Great and Terrible Things

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You know, you are truly an amazing woman." Abigail looked away from her son and at me. I guess she thought her actions or the little piece of her story she's let slip would make me see her differently, and I guess it did somewhat, but not in a bad way. All of it only made me respect her more. "And one of these days, you're going to have to tell me where you hide that knife."

"Mr. Mosey, I don't know you nearly well enough for that." She didn't quite smile, but I saw her eyes light in humor.

"Only time will tell," I shrugged, before turning my attention to her son. It was safer, a lot safer. "How are you doing Billy?"

"I'm okay," the boy said, but he was obviously holding back tears. "It was scary when Miles and Thomas were fighting. Miles was winning until the other guy with the two pistols used one to hit Miles over the head from behind. I tried to help. Honest! But the big one wouldn't let me go!"

"Of course, you did," I said with a smile as I moved closer and messed the boy's hair, trying to ease him past the shock and guilt of what happened. "You were very brave."

"Billy, do me a favor and keep that part of the story to yourself," Miles sighed as he fought to sit up. He almost didn't make it until Clementine helped. "My pa is going to fighting mad when he hears about this and I don't want my family in a feud with the Murphys."

"Going to be hard to stop," William put in with a frown, obviously thinking hard before he nodded to himself. "If it does happen, make sure your pa knows me and my ranch hands will back him."

"Mr. Holbrook, I appreciate the offer, but are you sure? Murphy's got more men than both of our ranches combined."

"I'm sure. You came to my granddaughter's defense. Doing the same for you and yours in the least I can do." William hadn't hesitated in his reply. "But here's hoping it don't come to that. Michael Murphy isn't my favorite person in the world, but he's a good businessman, and everyone knows that feuds are bad for business."

"Yes sir," Miles said, trying to stand. He seemed more than a little embarrassed when he couldn't do so, even with Clementine's help.

"Take it easy son," I frowned. "We really should get those ribs rapped before you do more damage than good trying to stand. We can't have you puncturing a lung. Does this town have a doctor?"

"Yep, and not a bad one either, if a might young," William said, moving toward Miles. "Let's get those ribs wrapped and the boy settled in a room, and then I'll go track the doctor down."

"I can go get him," Clementine offered, obviously worried about Miles.

"No, I'll go," Abigail said a little too quickly. I knew that she had the same fear I did. Neither of us trusted that Alby character and for good reason.

"Not going to happen. You help your uncle and Clementine with Miles and I'll get the doctor." She looked ready to argue, so I added more softly, "Billy needs you. Besides I'm the one with the Peacemaker, just in case." Abigail nodded, unable to argue with my logic, but she didn't seem happy about it.

"William, I don't suppose you have my Winchester with you?" I asked, pretty sure I knew the answer already. Frankly, I was surprise he had the Spenser on him.

A town wasn't the place for carrying rifles and guns. In fact, many towns outlawed it outright, but not Twisted River, at least not yet. I'd asked William about it on the way over. That's why I'd kept the Peacemaker with me. I figured if it wasn't outlawed then there might be a reason to carry one. Good thing too.

"No, it's with the rest of your gear at Hattie's," he replied, scratching his white-haired head and frowning. "The only reason why I have my Spenser with me is because some hooligans galloped through the edge on town on my way to her place making a ruckus. This used to be a quiet town, but ever since the old marshal got married and left town it's been getting rough. Well, that and the arrival of certain troublemakers." I nodded in understanding.

"I'll be back shortly with the doctor." I was halfway to the door when Abigail caught up to me. William was holding Billy now.

"Josiah, be careful," she said, touching my shoulder in a way that sent shivered through me. It was the first time she'd used my given name. I liked the way it sounded when she said it. Who was I kidding? I loved it. It also scared the hell out of me.

"I always am Mrs. Collier, I always am, but what happened to being safe?" She frowned at the reminder of what she'd said about using my first name while we were walking to the hotel and dropped her hand from my shoulder, but then she smiled and shrugged.

"You might as well call me Abigail after what we've just been through together." I looked at her and shook my head. She'd clearly come to a decision about us despite my earlier warnings about me not being the settling down type.

That made my heart beat a whole lot more erratically than it had a few moments earlier. I knew what it meant, but it didn't mean I had to act on what I was feeling. Abigail deserved better than a wandering soldier.

"Been through together? I just stood there pointing a gun. You did all the real work. Besides, I'm pretty sure calling you by your first name is far more dangerous for a man like me than facing down the Murphys." I was afraid she'd be offended or hurt. Instead, Abigail laughed.

I tipped my hat and left before I could say anything more. It wasn't nearly as simply as it sounded.

The doctor was tougher to track down than I expected, but at least I didn't see hide nor hair of any of the Murphy boys while I looked. That was something. Eventually, I found and led a doctor who seemed more like someone's kid brother than a practicing physician back to the hotel. I watched him while he worked on Miles.

Doc Jenson might have been young, but he was clearly competent. I'd seen enough doctors at work after a battle was over to get a sense.

"He should be fine with some rest, but don't move him from this room for at least a week. The boy's taken quite a beating."

"Thank you, doctor," Clementine said, sounding far more controlled than usual. I understood, but found myself missing the old, more innocent version of her. "Grandfather has already send someone out to the Phillips' farm to let them know what happened."

I walked the doctor out of the room and made to pay him, but William was outside waiting and refused to allow it. He finished walking the doctor out of the hotel and I'm sure, settled the bill.

"So, are you going to make an offer for Domino or not?"

The question came from out of the blue and made me laugh. We were on the second floor of the hotel. You could look down at the first either over or through the wooden railing that was really just an extension of the banister. Abigail had been doing the former before turning and asking her question while Billy had his face pressed against the railing doing the latter. It was a sign of how tired I was that I didn't notice either of them until she spoke.

I hadn't slept much the night before. I guess between that, the long ride into town and the confrontation with the Murphys, it made sense. It didn't help that I was hungry too.

"Why don't we discuss it over lunch?"

"It's long past lunchtime." Her words were delivered in an offhand manner, but the look that followed was anything but.

Abigail was smiling at me in a way that let me know she hadn't changed her mind about her earlier decision about us. She wasn't some infatuated teenager. Abigail was all woman, and a beautiful one at that. She knew her mind and wasn't shy about showing it.

Suddenly, I was wide awake once more. I found myself swallowing with some difficulty. It was impossible not to react to the way she was looking at me. Abigail's deep blue eyes lit with amused enjoyment as she saw what she was doing to me.

I called her a dangerous woman earlier and it was certainly true in more than one way. I hadn't forgotten, but in that moment, I simply didn't care. I took a step toward Abigail and the amusement in her expression began morphed into something different, something warm and welcoming.

"Momma, I'm hungry."

I froze in surprise. How could I have forgotten Billy? Only, I don't think I so much forgot the boy as much as allowed the promise in his mother's eyes to overwhelm my common sense. I was pretty sure that the embarrassment in Abigail gaze meant she done something similar, and suddenly we were both laughing. Billy clearly didn't understand. I didn't blame him.

"Let's go down to the café and get an early dinner," I said, shifting away from the strawberry blond and holding my hand out to the boy. It was a lot safer that way. Billy took my hand and smiled as I added, "Maybe we can convince your grandpappy to join us." Abigail took his other hand and we moved to the stairwell.

"We'll need to bring something back to the room for Miles and Clementine. He can't be moved and she won't leave his side." I nodded in agreement and let go of Billy's hand when we reached the stairwell. It was too narrow for the three of us to use together, but that was only part of the reason. I stepped in front of them and went down the stairs first, my hand resting very near my gun belt.

I was on edge and knew it. Some instinct told me to be careful and I wasn't about to ignore it. Hell, I'd survived all my years because I always listened to my instincts. They seldom led me wrong and right now they were screaming. Alby had promised what happened wasn't the end of it and I believed him.

On the other hand, I wasn't going to worry myself into a stupor either. If the young man tried something, I'd be ready. He was younger and probably faster, but I was more dangerous and experienced. I'd dealt with his type before. I doubt very much that he had mine. The proof being he was still standing.

William did join us for dinner. The meal was good and the conversation almost normal. Still, I wasn't the only one keeping an eye on the main entrance to the hotel.

"Billy and I will take dinner up to Miles and Clementine," Abigail said when we were done eating. "Thanks for the meal."

"My pleasure," I smiled and then turned to her son. "See you later Billy." The boy nodded, but I doubt I'd see him again tonight. He looked half asleep already. I shifted my gaze back to his mother and added respectfully, "Mrs. Collier."

"Abigail," she corrected, making me smile. Not that I was going to call her that. I's already proven on the balcony overlooking the lobby that I couldn't be trusted with her. The two went back upstairs, leaving William and I alone at the table.

"You know, you don't seem the type to be happy in a place like Ohio," William said into the silence that followed. "You could come back and settle down after you visit your sister. There still plenty of land to homestead nearby, and I wouldn't mind having you as a neighbor." He paused, but I had no idea what to say to his offer.

The reason why I actually considered his idea was beyond me. Oh, I knew it was because of Abigail, but I wasn't the right man for her and I knew it. William nodded as if my lack of reaction was answer enough. "And who knows? My Abigail could do worse than a former soldier."

"I really don't understand why you'd think that after only knowing me for a day." Maybe I was being too blunt, but the man had left me little option. William paused briefly and scratched his fingers through his thatch of white hair before answering.

"I guess maybe you're right. I know I'm pushing I might hard." He only sounded mildly apologetic. "If you don't find her attractive..."

"Abigail is beautiful," I interjected in annoyance. The old man smiled. I knew full well he was playing me, but I couldn't help coming to her defense. "But that's not really the point."

"Maybe, maybe not," he shrugged. "Still, you'd be amazed at how many men don't see it. They can't get past her scarred face or choice to wear men's clothes."

"I've got my own scars." I remembered the first time I saw Abigail. Her marred face was a surprise, but didn't affect me nearly as much as her deep blue eyes.

My mind drifted to a more recent memory. It was Abigail standing next to the railing upstairs smiling at me as she asked if I was going to buy Domino. Her scarred cheek didn't even enter my thoughts. How could it with the way she was looking at me?

I'd stepped toward her, ready to do what we both wanted. There'd been warmth and welcome in her expression, but also anticipation. I could still picture Abigail as her breathing sped up, making her chest heave slightly. The swell of her breasts shaped the men's plaid shirt she wore into something far too enticing. If not for Billy's interruption...

"And men's clothes or not, your niece will never look manly." I came out of my daydream somewhat embarrassed by what I'd said so I quickly added, "Besides, clothes don't make a man or woman. I've seen officers in immaculate uniforms who ended up being monsters and savages in buckskins or less who were some of the most noble men I've ever met."

"Exactly," William said meaningfully. We fell silent with the old man watching me and waiting.

"Do you really think that the fact that I find your niece attractive is a good enough reason for me to settle down here?" I eventually blurted out.

"It's a start," he replied with a shrug, but then sighed and shook his head. "But there's more to it than that and you know it." He waited for me to react again, but I refused this time. We sat in silence for a bit before he continued.

"It's no secret that Abigail's life hasn't been an easy one," William said slowly. "It's not my place to tell you the details, but you're not a stupid man. You know she's faced too much. You also know she survived it."

"More than survived," I said, half to myself. "She came out the other end stronger." That caused the old man to give me a calculated look before continuing.

"Most people don't see that. All they see is a woman scarred and not quite normal, maybe even dangerous."

"Definitely dangerous," I corrected. "But that's not always a bad thing." I'd seen the fear in Abigail's eyes when we walked into the hotel and took in what was happening. I also saw how it morphed into something far more useful. She'd knocked Thomas Murphy away from Miles, faced down the giant Jeremy and dealt with Luther. "Your niece was the only reason why this afternoon didn't end up with a whole lot of people getting hurt or worse."

"Not the only reason, but certainly one of them." William was obviously remembering the danger to his family based on his expression and the fact that he tensed up some. He shook his head, clearing it before continuing. "Her dangerous side doesn't scare you."

"No, it doesn't," I admitted, remembering my ex-wife again. Her rich family had spent the money necessary to make the divorce happen, not that I fought it. "Frankly, I find it refreshing. The territories are no place for damsels in distress."

"True," the old man agreed easily. I wasn't obvious to the fact that he was watching me again. It made me damned uncomfortable, but worse than that, it made me think about my feelings for Abigail.

"Of course, none of that would matter if not for one thing," he said, standing and readying to leave me to my thoughts. I looked up at him and waited. "Abigail's been living here since just before Billy's birth and you're the first man she's shown interest in. The boy likes you too."

"He's a good kid." It was the safest answer I could give. William smirked knowingly, but then let it go.

"I'm going to stop by Hattie's and let her know we're spending the night at the hotel. She should be fine with us leaving our gear there, but I'll make sure," he said, changing the subject. "I'll also pick up the Henry and your Winchester." He didn't mention Alby and the possibility of him returning with some friends. There was no need. William left and I paid the bill.

Robert Washington and his wife were just entering the café while I was leaving. I guess they decided on a night out to celebrate his homecoming. I didn't salute again, but I did nod in greeting. Robert stopped for a moment and let his wife move ahead.

"I heard you had some trouble with the Murphys earlier." It wasn't really a question, but I answered it anyway.

"The youngest son and cousin. Thomas beat on Miles pretty badly after Alby pistol whipped him. Some of their friends held Clementine and Billy while it happened." I shook my head at the memory. "It was pretty ugly there for a while. Alby held everyone else back at gun point while it was happening and had the look of a man hoping someone would try something."

"Oh, he was," Robert said confidently. "Alby Murphy's is a cold-blooded killer. He's one of those ones who likes it too."

"Yeah, I've seen the type before." The former cavalry man and I exchanged a look, but didn't need to say anything more on the subject.

"Rumor has it that his father sent him out here to live with his uncle and cousins because of some trouble back home. I hear the man got tired of cleaning up after the boy and dumped him and the worst of his friends on his younger brother Michael because it started affecting his business."

"Wouldn't surprise me." Robert hadn't stopped just to say hi. He wanted me to know just how dangerous Alby Murphy was. I'd pretty much figured it out already, but the thought was appreciated.

"Alby supposed faced down two men and killed them both in the middle of the street. They say both were dead before they even drew their guns," the Ebony skinned man added. "I don't know if it's true, but I've seen him draw. He's fast. Fastest I've ever seen." I nodded in understanding.

"It's a shame about Thomas." The subject change was abrupt, but understandable. Robert wasn't one to harp on an issue. He'd given his warning. "He used to be the best out of the bunch, but ever since his cousin showed up it's been a completely different story."

"So, I've heard." It was probably a case of hero worship gone wrong. If the boy didn't mend his ways soon, he'd be a lost cause. Probably get himself killed too. That was sad, but not my problem. "Well, enjoy your dinner, and thanks for the warning. You be careful too, because that boy ain't right in the head. He's as likely..."

"Yeah, I know," Robert interjected, pulling a sawed off, double barreled shotgun out from under his coat. "That's why I'm carrying this. Probably a waste of time, but it pays to be prepared."

"Yes, it does," I smiled, shaking the man's hand once more and moving to the hotel lobby. I ordered a drink at the small bar and found a place to sit, lost in thought until Abigail came down and joined me. She settled into the chair on the other side of the small end table where I'd put my half-filled glass earlier.

"Billy passed out in the room with Miles and Clementine. I left him there. Figured it was safer to have the three of them all in one place." I nodded in agreement as she lifted my glass from its resting place and took a drink. I watched the way her lips pressed against the rim. She saw and smirked. Abigail obviously liked the way she got to me.

"Your uncle went to talk to Hattie and make sure leaving the wagon and our gear overnight is okay. He also promised to pick up my Centennial. That will make me feel a lot better."

"The Henry too?" she asked, and smiled in relief when I nodded. It reminded me how comfortable she looked with the rifle. I'd originally thought it was William's, but now I wasn't so sure. He was attached to his Spenser. The Henry could be Abigail's. She was definitely the type to own one.

I took the glass from Abigail's hand, took a sip and handed it back. I noticed her watching me while I drank, but didn't comment. Still, it was nice to see the attraction was mutual.

"Now, exactly how much are you asking for Domino?" I needed a distraction.

1...56789...17