King of Hearts Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Caitlyn felt her heart drop. "You could have just come to the office and asked, you didn't need to invest money and time into the business." Before he could say anything, she turned and went to sit behind her desk, pulling up her schedule on her company computer. She had another one for King of Hearts.

"I can give you Katiya. She's one of the best when it comes to ferreting out information the cops don't want to give." She looked up, seeing a stubborn look come over his face.

"No, I want you."

"That's impossible," she said shortly. "If we work together, Erich, you and I both know what is going to happen and it isn't a good idea."

"Why not?" He looked like a petulant little boy who was just told he couldn't have seconds on desert.

"Because, when you get tired of playing James Bond, I'll still be here. This is all I have, it's my life and not some game. If we were to get involved, Erich, and then break up, what do you think would happen?"

"You seem to enjoy 'what ifs'," he growled. "So here's one for you. What if we don't get tired of each other? What if we make a go of this and stay together? Do you want to give up that chance?"

Caitlyn felt the headache his magic fingers had massaged away slowly returning. "I'll take your case, Erich," she said finally, too tired to argue with him anymore this night. "But I won't sleep with you."

He looked like he wanted to argue but then he just nodded. "Thank you." Rising, he went to the door. "I'll let you get your work done so you can get home. See you tomorrow?"

"Yes, bring in any paperwork you've gathered on the accident as well as the police report, okay?"

"I will." He turned and walked out, closing the door quietly behind him.

Caitlyn stared at the door, her eyes full of the confusion she felt. She wanted badly to go to the door, open it and call him back. She wanted to drop to her knees in front of him, to take him into her mouth and feel his pleasure. She lifted her hand, meaning to reach for the painting Erich had left on the desk. She was shaking, badly.

"Work, girl. It's what we can count on."

With a sigh, she opened the canister and pulled out the painting, unrolling it gently on her desk. Opening the second drawer on her desk, she grabbed her black light.

Shining it over the painting, a smile turned up the corners of her mouth as a faint glow lit the room. That was good enough for her. She rolled it again, letting it slide gently in the canister before turning to one of the bookshelves in her office. Pressing the small switch that blended in with the wood of the shelving, she waited as it slowly slid back, exposing a large wall safe.

Caitlyn pressed the buttons hurriedly, pulling open the steel door and deposition the canvas inside. Locking it back up, she slid the bookshelf back into place and then stretched, yawning so widely that her body shook with it.

She had notes she should review, especially since now she'd be able to take the client meeting in the morning. "Nap then work," she decided, eyeing her couch. She sank down onto it, sighing in pleasure and plucking out the few hair pins that Erich's fingers hadn't found. Within minutes, she was asleep.

12