Kros Voyeh

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"As was mine." The hungry way Draeseth looked at her was nearly indecent. "I only require one wife. One who loves me and shows me joyfully. I have no ambitions that require furthering, and a shrewd woman would not find that appealing."

"As if what a woman finds appealing is taken into consideration." Lislora looked at him disapprovingly, not only for the way he was eyeing the Aran woman.

"It should be!" Isonei frowned and took her hand. "When you marry you don't expect to find your husband appealing?"

"I was married, Lady Isonei, and I did not find him appealing. He was older than my father and, thankfully, already had an heir." Lislora studied the naive woman's face wondering why this seemed to baffle her.

"Burgath said it's the women who press for marriage. Why would you-"

Draeseth interrupted the Aran woman, speaking in Torgan, "My brother gave her a very simplified description of Torgan marriage. I told you, Lislora, she doesn't understand. Aran men have more than one wife, and the wives each have more than one husband. They may pair themselves for ambitious reasons but pleasure is foremost in their minds. She cannot comprehend that you would marry for a reason other than desire."

"She needs to understand our ways. If she doesn't understand that men can be dangerous to a woman, or that a woman must look to her father or husband for protection, how will she know to look to you for that protection?"

"I give it without her asking."

At her pointed look, he grudgingly tried to explain it in Aran, "Her father pressed for it. He was ill and she had no brothers. Dying and leaving a daughter unmarried is a shameful thing. It leaves her unprotected. She was married to the best of what was available to him."

To Lislora's shock the woman looked suddenly furious, "Aren't you her cousin? If she needed protecting why wouldn't you do it? Why would you let her be forced into a marriage against her will? How is that protection?"

"As a widow, I have more freedom and less need to be protected. I no longer have suitors, and I would refuse them if I did." Lislora patted her hand soothingly. "There is nothing a man has to offer worth enduring that a second time."

"If you had a suitor you loved and who loved you, it would be different." Draeseth's tone and the look he gave suggested he would blame her if this went poorly.

Before Lislora could find a way to salvage the moment, Isonei's anger passed as quickly as it had come and seemed to leave sadness in its wake. "He's been trying to persuade me that marriage isn't truly as terrifying as it seems to me. I'm slowly realizing there is a great deal more to fear than I had expected." The Aran's wan smile made her feel wretched.

As she rose to gaze out of the window as if she wished to be anywhere but in Draeseth's Keep, the Torgan Prince began to grind his teeth in anger and frustration.

"I didn't mean to upset her. I didn't want her to have concerns about an unmarried woman in the house. I'll explain to her that I had to take care of my elderly husband and-"

He cut her off with a gesture as Krouth approached.

"If I may I suggest taking her to the winter garden, your Highness? Lady Isonei will enjoy the flowers and she's been speaking longingly of spending time with you."

Draeseth inclined his head and looked toward the pensively staring woman, "Isonei?"

Krouth moved to the Aran woman's side, "Lady Isonei, You should come away from the window, you will catch a chill. Perhaps you would like to see the winter garden. I can have hot tea brought to you there."

"I'd like to finish my letters."

"I will have some furniture brought for your use." Draeseth rose from his chair and gathered her letters. "Everything she requires to lounge and write will be brought to the winter garden, see to it." He offered his arm with a scowl, "Walk with me, wife."

Isonei seemed subdued as she crossed to take it. Her cousin led the woman out without a further glance in her direction.

"I have things to arrange, but we should speak, Lady Lislora." Krouth gave her a speculative look. "I've learned disapproval must be shown more carefully."

"I didn't mean to upset her."

"She's been fragile since her arrival in Torga. Lady Isonei is, however, sweet-natured. Outbursts like that are rare."

"Prince Draeseth asked me to help her learn her duties and proper behavior. I need to learn more about the woman and how to approach her without upsetting her." Lislora inclined her head. "I will be arranging my things in my room when you finish the task his Highness has set."

°°°°°°°°°°

Lislora had finished overseeing the last of her things being put in their places for her stay when Draeseth's servant returned to speak to her. The two maids filed out without a word and she reminded herself that the man had been castrated, being alone with him wasn't entirely unconscionable. Despite that, she still felt uneasy.

"What is it you feel I should know about Lady Isonei?"

"She doesn't require deference. Treating her gently as if she were a particularly fragile child will keep you in her good graces. However, she draws very strong emotions from his Highness. Openly telling him that they are not well suited will strain your relationship." The servant glanced around the room, "I suggest a more... subtle approach. The Lady isn't capable of running a household even if she could speak Torgan.

"I will suggest that you perform those duties while Brother Odgar works to reclaim her. Show his Highness what a virtuous and competent Torgan Lady is capable of, and even if she can be reclaimed, he will see the difference between you for himself. It should be enough to right this mistake."

"He said she wouldn't understand why they need to be separated, but from watching them... I think he encourages her to be inappropriate."

"He does. I will speak to Brother Odgar and Prince Draeseth will be persuaded to keep himself separate from her."

"Won't Lady Isonei protest? If he puts her aside she'll be furious."

"The Lady isn't prone to fits of temper. She's childlike and eager to please, I would go so far as to say she's a bit simple. Keeping her distracted should pose no difficulty and offering her a place in a convent when his Highness comes to his senses will suffice."

Conspiring to send the woman to a convent felt wrong. Lislora shook her head, "Perhaps another husband could be found for her? Or she could be sent back to Ara-"

The sour scowl on the servant's face brought her up short.

"Lady Lislora, Lady Isonei requires the protection from temptations that a convent would provide and her gentle nature would suit a Sister. In Ara, she was permitted, if not encouraged to associate with demons. I would not send a child to Mezaldir, nor would I send Lady Isonei."

Inclining her head slightly, Lislora quietly offered, "Prince Draeseth said she was like one of the children of Krugorim."

"An apt parallel. I don't believe the woman has ever felt shame, that she should is beyond her comprehension. She requires protection from herself and the evils of the world."

She hesitated for a moment, "He said he cannot bear to lose her."

"Aran women spend their lives in the wanton pursuit of pleasure; Lady Isonei, for all that she is innocent in some ways, is the same. His Highness is driven by the desire she stirs to keep her. His father's influence and his brothers' encouragement, no doubt, led him to her bed and he's been snared by lust. In time, his mind will clear.

"I have his best interests in mind, I assure you, Lady Lislora. I have no desire to cause either of them unnecessary pain. Now that his Highness has returned to Torga and is resuming his prayers he will become more himself again."

"He stopped praying?" Lislora eyed the servant in surprise, her cousin was one of the most religious men she knew.

"He did. They are still sporadic. Surprisingly, Lady Isonei encourages him to pray. She is not yet reclaimed but she is a religious woman herself. Thankfully, the Aran priests do not encourage prayer. They encourage trust in those around you."

"Perhaps that's why she's so... peculiar." She tried not to grimace.

"The Lady will be easy to befriend. I suggest you do, if she has no friends at all she may try to seek out his Highness."

"I'll try."

"Once you've spent some time with her, Lady Lislora, you'll see that it's difficult to dislike her." Krouth offered a shallow bow and left the room.

Rubbing her arms, Lislora glanced around her again. She had her doubts the servant's plan would work as he expected, but despite her cousin's obvious affection for the strange Aran woman they didn't seem well suited. Praying on the matter would be advisable.

She'd never felt touched by the hand of Ganas or quite believed that the Kamruses were intimately guided by him, having seen some of the politics that went into their appointments during her brief visits to the Torgan Court, but praying did sometimes help clear her mind.

Moving through the house to the door closest to the sacellum, Lislora didn't bother having her cloak fetched. It was barely cool enough to consider one for such a short walk. The fresh bite of the air felt welcome and clean as she purposefully strode toward the small domed building.

The shape of the windows and the arch of the door made her think of the larger temple in Nemauros but this one had always felt more comfortable. Stepping inside she couldn't help but smile as she looked around at the painted walls. The murals depicting her great Uncle's favorite scenes of the saints, Brenlough, Arlanoch, Ladrim, and Igrim, but his favorite... She looked at the glass rendering of Saint Mallach. The carved and painted wooden piece he'd been so proud of had been replaced by Draeseth and while this one was beautiful she wished he'd kept the old one.

Lislora took a place on one of the kneelers farther back meant for the household. Using those in the front always seemed wrong unless her cousin was here to invite her. Closing her eyes, she bowed her head and took a breath. Before she could begin, the door opened and she looked up with an annoyed frown.

"I don't like leaving them alone together. He found it so easy to deceive the woman in the Dalcur I find it difficult to trust his word when he says he won't lay a hand on her or allow her to-"

"We are not alone, Brother Jannun." The older of the two priests gave her a rueful smile. "Forgive us for intruding on your prayers."

"Yes, please." The younger priest bowed.

"Of course." Lislora inclined her head graciously. "I'd actually come to pray about my cousin's behavior. He was the man I've always known and respected when he arrived to fetch me, but the moment he saw the Aran... He became different. The Lady is peculiar and the effect she has on him," Lislora hesitated, "concerns me."

"Halloc Aurim purified her and freed her from demonic influence in the Dalcur. It might have been better if she'd gone to Gogmenos before coming here to be certain she was thoroughly cleansed, but her delicate health would have made the journey too taxing. I promise you, Lady, her peculiarity is due to her being Aran and not from anything unholy clinging to her." The older priest smiled at her reassuringly, "We have observed her carefully."

"She was under demonic influence?" Lislora glanced toward the door.

"From the things said by Lerians that have been reclaimed, we have long suspected the Dagas are demons. They tried to prevent us from freeing her from their influence." The younger priest opened his mouth as if he intended to speak further on the matter but the older priest gripped his arm.

"Brother Jannun, you should not frighten a Lady with such tales when the danger has passed."

"Yes, Brother Brenough. Perhaps we could recite some cleansing prayers to clear the air?"

"That would be-"

The door opened again and Brother Odgar hurried through it, "I looked in on them and I think his Highness may seek me out to chide me. The Lady was reading him the letters she'd written to her brothers and they were sitting chastely on separate ends-" He stopped and blinked at her for a moment, "Lady Lislora. I-I didn't see you there."

"Perhaps I should come back later to pray." Lislora moved to stand and Brother Brenough gestured for her to remain.

If it were possible for the old, heavy door to slam open, Lislora was certain that it would have as Draeseth shoved it open forcefully with a scowl.

"All I asked for was some time alone with my wife as she desired. In a glass house, there should be no need to intrude on us."

"Forgive me, your Highness." Brother Brenough bowed. "Lady Isonei is a sweet-natured child, but Arans have a licentious reputation for a reason. She could have been reading love letters or something more lascivious."

Draeseth made a loud sound of displeasure in his throat. "It would have settled my mind more if she had. Listening to her read aloud letters begging her father and brothers for forgiveness makes me wish to drop the gates to prevent her from trying to leave me."

"Forgiveness?" Lislora frowned thoughtfully.

"Her family was displeased at her choice and they made that displeasure very clear. One of her brothers struck her for it. She was warm to me in his presence."

"But you're a Prince of Torga..." Her brow furrowed.

"I'm a Torgan brute who is stealing her away from them. That she chose to come with me has earned her a share of their ire. Their displeasure pains her. My wife wants those she loves to be happy. Knowing they are angry and disappointed makes her miserable."

"Will you send her letters?" Brother Jannun frowned sternly.

"No. It will be better if they continue to think her dead. They would never allow her to be happy here."

"But..." Lislora felt her stomach sinking for the woman, "If they think she's dead, why is she writing to them? Doesn't she know? What will she think when she gets no answer if you don't send the letters?"

"She will think her husband is the man whose love she can rely on." He gave her a stern look, "You will not tell her, cousin, the truth would only bring her grief. My Isonei cannot return to Ara now that we know what the Dagas are. Daga Liadith claimed her as his daughter and Lord Eliorith could only protest. He will be forced to accept their claim to her to do business in Leria."

Lislora inclined her head hesitantly, "Lying to her doesn't seem a good way to begin a marriage, cousin, but I won't speak of it to her."

"Even from Leria, Daga Liadith knocked the priests purifying her to the floor and every flame in the chamber, even of the lamps and the brazier used for creating the purifying smoke, flared green as their eyes do." Draeseth's grim expression made Lislora shiver as much as the implication of his words. "It is not safe for her to return."

"I didn't wish for Brother Jannun to frighten the Lady with such talk your Highness. Perhaps you would join her, for her peace of mind, as we recite some of the cleansing prayers."

With a growling grunt, Draeseth inclined his head. "That would be kind. I had not meant to frighten her. Lislora, will you join me?"

"Of course, cousin." Lislora rose carefully and followed him to the kneelers at the front.

As it always did, praying next to him felt comfortable, and the prayers the elderly priest recited, calling down Ganas' influence, asking him to cleanse and guide them, made her feel more at ease. The man had a warm and soothing voice.

When the prayers had ended, she and Draeseth walked back to the main house together in silence.

"I enjoy the quiet, but I have become so used to Isonei that it sometimes feels as if I've done something wrong when no one speaks." Draeseth murmured as they approached the door.

"I still enjoy comfortable silences, cousin. The prayers were soothing and the quiet afterward felt nice."

"Yes." He gave her a faint smile. "The only time Isonei is quiet is when she's unhappy with someone." Draeseth made an amused sound before adding, "Or asleep."

Lislora changed the subject as they were entering the house, "What are the tasks you need me to see to while Lady Isonei learns enough to take them over?"

"The running of the household. I will give you a budget to stay within and inform the maids that you are the one they should look to for the moment. Most of the tasks have been seen to by Krouth. He leaves extensive directions for them to follow in our absence when I travel with him. It may be wise to consult him on his methods to keep the house running smoothly."

"I have far fewer servants than you do, if you're certain it won't take your servant away from other tasks for me to consult with him..."

"He will find the time. It will be a lightening of his burdens to have someone take over the running of the house." Draeseth gestured for her to walk with him to his study. "There are some things that must be observed for Isonei's peace of mind. Arans eat no hare or swine. In time, I hope she may come to appreciate it but for now, the cook should serve more modest meats such as beef, goat, or poultry."

"Hare is a modest meat." Lislora gave him a disappointed glance and caught the smile that crossed his face.

"I know how much you enjoy hare, cousin. I enjoy it as well, but my wife..." He gave a growling grunt as he took his seat behind his desk, "The first time I tried to bring her out of Ara, we'd gone the day without eating. I think she said she'd had a bite of roast chicken and a few sips of honey wine that had been drugged to keep her from coming to me after I'd spoken with King Tamnaeuth.

"Shoban had killed a brace of hares and the servants made a stew. She was hungry, but she refused to eat it. Burgath chided me when I tried to press her into at least tasting it. If I wish to keep my wife content I must respect the customs of her people."

"I'll keep her preference in mind." Lislora settled into a chair in front of the desk. "She seems... sweet, cousin, like an affectionate child, but she's also," she hesitated again, "peculiar. I've never met someone so... trusting."

His face broke into a wide smile, "Yes. Arans are honest and they expect others to be as well, one of their few admirable traits. Daga Liadith told me that Arans may seem naive but they're more clever than many expect."

The thought of deceiving someone who had no expectation of being lied to made her feel uneasy. Lislora looked down at her hands and willed herself not to twist her fingers.

"I know you, cousin. I know you dislike lying to anyone and my wife's trusting nature makes it seem worse." Draeseth was smiling grimly as she lifted her head. "Trust that I know what is best for my wife. I love her, but she's not like you. She is impulsive and requires a strong man who will bring order to her life."

"You need order in yours, as well, cousin. Krouth mentioned that you haven't been praying."

Draeseth made an amused sound in his throat, "My brothers insisted that I should keep my religious leanings from my wife if I did not wish to frighten her away, but she prefers my company when I've been praying. Isonei says it makes me more pleasant to be around."

"I've always found you to be good company when you weren't being provoked." Lislora smiled as his face relaxed into the warm, comfortably contented expression she remembered from years past, an expression that had become increasingly rare.

A knock came at the door, prompting Draeseth to don a more stern expression, "Enter."

"Forgive the intrusion, your Highness, Lords Pelliath and Adach have come to request an audience."

The Torgan Prince made a loud, displeased sound, "I haven't been home for an entire day."