In My Life

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Let's talk about other things." Carmella Casey was far more interested in Emerson, where he had been, and his return to Morgantown. "Tell me all about yourself. Does your mother know you're returning? I think not, or she would have told someone and news like that would travel quickly. Will you stay long? The past seven or eight years have really changed you, and the change appears to be all for the better, if I may say. I'm rambling now. Emerson, I know it isn't considered polite to ask Western men about their past, but fill me in on whatever you are comfortable with."

Emerson had to laugh at Carmella's curiosity. She had always been kind to him, even when he had gone to great lengths to cause bad feelings in others. "Mrs. Casey, there isn't much to tell. Just under eight years ago I was sent to live with my uncle, Sam Bennington. I think you know he is my mother's brother and you also know why I was sent."

"Sam didn't lead what most people would call a normal life. He is the captain of a trading vessel and I have spent most of the last eight years at sea. I caught up with him in Galveston, a month after leaving Morgantown. I was bitter, as I'm sure you recall, and was determined to give him a difficult time. Well, I spent the first five days in irons. Sam referred to that as my "attitude adjustment" period."

"I learned he was the captain and I was the cabin boy. Complaints were not tolerated, and orders were followed. Men were judged by deeds and not by appearances. The first month I was sea sick most of the time and I hated my uncle. And my mother for sending me to him. As time went on, I came to realize the crew would treat me as I deserved, and doing my share and not complaining gained respect."

"In short, it was a great experience. I saw places many people never even heard of, and I met all kinds of people. I learned and saw things that taught me how foolish and self-centered I was. Gradually, over a period of time, my outlook changed a great deal."

"I envy you, Emerson," Carmella replied as she leaned back in her seat. "I have always wanted to see more of the world but had to settle for part of New Mexico, although I do love it here. Did you come back to visit your family, or do you plan on staying?"

"I really haven't made any plans. We were docked in Galveston about a month ago, when Sam called me into his cabin." Thinking back, Emerson continued, "He told me it had been eight years since my mother had sent me to him with the almost impossible task of making an ignorant, pig-headed boy into a man. He felt he had done his job and wanted me to go home."

"I was hurt since I thought he was saying he didn't care to have me sailing with him. I said as much, and that was when he told me the last letter he had received from my mother hinted of trouble. He was concerned for her and felt I should return home. I agreed and here I am."

"Your uncle was correct about this being a troubled range and it will be wonderful for your mother to see you again, but I hope you don't expect to be able to solve the problems faced by the ranchers in this basin." Mrs. Casey continued on, "It is likely that most, if not all the ranchers, will have to sell to Senor Taylor within the next year or two."

Emerson could see the prospect worried Carmella Casey and changed the subject. " How are Pat and Maria doing? I'll bet Maria is married and Pat hasn't changed a bit. He was sure good to me that summer I rode for the KC."

A smile came across Carmella's face and she laughed, "Pat always thought you had "potential" as he called it. He is pretty much the same as he was, except the trouble of the past year has had an effect on him. Maria is not married, or even close, although there are a large number of admirers who would like to change that. I may sound like a mother, but she has grown into the most beautiful young woman! Wait till you see her."

It was Emerson's turn to laugh. "I'm certain she is everything you say. She was all of that eight years ago, but I don't expect a very warm greeting from her. I was pretty miserable to her. I'll be content if she doesn't shoot me."

"I would guess that your return will not go unnoticed by Maria, but I doubt it will include gunplay. I think she missed you when you left."

Emerson couldn't hide his surprise. "Probably everything was too calm and serene without me. I kept it from becoming too dull."

This was a totally different Emerson Trask than Carmella had seen as a youth. He was a fine, rugged looking man, but the change was his character. Maria would never believe he ever held her so highly. His confidence and poise were almost tangible. His return to Morgantown would be a topic of interest for some time.

The rest of the journey seemed to fly by as Emerson answered questions about distant lands and the cultures he had seen. Carmella found him to be one of the most interesting people she had ever spoken with. He obviously received some education while with his uncle. His speech was clear and his words well chosen. Emerson Trask had become a very unusual young man, one that she enjoyed.

The stage pulled into Morgantown around dinner time, and Emerson could see it had grown some, but still was very much as he remembered. It was Saturday and the streets were busy and the walks crowded. He knew his arrival would be seen by most of the town.


When the stage came to a stop in front of the hotel, Emerson stepped down and turned to help Carmella. As she lightly landed in the street Emerson heard a voice behind him.

"How was your trip, Mother? Was Santa Fe as busy as-" and the voice simply stopped. Emerson had turned to face the speaker. It was Maria Casey standing before him, close enough that he could feel her breath. She was, Emerson realized, even more beautiful than Carmella had promised and he had remembered. She had black hair that sparkled in the afternoon light, dark eyes, and smooth skin, seemingly unaffected by the New Mexico sun.

She was tall, perhaps five inches less than Emerson's six feet, with a slender but very feminine figure. That she recognized him was obvious. Emerson looked down into her eyes and could think of nothing to say.

This was the girl he had treated so badly. He had no doubt that she hated him, but that only seemed to make her more desirable. He had been all over the world, but had never known anyone else like Maria. Emerson looked into her eyes and felt wonder, and some fear.

Maria recognized Emerson instantly. She had no idea he was returning to Morgantown, and her surprise was complete. She was unable to move as she stared at him. Part of her mind noticed how tanned and rugged he was as he stood near her. His hair was still dark and he was even better looking than she recalled. Emotions Maria thought had been laid to rest came flooding back.

This was Emerson Trask! How he had frequented her thoughts the past eight years. No one had ever been able to hurt her the way he had. No one else had ever been able to cause so many feelings in Maria. Even now, as she looked into his gray eyes, Maria felt drawn to Emerson' s physical presence.

He was a powerful, virile man, capable and confident. Maria was surprised to realize how strongly she reacted to him. For a second, Maria thought of throwing her arms around his neck and hugging him. He obviouly was well and had survived his stint at sea. She had wondered and worried about him for eight years.

She was still standing very close to him. With someone else, she would have backed off a step or two. With Emerson, she had never given any ground and she wouldn't start now. He couldn't dominate, or control, Maria Casey! So she stood with her face near his, returning his gaze. Time stood still.

Emerson saw the fire in her eyes. He could see emotions were at play. Her nostrils flared and her chin lifted. Emerson resisted the urge to wrap his arms around her and pull her to him. She was incredible.

Carmella was a spectator to the meeting. She marveled at the energy the two generated simply by standing near each other. She had never seen Maria so intense, and for the longest time neither spoke. Carmella began to realize there was more between her daughter and Emerson than she had ever guessed. This reunion was not average!

As Maria's eyes burned into his, Emerson finally managed, "Hello, Maria."

That seemed to release Maria's pent-up feelings. Her right hand shot up and stung his left cheek with a resounding slap. "I hate you!" Maria gave it emphasis by keeping her voice low.

As Emerson stood in the street thinking he had gotten exactly what he deserved, Carmella came to his side. Maria stalked off to the hotel.

"Wow! I guess Maria does remembers you, Emerson. That is a start. Now I want you to meet Maria's friend, Cathy Jordan. Cathy, this is Emerson Trask."

Emerson turned his attention to a pretty blonde girl standing next to Mrs. Casey. As he tipped his hat, she gave a big smile and laughed, "I sure guess she does remember you! I thought you two were going to stare until the sun went down. What did you two have going? She's the only girl in the country that would watch the best looking male this town has ever seen get off the stage and then slap his face. I'll settle for a hand shake." With that she extended her hand.

"Cathy Jordan, it is a pleasure, and a comfort to know that not every pretty girl in this town hates me. At least not until you know me better." Emerson found himself liking this straightforward girl with the firm handshake.

"Well, let's hope I do get to know you better before Maria gets over her mad. She picks the men she wants and I get the leftovers, and the pickings have slim around here, until now." Cathy Jordan seemed to have a way of stating her thoughts without feminine guile. "I have heard your name mentioned more than a few times. You're Molly's son. No one mentioned what a handsome rogue you are. I guess Maria forgot that point. She also forgot to tell me exactly how much you meant to her. That was quite a scene."

"Pat and Dad are having a beer." Cathy continued, "Maria and I promised to watch for the stage and go to the hotel with you, when you pulled in, Carmella. I'm thinking Maria forgot about all that for a minute, but she's probably waiting for us in the dinning room. As for you, cowboy, I'll see you around." With that she and Carmella headed for the hotel.

Emerson waited for the old driver to toss his war bag down. As he caught it a KC rider gathered Mrs. Casey's luggage and headed for the hotel. It was Ernie Hooker, still running Pat Casey's ranch. Emerson recalled how totally dedicated to the KC, and its owners, this man was. He had to be well into his sixties now, but still carried himself like a much younger man.

As he started for the hotel, Emerson considered how Maria had actually made him feel at home. Any reception less hostile would not have seemed right. Considering his treatment of Maria years ago, he had gotten off lightly.

She had grown even more lovely than he remembered. Emerson had wondered if seeing Maria again would end his obsession with her. Perhaps he would find her less in real life than she was in his memory. Shaking his head, Emerson knew that possibility had disappeared. She seemed to be even more than he remembered.

The next order of business would be the most difficult, Emerson realized. Being Saturday, many of the area ranchers would be having dinner in the hotel. That meant there was an excellent chance his mother and Miguel Hernandez would be doing the same. There would likely be a crowd, but Emerson had never let that stop him from embarrassing himself before.

As he entered the dining area of the hotel, Emerson saw he had guessed correctly. Seeing his mother and Miguel seated at a table in the center of the large room, Emerson paid no attention to the others. He strode to their seats and began a speech he had been thinking about for a very long time.

"Miguel, when I was dragged from here eight years ago, I promised I would be back." The room turned very quiet. Miguel slowly stood as Emerson's mother held her hand to her chest, unable to speak. "I also said one of us would be sorry. Well, I'm back and I apologize to you, sir. I am sorry."

For a moment, Miguel looked hard at Emerson, as if making up his mind. Then he smiled and extended his hand, which Emerson gratefully accepted. Emerson knew his mother had married a fine man!

"With your permission, I would like very much to visit you and my mother at your hacienda."

Again Miguel smiled, "Emerson, that which is mine, is also yours. Welcome home!" Emerson marveled at how he could have been so foolish as to dislike this man.

By this time Emerson's mother had found her voice as she stood and ran to him. "Emerson," she cried as she hugged him. "You've grown so big! You're so handsome! I didn't know you were coming home. You'd better put me down!"

Emerson laughed as he lowered her back to where her feet touched the floor. She looked well and Emerson knew that Miguel had been good for her. She would be in her mid-forties now and deserved happiness.

Emerson was completely shocked at what happened next. "Em, his mother barely whispered, "I want you to meet someone. Nancy, come and say hello to your brother." Stunned, Emerson dropped to one knee as the girl approached. He held her at arm's length for a moment, looking into her eyes.

"Mother, she is an angel," he exclaimed as he hugged the dark-haired beauty. To his joy, Nancy was hugging him back, and Emerson knew that coming home had been the best thing he could ever have done. Opening his eyes, he saw the Casey family watching the entire scene. Carmella's eyes were moist while Maria showed no emotion. She just kept watching and Emerson laughed. Nothing could spoil this moment!

Maria had promised herself, that if she ever met Emerson Trask again, she would slap his face. She had recognized him instantly as he helped Carmella off the stage coach. When he turned to face her, Maria was struck by his familiar smile and wavy brown hair. He was older, taller, stronger and more mature. She felt her heart breaking all over again as she looked at him. She had never had anyone cause so many strong emotions in her as Emerson did. It was only after a few seconds of eye contact that Maria remembered her promise and slapped him.

Maria sat next to her mother, watching the reunion, as did everyone in the room. She had expected anything but what she had seen. A fist fight or even gunplay would not have surprised her. Apologizing in public to a man of Spanish decent was not something the Emerson Trask she knew would do! He seemed so sincere that she could not doubt him. Could he have changed so in eight years?

Cathy Jordan was seated across from her and was teary eyed. "Maria, isn't that the most wonderful thing? Isn't he handsome? I hope he hangs around town awhile, cause I could really go for him. Promise you won't get between us."

Carmella Casey looked at Cathy and smiled, "Cathy, I couldn't help noticing that he seemed taken by you earlier. Besides, Maria hates him. Although, it looked like it took a long time for her to remember that fact. For a moment, I thought she was going to embrace him."

At this Maria turned to her mother. "I know you are trying to tease me, but I have good reasons to hate him, and so do you! Cathy, I like you too much to ever wish him on you. Leave him alone."

Cathy looked closely at her friend. "If I didn't know you better I'd think you were trying to discourage me so you could have him for yourself. I'm quite glad you don't like him, but I'll decide for myself just what sort of hombre he really is."

Maria finished her meal in silence. Her mind went back eight years. She had known she would hurt Emerson with the news about his mother's marriage. She thought she would enjoy it. She didn't. She had never forgotten his look, nor the cruel words he hurled at her. That had been the last time she had seen him. The next morning he was on a stage headed east, and her heart was broken.

Over the years, Maria had heard pieces of news concerning Emerson. His uncle would write to Molly, and she would mention things to Carmella and Maria. He never wrote to his mother. Molly thought he was ashamed of his actions, and hoped time would heal the rift.

For a long time Maria wrote letters to herself and signed Emerson's name to them. Then she would burn them before anyone else would see them. No one guessed how much Emerson's departure bothered her. As the years passed, she got over it, she thought. Still, she never could get interested in the many men that called on her. She was the flower of the basin, but seemed cold. Most men had given up trying to break through her reserve.

Emerson awoke the next morning to the snores of three men, each seeming intent on outdoing the others. Pulling on his boots, he strode outside to watch the sun begin its daily trip across the sky. Things really had gone better than he could have hoped. Miguel had welcomed him, his mother was well, and Nancy was a treasure. Sam had told him to expect a surprise, but a sister was more than he had ever dreamed Sam could be suggesting.

The other diners seemed to accept him well enough. Pat Casey shook his hand, causing Emerson to remark that Pat was friendlier than his daughter had been. Cathy Jordan seemed to be a fine girl and he looked forward to meeting her family. They had moved in from Texas four years after he left Morgantown, buying out the widow Doney.

Still, he knew there must be trouble on the range. It was unheard of for a lady like Carmella Casey to be bothered in any way. That the three toughs even considered it, indicated that Taylor's riders were on the prod.

Pat Casey failed to mention the station incident to Emerson, which meant that Carmella hadn't told him. That pointed to Carmella shielding Pat from a possible confrontation with Taylor and his men. Taylor must be a man of some power for Carmella to worry for Pat!

He had grown very comfortable sailing the sea, but standing in New Mexico watching the sun rise, seemed right. This was his home and he would make the most of it.

At the breakfast table, Emerson began questioning Miguel, who sat at the head of the table. "Senor, a ranch this size usually has more than three hands, although I'll admit these eat enough for six. Do they also do the work of six?"

With that, all three turned their attention to Emerson. Old Pedro, who he vaguely remembered from the past, had grown heavy and slow. His dark eyes showed no emotion and he returned to his meal.

The man called Shorty, and it seemed every ranch had one, gave a quick grin, but never missed a mouthful. He seemed to have some humor and gave the impression of competence.

The third hand, introduced as Ray Brown, merely glanced at Emerson and went back to eating. He appeared to be a typical drifter, not working too hard and ready to move on.

"This ranch has had as many as a dozen vaqueros. I should have more than three," Miguel responded. "Just over two years ago, a wealthy man named Tom Taylor bought the Morgan ranch. Joe Morgan was a fine man. As you know, the town was named after him. After Mrs. Morgan died and Joe's health began to fail, he decided to sell out and move to Santa Fe, near his daughter."

"This Taylor immediately stopped anyone from driving their herd through Blanco Pass, which is the only access to Santa Fe, and controlled by the Morgan ranch, now the Lazy T. Joe Morgan had filed on the land at the base of the pass, and now Taylor owns it. He backs his legal right with enough toughs to make it stick. A couple of small ranches near Taylor have already sold out to him. He has made it very clear he would be interested in buying any and all ranches in the basin, at a low price, of course. We are denied access to our market. Most ranches have reduced the number of riders. With no income, it is difficult to keep any help."