In My Life Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You two seem to be having a good time. I suppose everything is going well now?" Carmella asked.

"Mother, I told you I always do the wrong things," Maria said. "You saw an example of that today. Well, I learned my lesson!. Tonight will be the best of my life." Maria stated to her mother. "I am done playing the fool!"

Carmella left the two friends, unsure what Maria was saying, but relieved that she was again happy. Carmella felt her own spirits lifted and was smiling when she saw Pat.

" Could I guess from that big smile that Maria is okay?" Pat asked his wife. He felt relief when Carmella nodded. "I wonder how Emerson is doing."

"She seems to be very happy. I'm not certain, but I think when she feels this good, Emerson will benefit from it," Carmella responded to Pat.

Shortly before the girls began to dress for the ball, Maria met Billy in the hallway. She was in a good mood and decided to tease Billy.

"I am saving a dance for you, Billy, so make sure you are on time. I don't want to have to look all over to find you." Maria's smile faded as she saw the serious look on Billy's face.

"Billy, you aren't upset with me about this morning, are you? I may have been a little hasty in my conclusions, but it did look bad." Maria questioned her rotund friend. "Why the long face?"

Billy looked up and down the hall before he whispered, "Emerson is talking about going back to sea. He feels things aren't working out and that he would be happier away from here- away from you. When you're upset with him, he really gets down."

"I've come to think of everyone as a friend and was ready to settle in Morgantown. If Emerson goes back to sea I probably will, too. We've been through a lot together," Billy added.

"Billy, I think he will change his mind tonight. At least I hope he does. Do you think I can get him to stay?" Maria asked.

"Are you kidding? You could make him stay, jump off a cliff, or anything else. I guess you haven't noticed how he feels," Billy answered.

Maria thrilled at Billy's response. "Then don't be expecting to sail anywhere for some time. At least not with Emerson. Don't tell him, but I won't let him go."

Billy gave Maria a hug. "Am I glad to hear that! I'll see that we get to the ball in plenty of time."

While Maria was dressing her Mother surprised her with another visit. "Maria, you look beautiful! How do you like my dress?" Carmella spun around as she asked her daughter the question.

"Mother, you are so lovely! How will I ever get anyone to notice me?" Maria complained.

"I don't think it will be a problem, especially with that neckline. You had better not let your father see you before you get to the ball or he may insist you change," Carmella told her daughter.

"Do you think Dad would do that?" Maria was concerned until she saw her mother's grin. "Mother, you are teasing me. Cathy and I are going to show these folks that we aren't a couple of tomboy cowgirls."

"Everyone should know better after they see that dress," Carmella laughed. "I have never seen you so lovely!"

Maria smiled and told her mother, "I hope so. I need all my feminine charms tonight."

"Maria, you worry me." Carmella told her daughter. "I get the feeling you have something in mind."

"Mother, save your worries for tomorrow. If things don't go right tonight, I'll be more miserable than ever. For tonight, just tell Dad not to answer when I talk to him about Emerson. He can listen, but let Emerson speak for himself."

Carmella Casey looked at her daughter. "Maria, you do have something in mind for tonight! What is it?"

"It is an idea Cathy gave me when she was talking about how these men make such a big deal of never lying, or dishonoring women. It means a lot to them, but I think I can use it to my advantage." Maria told her mother.

"Maria, I don't think I should have to tell you not to try to embarrass or hurt Emerson. I hope that isn't your plan," Carmella stated.

"Mother, he may be embarrassed, and so may I, but I'll take that chance. Just keep Dad from answering me when I tell him how bad Emerson is. Please do that," pleaded Maria.

At that moment, Emerson and the ranchers that had cattle in the drive met with Major Reynolds at a local bank.

"Gentleman, I have a check from the government, as promised. It is made out to Emerson Trask. I will give it to him and he can see that each of you receives your share. It has been a pleasure doing business with you. I also have some news that may interest you."

Reynolds went on, "I have it on good authority that there will be a railroad built to Santa Fe from points east. It is likely that it will pass not far from Morgantown, crossing what is called the Benson trail a few days ride from your basin. It will be likely that a cattle stockyard will be established, and your market will be that much closer."

"That is good news!" Pat Casey admitted. "That means Taylor is going to lose his stranglehold on the basin. He probably knows it by now. If he doesn't, it will be my pleasure to inform him!"

"Mr. Taylor is aware of the situation, but I suggest you avoid the man. He seems to be quite unstable. I spoke with him earlier. He was livid and very unflattering about your group, Mr. Casey. Watch him closely."

Emerson returned to his room after taking care of the financial part of the successful drive. Billy soon appeared in the doorway. "You had better start getting ready. We don't want to be late, and in your shape, it may take awhile."

Emerson wasn't in much of a mood to go to the ball. His shoulder was very stiff and his heart was heavy. He believed Maria's anger that morning indicated she really cared for Estrada. That would make the evening difficult to endure.

Billy would not hear of Emerson not attending the festivities. "It would be an insult to all your family and friends. If you aren't enjoying yourself, you can flinch a few times and excuse yourself. That wound can be a benefit."

"I think you may have the solution, Billy. I can't get over how excited you are about this whole affair. I never thought of you as much of a dancer and I don't think I ever saw you duded up like this. I wouldn't want to hurt your feelings, but you're still about the sorriest thing I've encountered in all my considerable travels."

"You aren't my type, anyway," Billy laughed. "With all those pretty girls around, I wouldn't want to be less than my best."

Emerson laughed with his friend. "That's what I'm trying to tell you! Your best could stop a clock. It would be better if it were a masquerade party. You could go as a cannon ball!"

Billy was nonplused. "I'm not going to let your jealousy put a damper on my evening. We'll let the ladies judge for themselves."

In a more serious tone Billy asked Emerson, "Have you considered going back to sea, since things aren't working out that well with Maria?"

"Why would you ask that? I still have my family and I like ranching. Maria has a lot of reasons for not liking me. I saw to that. I can still help her out now and then. That will have to be enough. We don't always get everything we want. It isn't a fairy tale, Billy," Emerson sighed as he finished. "Sometimes, I wish it were."

Tom and Bob walked into the room. Both were dressed to the hilt. The dark suits they wore were freshly pressed and their shirts had frills in front.

"Hurry up, Emerson," coaxed Tom. "We want to be there before the fun starts. How do we look?"

"You two look so good Billy will be asking you for a dance. Where did you get those shirts?" Emerson asked his friends.

"Maria's cousins helped us find them. They sure are good looking girls, and I think they like me," Bob answered. "They are going to be there tonight."

"That could be it!" exclaimed Emerson. "They want you for themselves so they had you two wear those shirts, knowing no other women will come near you."

They all laughed. The banter continued as Emerson dressed for the ball. He felt himself enjoying his friends and looking forward to the evening. Bob mentioned several times he was promised the first dance from Maria and he wasn't going to be late.

The four made their way to the Governor's mansion well before the music was to begin. People were streaming in from all directions. Emerson realized that some must have traveled long distances to attend. Lieutenant Andrews and several other officers were already there, along with Major Reynolds.

Bob stood with the others, awed by what he saw. "Have you ever seen so many pretty girls?" he asked. "This is going to be great!"

Then Emerson heard a murmur go through the crowd and he turned to the door. Maria and Cathy were coming in. They had caused the excitement in the crowd.

Cathy had her hair done up on her head. She wore a dark low-cut gown, Spanish in style. Emerson was struck by her beauty and her lovely figure. It was impossible not to stare.

Maria's dark hair was combed away from her face and down her back. Her gown was Spanish as well, bare at the shoulders, and cut as low as Cathy's. It was light, almost white, and contrasted with her hair perfectly. It was, Emerson thought, the only reason any man would ever take his eyes off Cathy.

The two girls came across the room to stand with Tom, Bob, Billy and Emerson. The four watched them approach. Maria and Cathy laughed as they saw the appreciation in the eyes of their friends.

Cathy spoke to the men, "If you could show us what table you gentlemen are sitting at, we would be glad to join you. That is if you can stop staring and close your mouths."

"Ladies, you are beautiful!" It was Tom that found his voice. "We would be extremely proud to have you join us." He began to search the room for a table.

"We're in luck. It looks like our crowd from Morgantown is sitting by that wall, and they have seats for us. You ladies' parents are already seated. Shall we join them?"

Tom offered his arm to Cathy, who gave a big smile as she took it. Emerson was surprised, and pleased when Maria took his left arm. They took seats at tables with the others from Morgantown.

Vern Jordan looked at his daughter and remarked, "Now I know why I couldn't see that gown before now! Cathy, you remind me of your mother!"

Cathy's mom was beaming as she watched her daughter. "I never looked that good, nor had the nerve to dress like that. You girls are going to be the hit of this ball."

When the music started, Maria reminded Bob he had been promised that dance. Billy told everyone, "He hasn't talked about anything else all day! Don't worry about Bob forgetting his dance with Maria."

Tom and Cathy paired off for the first dance, while Emerson was approached by Consuela. He joined her on the floor. She was a very pretty girl and he enjoyed the dance.

As the evening progressed, Emerson saw that Cathy and Maria were attracting a lot of admirers. For each dance they had to choose from several possible partners. The girls were having a great time. Emerson also saw Billy dance with both girls. He was surprisingly graceful and his dances with Maria and Cathy seemed to make him a sought after man. Billy gave Emerson a big smile whenever their paths would cross.

Ellen Lander worked her way through the crowd to Emerson. She was dressed fashionably and wore a gown that flattered her lovely figure. She took Emerson by his left arm and led him onto the floor.

"Ellen, you are very beautiful. I noticed there has been quite a line of men waiting to dance with you," observed Emerson.

"Do you think so? Your friends Cathy and Maria are incredible. I didn't realize that cattle ranching can be so good for a girl's figure. I can see why Maria is so important to you. She is a wonderful girl."

"My fiance is here this evening. I want to introduce him to you. I know you'll like him. He reminds me of you. That's what first attracted me to him."

Ellen reached up and kissed Emerson. "If I can help you with Maria, let me know. I hope to be friends of you both."

Emerson smiled at Ellen. "Thanks, but I don't know where I stand with her. I seem to always say and do things to upset her."

Ellen laughed, "I bet you do! I just saw her watching us and I bet she saw me kiss you. She won't like that!"

Emerson found himself a regular on the dance floor. The women were not shy about getting the gentlemen to escort them for a dance. At one point, Emerson found himself dancing very close to a very pretty young woman. She simply wouldn't stay back. She laughed and talked all the time, as if they were old friends. By the end of the dance, Emerson knew she would like to be more than friends.

Emerson excused himself and made his way back to his table. Pat Casey was laughing as Emerson used a cloth to wipe the perspiration from his brow. "Things got a little warm there, Emerson? It looks like you had your arm full. Too bad your right arm doesn't work better. You might have been able to keep her back a little."

Emerson saw Carmella Casey smiling as her husband joked. "Mrs. Casey, may I have the honor of this dance. You shouldn't have to listen to the ramblings of this man all night."

Carmella was pleased and went with Emerson. "It is always good to get in with a girl's mother," Carmella told Emerson.

"Mrs. Casey, I am simply dancing with one of the most attractive women in the room. I really don't need any other reason," Emerson responded.

"You are very kind, Emerson. I want to tell you that Maria is over her anger. She knows the entire story about your encounter with Michael. It was strange, but she wasn't as upset as I thought she would be. She had already forgiven you and forgotten him. In fact, she has something in mind for you, I think. I can't say anymore. Be good to her, Emerson."

"Mrs. Casey, I try. It seems to go wrong all the time. I say or do the wrong thing when I am with her," Emerson confided.

"I can't tell you how familiar that sounds," laughed Carmella. "I have heard that before. It looks like our dance is done. Thank-you."

Ellen was standing with Maria when Emerson and Carmella returned. "Maria, Emerson, and everyone else, this is Ben Gibbons, my fiance." Ben was tall, and rugged-looking. Maria was struck by the similarities with Emerson. As the two shook hands, she decided they could pass for brothers.

As the men exchanged greetings, Maria gave Ellen a hug. "You are a good friend, Ellen. I have a plan for tonight, but I am afraid I may get cold feet. I tell myself I am going to go through with it. I hope it works. If I tell it to you, will you help me?"

The two women spent the next few minutes off to one side, deep in conversation. Both wore big smiles as they returned to the group.

Emerson had little time to relax. He was a handsome young man and in great demand. Soon, he was back out on the floor. Emerson saw that Lieutenant Andrews managed to get a couple of dances with both Cathy and Maria. Cathy would speak to Emerson occasionally as they met on the floor.

As the musicians began another melody, Cathy worked away from her many admirers and took Emerson's good arm. "Cowboy, I have been waiting for this chance!" she told him.

Cathy, not surprisingly, talked as they danced. "Emerson, we are having such a good time! You look very handsome. I see all the girls hanging all over you, especially that one. Couldn't she get any closer? I sure don't blame her though. In fact," Cathy drew herself close to Emerson, "you seem to do that to a girl."

"Cathy, I have to say you are a beautiful girl. All eyes are on you tonight. You don't look like that cowgirl that ate dust, and Pedro's cooking for over two weeks. You look like a princess," Emerson told the blonde girl.

"Emerson, I feel like one. I couldn't ask for any more. Mother looks better than she has in a long time. I think getting out and around was better for her than resting all the time."

"You have proven to be a great friend," Cathy continued. "I feel even closer to Maria since that trail drive and I have come to see what a fine man Tom is. He looks like the one for me, but don't tell him I said that. I have to be a little hard to get."

Emerson looked into the eyes of Cathy. "I have come to think of you as a special friend. You are always a breath of fresh air. Your honesty and understanding of your own feelings is a gift. Most of us have trouble with the truth, especially when it is personal."

"As a friend, Emerson, I have to warn you. I think Maria is cooking something up. She has been unusually talkative and happy all afternoon. She may have something planned for you," Cathy said.

Emerson laughed as he answered, "You are the second one to tell me that. I doubt she will be too dangerous. She doesn't look threatening tonight, and she even smiled at me."

The dance ended with Cathy replying, "Emerson, Maria has never been more dangerous than tonight. You'd have a better chance if she came after you with a gun!"

Emerson started back to the table, but was intercepted by the pretty girl that liked to get close. This time she clung to Emerson. At first, Emerson felt a little embarrassed, but gradually relaxed and enjoyed the dance. The girl was pretty, and very shapely, and used it all to her advantage. Emerson was surprised at how quickly the song ended.

Once again he started back to his friends, only to be intercepted again. Maria was facing him, oblivious to the admirers asking her for the dance.

"Emerson," Maria spoke softly to him, "This is our dance, remember?"

Emerson could only nod as he looked into Maria's face. Together, they moved back out on the floor. Emerson was very careful not to hold Maria too close and ruin her mood.

She looked at him and smiled, "Emerson, I won't break. You danced a lot closer with that other girl, twice, and with Cathy, too. Ellen seemed to be able to get close. Can't I?" As she finished speaking she moved close to Emerson's chest. He could feel her body touching his.

"Aren't you afraid your parents will get the wrong idea?" Emerson asked Maria.

"Emerson, my parents could never be angry with you, especially where I am concerned. You saved my life twice, at least. But, I am not going to spend this dance talking about my parents." With that she drew even closer to Emerson and laid her head on his good shoulder.

Carmella Casey was sitting with Pat and Miguel and Molly as Emerson and Maria danced. "I have never seen Maria so forward, or so happy," Carmella told the others. "Emerson may be in trouble tonight. They do look perfect together."

Molly replied to Carmella's statement. "They are a beautiful couple. I think Maria is the loveliest thing I have ever seen. It is nice to see them finally getting along."

Emerson was very aware of the closeness of Maria. She had apparently forgiven him for his trouble with Michael. Emerson wished the dance would last all night, as he held Maria in his arms.

"This reminds me of that night you pulled me from that stampede and held me while we rode back to camp," Maria whispered. "That was the best ride I've ever taken. I was helpless in your arms, and you were so worried about me. Do you remember?"

"Maria, I'm not sure what to say. I have this fear I'll say the wrong thing and upset you," Emerson replied. "I certainly don't want to change the mood. I remember that ride very well. I was wishing it would never end. I feel the same way now."

"Emerson, all I want you to say is the truth. Will you promise to always tell me that, regardless of who it may hurt?" Maria had raised her head and was watching Emerson.

"Maria, you have my word on that." She was so close Emerson could feel her breath. "I'll start by telling you that you are incredibly beautiful."

Maria thrilled at Emerson's words. Cathy and Ellen were right. Emerson cared for her. She knew that being with him would be worth any pain she might suffer.

Maria smiled as the music stopped, but the noise from the crowd caused both her, and Emerson, to look around. Standing in the center of the floor with a revolver was Tom Taylor. His face was a purplish color and his eyes were very dark. It was clear he was a man that had lost all control.