Is that Dueling Banjos I Hear?

Story Info
Chris visits his country cousins.
25.4k words
4.54
77.2k
84
12
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Are you starting to get hungry yet, Chris?"

Those words were the first either Jerry Travers or his son had spoken in the last 2 hours of driving, they had been on the road for almost 4 now.

Coming out of his inner thoughts, Chris answered "Yeah, I guess so."

"We will have to stop for gas soon, how about if I find a place to get lunch?"

"Fine by me." Chris responded before going back to his thoughts.

Chris and his dad were driving from their home in Ohio to visit his father's brother in rural southeastern Kentucky. Chris was just out of high school and had thought this summer would be his best yet, but now he was certain his future would be ruined. He thought back to where things had started and how they got to this point.

Chris's father was a Master Sergeant in the Air Force, a career man with 23 years in so far. Chris had lived all over the United States and even been in a few foreign countries during his 18 years. As a military brat, he had learned to make friends quickly and easily, but also learned that developing close relationships with any of those friends would only lead to disappointment due to the inconsistencies of military assignment. A friend might be there one day and gone the next, parents transferred to a post half way round the world. Family was the only certainty and Chris had a good relationship with his parents. His mother, Helen, had been an Army brat herself, so was familiar with the life and the compromises one had to make.

Chris had never made any close friends until now, but things changed for him during the final year of high school. Mr. Gordon, his English teacher, had paired him with Melissa Myers for a semester long project. He had known her before to say hello, but nothing more. As they were required to spend more time together for the assignment, they became better friends then a spark of romance appeared.

Chris did not have much experience with girls and Melissa had been sheltered by her over-protective parents, so their journey was a slow one. Chris suggested that they stop for Cokes one day after a library session and then they decided to see a movie together. Melissa had held his hand during the movie and gave him a quick kiss afterward before heading home. They progressed to making out slowly, Chris finally getting the courage to touch her breast through her clothes. Melissa did not stop him, but it took another 2 weeks before he found the courage to go under her clothes.

It was understood between them that they would go to the prom together. Both had a good time dancing every dance together and when it ended, each took the other's virginity in the back seat of Chris's father's car. It was not as intimate and romantic as they would have liked, but after some fumbling and uncertainty, they had managed to do the deed. Each thought this was the best day in their short lives.

Two weeks later, school was out and Chris and Melissa went to the movies. Afterward, they found a deserted spot in the country where they parked and soon found themselves in the back seat. This time, they had only gotten partially undressed when the beam of a flashlight and the rap of a baton on the window had caused sudden panic. The police officer normally would have told the people he found parked on this road to get dressed and move along, but he recognized Melissa. He had gone to school with her father and had escorted them back to Melissa's house where he described in detail what he had found them doing.

Melissa's father went ballistic, shouting that Chris had raped his daughter and stolen her innocence. He demanded that the officer arrest Chris and he would press charges. Both Chris and Melissa were 18, so statutory rape was a no-go. Her father said that Chris had forced himself on a defenseless girl and demanded again that he be arrested. Melissa, for the first time in her life, stood up to her father and stated that she had not been forced to do anything she did not want to do. Chris had not forced himself on her and everything they did was completely consensual. She added that she had also enjoyed everything. This last only served to enrage her father who then lunged at Chris. The officer and Melissa's mother had to step in between them to keep her father from doing something he would regret. He kept shouting that she was only saying what she did because she was afraid of Chris standing there. Melissa told him that she was not afraid of Chris and he would just have to accept that she was not a child any more.

The officer could not do anything to Chris with Melissa vouching for him, so escorted Chris home. Once there, the officer told Chris to stay away from Melissa. Chris had a thought about telling the cop to fuck off, that he and Melissa were old enough to make their own decisions, but thought better and just walked inside his house.

Chris told his parents what had happened and each was supportive, although they tried to tell him that making out in the back seat of a car parked on a deserted road was not really very smart. They did not try to lecture him on the sex thing, he had been given the birds and bees talk years before. Chris was glad they did not have big issues with the event, but even though they did not elaborate, he got the impression that each had spent some time in the back seat when they were younger, and not necessarily with each other.

Chris was hopeful that things could get back to the way they had been, but Melissa's father was not going to let that happen. He had called Chris's father and told him he was going to pursue the issue. Jerry had tried to tell Mr. Myers it was just young love, but her father would not hear it. He would not let it go, and finally Jerry had just hung up on him. Chris tried to call Melissa on her cell phone, but the number had been disconnected. He assumed that since her father paid the bill, he had either changed her number or taken the phone away from her and cancelled the account. Melissa's father continued to make threats and try to stir up trouble for several days afterward.

Chris's father was not overly worried that his son would face any serious problems, but after some talk with his wife, he thought that getting Chris away from the situation would give the father time to cool off. He knew that if Chris was around, it would not take him long to try to find a way to get back with Melissa. He did not blame Chris for wanting to see her again, but knew that time would resolve some of the issues if nothing else happened for a while. To this end, he decided that his son should go to visit his uncle and cousins in Kentucky. Chris had never met any of them and Jerry thought a month away from the situation here at home would help to settle things. Of course, he did not consult with Chris before making the decision and that did not sit well with Chris when he got the news.

*****

Chris was again brought back to the present when he felt the car slow and pull into the gas station. He was surprised to see someone come out and ask his father what he wanted. In Ohio, everything he had ever seen was self serve and it was different to see someone else volunteer to pump the gas. After the tank was filled, they drove a bit down the road before his father spotted a diner and pulled into the lot. Inside, they went to a table and Jerry sat down. Chris asked him to order a burger, fries and Coke for him if the waitress came by, he had to take a leak. As he came back from the bathroom, he saw the waitress just turning to take the order to the kitchen. She was about mid 30's and a bit chunky to Chris's mind, but he noticed his father checking out her ass as she walked away. Chris had never seen him do that before, but maybe with his wife far away now he felt more comfortable doing it here. Chris sat down and his father took his turn in the bathroom before returning to join his son. They talked about the ride so far, but the conversation was not very inspired on either side. The waitress soon brought their meal and again Chris was surprised to see his father checking her out from the front this time. Maybe being back in the area he had grown up in made him do things he might not in other places. Chris forgot his musing and realized that he was pretty hungry, so went to work on the food.

After they had finished eating, the rest of the journey awaited them. Chris went back to his solitary thoughts in the car. He again tried to reconcile in his mind why he was the one to be punished if both of his parents said he had done nothing wrong. He had been looking forward to a nice easy summer, not just with Melissa, but with other friends he would likely never see again as they went off to college and jobs. He did not know what to expect from this trip, but knew that he had heard his father, after a beer or 2 too many, refer to his family as a bunch of hillbillies and rednecks. He did not know a lot about his father's family, and Jerry was not very forthcoming when he would ask.

After the decision to go to Kentucky had been made for him, his mother had taken him aside and told him what little she knew of her husband's family. Jerry was the oldest of 4 children, having 2 brothers and a sister. He would be going to see his uncle Willie, the next oldest and the only one of the siblings Jerry really kept in touch with. His other brother, Buck, had moved further back into the hills and had dissociated himself with his brother Jerry, claiming that by leaving the hills and joining the Air Force, he had deserted his family. Helen did not know much about him, and even less about Jerry's sister Loretta, the youngest of the 4. All she could get him to say about her was that she wasn't right. No specifics, just not quite right whatever that meant. Jerry had left the hills of Kentucky when he was 20 to join the military, and as far as she knew, he had never been back.

Jerry had met Chris's mother when he was stationed in Texas, and they married and soon Chris came along. Helen was an accountant and worked in the Finance office on the base. Her father had been career military and had retired from the Army after 33 years, finding a job selling real estate in Texas rather than just retire to play golf. As they had talked, Helen told Chris she was sorry that he had to pay the price for Melissa's father's intransigence, but it was for the best. Chris knew deep down that she was probably right, but he would never admit that to his parents, particularly his father who he suspected was the main proponent of the idea. Chris would also never admit it to himself.

*****

2 more hours in the car brought the pair to their destination. Chris had watched the progress of the trip, seeing the scenery change from the flat green fields and farms of Ohio to the hills and dirty roads of rural Kentucky. The change was dramatic and Chris wondered how something could be so different just hours from his own home. His father had commented as they drove that very little had changed in the years since he had been away. He had no trouble finding his way to his brother's home and soon they were getting out of the car to say hello to Willie, his wife and 2 sons. Jerry greeted his brother enthusiastically but Chris was more reserved. He thought the house was small and in disrepair and that the family was loud and boisterous. They certainly did not act like the people Chris had met in his life of Air Force travel. He tried to make the best of it as he was introduced to his Uncle Willie, Aunt Sadie, and cousins Bobby and Jimmy ray. They went inside the house where Willie offered them beer, but only Jerry accepted. Jerry and his brother started reminiscing so Chris was left to himself as Sadie went to check on dinner and his cousins took off somewhere without saying where or why. Chris had a feeling that this was going to be a long month.

*****

Willie had set up a cot in Jimmy Ray's room for Chris since he was the younger of the cousins. He was 2 years older than Chris and his brother 3. Both Bobby and Jimmy ray came back late and even though they tried to talk to Chris, they did not find much in common so all went to sleep.

At breakfast the next day, Sadie worked on a huge meal of biscuits and gravy along with some grits. Chris had never tasted them, but knew what they were. He thought the whole breakfast was way too much starch, but after giving the nutritional value a bit of thought, went to work eating. He found he liked the food and soon had a second plate under his belt. His father would be leaving shortly, he did not have time to stay. Chris wished he could return with his father today, but knew it was pointless to try to change something that seemed set in stone.

After Jerry left, Chris's cousins said that they had to do their chores and asked if he wanted to go along. They each had a 4 wheel ATV and would be looking after the few cows and pigs they raised. They got milk from the cows until fall when some would be butchered for their own use and the rest sold to provide money to survive winter. They also farmed a few acres of tobacco and alfalfa which the boys checked on. Chris rode in Jimmy Ray's 4 wheeler and they covered a lot of ground, but really did not do much physical work. They would race each other and take curves at speeds Chris thought dangerous, but they managed to survive and they had finished all they needed to do by about 3.

They returned to the house where the boys got a beer for themselves but Chris chose water. He was not much of a drinker and did not particularly like the taste of beer. Bobby suggested that since it was hot they go to the swimming hole. Chris protested that he did not have a suit but each cousin told him they didn't either.

"We swim buck naked, city boy. Does that bother you?" Bobby had taunted.

Chris had never been skinny dipping, but said he could handle it.

Just before they were ready to mount up, bobby pulled a foil pouch from his pocket and offered it to Chris. "Dip?"

Chris knew it was tobacco, but had never tried it. "No thanks."

OK, don't say I didn't offer." Bobby pulled a big wad from the pouch and put it into his mouth. Soon he was spitting brown juice and Chris could see a sticky brown accent stripe down one side of his ATV.

With Bobby leading the way, the boys took off cross country. They went through open fields, wooded paths, crossed several paved roads without slowing or looking beforehand and repeated the mornings reckless driving. They rode for close to half an hour before pulling up next to some large trees, Jimmy Ray telling Chris the pond was beyond those trees. As they dismounted, Bobby opened a bag he had strapped down in his ATV, extracting a Mason jar.

"Hey Jimmy Ray! Looky what I got. I went up to old man Cooney's place yesterday."

Chris only saw what looked like water in the jar, but bobby's brother shouted "Holy shit. He makes the best shine in the county."

They walked a few hundred feet into the trees before coming to a medium sized pond. The water was calm and the pond ringed by a circle of grass. Bobby and Jimmy Ray started stripping down so Chris joined them. He had showered with guys in gym class so was not bothered by being naked with others. Each put his clothes in a pile on the bank before wading into the cool water. They floated around for a while, splashing and dunking each other. After a bit, Bobby got out and Chris watched as he went around the pond and using a branch, caught a big rope that was hanging from a limb of a large tree. He hooked it on another branch, then backing up, took a running start grabbing the rope before swinging on it out over the water and then letting go and falling in. He came up whooping and hollering. Jimmy ray got out to take his turn then each looked at Chris as if to say "You're up." Chris wasn't sure about doing something like that and said so.

"You just a big pussy, city boy??" Bobby baited.

Chris said he would think about it, so each of the other two took a second swing. Bobby got out after his turn and retrieved the jar he had displayed before, then opened the lid and took a big swig, making a face and yelling as the liquid went down his throat. Jimmy ray took his turn and followed his brother's lead, yelling and whooping just as loudly. He handed the jar to Chris and the other 2 looked at him expectantly. Chris wasn't sure again but did not want to look too afraid to try something new. What harm could a little sip do, he thought. Chris slowly raised the jar to his lips and took a small sip. It smelled like turpentine and although he had never tasted turpentine, was certain this tasted worse.

"What the hell was that?" Bobby asked. "You barely got your lips wet. Take a man sized drink, pussy!"

Chris held his nose and took a good slug, feeling the liquid burn first his tongue, then all the way down his throat and finally burn in his belly. His vision went white for a few seconds, and then slowly came back into focus. He was sweating and his head was about to explode. His cousins were laughing and congratulating him at the same time. The shine had taken his breath away for a bit, but when he was able to speak, he announced "Where the hell is that rope. I ain't no pussy." He walked around to the side of the pond where the rope hung, and set it up preparing to swing out over the water. Taking a running start, Chris grabbed the rope and swung out as far as he could. He came up whooping and hollering just like his cousins. Chris climbed out and went back to do it again. He set up the rope and tried to beat his first mark. As he came up in the water, his head started to spin a bit, but the coolness of the water was helping him to calm himself. Looking around, he did not see either of his cousins. He got out of the water and took a walk around, looking and shouting for them. It was then that he noticed that the clothes he had been wearing when he arrived were also gone. "Son of a bitch" he thought. "What are they up to now?" He continued to shout for them, but after 10 minutes realized it was useless at this point. He sat down on the grass and decided he would just have to wait for them to return.

Sitting on the grass naked in the warm sunshine, Chris started to calm down a bit. He was still pissed that his cousins would run off with his clothes, but at the same time, spending time naked out here was kind of exhilarating. As he mused, he thought it would be even better if Melissa was here with him, naked also of course. He had thought of her often during the past few days since the incident with her father, but had not been able to see or speak with her. Her cell did not work any more and he knew if he called the house, he would likely get an earful from her father who was undoubtedly monitoring the caller ID. He had sent her an email after finding out about his forced vacation, telling her only that he would be visiting his uncle. He was intentionally vague, no way of knowing who might be reading. He had told her he would get in touch with her once he got back, no specifics about when that would be. Chris did not know if she got the email or who might be reading it, but since it did not bounce back, he assumed she might have read it. He continued to sit here in the grass, waiting for his cousins to return with his clothes and to take him back to their house.

Chris estimated that it had been close to an hour since he discovered that he was alone here. He had taken a little walk around the perimeter of the pond, looking behind some of the trees and bushes on the off chance that they had just hidden his clothes rather than taking the garments with them. No such luck and he had again found himself sitting in the warm sun.

As he sat there almost asleep, Chris thought he heard something from across the pond. It sounded to him as if someone was coming through the woods to the pond. Finally, he thought, they decided to come back. He got up, and then realized that he and his cousins had approached the pond from the other direction earlier this afternoon, and he had not heard the noise of the 4 wheelers, louder than usual with their mufflers removed. Was someone else coming to the pond? Was it an animal? What lived in these woods that might come to the water for a drink and be large enough to make noise sufficient to be noticed? Chris decided that he did not want to be sitting here on the bank naked without knowing what or who was coming. Now, the question was to hide in the woods or maybe get back in the water and try to stay out of sight. He didn't think either option a very good choice, but in the end decided to go into the water. There were some low hanging branches that he could use to cover his position and hopefully he could stay out of sight if he needed to until he would be able to get back out.