In My Life Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It was my fault this all happened. I talked Cathy into leaving early to go to the camp to make a nice meal for everyone. I never thought there would be any trouble today. I almost got everyone killed. Those men were discussing what they were going to do with Cathy and me, like we were a couple of cattle. If Tom and Emerson hadn't followed us in, I hate to think where we would be now." Maria was very contrite as she told her story.

Pat Casey spoke, "Maria, we aren't going to worry about that right now. We have too many things to do. As soon as we determine how things are at the camp we have to get back to the herd or those animals will wander all over the place. Just learn from these things."

Emerson was lost in a world between reality and dream, except the pain was becoming very real. He could hear people, but didn't know, or care, what was said. Billy rode close to him, keeping him in the saddle. He was hunched forward, his chin on his chest.

As they approached the camp, Pedro and Cathy stepped from cover, both carrying rifles. Cathy looked the group over. "I'd guess you all met up with the rest of that outlaw bunch and they didn't fare so well. Bob, are you hurt?"

"It's little more than a scratch. We shot the Hell out of that gang of tough men. Emerson is hurt bad though. How is Tom?" Bob showed relief as he saw his sister was unhurt.

"He is breathing regular and the bleeding has stopped, but he hasn't come to, yet. I think he will be all right in a couple of days. I sure hope so!" It was like Cathy to say what she felt.

As the riders entered the camp, Gustin and his men were still stretched out in death. Each man was able to see the fight in his mind as he looked at the scene.

"Every damn one of them brought their gun into play." It was Pat Casey. "I'd say they had their chance and came up short. Any man that would bother women deserves this. Boys, drag these bustards out of here and cover them with rocks."

Billy and Maria had helped Emerson down and laid him on a blanket by the fire. Billy seemed to have experience in wounds and took control.

"Pedro, get a bottle of whiskey out of the wagon. We have to pour some on this man's wounds, and then pour some in him. Maria, heat some water up. We have to clean these wounds."

Billy was amazingly gentle as he probed and cleaned Emerson's wounds. Emerson had lapsed into unconsciousness, but moaned when Billy poured the alcohol on them. Maria was at Billy's side, helping any way she could.

"I have to stitch up this cut. It looks like a knife wound." Billy said to Maria. "Do you know how he got it?"

"When all the riders were shooting it out with Gustin's crowd in those rocks, I found Emerson's horse and looked around for him. When I did find him he was struggling with an Indian. Emerson was already weak and the Indian was going to stab him, so I shot the Indian. He was so close he fell on Emerson when he died." Maria was thinking about the fear she felt and she had gladly killed a man to save another.

Billy looked at Maria. "You'll do Maria! Emerson owes you his life. That was good work."

"Billy, I disobeyed him and now he's lost blood and who knows what, because of me. Tom is badly hurt. I don't feel like I helped him any." Maria was near tears.

"I don't think you understand men very well, Maria. Tom and Emerson did what they had to do. They won't complain. Emerson would give his life to save yours and never think twice. They are going to be happy they saved two of the finest girls in New Mexico. What you and Cathy can do to repay them, is always be what you are now," Billy counseled.

Maria felt tears on her cheeks as she spoke, "Billy, thanks, but what if I'm not worth it? Emerson's life is more important than mine!"

Billy smiled as he responded, "Maria, don't you see? You are worth it! That answer proved it! Let's get this done and let him rest."

Maria spent that evening, and the entire night, sitting by Emerson, placing wet cloths on his forehead to relieve the fever that gripped him. Cathy was near by, maintaining a vigil over Tom. Occasionally, the two would exchange encouragements or smiles. Each knew how worried the other was.

In the small hours of the morning Emerson seemed on fire. Maria kept placing cool cloths on him and wiping his brow. It was then that he began to talk, and to Maria's surprise, in fluent Spanish. She found that answering in Spanish seemed to relax him, so she spent the rest of the night responding to Emerson's talk. Cathy heard them and was surprised as well. She could only imagine what Maria thought when she learned Emerson had mastered that language.

Maria knew Cathy could hear, but not understand, what she and Emerson were saying. She was grateful for that. Emerson was squeezing her hand and talking love. At first it embarrassed Maria, but she soon found herself responding to him. He would smile and sleep for short periods, them she would feel the pressure on her hand and he would start in again. Maria found herself looking forward to those moments.

She felt closer to Emerson than she ever had to any man, and could say things she normally would not. He was delirious and would never remember the things they said. Besides, it seemed to help relax him and she knew he would need rest if he were going to make it. So Maria talked of love to a man near death and learned from it. As she spoke, she began to understand her feelings toward this handsome man, who had both made her life Hell and saved it twice.

The sun was just beginning to show in the eastern sky when Cathy gasped loudly. "Tom is coming around! His eyes are open!"

Maria joined Cathy as Tom moaned and looked around. "I guess I must be dead and with the angels." A weak smile followed.

Cathy laughed, "You are with angels, but you're still alive, thank God!" and she bent down and kissed him. As she withdrew, Cathy told Tom, "You had a bullet bounce off that thick skull of yours. You've been out ever since. How do you feel?"

"Like I was kicked in the head by a mule! I did feel some relief when you kissed me. I wonder if you could sort of help me out a little more?" Tom asked with a straight face.

"Okay this time, but don't think I'm going to try to give you a full recovery right now!" Cathy laughed as she gave Tom another kiss. "I'm just so glad that you woke up!"

"What did happen? I don't remember very much. I guess Emerson thinks I'm pretty slow. What did he say?" Tom watched as the girls' expressions turned serious. "Is he all right? For God's sake, did he get killed?"

Maria answered, " Emerson is very much alive. He was hit in the shoulder and leg in that fight and then rode to meet the rest of Gustin's gang in the wash to the east, so they couldn't over run the camp and get you and Cathy. She refused to leave you. In that fight an Indian cut him with a knife and he lost more blood. Right now, he is sleeping by the fire, but he has a bad fever and is not very well."

"Tom, it was my fault for talking Cathy into leaving the herd. You and Emerson were wonderful. You saved Cathy and me. I only hope you both can forgive me."

"It sounds like Emerson was busy." Tom looked at Maria. "There is nothing to forgive. I'm just glad I was finally able to answer the call. I was calm and wasn't afraid, although I may have been too slow. I can't speak for Emerson, but I know he would ride into Hell for you. We saw him do it, in fact. He will never be angry with you."

Maria returned to Emerson's side as Cathy and Tom discussed the previous day's excitement. It seemed to Maria that those two were becoming more than friends on this trip. She was glad for them, but it brought her back to the man beside her. She realized how much she wanted him to recover. Maria wiped his brow and waited.

As the day wore on members of the crew stopped by to see how Emerson was doing. Pat Casey spoke to Maria, "I know you are worried about Emerson, but lie down and get some rest. We don't want you to be ill, too. We have to keep drifting the herd so the cattle can graze. I'll be sure somebody is around to keep an eye on you. I think we eliminated most of the danger yesterday. I'll be back this evening to see how everything is going. Get some rest."

Billy came by twice to clean the wounds and change bandages. "I know he looks bad, but he'll make it. No bones were hit. His shoulder will take a long time to heal. He suffered muscle damage, but I think he is better now than he was last night. He sure has a good nurse, who had better get some rest."

Emerson woke with the feeling someone had put equal amounts of sand and cotton in his mouth. He felt pain in his shoulder, but not as bad as he might expect. His leg throbbed, but compared to his shoulder, would be no problem. The cut he received from the damned Indian burned his back.

Emerson decided to open his eyes and get some water. He found a damp cloth covered his forehead and eyes and a weight was on his chest. Looking under the edge of the cloth he could see Maria lying with her head on his chest. She seemed asleep. He realized his left hand was resting on her cheek.

Gently, he began to caress her cheek and neck. He kept it up for several minutes. Then he felt Maria stiffen. She was very still for a minute as Emerson kept caressing her. Then she sat up and removed the cloth and looked into his eyes.

"Do you know who I am?" Maria asked, in Spanish, as she moved close to Emerson's face.

"I sure didn't lose that much blood! You are the prettiest thing in New Mexico." Emerson replied weakly.

"You are speaking in Spanish. Did you learn it last night while you were in fever," Maria laughed. "Emerson, I may kill you as soon as you are well enough. I was so worried! Can I get you anything?" With that she leaned down and kissed him. "That is what we nurses do when our patients wake up."

"It does seem to help. I can only guess what it would take to relieve all the pain." Emerson smiled as he responded.

"It sounds like you are doing well enough, already. Would you like a drink?" Maria pulled back a little as she spoke.

"I sure would! Did somebody dump sand down my throat after Billy finished with that whiskey? I'd probably be fine now if he hadn't made me drink that."

Maria brought Emerson some cool water and helped him drink. As he finished she spoke. "I was wrong to bring Cathy back to the camp. I should have listened to you. Now you and Tom have been shot and I am responsible. I am sorry, Emerson."

Emerson was quiet for a while, then answered Maria. "You should have listened, but I'm not angry. It really couldn't have worked out much better. We met Gustin's forces when they were divided. Maria, I haven't forgotten that you saved my life. I am in your debt."

Maria marveled at Emerson's lack of anger. No one blamed her for the confrontation. Maria felt relieved, but still blamed herself. Emerson was still in a lot of pain and a long way from any comfortable shelter. He would have some tough days ahead.

Emerson fell back asleep after a long drink. When he woke he saw the sun rising in the eastern sky. He felt much stronger, although his shoulder still ached. He pushed himself into a sitting position with his good arm.

"Well look who has decided to join us." It was Cathy and she had a big smile for Emerson. "Maria said you came out of it for awhile yesterday, but I was beginning to wonder. How are you feeling?"

"I feel a lot better, but I'd be lying if I said I felt very well. Cathy, fill me in on everything, would you?" asked Emerson.

"I guess you sure asked the right person, Emerson. You were shot in a couple of places and stabbed in another, the day before yesterday. Maria sat with you the whole first night and most of the day. You two carried on quite a conversation, in Spanish. I think we were both surprised at your command of the language. Maria assumes she is practically the only person in this territory that can speak it. I can understand it some and never try to use it, but I did catch some of what you two were saying." Cathy watched Emerson's face.

"I was wondering if you would remember what you said, or what Maria was saying to you. You don't, do you? Let me give you a hint, Emerson. If Pat Casey had heard you two, he probably would have shot you again!"

Cathy laughed at Emerson's surprised reaction. "You don't have to worry about me. I can keep a secret!"

"The crew has been letting the cattle drift and graze, merely keeping them pointed in the right direction. You had your battle the day before yesterday. Billy, Bob, Maria, and I have been here with you and Tom. Tom is up and around. He had that slug bounce off his hard head and was out till yesterday morning. He still gets a little dizzy but is getting better."

Cathy looked around and saw that no one was near. "Between you and me, I'd have to say that Tom showed pretty well in that fight. That man was shooting at him and he kept his cool and hit him dead center first shot."

"Maria finally agreed to get some sleep early this morning and the rest of us took turns keeping an eye on you." Bob was approaching and Cathy had switched subjects. "Pat said he is going to try to start the herd today. We can't stay sitting here any longer. Your recovery would decide how we go about it. Bob is supposed to report to him this morning. The herd is about seven or eight miles away."

Bob reached down and squeezed Emerson's good hand. "It sure is good to see you sit up. That was some fight! You and Tom really did a job on Gustin and those others. Pat and Miguel and Billy and the rest were hell on wheels when the rode into Gustin's bunch. These guys can fight! That took care of that problem. How many days before you can ride, Emerson?"

Emerson had to smile at the young man's pride in being part of the battle. "If you'll take that hand you are squeezing so hard and help me, I'll get up and see how I am."

Bob lifted and Emerson got to his feet. He was amazed at how many places hurt. The movement caused his shoulder discomfort and Emerson winced. His back still burned and his leg was stiff and weak. "Bob, you can tell Pat I'll be riding today and not to wait for me. I may have to rest now and then, but I can make it. Everyone else can help with the herd."

"How can you even think of traveling today?" Maria was awake and heard the end of the conversation. " You should rest for at least several more days. You'll open your wounds again."

Maria turned to Billy, who had just ridden up. "Billy, would you please tell this stubborn fool that he needs to rest a few more days. He almost bled to death!"

Billy studied the situation before he answered, "Maria, you are right. Emerson should rest more, but Emerson is right, too. I'm not an expert on cattle, but I don't think we can let this drive bog down much more. Those animals aren't gaining any weight on the poor graze in this dry country. We need as many riders as we can manage and we have to start soon. Emerson will be hurting for awhile, but laying out here isn't the solution."

Maria was stunned. "I thought he was your best friend! With friends like you, he'll never need enemies. Let's go then, and when his wounds open up and he's at death's door, don't expect me to worry. I'm done with that!"

As Maria marched off to get her horse, Cathy broke the silence Maria had created. "She sure is mad for someone that doesn't care. We better get Emerson ready to travel."

Emerson's right arm was placed in a sling and then Billy ran a bandage around Emerson's back and over his sling to immobilize the arm. Bob saddled the quietest horse available and Emerson was helped into the saddle.

Soon the small group was riding for the herd. Maria rode behind the rest, still angry and not hiding the fact from anyone. Emerson knew he was in trouble as soon as the horse started, but had no choice but to stick it out. He felt incredibly weak and pain seemed to be everywhere. Emerson had to use all his remaining strength to stay in the saddle. He made a great effort to conceal his weakness from the others.

The rest of the crew saw them riding in and the relief was obvious. Pat and Miguel rode up to them. "Emerson, I am glad to see you!" It was Pat talking. "We really have to get this herd going. Can you make it?"

Emerson tried to smile. "Pat, I won't be any help at all, but I should be able to keep up. Get everything going and I'll follow a ways back. That way I can stop and rest now and then and not be in the way."

Pat was about to speak to Maria, but saw her face and decided against it. He had seen that look often enough to know he didn't want to cross her path.

Soon the drive was back in motion. Emerson sat his horse, grateful to be alone. He knew he could never mask the pain all day. Everyone would see he was in no shape to travel and the drive would stop moving.

As the day wore on, Emerson's discomfort increased. His fever returned and he felt like he was burning up. The horse had figured out he was going to follow the drive, so Emerson simply concentrated on staying in the saddle. He rode with his head hanging down on his chest, barely conscious.

At some point he fell from the horse. He woke to find himself on his back, the sun an hour from setting. He knew he should get up and find his horse, but he fell back asleep.

Water touched his lips and his brow. Emerson opened his eyes and saw Maria leaning over him. She gave him a drink from a canteen and again mopped his brow with water.

She then took his good arm and helped him to sit up. She did not speak. Pulling, she got him to his feet. Emerson was so dizzy he had to cling to Maria to stand. She got him to his horse and after several attempts, got him into the saddle.

Emerson almost fell off the other side. His strength was gone and his leg had begun hurting more. He simply could not hold on. Maria saw his situation and led her horse close to his. She removed his foot from the stirrup and stepped into it, and climbed on Emerson's horse, behind him. She then reached around Emerson and took the reins. Leading her mount, she started after the herd.

Maria met Billy and Bob a short time later. They showed relief when they saw Emerson, but as they got close concern clouded their eyes.

Billy spoke, "He's in bad shape, isn't he. Do you want me to take him, Maria."

"Billy, he's bleeding again and has another fever. He's so weak he can't ride a horse. I can only guess what pain he has been in. I'd say, yes, he is in bad shape. I think it is best we ride this way. If someone rides double with him, it should be someone light. Let's get him to the camp."

As Maria rode in, the others stood and watched. Miguel gently lowered Emerson off the horse. Billy and Cathy began working on Emerson's wounds. The two entry wounds from the bullets were oozing blood. They soon had fresh bandages on Emerson and he was sleeping by the fire.

"I would have to say that Maria was right," Billy began. "He should have rested at least another day. I am volunteering to stay with him tomorrow and catch up to the herd the next day. It is your decision, Pat. The herd has to keep moving. It is way too dry to slow down here."

Pat Casey replied, "You're right on both counts. I accept your offer. Catch up when you can, Billy."

Maria waited until her father went to get his horse for night duty and followed him.

"Dad, could I talk to you?" Maria gave her father a quick hug. "I want to ask you something."

"Maria, you know when it starts with a hug I have trouble refusing you. What is it?" Pat beamed as he looked at his daughter.

"Would you think it awful if I stayed with Emerson, rather than Billy? I think I can take better care of him and Billy is better with the herd."

Pat Casey looked at Maria for a full minute before speaking. "Billy is better with the herd? You are one of the best riders we have. Maria, I'm not blind, or stupid. I worry about your safety, but I know you well enough that I'd better go along with you. You are so much like your mother! He is a fine man. Yes, you take care of him and catch up, but I'll send someone back tomorrow evening, just to be safe."