Lady in Red Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Gwen, you've dried out and warmed up, as well as covered up since yesterday," observed Ms. Walker when Gwen entered homeroom. "I have to tell you that I've never seen anything close to being as remarkable as that rescue yesterday. I still get chills when I think about it. Dave Kite has some amazing video posted, but with the news channels playing it so much, he hasn't had as many views as I'd expect. Our 'Lady in Red' is becoming a national treasure, rather than just a Spartan gem. Your interviews, both at the hospital and again this morning on national TV, were perfect."

Saturday morning found Laura, Kate, Paula, and Gwen traveling together in Paula's SUV. The conversation had been light until Gwen asked, "Laura, would you be able to prescribe birth control pills for me. I'm just asking if you would, not if you will, yet."

Laura looked back at Gwen and picked her words carefully. "Has Steve been pressuring you? I can prescribe birth control. I have many times, but I always interview girls your age thoroughly before I do. I need to know why you would feel you need them."

"No, he hasn't pressured me in any way! Steve and I are hardly ever alone, let alone think about sex. He'd never suggested anything like that. He's only kissed me a few times, but I can't stop thinking about him. When I look at him, I feel weak. You have no idea how he affects me when he takes his shirt off. He seems so masculine, yet gentle and kind. It's hard to describe," concluded Gwen.

"I know exactly what you mean. Do you think I'm made of stone or something? He's incredible, Gwen, but what you feel, what I feel, what Kate probably feels is normal lust. I wouldn't be surprised if some married women and mothers feel it, too, when they look at him. He's way beyond the normal, everyday, run-of-the-mill jock," chuckled Laura as she glanced at Paula. "But that's no reason to have sex with the guy. You can't win a man, or keep a man simply by having sex with him. Sex makes your bond stronger when everything else is in place. It strengthens love, but has been the ruin of many a person, male and female, when used for the wrong reason. When you decide that you love him, he loves you, and you want more than a kiss and a squeeze from the guy, let me know. Then, if your mom agrees, or you're living away from home, I'll prescribe the pills. Until then, no sex, and that's your doctor's orders!"

Paula remained silent as she considered her daughter's description of her feelings for Steve. She had to admit that it was no surprise that Gwen found Steve so attractive. Paula had been concerned for her daughter when she seemed uninterested in boys. She worried when she appeared to be unaffected by Steve's magnetism. Now she learned that Gwen was not immune to Steve's charms. A whole new list of concerns had been introduced into the equation. Gwen was turning into a woman and Paula resolved to do her best to help Gwen through the transition with as little pain, embarrassment, and heartbreak as possible.

The difference in her daughters also crossed Paula's thoughts. Lisa never spoke of birth control until Paula found a package of the pills in Lisa's suitcase when she came home for the Christmas break her freshman year of college. Gwen had always been one to meet a situation head on. If she wanted something, or to do something, she would face her parents with it and try to use reason to support her stance. Lisa had always been less confrontational. She practiced the philosophy that it was easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

"I told him that I wasn't going to have sex with him, even though he never indicated he wanted it. He seemed okay with that. I thought he'd probably drop me like a hot potato, but he still likes me. I'm amazed that he does," admitted Gwen. "But I've decided to work a little harder to keep him interested in me."

"A few kisses like Gwen gave Steve before he got on the bus this morning should go a long way," laughed Kate. "That redhead with the legs had better not show her beautiful face around Sparta again. Gwen's determined to make Steve forget she exists, and she has what it takes to do that. I didn't see any redhead pull Steve out of that river!"

The group arrived at the football team's hotel a few hours before kick-off. The ladies carried Laura's medical supplies to the room Steve shared with Billy. Billy opened the door when Laura knocked, and showed his relief.

"I was worried you guys would get here too late or something. Coach is watching Steve like a hawk. Steve winced a couple times in practice yesterday and coach was all worried about him. He has to be ready to go this afternoon or we're in big trouble. Coach would rather lose the game than risk any kind of serious injury to a player," finished Billy.

Laura quickly cut away Steve's bandages and the wrap that held it in place. She carefully cleaned the cuts and asked Gwen to gently rub some antibacterial ointment over them. Gwen flushed momentarily and then picked up the ointment and began her ministrations. As she worked on Steve's chest, he thanked Gwen and Laura.

"You two are the best. How many guys get such beautiful women to dress a few cuts? Coach said he wants you nearby for the game, Doctor ... I mean Laura. I was going to ask if it was personal or professional, but he's wound way too tight to joke around with today. He's going to the big dance in his first year as head coach and he's feeling the stress," worried Steve. "You need to convince him that I'm okay and a little blood's not a life threatening situation."

Paula watched Gwen treat Steve as he spoke to the young doctor. Small wonder Gwen asked about birth control pills! Paula felt her own face get warm and noticed that Kate was squirming in her seat as she watched Gwen work on Steve's chest.

Steve was taped and bandaged to Laura's satisfaction just as the call came for the team to board the bus for the stadium. Gwen made a point of kissing Steve in front of her sister and mother and wishing him luck.

"Mom, how can Gwen change so much? Two months ago she didn't even speak to boys. Now she's kissing the school stud every chance she gets. Did Steve do this to her?" wondered Kate quietly as Gwen walked with Steve to the bus.

"It's a part of her expanding her horizons and growing up. She's always been a mature thinker for her age. Now her body and mind are on the same level and she's becoming more confident and accomplished every day. Your sister's headed for great things if she continues like this. Steve seems to be the catalyst that draws out Gwen's strength, courage, and confidence," reasoned Paula. "The next few years are going to be a real trip."

The Windsor Warriors were the defending state champions. They had not lost a football game in well over a year. They featured a brutal defense that punished its opponents. The offense was mediocre, but with the defense constantly providing them with great field position, it was sufficient. Windsor players and coaches read the papers and watched the news, the same as everyone else. They realized that Sparta relied heavily on the strong right arm of its big quarterback, and their plan was simple; neutralize Steve Hammer.

As the players warmed up, the spectators began to file into the stadium. Lisa and two girlfriends joined her family as they entered the arena. The game was being played on the home field of Lisa's university. The huge television screens hanging at either end of the field gave some of the fans a few seconds of fame as their faces were displayed.

Shortly before the start of the game, Laura prodded Gwen in the side and pointed at the huge screen. To her amazement, Gwen saw herself and Steve performing their signature dance. She then watched the video of the water rescue as it played on the big screen! The fans were cheering and whistling as they watched. Sparta colors were everywhere on the east side of the stadium and the fans were pumped up and yelling approval. As she watched, Gwen saw her face fill the screen and she broke into a huge smile as the crowd cheered even louder.

The game itself turned out to be a defensive struggle. Steve spent almost as much time on the ground as he did on his feet. His offensive line was badly overmatched by Windsor's defense. He had to throw quick passes to the tight ends and the running backs before being hit by blitzing linebackers or the two big defensive ends. Still, he managed to lead Sparta downfield for a tying touchdown just before half time.

Every time Steve left the field, Coach Watkins was in his face, asking him how he felt and if he was experiencing any pain. For his part, Steve always shook his head and smiled back at his coach, telling him that he felt fine.

Halfway through the third quarter, Steve found Derek Johnson racing down the left sideline with a perfect pass from Sparta's ten yard line. The TV announcers insisted that it traveled well over sixty yards in the air. The extra point was blocked, so Sparta led for the first time, 13-7. The lead held up until Tyler Smith coughed up the football at midfield after making a circus catch and trying to run for more than was there. A Windsor helmet hit the ball under his arm and dislodged it. Windsor recovered and scored a touchdown just before the quarter ended. After three quarters of play, the score was 14-13, Windsor.

As the teams switched sides for the final stanza, Gwen felt Kate pulling on her sleeve. She turned to face Kate, only to see Kate staring at the huge screen hanging over the end zone area. There, in full glory, was the bitch that Gwen had seen meet Steve at the restaurant! Gwen watched in shock as the announcer identified her as Amber O'Leary, the daughter of the governor-elect! She was attending the game with her parents, Patrick and Janice O'Leary. Kate watched her sister's face turn dark. Somehow she had known this was the woman that Gwen had described in such detail over the past few weeks. Gwen's appearance confirmed Kate's suspicion. By this time all of the Anderson women, as well as Laura, had seen Gwen's reaction to the woman on the screen.

Gwen forced herself to return her attention to the playing field and smile, but no one was fooled. Gwen was close to tears and her sisters moved closer to her to show support. Then the fourth quarter began and everyone's attention returned to the game. Sparta received the kick-off and moved the ball for two first downs. Then a blitzing linebacker avoided the attempted block by the running back and hit Steve at full speed. Somehow, Steve managed to hang onto the football, but it was ten yard loss and Steve was slow getting up. A murmur began going through the crowd.

"Hear that?" asked Laura. "Steve has blood leeching out between the numbers on his chest! Look! You can see his jersey isn't very white in front. I doubt if it's anything serious, but Coach Watkins won't like this one bit."

As Laura predicted, Steve's replacement came running onto the field, signaling for Steve to go to the sidelines. Knowing better than to disobey the coach, Steve trotted off the field and up to Coach Watkins. The fans could see the two engaged in a lively discussion. Meanwhile, Joe Lent, the replacement quarterback lost two yards on the next play and three more on third down. The punting team was sent in. After a very decent punt and a five yard return, Windsor had the ball at midfield again, with less than five minutes to play.

Steve turned to his teammates as the defense prepared to take the field and yelled, "Guys, you've got to hold 'em and get the ball back! We can win this! Get the ball back in our hands!"

The players stopped to stare at Steve as blood blotted out most of the number 12 on his jersey. Steve was waving his helmet and urging his teammates on.

"Holy shit!" muttered Will Stevens, the captain of the defense. "That guy's giving his blood for this team. Maybe we better stop these bastards and get that ball back!"

Dr. Laura Masters had made her way to the coach's side and was engaged in a very animated conversation with him. The Sparta fans found it almost as interesting as the game. They couldn't hear what was being said, but could tell that it was emotional, and quite frank.

"Get your head out of your ass, Coach!" yelled the young M.D. "He has lots of blood. It always looks worse than it is. I positively guarantee that he'll easily be able to finish the game. Think of the damage you're doing to these kids. They've worked their asses off to get here. They deserve a coach that stands behind them and gives them every chance to win. You pull Steve now and you'll forever be known as the goddamn wimp that lost the only championship game Sparta ever reached. The kid is ready to play. He wants to play. His doctor is telling you that he can play. How much time will be left if you get the ball? A couple of minutes? Give the kids the chance to walk out of here winners!" pleaded Laura.

Windsor managed to run the ball for a couple first downs. After the next first down, the ball was on the ten yard line. Two running plays later and with the ball on the seven yard line, the two minute warning was given. After the warning, another running play netted another yard. Windsor lined up for the field goal attempt. It fooled no one when the place holder tried to run around the left end for the touchdown. Every kid on the Sparta team had seen Windsor run the same play on the videos they had studied. The runner was pushed out at the five yard line. Sparta got the ball back on downs with a minute and twenty seconds left on the game clock and no time outs.

"Steve, I want you to use three receivers and keep everyone else in to block. We're just 95 yards from victory. Now go get it!" yelled Coach Watkins to Steve and the other players.

Steve quickly explained the play and calmly walked his team to the line of scrimmage and looked over the defense. Billy snapped the ball and Steve dropped three steps and looked right. His line held the defenders at bay so Steve had time to turn and throw a pass to the left side. Derek Johnson was racing deep down the left side when he suddenly turned and broke for the sideline. As soon as he made his turn, the football was in his chest and he ran out of bounds for a 25 yard gain. The crowd cheered the play but quickly turned quiet as Sparta lined up again. This time, Steve looked right, looked left and then rifled a pass back to the right. Jeff Wander had started deep then faked toward the center of the field and then turned as the football hit his chest. His momentum carried him out of bounds at the 45 yard line of Windsor. With just over a minute left, Steve once again stood over center and called the signals.

This time Steve looked For Derek Johnson, but two defenders were covering him. Jeff Wander had become tangled with a Windsor safety and the two went down in a keep. As the protection broke down, Steve swung the ball out to his running back, Les Turner. Les ran across the width of the field to elude tacklers and then headed down the far sideline. He was shoved out of bounds at the 25 yard line with four seconds remaining in the game.

Sparta's field goal kicker was their weakness. He was unlikely to make anything over 25 yards and this attempt would have been around 45 yards. Sparta was left with only one option. They had to go for the touchdown.

Steve quickly called the play and strode to the line. Once again Billy snapped the ball and Steve dropped three steps and looked downfield. Everyone knew it would be the last play of the game and Sparta had to put the ball in the end zone. Windsor had six men play back to prevent a completed pass in the end zone. As Steve scanned the field, he saw the middle linebacker knock a blocker down and head for him. As he prepared to try to duck the rush, Billy Marsh suddenly came from the left side and delivered a block on the linebacker that jarred him to the ground.

Suddenly Steve saw Tyler Smith drift to the left side of the back of the end zone. Two defenders were sprinting toward him when Steve made his decision. He could get the ball to Tyler if he threw it hard enough. Steve pulled back the ball and fired it as hard as he could to Tyler Smith, who was standing in the back corner of the end zone, about 40 yards away.

From that moment forward, when someone spoke of "The Pass" in Sparta, they were referring to the 40 yard bullet Steve Hammer drilled into Tyler Smith's stomach. When someone referred to "The Catch", it was Tyler Smith wrapping his arms around the football in his stomach and falling backward in the corner of the end zone. When they spoke of "The Drive" they were referring to the four play, 95 yard drive, that Sparta put together in a minute and twenty seconds against the state's top ranked defense to win the state title.

There was a stunned silence for a few seconds. Then the officials held up their arms to indicate a touchdown. Bedlam ensued. Fans screamed, whistled, and yelled as they streamed onto the playing field.

Gwen had been watching the final drive with her family and Laura, and Lisa's friends. "God, is he cool or what?" asked one of Lisa's friends. "He acts like it's a day at the beach. That's some boyfriend your sister has there. He's a way better player than our team's quarterback, and he's 23 years old!"

When Tyler Smith clutched the football to his stomach and fell to the ground in the end zone, Gwen was on her feet with every other Sparta fan, momentarily too stunned to speak.

"We won! We're state champs! What a pass that was. I hardly saw it; it went so fast. How did Tyler ever catch it?" yelled Kate.

"Come on, Gwen. Your boyfriend needs some attention I can take care of the medical stuff but you're the only one that takes care of the rest. Let's go tend to our star!" urged Laura.

They found Steve surrounded by players and fans that reluctantly parted for his girl friend and the lady doctor. Laura was surprised at how red the front of Steve's jersey was. She quickly grabbed his hand to lead him from the crowd. Before he took a step, Steve reached down and took Gwen's hand in his. Then he followed Laura to the locker room.

"They'll be celebrating for quite a while, so we should be able to get Steve cleaned up and re-bandaged without many distractions," asserted Laura as she sat Steve down on the bench in front of the lockers and began peeling his bloody jersey over his head.

Gwen gasped when she saw how much blood had soaked into his bandages. "It isn't as bad as it looks. Blood always looks magnified. He'll be fine. We need to cut these old bandages off and get him cleaned up."

Laura pulled out her scissors and began cutting the bloody wrappings as players and fans began entering the locker room laughing and celebrating. As soon as they saw Steve, they went quiet. Laura ignored the onlookers and worked on removing the dressing with Gwen's help.

Gwen heard the telltale sound of high heels. She turned in time to see Amber O'Leary, with a concerned look on her face, striding directly toward Steve. With no conscious thought, Gwen stood up and purposely stepped between the redhead and Steve. Amber O'Leary came to a sudden stop as she looked Gwen over from head to toe.

"So, it's the incredible Gwen Anderson herself," began Amber as she raised her eyebrows, and smiled slightly. "Also known as 'The Lady in Red', and the 'Heroine of the Emerson River Rescue'. The same girl that's trying to raise enough money to expand a hospital; and all of this as a senior in high school. It appears that you're trying to keep the daughter of the next governor of this state away from Steve Hammer. It even looks like you're ready to fight, if necessary. All of this for that bloody guy sitting behind you, Ms. Anderson? Or may I call you Gwen?"

A couple of the onlookers gasped at Amber's declaration and Gwen's defiant reaction to her presence. Other than that, there was total silence in the locker room. Gwen raised her chin and took a small step closer to the redhead. The two women were about the same height and build. They stood chin to chin with Gwen's chest now rising and falling rapidly, and her hands clenched as she awaited her adversary's next move.

12