Key Chain Alarm

Story Info
It is hard to dump a cheating wife.
9.7k words
209.8k
174
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
PAPATOAD
PAPATOAD
3,331 Followers

Thanks to the Hip and Knee doctor for editing assistance.

There is no sex in this story. Sorry.

There was no doubt that I was going to miss my hobby-bench more than anything else. It was my sanctuary. The place that I could always come to when my soul needed healing. There was nothing wrong with my soul, it just seems like an interesting way to indicate that there was a degree of unhappiness in my life. Somewhere along the line, things fell apart. There was no specific time that I can pinpoint, because it came so gradually.

I am pretty handy about the house. I can fix almost anything. I hate to call in a repair man to do a simple task and pay him almost a whole day of my wages for a couple of hours of his time. Most of the time they do a shitty job anyhow. What I can't fix is my marriage.

The best way that I can explain it is to compare it to a fine piece of china. You can glue a broken plate back together, but it is never like the original. Once the marriage is broken, it can be repaired, but never returned to its original condition. I didn't want a repaired, broken plate.

After eighteen years of marriage, my wife, Tracey, decided that she wanted to experience other men; well at least one that I know about. By the time that I found out, it was too late to keep the plate from getting broken.

Being a little slow when it comes to relationships, I had assumed that things were fine. We married right out of high school and immediately had a daughter named Carly. Complications meant that there would be no more, but we were happy with what we had.

My job, as an auto body man, paid well, but there was no real future to it. I could always open up my own shop, but I never had a desire to own a business. Things were fine as long as the money was adequate. Tracey spent the evening taking night classes at the local community college. She was a little more ambitious than I was; actually a lot more ambitious.

When Carly started school, Tracey started to work. The extra money was nice and her job never seemed to affect our family life, except for the better.

With two incomes we were able to scrape up enough money to buy a small house. It was in a nice neighborhood and there was never any desire to move up to a bigger or better place. Everyone seemed happy for years.

Tracey never wasted money on frivolous things. She did dress and groom well, but always watched what she spent. My wardrobe expenses were usually limited to jeans and flannel shirts. She cleaned up well, but I always looked a little unkempt. I guess it was my bushy eyebrows and long hair. I wore my hair in a pony tail. I wasn't a want-to-be hippy or biker, I just liked my hair that way. Nobody ever teased me about it, because I had enough body bulk to intimidate them if necessary. There was only one downside to my grooming habits; sometimes I felt that Tracey was a little embarrassed when we went out. She never said anything, but I always felt it.

As Carly grew, Tracey started to spend more time at work. She was becoming quite the expert on the insurance claims business. She enjoyed her work because she was good at it. It wasn't long until she was bringing home more money than I was. I noticed it, but neither of us ever commented on it.

By the time Carly was in high school, Tracey had evolved into a sophisticated business woman. She was spending more money or clothing, but her income justified the extra expense. The trips to the beauty salon became more frequent as her status grew. She joined a local gym and spent several nights a week working out. She was turning into a well kept, attractive woman, and I was still a grungy, hairy embarrassment.

I guess the next step in the progression of our marriage was inevitable.

Over the years, my relationship with Carly grew. I was spending more time with her than her mother was and we developed a strong bond. Tracey was either at work or working at home. Family time seemed to go down as fast as Tracey's career went up.

Our personal time also went downhill. She was always too tired and I got the feeling that I was no longer the man that she used to dream about spending the rest of her life with.

I grew up in a public housing project. My mother was a single parent that raised my brother Robert and I by working as a waitress. It was hard for her, and we didn't make it any easier. We were constantly in trouble because that was the nature of life in the projects. A lot of my character traits came with me when I got married. I was rash and quick-tempered which landed me in juvenile hall a few too many times. Tracey was aware of the problem, but since we were married, I had kept it under control. I actually became a little placid.

As Tracey and I drifted apart, I started to spend more time in my basement hobby shop. It was a dank little hole, but I found tranquility there. I was upset about how my marriage was going, but had no idea what to do. I tried all the usual things like flowers and gifts. We would go out to eat at least once a week. I picked expensive places and got the good wine. Nothing seemed to work, so I crawled into my little hole at every chance that I got.

Carly was still the bright spot in my life, but I felt that I was letting her down also. I was defective as a father and a husband. Was it self induced or did Tracey impose those feelings on me? She loved me. She would never do that.

To keep my mind off of my shortcomings, I would sit for hours and make little electronic do-dads. They were gadgets that I could buy anywhere for next to nothing, but that were more fun if I made them myself. My first project was a fake video surveillance camera that moved back and forth and had a little flashing red light. It didn't do a damn thing, but I had fun making it. I know I could have bought the same thing for a couple of bucks, but there was no fun in that.

I made Carly a small panic button key chain. She never had to use it, but she let me know that she appreciated having it. As I got more experience the projects got a little more elaborate, but I never got to the point where I could be considered anything more that a tinkerer.

On weekends, Carly and I would visit yard sales and flea markets. She got retro clothes and I got old electronic and remote control toys. Tracey stayed at home.

It was two months ago when I started getting the feeling that Tracey was cheating. It didn't take me long at all to verify it. One of the men that she worked with, Todd Witcomb, was taking her to his apartment every Tuesday and Thursday for two hour lunches. I guess they could have been playing Scrabble or something like that, but I think we all know better. He was a good looking guy and drove a nice car. I had to assume that he was also articulate, well-educated, and good in the sack. I found it interesting that Tracey had not taken any great pains to hide this relationship. I didn't know if it was because she felt complacent or if she just didn't give a shit. The plate was broken. It couldn't be repaired. At this point I decided that something had to be done.

I spent the whole day getting things ready for my departure. Carly was starting college in three weeks. Everything was paid up for the first two semesters. I would miss her, but I felt that it was time to cut the apron strings. I took half of the savings account. I didn't bother doing anything about any of the other money matters. I didn't care. All I needed was enough to get away and get started over.

Filing for a divorce was too complicated and would not accomplish anything as far as I was concerned. I did have my lawyer draw up a power of attorney so that Tracey could sell the house. I also had papers prepared to sue Todd Witcomb and to sue Continental Memorial Insurance, since they both worked there. I didn't have much hope for either of them, but the lawyer was willing to try anything for a possible percentage. I told him to have at it.

I spent the most part of the evening working on my special alarm key chain. It was no longer a key chain, but it did have a quite loud alarm for such a little thing. It required a little modification to get it where I wanted it. First, I upped the battery to nine volts. This would make it louder and last longer. I rigged it up so that I could turn it on remotely and so that it could not be turned off. That little sucker would intermittently beep away until the battery died, or was killed. The whole thing fit into a three inch long piece of PVC plastic that had twenty holes drilled into it. A small antenna wire protruded out of one of the holes. When it was done, I fastened two PVC caps on each end and painted it flat black with BBQ paint. I don't know why I decided to paint it, but it did look a little sinister. If everything went as planned, the only way that it could be stopped would be to drop it into a toilet, or some other water. I tried making it water tight, but it muffled the sound too much.

Tracey had been in bed for a while now. It was no trouble at all for me to slide my homemade gadget into the lining of her purse, through a small hole that I made in one of the side pockets. I figured it would take at least five minutes for somebody to figure out where it was and then get it out of the bottom of the purse. That was long enough. All I was trying to do was piss her off before I left. I checked my work carefully and decided that there was no way that she would notice it.

I spent the next few hours loading things that I wanted into my truck. I picked up my body shop tools that afternoon along with my final check. I could get my clothing in the morning, after Tracey left for work. Everything was ready. I crashed on the sofa for the night.

"Daniel. Are you going to work today or you going to sleep all morning?" The sun had come up and my wife was dressed and ready for work.

"Sorry, dear. I got tied up working on a little project last night. I decided to just catch a few hours here."

"Are you going to eat anything?"

"I'll just have some coffee and an English Muffin.'."

"Okay. I'm going now. Rinse off your dishes before you leave."

She looked good, like she always did. I was going to miss her; at least for a while.

Tracey pulled out of the driveway and I grabbed some trash bags and headed for the bed room. It took less than five minutes to grab all the clothing that I needed or wanted. That was as far as I got.

"Dad, What the hell are you doing?"

"Carly? Aren't you supposed to be at school?"

"I already met all my curriculum requirements. Don't avoid my question."

I put the bags on the floor and looked at my daughter.

"Do you want some coffee?"

Carly managed a small laugh as we walked into the kitchen.

"You figured it out. Didn't you dad?"

I put the cup in front of her and tried to act cool. "Figured what out?"

"You finally figured out that mom was cheating on you?"

"What do you mean, 'finally'?"

"She has been meeting with this jerk for over six months now. Why did you wait until now to do something?"

"I only found out about two months ago."

"Damn it, Dad. It is not like she was hiding it or anything."

"I was blindsided. I wasn't expecting it so I wasn't looking for it. By the time I figured it out, it was too late."

"Too late for what?"

"I don't know. I guess too late to stop it."

"Dad, you can stop it, but you can't undo it."

"I know. I know. That's why I am leaving."

"Did you talk to her?"

"No. Did you?"

"Yeah. About two months ago. I asked her why she was doing it and she just looked at me and told me that I would understand in about ten years."

"She didn't give you any type of explanation?"

"Nothing. I got the feeling that she was annoyed with me for even asking."

"Apparently, she wasn't worried that you would tell me, because she kept seeing him."

"For some dumb reason, I think she wanted to get caught."

"I was thinking the same thing. But why?"

We sat quietly for a few moments.

"Do you know where you will be going?"

"No."

"What are you going to do?"

"Pound metal, I guess. I don't know anything else."

"Are you getting a divorce?"

"No. I'll let your mother take care of that."

"Is there anything I can do to help?"

"Watch over her until you leave for college. I trust that you will be all right. I tried to take care of everything that I could ahead of time."

"I am fine, Dad. You look after yourself."

I picked up the cups and put them in the sink. I never did make that English Muffin.

"What are you doing with your boat and stuff?"

"Do you remember my friend Felix from the project?"

"Yeah. Are you still seeing him? I thought he was bad news."

"He is. Felix is about the only guy around that I trust. I need him to help me with a few things. He is going to take care of my boat for me."

"You mean you are giving him the boat?"

When I smiled, she smiled back. I loved my daughter.

Twenty minutes later, I was hooking the boat up to the truck. When I got the boat, I was hoping that it was something that the family could enjoy together. Unfortunately, it was not Tracey's cup of tea. She hated the boat and the water. Carly and I went by ourselves a few times, but it wasn't the same. After that, the boat just sat by the garage. I would not miss it.

I had a few shotguns and a deer rifle that my dad gave me before he moved to Florida. Felix would get more use out of them than I would, even though he didn't hunt. I piled all of my Snap-On and power tools into the back of the boat. Mister Handyman had retired.

Felix was barely awake when I got to his place. He had two mixed breed girls living with him, but it became quickly evident that they were not morning people. Felix got us a couple of early morning beers and the girls when back to bed.

When I was fifteen, Felix and I broke into a golf course, maintenance shed. The sprinkler system for all eighteen holes was old and had been done in copper. The maintenance shed had bins full of copper fittings necessary to maintain the system. I decided that a lot of money could be made by reselling the copper and Felix was more than eager to join with me. Needless to say, we got caught, or at least I did. Felix got away. The cops knew that there were two of us, but I always insisted that it was only me. I got two years probation for being dumb, but made a life-long friend, because I kept my mouth shut.

Felix was as white as I was, but insisted in talking as if he was from the ghetto instead of the projects. There was not much difference, but Felix had to get by in a different environment than I did. He adapted to his world and I couldn't fault him for that.

"Danny. What the hell are you doing dragging that boat around? Are we going fishing?" He smiled and took a big swig from the long neck.

"It's a present. A present for my best buddy."

"You must be talking about me. You ain't got no other friends." The smiles turned to a little laugh.

"Felix. I am leaving town for awhile and I need you to take care of my stuff while I am gone."

"Are you coming back?"

"Probably not."

"Then I presume you will be leaving me the title also."

He laughed again when I slid the boat and trailer title across the kitchen table and then shook his head.

"You're serious, man." He paused. "I can't buy your boat, Danny. You can get good bucks for it, just about anywhere."

"It's a trade Felix. I am not selling it to you. I need you to do something for me, or should I say, have something done for me."

His smile got bigger. "Danny. Who the hell do you want killed? You know I will do anything for you."

Now I was smiling. "Not killed, Felix. I just want him to spend a little time in the emergency room or the Recovery Ward at one of the Hospitals. Don't kill him. Maim him, cripple him, or just hurt him, but don't kill him."

"That is a lot of boat for such a little thing."

"Well, if you can, I would like you to do it every six weeks for six months, or till he leaves town. Whichever comes first."

"Damn man. What the hell did this guy do? Did he take Tracey from you?" As soon as the words left his mouth, he realized that he made a mistake.

"I am sorry, Danny. That was my bad. I never did know when to keep my mouth shut." He got up and pulled two more beers from the frig.

I pushed a 3X5 card across to him with the name, address and license number of Todd Witcomb.

"Wait a couple of weeks, okay?"

He looked at the card and then nodded towards the door.

The power tools and guns were gravy that he had not expected. He took them inside the house while I unhooked the boat. We talked for a few more minutes and then parted ways. I could trust Felix. A year ago I would have said that there were two people that I trusted, now there was just Felix.

It was Tuesday. Tracey and Todd walked out of the company building and got into his Lexus at eleven, right on the dot. Since I knew where they were going I had no trouble following them to Todd's apartment. There was nothing lovey-dovey going on as they were just acting like a married couple.

I gave them fifteen minutes to get settled in and then hit the button on the remote control. Nothing happened.

The damn thing didn't work.

What the hell did I do wrong?

I got out of the truck and walked closer to the apartment building and pressed the button again. Still nothing.

While I was trying to figure out what to do next, I decided to let the air out of Todd's tires. I might as well make myself useful. I only did the two tires on the side away from the building.

In desperation, I walked right up to the side of the building and tried again. It finally worked. I was outside of the apartment building and heard the noise; loud and clear. The sound inside had to be really loud. It blasted for about a second and then paused for two seconds and then repeated. Everybody in the apartment complex was now being pleasured by my little toy.

I was smiling as I walked back to the truck. Halfway down the block, I could still hear the beeping. Things were going better than expected.

My lawyer was having the law suit papers delivered to Todd and to the Company at two o'clock. I would be gone by then.

Carly was waiting for me when I got home. She gave me a card with her address at college and her cell phone number, which I already had. She had a few extra things for me to take that I had missed and had even packed me a lunch so that I wouldn't have to stop until I got out of the state. She actually explained that when she gave it to me. We both had a good laugh and a hug. I left the power of attorney and my wedding ring on the kitchen table. Carly stated that she would be more than happy to explain things to her mother.

My body shop tools were in the back of the truck under the bed cover. My personal stuff was jammed behind the seat in the cab. As I pulled away from the house for the last time, my cell phone rang. It was Tracey. I turned the phone off. It would have been interesting to hear what she had to say, but I refused to give her the satisfaction.

Interstate 81 South was the best escape route. I didn't stop until I hit Chattanooga. It was a sleazy motel, but there was a bar next door. Big mistake. I drank way too much and then discovered that while I was sleeping it off, one or more, of the local boys borrowed all of my body shop tools. The back of the truck was picked clean, but they didn't touch anything in the cab. I don't know if that was because of integrity or maybe they just couldn't carry any more.

I showered, shaved, and put on fresh clothes. After a much needed breakfast at the local Waffle House, I hit the road for Nashville. I was kicking myself for being so damn dumb and trying to figure out what to do next.

Without tools, I wasn't even going to try and get a body shop job. I settled in at one of the Krystal's in the area and started going through the help wanted ads. Most of the jobs were commissioned sales or minimum wage jobs. The ones that fell in to normal categories, I wasn't qualified for until I hit a small, three-line ad.

PAPATOAD
PAPATOAD
3,331 Followers