic I found the box of family photos in the basement where I put them after burying mother. It took a bit of time but I eventually found the album I was looking for. My sister Barb and me picked apples every year from the time we were about 14. We were two years apart almost to the day and had always been close. I remember how she cried when I left for the military. Looking through those photos brought back so many pleasant memories. There were several pictures of me, Hilda, and Barb in that orchard. I wondered aloud, *Could it be that same wonderful place to grow up and learn the value of working with your hands once again, or was it beyond being salvaged? *

I was tired enough that I went to bed without eating my slice of pie. It made for a rather decadent breakfast after my morning run. My mind was busy from the moment I woke, while I ran, while I had the piece of pie, and as I sat leaning against an apple tree waiting for the present owners to arrive. All I seemed to be able to think about was whether they would accept my offer. Going through the past records I'd gotten at the courthouse, I knew they owned it outright. I also knew from talking to Andy that with they were in their late 60's and bought it on a whim thinking how quaint it would be living in what they called the boonies.