He'll Wait For You

Story Info
She returns home to run her father's company.
17.6k words
4.77
107.9k
154
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Tony155
Tony155
1,225 Followers

Chapter 1

A late autumn snow was falling lightly, but it seemed heavier as the large 737 whistled through the bleak November sky. Laura gazed out her window as tears blotted her vision. She dabbed her eyes with the small white handkerchief that had been clenched in her hand since the flight began. She hoped she would be in time, but she feared the worst.

"You better get here fast," her brother implored her. "They don't know how long he'll last."

That dreadful call from her brother, Jim, woke her at three o'clock and she was on a plane to Cincinnati by five-thirty. One thing she was grateful about O'Hare was that they had flights everywhere at any time.

She called her brother right before she boarded and he said their father was still alive. But for how long? The doctors had warned them after his last heart attack that the next one would probably kill him. And they were right, up to a point. What they didn't know was that Paul Ballard wasn't going to let go of his earthly life until he saw his daughter one last time.

Thankfully the flight from Chicago was short, but it seemed like an eternity to Laura. Thousands of thoughts tumbled through her mind, mostly memories of her dad and their life together. Ever since she lost her mother three years earlier, Laura tried to visit as often as possible, but each visit never seemed to be long enough. Now, she regretted not being as close to him as possible. Maybe it wouldn't have happened if she were there. Laura sighed and put her head down.

She always knew how disappointed he had been when she decided not to join his company after she graduated from Northwestern University. Now, she was returning to see him for perhaps the last time. Was it worth it? Was it worth being a success without his help? This, she didn't know dabbing her eyes once again as she saw the Ohio River and the Cincinnati skyline below.

Laura continued to stare out the window as the plane began its descent towards the Greater Cincinnati Airport.

As soon as it was allowed, Laura hurried off the plane to the terminal where she found her luggage. As soon as she retrieved her two pieces, she was frantically dialing her brother.

"How is he?" she asked before he could speak.

"He's holding on. Where are you?"

"I'm at the airport. I landed just a few minutes ago. I'll grab a cab and I'll be there as soon as I can."

"Hang on, please," she said to herself, as a tear managed to escape rolling down her cheek.

"He'll wait for you, Laura," Jim said gently. "You know he will."

Laura's bottom lip trembled at the thought as she tried to remain composed. "I know," she said quietly.

The cab moved freely in and out of traffic as Laura sank into its cushions. The icy banks of the majestic Ohio greeted her as she looked out the window. She shivered at the sight. She hated cold weather and at times couldn't believe she settled in Chicago after living in Ohio for twenty-two years. A friendlier, sunnier southern climate would have suited her much better. The snow had stopped by then and they would be at the hospital soon....

"Hey mom, where's dad? I need to ask him something." Laura dumped her school books into a chair and went to the kitchen where her mother was.

"He's in the basement watching TV. Don't bother him. He's had a tough day and I think he's trying to take a nap."

Laura ignored her mother's request as she always did when she wanted to talk to her dad, and quietly went down the carpeted basement stairs.He always seemed to have time for her no matter how tired he was. She saw him asleep in his chair, but he looked different.

"Daddy?" His skin was an odd bluish-gray color.

"Daddy?" She shook him and received no response. It was then she noticed he wasn't breathing. "Daddy!!!" she screamed.

She ran to the stairs, screaming, "Mom call 911! Call 911....Call 911...."

Horns honking jolted Laura from her thoughts. They always said she saved his life that day by finding him when she did and then starting CPR. Her training when she was on the swim team came in handy that day. She wouldn't be able to save him from this one, though, she thought sadly. She could save him no more than how they saved her mother from cancer.

The cab stopped at the hospital entrance. Laura looked up at the grey brick walls and became even more depressed. What a terrible place to die, she thought. The driver helped her with her two bags. Laura paid him and tipped him for getting her there swiftly and safely. The two bags didn't weigh much and weren't bulky, so she had little difficulty walking with them in spite of her small build.

Walking through the doors, she looked left and right before seeing the information desk. The lobby looked almost as dreary as the outside, having little color other than a few pastels sprinkled here and there. It could have passed for a prison reception area, she thought ruefully. She went directly to the reception desk where an older woman sat.

"May I help you, young lady?" she asked pleasantly.

"Paul Ballard, please," Laura answered. She didn't know if he would be in the emergency room, intensive care, or where.

The woman checked her computer screen for a few seconds. "He's in room 4110 of the intensive care unit," the woman said. She wrote the number on a card for her. "Take the elevator to the fourth floor and turn left." She smiled at Laura who did not return it.

"Thank you, ma'am." Laura took the card and went to the elevator.

When the doors opened, Laura stepped in and pressed the button for the fourth floor. While riding, her thoughts went back to when her father had his second heart attack five years before. He wasn't expected to pull through that one, either. She could only hope the doctors were wrong this time, too, but in the back of her mind, she understood how remote that would be.

The elevator doors opened and Laura turned left and made her way towards her father's room.

When she entered the room, Jim and her other brother, Andy, were at the foot of the bed talking quietly. They saw their sister and moved to greet her. She dropped her bags and threw her arms around both of them and hugged them. It had been almost three months since she had been in town and she missed them terribly. She had tried to visit during Thanksgiving, but her job made it impossible. However, she had been planning to come to town for Christmas. She refused to miss that. They had always been a close family and that was another reason why her decision to stay in the Chicago area after graduation was painfully difficult.

"How is he?" she whispered.

"He's sleeping," Andy answered. "He drifts in and out, but he knows what's going on."

"What do the doctors say?" Her eyes were brimming with tears.

Both of her brothers looked down.

Jim said, "He may last until tomorrow, but they don't think so."

"Shit."

"Yeah." Andy looked at her, but said nothing more.

"Dad's been asking for you," Jim said.

"He has?"

Laura moved around them and went to the foot of her father's bed. He was sleeping, his breathing slow, labored, and shallow. She hardly recognized the man in the bed as her father, a veritable shell of the man she and her brothers loved. His eyes fluttered and soon his pale blue eyes could be seen under his heavy lids. Laura lovingly rushed to his side and took his hand.

Her father moved his head to the left and looked at her. "Laura?"

"Yes, dad, I'm here."

"It's about time!" he wheezed and managed a weak smile.

"You always have to pick on me, don't you?" Laura tried to smile back.

"I'm so tired." Her father fought to catch his breath.

"You go ahead and rest." She patted his hand.

"No. I have to tell you something."

"It can wait, dad. You need your rest."

"If I rest," he wheezed, "I may not wake up again. I have something to tell you." He sensed he didn't have much time.

"Okay dad," she said, choking on her words.

"I want you to take over the company."

"Dad?" Laura was shocked by his request. She never expected him to say that.

"I need you...I need you to run the company."

"But dad..."

"Please, don't argue with me." His voice was noticeably weaker as he shook his head from side to side. "Promise me you'll do this. Please, do this for me." Paul coughed frailly.

Laura knew what he was asking of her. It meant she would have to quit her job, pull up stakes and move back to Cincinnati. Laura looked down and away in deep thought. Could she do that? Could she push away all the hard work and all of the accomplishments she had achieved on her own?

Even in his semi-fog, he could sense her reluctance. He would have asked Jim or Andy to do it, but neither had the business mind of Laura. He wanted to keep the company within his family, though, and it was his last wish to see it happen. Paul had decided that he was going to retire within the next year or so and he already had the paperwork made out to transfer the presidency to his daughter. That is, if she would have accepted his offer at that time. He had been thinking about talking to her about it during the Christmas holidays, but that wasn't going to be necessary now.

Laura looked back at her father. She had refused his help six years before and she knew she couldn't refuse him again. Not this time. She patted his hand once more. She looked into his eyes and smiled as best she could. She loved him so much.

"Okay, dad," she said softly. "I'll do it."

"All of the paperwork is in my desk and Canon has copies," he said after she hugged him. He sighed and closed his eyes for a second. When he opened them again, Laura was staring at him intently. "I'm tired," he said.

"Dad?" she asked, fear showing in her eyes.

"Don't worry," he said, smiling slightly. "I'm not ready to go yet. I just need a nap." He patted her hand, then settled into his pillow. Soon, he was dozing lightly and his hand went limp in hers.

Laura walked slowly out to the hall where her brothers stood, both with their heads down and hands in their pockets.

"He's sleeping," she said, reassuringly.

They nodded and remained silent.

"He wants me to take over the company," she blurted out.

Jim and Andy looked at her. Andy moved forward and hugged her.

"You'll do a great job," he said. Jim nodded in agreement.

"It's something he's always wanted for you."

"Youare doing it, aren't you?" Andy asked. She hadn't said if she was going to do it or not.

Laura nodded as tears started to fall. "I couldn't say no."

Chapter 2

Greg Hannaford arrived at Ballard Corp. promptly at seven that morning, which was his custom. The rest of the sales department wasn't expected to be there until eight. He sat at his desk and went through the reports he would need in order to begin the morning meeting scheduled for eight-fifteen.

His phone rang promptly at seven-thirty, the time his secretary usually arrived.

"Mr. Hannaford."

"Yes, Rebecca."

"I received a call from Jim Ballard. Paul is at Mercy Medical Center. Jim says he is in very bad condition and he wants you to call him."

"What's wrong?" he asked, although he thought he already knew.

"It's his heart."

Greg groaned inside. "Thank you, Rebecca. I'll call him." He remembered the last time Mr. Ballard had an attack. It made things very tense at the company for several weeks until he got better.

Greg went to his Rolodex and found Jim's cell number. He dialed it and waited as it rang once, twice, before it was answered.

A young female voice answered. "Hello?"

Greg looked at his phone. He thought he dialed the number correctly, but now he wasn't sure. "I was calling Jim Ballard. This is Greg Hannaford from the Ballard Corp."

"Hello, Greg," she replied softly. "This is Laura Ballard. Jim's with dad right now."

Greg had talked to Laura numerous times at company functions. They had graduated from the same high school, but ran in different circles. He remembered her always being very nice to him, but he never got up the nerve to ask her out whenever she was in town.

"How is he?" Greg asked tentatively.

There was a hesitation on her end. "The doctors don't expect him to see tomorrow." She held her handkerchief to her nose and sniffled.

Greg sighed and his head dropped. He didn't know what to say to convey what he was feeling. The news hit him hard. Greg's own father died when he was young and he looked to Paul as a mentor, a father-figure.

"I'm really sorry to hear that," he managed to say.

"Thank you," Laura replied softly.

"Is it okay if I come down to see him?" he asked. One last time, he thought to himself.

"That would be fine. I think he'd like that." Laura glanced towards the room, wanting to end the conversation and get back to her father.

Greg knew that the day to day operation of the company would fall to him for the time being. He prayed that Paul's condition was only temporary, but things seemed very bleak. It wasn't something he looked forward to, especially not this way.

"Is there anything I can do?"

Laura sighed heavily. How could she tell him she was his boss now? It certainly wasn't the right time for that.

"I think you should just go about the business in a normal fashion. Dad's told me many times how you've done an excellent job for him." Laura sighed again.

There were many times when she called her father or visited where he wanted to discuss his company with her. He talked about it even more in the past year. Despite her reluctance to listen, she did so out of respect and love for him. From their discussions, she felt she knew a great deal about Ballard Corp., and its personnel.

"I'll do that," he replied. "I'll let you go," he added quickly. "I don't want to tie up the line for you anymore. I'll be down in a little while to see him."

"Okay," she said. "Thanks for calling."

"You're welcome. Good-bye, Laura."

"Good-bye, Greg."

Greg put down the receiver and thought for a few minutes. He didn't want to believe that Paul was going to die. Greg bowed his head. He was truly saddened by the news and wasn't sure what to do next. He hadn't really thought about what might happen to the company should Paul die. Greg figured he would be put in charge until someone would be named to take Paul's place. It never occurred to him that he might be named president.

Chapter 3

Laura went back into the room and visited her father again. He was still sleeping so the siblings talked quietly before coming out of the room. Laura and her brothers walked arm in arm to the lounge, where they sat and talked amongst themselves for almost an hour. They didn't notice the man from the elevator as he walked towards them. He was wearing a grey top coat that partially hid his blue suit and red tie.

Greg recognized them at once although he hadn't seen them for a few years. His eyes, however, were fixed on Laura, whom he thought looked prettier than ever. She always had those large, stunning green eyes that were almost the color of a cat's. Her auburn hair complimented her eyes nicely and her soft curls dangled near her shoulders. Even though she was dressed down in jeans and a yellow blouse, Greg thought she still looked wonderful after all these years and his heart skipped a beat or two. But, he kept his thoughts in check as he neared. All three looked up when they noticed his presence.

"I'm sorry to interrupt," he said to them, although his focus was on Laura. "I'm Greg Hannaford."

Jim and Andy stood up quickly and extended their hand to him, which he took.

"It's good to see you again," Jim said

"You're the sales manager, right?" Andy asked

"Yes," Greg replied.

Andy turned to his sister, who was just now rising from the sofa. "You remember our sister, Laura."

Laura hadn't taken her eyes off the tall, dark haired man as she stood in front of him. Although he looked older, he was still the handsome man she remembered.

"Of course," Greg said. He extended his hand to her and she took it. It felt very soft and warm to him. "I spoke to you earlier."

"Yes, you did," Laura said, managing to let go of Greg's hand. "Dad's sleeping right now."

"Oh. How is he?" Greg asked.

"There's no change," she said. "Would you like to see him?"

"I don't want to bother him if he's sleeping."

"Come on," Laura said, her hand at his elbow. "I'll take you to his room." She looked up at him and smiled, trying in vain to veil her sadness. "He'll want to see you."

They walked slowly to Paul's room. Laura's hands were now clasped in front of her.

"It's very nice of you to come," she said as they neared the room. "It's really good to see you again."

"It's good to see you again, too. I just wish it was under different circumstances." He looked down. "I had to come," he explained. "I've known him almost longer than I knew my own father. I owe him a great deal." He fell silent and said nothing more.

"Here it is," Laura announced.

Greg glanced at her bags as they lay on the floor where she had left them upon her arrival. They moved to Paul's bed and Greg looked at him. He too, noticed how devastating an effect the attack had upon him. Paul looked nothing like the man Greg said good night to the previous afternoon.

Laura pulled him gently to her side as she moved around the bed.

"Dad," she said softly, "there's someone here to see you."

Paul opened his eyes slowly and stared unseeing in their direction.

"Who is it?" he asked.

"It's Greg Hannaford, dad."

Paul brightened a bit as Greg and Laura came into focus a little better.

"Greg, what a surprise," he said weakly.

Paul coughed hoarsely, its sound unnatural.

Greg winced.

Laura looked at both.

"You didn't need to come." His words were coming slowly.

"I wanted to see you."

"One last time, eh?" Paul chuckled cruelly.

"I hope not," Greg said quietly, sincerely. He looked away for a minute and wiped his eye.

"I want to tell you something," Paul said hoarsely, barely audible.

Laura moved out of the way as Greg leaned closer.

"Laura will be taking over the company for me. Help her."

Greg looked at Laura, then to Paul and nodded.

"She's a fast learner," Paul continued. "I'm counting on you to teach her well."

"I'll do anything you want, you know that," Greg said.

"Wait for her. Be patient."

Greg looked at him, then to Laura. He didn't understand. "Okay, I will."

Paul looked to his daughter and said, "He'll wait for you." He then looked at Greg.

Laura was mystified at what he was trying to say, but said nothing.

Paul sank into the pillow and sighed happily. Things were now set. He turned to Laura and motioned for her to come closer.

Greg moved to his left to allow her room.

"I dreamt I saw your mother. She looked so beautiful."

Laura looked at him in alarm and knew the time was close.

"You did?" she asked, barely able to speak.

"She wants me to come with her." Tears began to stream down Laura's face as she looked at Greg helplessly.

"I'll get Jim and Andy," Greg whispered. He knew it, too.

Laura nodded and Greg moved away from the bed and rushed to the lounge.

When the brothers saw him, they saw the alarm in his face.

"You better go," was all Greg said.

Without hesitation, they hurried past him and went to their father's room. Greg watched until he saw them disappear into the room. He sat down and sighed, staring off into space and seeing nothing. "Wait for her." Those words kept tumbling over and over in his mind but he still didn't understand their meaning. Laura would now be president and he was expected to guide her. For the first time, he thought about what would have happened if he were chosen. He was not disappointed in Paul's decision and he was more than happy to help Laura in any way. He truly didn't know if he wanted to be the president at this time. There was no doubt in his mind he could run the company. Perhaps if it had happened a year or two down the road, his thoughts would be different.

Tony155
Tony155
1,225 Followers