Law of the Heart Ch. 01

Story Info
Lawyer couple spend weekend apart.
2.1k words
4.13
173.6k
110

Part 1 of the 7 part series

Updated 11/01/2022
Created 05/13/2005
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Having been frustrated by the endings of some stories that are posted here and having been criticized for some of my own story endings, I decided to try something new, a story with several alternative endings. These ending will vary quite a bit, from the romantic to the hardcore. I know the set-up is long, but it needs to be, for all the various possible endings to make sense.

Also, any authors out there are invited to write their own ending!

No sex for awhile in this story!

*

Introduction

"Case Dismissed," the judge stated firmly, then slapped his gavel down with the accompanying wooden crack.

My client turned to shake my hand, but I was already stuffing papers into my briefcase and moving quickly to the courtroom door. If I catch a cab to the airport I could make the early Friday afternoon flight from Boston to Miami. I could surprise my wife at the South Florida Law School reunion.

My son, Jake Junior, was already at his grandparent's house for the weekend so the only thing I was missing was my suitcase. It had been packed for a week, ready for Jill and I to spend a long weekend in Miami at our 10 year Law School reunion. I had left the suitcase in our bedroom. I had thought that this last minute case which I had caught from my public defenders office would end up killing the weekend for me.

But surprise of surprises, the Boston PD had realized that my petty thief client could not have been involved in the armed robbery and had agreed to drop the charges. Now he was free and I was free too. The last flight to Miami would be leaving in 2 hours. Friday traffic and post 9-11 security meant that I could just make it onto the plane, but I would not have time to stop by our house. That was OK, it would only be two days. I could buy a swim suit and some casual clothes in Miami. As the cab careened through the rain and drizzle of spring-time Boston, Mass. I thought about lounging on the sunny white sand beaches of South Florida with my beautiful and smart lawyer wife.

Jill had flown down to the reunion yesterday as we had planned.

At first she said that "If you can't go I won't go either."

But I had insisted, she deserved the break from "Mommy-hood" and she had been so excited about seeing our old friends. She had been planning this trip for weeks, even dieting and going to the tanning saloon, so she "would look good in a bathing suit and not stick out like a "Northeastern tourist" when she saw our classmates, most of whom still lived in the "sunshine state."

I smiled as I thought about Jill, 13 years earlier. Beautiful and smart, 22 years old and one of 12 women in the South Florida Law School class of 1994. The class had 65 students, by the time we graduated there were only 45 of us left and only 9 women. Jill was the smartest and most beautiful, everybody had wanted her, but I had won her heart. We hadn't dated until halfway through year two of law school. But a year after graduation we were married. I knew I was the luckiest guy in the class. I felt like the luckiest guy in Florida, maybe the luckiest guy in the whole United States.

Jill, she is my "soul-mate." I know that term is thrown around a lot, but she really is. We fit like two perfectly matched puzzle pieces, and now with 3 year old Jake Junior, life got only better. Sometimes as I walked into the door of our modest suburban house, knowing that Jill and Jake Junior were inside waiting for me, the love would well up in my chest, and I could hear an audible groan escape my lips. I was so lucky, so loved. Tears would actually come to my eyes.

I was a lucky one, I had always been loved. Growing up in a poor working class neighborhood of Washington DC, I hadn't had a lot of "things," but we always had food, and love from my hardworking blue collar parents. We had always been taught "right from wrong" and the marble monuments in the center of DC had effected me greatly. That's why I had become a public defender. I have a strong sense of right and wrong. I believe in the system. I wanted to stand up for the "little guy." Hardworking guys who got taken advantage of. Guys like my Dad and the people who I grew up with. Simply stated I wanted to do what was right.

I worked hard, got scholarships to college, then a scholarship to SF Law School. My parents were so proud. I was the first in the family to graduate from college, much less attend a professional school. I was proud, I wanted to make a difference. The others in my law school class were not like me. Oh, they were smart, but they all had come from the upper middle class or even rich upper class homes. They weren't bad, at least most of them weren't. They loved the law as I did, but money and power is what motivated them. That's Ok, I wanted money too, but not at the expense of others. Not at the expense of people weaker than I, I wanted to help people more than I wanted the big money. Regardless of what kind of law I practiced, I knew I would have more money than my parents. I knew that I would be comfortable and that was enough for me.

As the jet accelerated down the runway and I was pressed into the seat and I smiled. Jill would be so surprised and happy to see me. I would get in just before dinner. Maybe I could stop at a store on my way from the airport. Pick up a few things, get a swimming suit. I think tonight was the class reunion luau. I would walk right into the middle of the beach party and hug Jill from behind. Give her a big kiss. She would be so surprised. Maybe later tonight in romantic Miami we could start working on making Jake Junior a little sister to complete our happy family.

God, I wish I had dieted and tanned with Jill. I was New England pasty white under my clothes, and I had put on a few pounds. Not that I was fat, but I was out of shape and was carrying an 10 extra pounds around my middle. Jill didn't complain. She loved me so much. But I should get back into shape for her. She deserved the best...

--------------------------------

Chapter 1

As I stepped out of the airport terminal the heat and humidity almost knocked me down. "Taxi," I hollered as I ran my hand through my light brown hair, which was already damp with sweat.

The air conditioner in the cab barely reached the back seat, but it didn't seem to bother the Cuban driver. He looked cool and fresh. Living in the tropics his whole life had taught him how to survive in the heat. Even look cool and collected in the stifling atmosphere. The driver reminded me of the Mendoza twins. The Mendoza twins were classmates of mine and Jill's. They were always cool and in control. Born of a wealthy Cuban businessman and an anglo mother, the Mendoza's got the best from both worlds. The brains and dark latin good looks of their father, and the tall slender bodies and anglo features of their mother. As well as her charm. A charm that they could turn on and off as needed. Yes, the Mendoza twins were always cool and in control. In the three years of law school I had never seen them sweat, except during a pick-up basketball or touch football game. And even then the sweat looked good on their glistening muscular bodies.

I blocked the Mendoza twins from my mind and thought about others in the class. Bill, and George had been my study partners. Sally, who had lived with Jill and finally Steve, my best friend and the best man at Jill's and my wedding. There were others too, people who I argued with in "moot court" and members of the law review. We had all been at our best in law school. All of our minds razor sharp. We had many long nights of studying and practicing our newly learned lawyer skills on each other. It was the best time of my life, until I married Jill. My life with Jill....well that was the all-time best, and always would be.

I asked the cab driver to stop at a strip shopping center near the beach resort where the reunion was being held. "I need a bathing suit and some clothes," I said. The driver knew I didn't have any luggage other than my briefcase.

"You can shop in the boutique stores at the resort," he answered in his thick accent.

"I could," I answered, "but at three times the prices of the discount stores. Stop here please."

It didn't make sense to me to waste the money. After all, I wasn't a big time corporate lawyer like many of my classmates. I was a public defender, and only made slightly more than a cop or a teacher in Boston. The driver shrugged and stopped. As soon as I paid and tipped him he took off. I noticed that he turned into the gates of the resort, hoping for a more well-to-do fare no doubt.

With a couple pairs of shorts, some off-brand knit shirts, a baggy swim suit and a travel can of shaving cream and disposable razors, I headed back out to the parking lot. No cabs... The resort gates were visible down the street so I began to walk. With my discount store bag and briefcase in my hand. Suit jacket over my arm. By the time I reached the Gate I was soaked through. At least the long driveway up to the resort was shaded by palms. But it was a half mile walk. I trudged, and sweated and wilted...

"You are not on the guest list, Mr. Roberts," said the desk clerk as he eyed me suspiciously.

I was soaked, carrying a cheap discount bag and didn't have any luggage.

"Look," almost whining now, "Jill Roberts is my wife. She is registered. She is here with the reunion."

The clerk glanced at the event board. I could see her mind working, I could have easily have gotten that information.

"I am sorry, the Reunion group is out on a boat cruise. I am not allowed to give out the room numbers, or keys to guest rooms. You will have to wait until they return. Or you could rent a room yourself."

I sighed, "Your right, and actually I am glad that you protect your guests. There is no need for me to rent a second room. We'll pay the double occupancy rate." I smiled, "when do they return?"

I checked my watch. It was 5:00. I knew the luau was supposed to start at 7:30.

"Sometime in the next hour. They will be docking at the marina next door." She pointed out the wide expanse of glass towards the blue water.

"Thanks, I'll wait over there. After they are back we can take care of this." Oh well, my plan to surprise Jill went out the window. I could meet her at the dock with a big smile, I thought.

I trudged out the glass door, into the sand. At least there was a sea breeze. The marina was just down the sand, and I walked to the head of the big dock and dropped heavily into an old beach chair on the wooden planks.

As I was slipping my briefcase and bag under the chair, an old man in South Florida retirement shorts and tee-shirt with three days growth of white whiskers yelled, "Hey, that's my chair Mister."

"I'm sorry, I didn't know. I am just waiting for a tour boat to return."

"Yeah you and me both," he said. I noticed a large powerful looking pair of binoculars in his liver spotted, claw like hand.

"I'm Jake," I said as I stood.

He quickly jumped into the chair and mumbled, "I'm Frank, now get out of my way."

"What do you mean, I am not in your way, I got out of your chair."

"You're blocking the view. Move to the side."

He brought up the binoculars and turned towards the water.

"Looking for boats?" I queried.

"Nawww," his eyes never left the eyepieces as his head moved back and forth, methodically scanning the blue expanse.

"I'm looking for titties."