I Thought I Hated Him Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

My unsettled stomach calmed as the meeting stretched endlessly on. At this rate, Mrs. Kendall and her lawyer could keep the boys at Green and Worthington strung along for months before they expected her to make a decision. There must be a great deal of money involved for them not to rush her.

It took much too long for the meeting to conclude, but when it did I breathed a sigh of relief which was just a little too loud. Maddock was filing out the room behind me and laughed at my loud sigh.

"Don't worry, my dear," he said kindly as we made our way to the exit. "You'll get used to this sort of business as your career progresses. You've conducted yourself with nothing but the utmost professionalism and I do believe you're an asset to my firm." I nodded, cheered by the encouragement. Maddock was an alright sort of guy, and more than that, he wanted to make me a full-fledged architect in the firm. I smiled broadly at him.

"And that other thing, Ms. Kovacs, about what I said earlier," Maddock hinted, bringing back to my mind his promise of Daniel's promotion as well. "Please don't tell Sutcliffe just yet, I'd like it to be our little secret."

"More secrets Ms. Kovacs?" asked a smooth, cool voice from behind Maddock. I glanced over my boss's stooped shoulder to see Lawrence Mallory smiling cruelly. The bottom dropped out of my stomach. "Don't tell me you're sleeping with both your bosses? Utmost professionalism indeed."

Mr. Mallory sailed nonchalantly past, leaving a shocked Maddock in his wake. "You should have called me," he whispered. "Have a nice day."

I stood motionless, blushing fifty shades of red, too stunned to say anything, numb to everything except the look of old-fashioned horror on Maddock's grandfatherly face.

To be continued...

12