Grateful

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Then how about we load up everything in the house we could eat or use, stop by your houses, and hit the road?" he suggested.

Wilbur and Emma looked at Nelson who was smiling and nodding.

"Well, we have some cash squirreled away in the bin so we could help with the..."

"No. Please. This is something I want to do for you. I've been very...fortunate...and I'll happy to help out financially. Not because I'm Bill Gates or anything. I'd just be honored to do something for such good folks."

"But all you've done is help out," Emma told him. "We have money, Kane. And taking charity isn't something we're okay with doing."

"Well, just the same, I'd prefer to help as much as you'll let me."

He turned to Nelson and said, "For you and the kids, too."

When she didn't respond, he reached over and touched her shoulder then said, "Please?"

"Well...okay. If you don't mind my two kids talking or maybe arguing the whole way," she told him. "Or Cocoa Puff barking."

"That sounds a whole lot better than sitting here for days waiting for water and electricity."

"All right then. I'm game," Nelson said.

"If you'll let us chip in financially, we accept, too," Wilbur said.

"Deal and...deal," he said to Wilbur and to Nelson.

"Kids? You wanna go on a trip?" Nelson said to the children who were looking for tadpoles in a puddle of water.

An hour later they were on their way as Kane carefully drove through the still-partially-flooded areas of the city. It wasn't nearly as bad as he'd anticipated, but every store and gas station were closed—something he had expected.

He had a full tank of gas, and a five-gallon can strapped to the back of the Explorer, and plenty of food and water to get them to the next place that had power, fuel, and food. The only minor issue was keeping Fluffy up front and Cocoa Puff in the very back, but even that was no big deal.

Four hours later, they pulled into a huge truck stop that had a very large souvenir shop which also sold tee-shirts and shorts as well as flip flops. Once they all had something to wear, they paid to use the showers where everyone was able to get clean while standing under the most amazing hot water they'd ever felt.

Kane felt like a million bucks when he walked out of the shower and restroom area with Joey, but felt like two million when he saw Nelson.

"They had blow dryers," she said as she noticed him admiring her long, silky hair which now perfectly framed her pretty face.

"You look pretty, Momma," Joey told her before Kane could speak.

"He's right," Kane said with a smile.

"Well, thank you both, gentlemen," she said with a smile.

Kane saw Cassie standing there and felt bad he hadn't noticed her. But he really couldn't blame himself because her mom was sucking all the oxygen out of the room.

"You look very nice yourself, young lady," he told her.

When he got a smile and a 'thank you' in reply, he felt less guilty, and when Nelson smiled at him, he felt great.

The Taylors came out last, and although they were clean, they looked hilarious wearing clothes made for much younger people.

Emma was well aware of that and said, "Aren't we old fogies just a sight!"

"You look...fun!" Nelson said cheerfully.

"And I look fun—ny," Wilbur said getting a chuckle from Kane and a giggle from Cassie.

They all sat down and got something to eat in the diner, and talked about the future.

"So you think you'll stay with your son long-term?" Kane asked.

"I just spoke with him, by the way. Emma had the phone with her, and now that we have service, we were able to call. So, to answer your question, yes, until the insurance pays up. With all the claims from Corpus Christi to Beaumont—and especially Houston—that's gonna take a while. But after that we'll probably buy a place close to our boy," Wilbur said with no hint of sadness or loss.

"How about you, Nelson?" Emma asked politely. "Will you rebuild your home?"

"Oh, I don't know," she said, suddenly very quiet.

"You know you're welcome to stay at my place for as long as you need to, right?" Kane said quietly.

"That's very kind of you, but after a certain amount of time, that just doesn't seem feasible."

"No worries. We can find a way to work out the whole privacy thing, and maybe you could even help me decorate the cave. Not the man cave, mind you. The whole place which looks like a cave. A very empty cave."

She smiled weakly but didn't laugh, and Kane knew there was something else going on.

"I don't have flood insurance," she finally said. "All the damage is due to flooding, and companies absolutely will not pay for damage caused by flooding so..."

Joey saw it first and said, "Don't cry, Momma. We'll be fine."

Kane was sitting next to her and instinctively put an arm around her small shoulders.

"We'll get through this," he told her.

"We? No, you'll get through this. But we...I don't know what we're going to do," she said as the tears ran down her face.

"For starters, you are staying with me, and I won't take 'no' for an answer? Got it?" he said as though he was talking to a junior Marine.

"Okay," she said without commitment more to get him to stop than by way of agreement.

"We'll be okay, Mommy," Cassie said, using the diminutive form for the first time in several years.

"I know, honey," Nelson said forcing a smile. "We always get by, don't we?"

Cassie excused herself and came around the table and set on the other side of her mother and put her arm around her.

"We made it all right after Daddy died, and Kane will take care of us, okay?" she said as Kane smiled down at her and nodded when she looked up for his approval.

"I sure will. You can take that to the bank," he said.

"To the bank?" Cassie asked causing her mom to almost laugh.

"It's just an expression, sweetie. It means he will."

Nelson reached across her lap with her left hand until she found Kane's right then held it.

"I don't know how we got so lucky, but I'm very grateful. For everything," she told him.

Kane only smiled, and mostly at her use of his new favorite word, then said, "Oh, let's not forget to pick up some toothbrushes and toothpaste when we're done."

"I didn't want to ask, but...thank you for saying that," Nelson said as she fought off the urge to cry again out of a sense of frustration and relief. "If it's not too much, can we maybe get some floss, too?"

Kane gave her a 'you've gotta be kidding look' as though that would break the bank, and Nelson finally smiled and said, "Stop!"

He squeezed her hand then said, "Okay. For you I will."

He wanted to add, "Do anything," but he didn't need to say anything else stupid anytime soon.

An hour or so later, the Explorer, like them, was topped off, and they were back on Interstate 10 headed east before turning north to Columbus, Georgia, located on the western edge of the state where it borders Alabama.

It was a 675-mile trip, and an hour later they'd covered just over half the distance, all in air-conditioned comfort, something none of them would ever take for granted again.

After dinner, Kane suggested they stop somewhere for the night, but Wilbur assured him they could stand to drive straight through if Kane and the Montgomerys were okay with that.

"Sure, but we can't all stay at your son's place," Kane reminded them.

"No, that's true," the older man said.

"But we will have to stay somewhere tonight, and it only makes sense to let you two spend the night with family," Kane said, having sized things up and come to the better decision.

When Nelson agreed, he said, "Okay. We'll press on."

When they got to their destination, it was obvious there was a lot of love and concern in this family as Wilbur's son, daughter-in-law and teenage son ran outside to meet them. They also shook hands with Kane and thanked him profusely, using that word again to let him know how grateful they were.

In spite of not having nearly enough room for him or Nelson, let alone her children, they nonetheless offered.

Kane thanked them sincerely, but insisted they find somewhere to stay in town. Wilbur's son recommended a couple of decent hotels, and after making sure the Taylors were all set, they got back in the Explorer and headed south toward I-10.

It was very late, and the kids fell asleep within minutes of getting back on the road.

"One of those places is just up ahead," Kane mentioned once he realized the kids were gone.

"Whatever you think is best," Nelson said.

She paused then said, "And there's something I want you to know, Kane."

He glanced her way to let her know she was listening before she said, "I will pay you back for all of this. I don't know how long it will take, but I'll pay back every penny."

They'd managed to retrieve her waterlogged purse with her drivers license and a credit card, but Kane had so far insisted on paying for everything. He tried to do so in a way to avoid hurting Nelson's pride after everything else she was dealing with, but he'd refused to let her pay for anything.

"I know," he said quietly knowing full well he'd never take one red cent from her.

Just having her and the kids as well as Cocoa Puff was payment enough. He still wasn't wild about Fluffy, but if the cat made the kids happy, then he could live with that, too.

He pulled into a Courtyard by Marriott hotel a few miles later causing Nelson to say, "This place is very nice," which Kane took to mean 'too expensive.'

"You can pay for breakfast in the morning," he told her hoping that would ease the guilt she was clearly feeling.

"Well, okay," she reluctantly agreed, unaware that breakfast came with the cost of the room, or rooms, plural, considering their situation.

When Nelson heard the cost of two rooms at the front desk she couldn't stand it any longer and inserted herself into the conversation.

"We don't need a separate room, Kane. I mean, we did just fine at your house so I'm sure we can figure out how to do this without spending another $200."

"Are you sure?" he asked. "I'm more than willing to get another room."

"No. I...I trust you," she told him, that look in her eyes he hadn't seen for some time.

"If you're really sure."

"I am. I'm positive."

"Okay. Let's get the kids upstairs," he said after paying for the room. What he didn't tell her is he asked the clerk for a suite while Nelson went to sit with the children who were still sound asleep in the SUV which they could clearly see from the lobby.

Kane carried one child in each arm while Nelson led Cocoa Puff upstairs while Fluffy fit quite nicely into her purse. She actually laughed when she saw the little cat's head sticking up and looking around as they walked.

"Wow. This room is really large," Nelson said when they opened the door.

"They're bringing up a rollaway bed for me, so you don't have to worry about that," he said very quietly as he laid Joey down on one of the beds. Nelson pulled the comforter and sheet down just before he did so.

"I wasn't worried," Nelson said sweetly.

"Do you want me to put Cassie with Joey or in your bed?" he asked.

"Oh, she can sleep with her brother. It's a queen bed and there's plenty of room."

Kane gently laid Cassie down, too, then worked on getting their shoes off before suggesting Nelson do the rest.

"That's it. Just pull the covers up and they're done," she said.

"Works for me," Kane told her.

With the kids in bed asleep, Nelson used the bathroom first, and while she was in there, the rollaway was delivered.

"That looks very uncomfortable," Nelson said when she walked out brushing her teeth.

"I've slept on worse," Kane told her. "A lot worse."

"Still, that looks awful. Are you sure you can stand it?" she asked before continuing to brush.

"Hey, are you implying I'm old?" he said with feigned indignation.

Nelson wanted to laugh but couldn't. She held up a hand, went into the bathroom, and finished brushing.

"No, I'm not saying you're old," she told him once she could talk without a mouthful of toothpaste.

"But that's what you're thinking, isn't it?" he teased.

"I am not!" she said as though they were arguing. "I wouldn't say that because, at 31, I feel old."

Kane chuckled then said, "Wow. Thirty-one. You are old!"

"Hey, you shut up!" Nelson said pretending to be hurt.

Kane threw up his hands in surrender then said, "Not another word."

Nelson stood there staring at him then started laughing.

"Um...why are you laughing?" he asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Because...you're a goof. A big, lovable goof," she replied.

Nelson was laughing until she realized she'd used a word that didn't sound right.

"I...I didn't mean it like that," she said apologetically.

"Wait. Now you're implying I'm not lovable. I think I'm...hurt," Kane said as he dramatically placed his hand on his heart as though it was broken.

Nelson tried not to laugh but his antics were too much for her.

"You goof!" she said again.

"Say 'lovable goof' and all will be forgiven," he told her as seriously as he could.

She stood there for a few seconds just looking at him then said, "You come off all tough and everything because you're a Marine, but I can tell it's just an act."

She paused then said, "You're actually a very caring, and okay...lovable...man. But also very goofy. In a good sort of way."

Kane was looking into her eyes as she spoke, and when she said 'lovable' again, she broke eye contact which told him there was more meaning to that word than she was letting on.

He already knew he found her very attractive, and after spending time with her, found her to be the kind of woman he'd like to meet one day and get to know. Up until right then, he'd been convinced she only saw him as the nicer, much-older man she'd never look at 'like that'. But after that, he couldn't help but wonder if there was a remote possibility she could see him as something more.

The feeling didn't last long as Nelson said, "Well, I'm exhausted. The bathroom's all yours, and I'm gonna go lay down."

"Oh. Sure. Yeah, I'll go wash up and brush my teeth, too, then hit the rack...sorry...go to bed myself."

"Hit the rack?" she asked with a smile.

"It's what I've said all of my adult life," he told her with a shrug of his shoulders.

"You need someone to help you with more than just decorating your...cave," she said authoritatively but with a smile before saying 'goodnight'.

Kane kept the rollaway over by the little kitchenette area where the hum of the mini-refrigerator droned away as he lay there trying to make sense of how he was feeling. He was tired but not exhausted and yet unable to go to sleep. He tried to lay still on his back but kept tossing and turning, hoping he wasn't keeping Nelson awake when she spoke.

"Kane? Are you awake?" she whispered.

"Uh-huh," he whispered back.

"Do you feel like talking?"

"Yeah. Sure. That sounds nice," he heard himself say. The man who avoided talking and chit-chat at all costs whenever possible had just willingly agreed to talk.

"You can move over here if you'd like," she said just as quietly.

"That would make it easier, wouldn't it?" he replied as he stood up.

He quietly slid the rollaway toward her and stopped about three feet away.

"I don't bite," she said sweetly. "I mean, you can move closer if you want to."

"Oh. Um...okay," he said before moving it about halfway to her bed. "Is this okay?"

"Yes. That's perfect."

Kane laid back down so that he was face to face with her, and when he did, Nelson smiled.

"Tell me about yourself, okay?" she said. "Anything you like."

"Oh, wow. I almost never talk about myself," he replied.

"Humor me?" she said with a smile he could just make out in the darkness of the room.

"Okay, well, I was born and raised in Beaumont. My dad ran out on us when I was a kid. I joined the Marine Corps when I was 18 and just retired the 1st of July this year."

Nelson gave him a funny look then said, "Okay. Thanks. Goodnight."

She waited for a second then laughed quietly.

"No. Really tell me about yourself. What do you like? What are your dreams? Has there ever been anyone special in your life? Do you ever picture yourself settling down and maybe having a family? Stuff like that."

Kane exhaled then rolled over on his back and looked at the ceiling knowing it would be easier if he didn't have to look at her. She was already a distraction, and sharing his feelings—something he just didn't do—was going to be difficult enough.

He started over and explained the way he felt when his father abandoned him. He told her how he and his mom depended on each other for everything after that and that she'd been the only woman he'd ever truly loved. He also answered each question she asked about anything he said, and found himself amazed at how comfortable he felt saying things he'd never told another human being before.

After nearly an hour of talking, he turned back to face her and when he did Nelson smiled.

"So do you think you'll ever get married?" she asked.

"I...I hope so," he told her. His mouth felt dry and his heart was pounding in his chest as she smiled at him again.

"How about you? Do you want to remarry someday?" he asked.

"I told myself I'd never be able to love anyone else after Nate died, but now I think I'd like that."

"Have you met anyone special?" Kane asked.

"I think so," she said very quietly and very sweetly.

"Oh," he said trying not to let the disappointment show through. "Lucky guy."

"Do you really think a man would be lucky to take on two children? Not that I'm any big catch, but wouldn't most men run from a ready-made family?" she asked as she stared into his eyes.

"Some might," he said.

He looked back at her then told her, "I know I wouldn't. Well, not if the kids were as great as yours anyway."

Nelson hesitated then said, "I hope this comes out the way I mean it, but wouldn't most women, you know, closer to your age, have grown children or older teenagers?"

"I don't know. I haven't met anyone my age I find interesting, let alone one with children."

He paused then said, "But I have met someone who has children I find myself thinking about quite often."

Nelson's heart began beating faster, too, as she took in his words.

"I don't care how old someone is if they're kind and thoughtful and caring," she replied.

Kane smiled then said, "So if Wilbur was single, you'd..."

Nelson made another spurting sound as she tried to stifle a laugh.

"You goofball!" she said as she snorted and sputtered, her hand over her mouth.

"So age does matter," Kane continued.

"Okay. Yes. I'll admit age matters. But only to a point," Nelson replied once she got control of herself.

"Do you have a general idea where that point ends?" he asked, his mouth now so dry he could barely speak.

"Not in terms of an exact age," she said very sweetly.

"So...would say...40 be too old?" he asked.

"That would depend on the guy."

"I see. How about 45?"

"Yeah. Pretty much the same thing."

"And what if he was say...48? Would that be too old?"

Nelson smiled then said, "Again, it would all depend on the specific guy we're talking about."

"But an age like, oh, say...48...wouldn't automatically disqualify him, right?"

"Not necessarily," she said rather coyly. "Why? Do you have a friend who's maybe, oh, say...48?"

"Oh, well. I kind of know a guy who knows a guy who..."

Nelson reached over and gently touched his face then said, "I wouldn't care if the right man was 48. At all."

Kane then reached up and took her hand and feeling confident, pressed it to his lips.

"Is 31, you know, just for example, too young for you?" she asked, her heart pounding furiously.

"No. Not at all," he said quietly.

"Would you maybe like to move a little closer?" she asked after several seconds of silence.