Life on Another Planet Ch. 32-34

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
coaster2
coaster2
2,599 Followers

"Hi," she smiled, approaching him and wrapping her arms around him before giving him a warm kiss.

"Hi, what brings you here?" he wondered, still holding her in his arms.

"You, of course. I had nothing to do this afternoon, so I thought I would come to visit my special man," she said quietly before kissing him once more.

"I'm a lucky guy," he said as they broke. "I was thinking of you. Did you have something you wanted to do this evening?"

"Yes, but I do not think we will have enough private time for it," she giggled. "However, I do have some news for you."

"News? Tell me."

"Momma and Papa are going to a big trade show in Las Vegas next week. I will be all alone in the apartment. What should I do to keep from being lonely?"

Her fake frown was a dead giveaway.

"We'll talk about it this evening," he smiled. "I'm sure we'll think of something."

It was amazing how a smile and a kiss from the big blonde could wipe away all his doubts and worries. He could feel the energy coursing through him at the thought of Kirsten alone in her apartment for several days. Opportunities didn't come that often and this one was too good to pass up; particularly since she'd made it obvious how she thought the time could be spent.

He didn't see Eve as an obstacle to his plan. She understood he was an adult now and could make adult decisions. She would undoubtedly remind him that Kirsten told her parents what she and Jesse had planned on their night at the hotel. He wondered if she would tell them what she planned this time. His plan to purchase an apartment was still on hold. When he discussed it with Eve, she was upset and felt it was premature. She had no plans to have Kent move into the apartment, and like a mother, she wondered how he would cope on his own.

Jesse didn't bother to mention that Kirsten would be his roommate. Kirsten hadn't said anything to her parents about Jesse's plan, so how they would react was an unknown. In addition, Jesse had decided to tell Kirsten about his recent trip back through time. He felt that he owed it to her to be completely honest about what was happening to him.

Monday, November 12, 2012 6:15pm

"Hi Honey, I'm home," Jesse grinned, barely suppressing a laugh as he was welcomed by Kirsten into the Gustafson apartment.

"Did you have a nice day?" she asked after a warm kiss that lasted some time.

"As of this moment, it has been a very nice day," he grinned. "What can I help you with?"

"I think almost everything is ready to be cooked," she said with a smile, "so we can sit and wait in the living room for a while."

"It was quiet at the bookstore today. I had some time to do some homework. That's what Sue used to do when it was like that."

"What were you studying?" she asked.

"Computers. Actually, I was studying computer applications; especially robotics. It's an amazing topic."

"Do you think that is something you would like to do as a career?"

"I'm not sure. I saw an item on TV on the weekend about young teenagers who were already building robots to do complicated things. There was some kind of competition for them and these kids were only thirteen or so. A girl team was the winner. Imagine that," Jesse said, oblivious to the implications.

"So," Kirsten said with a stern look, "You are surprised that girls can make robots too?"

"Oh ... shit ... sorry, Kirsten. That was thoughtless of me. I apologize for being so stupid ... and for swearing. Please forgive me. I'm still caught in 1960's think."

She smiled at his discomfort. He seldom swore, almost never in her presence, a pleasant difference between him and his contemporaries. He was still adjusting to the idea that females could perform highly technical feats on their own, a drastic change from his previous life.

"Your apology is accepted," she smiled warmly before wrapping her arms around him and extending a deep kiss.

"I'm still adjusting to the kind of world I'm living in, Kirsten. It's such a huge change from the past. And ... I know I'm going to be here with you, so with you, Eve, and Grant in my life, I think I can make it," he said, kissing her once more.

It was a spur of the moment decision, but once it was made, Jesse knew instinctively that it was right not to reveal Kirsten's existence in both worlds. It would cause her all kinds of confusion and upset and that wasn't what was best for either of them. The only nagging worry was whether he would be moving back and forth between both lives in both time-lines.

"Are you going to stay tonight?" she asked.

"Uhhm ... I don't know. I should talk to Eve first so she knows what's going on. I want to, but I should do her the courtesy of telling her."

Kirsten nodded, a slight smile showing as she relaxed beside Jesse on the living room sofa. Jesse was thoughtful and that was another example of why she found him very attractive as a man.

"Why not talk to her after we eat? I am sure she will be understanding," she suggested.

~*~

"Eve, do you mind if I stay with Kirsten tonight?" he asked as entered her apartment.

"Oh, no, I don't suppose I have a problem with that. Did Kirsten say she had talked to Anika about it?"

"Yes ... but just in general terms. I don't think she specifically said anything about my staying overnight," he admitted. "You know how I had been thinking about my own apartment? Well, Kirsten suggested we could share that if it came to pass."

"Oh ... well ... I'll bet that she didn't say anything about that to her mother," Eve said with certainty. "I'm sure I'd have heard about it if she had. I don't like the idea of her going behind her mother's back ... or her father's for that matter. They've been very supportive of my working relationship with their daughter and I don't want to do any damage to that. I think you should give this more thought, Jesse. There's more at stake than just a relationship with Kirsten."

Jesse was disappointed. Eve had been very supportive of the developing closeness between him and Kirsten and that included both Anika and Eve being aware of the intimacy that had developed. What would be the harm in staying overnight while the parents were in Las Vegas? Nonetheless, he was well aware of the debt he owed Eve for rescuing him and providing him with both a home and an identity. He wasn't about to ignore her concerns and take advantage of the situation.

"I'll talk to Kirsten," he said after a silent moment. "I'm sure she'll understand."

Eve smiled and nodded her thanks.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 6:30am

Jesse was surprised to see Kirsten entering the exercise room the next morning. His conversation with her the previous evening had been awkward, but in the end, Kirsten understood his feeling that he should not go against Eve's wishes. It hadn't prevented them from intimacy that evening, but he had returned to Eve's apartment later that night.

"Hi ... I didn't expect to see you here," he said as she approached. He couldn't fail to notice the smile and liveliness in her eyes as she neared him.

"I forgot to tell you. No practice today," she announced happily. "We are going to cut back on practices until the New Year. Only two each week before the weekend games. Everyone was cheering when Coach Hillman announced it," she smiled.

Jesse was sitting astride his stationary bike, watching as Kirsten stripped off her warm up jacket and began her stretching exercises. He was still pedaling, but his mind was completely occupied with the beautiful form of his girlfriend. When she finished her routine, she gave him a smile and stepped on the incline treadmill and began her brisk walk before the running program kicked in. It wasn't long before Jesse realized she was putting on a performance just for him. She had developed almost a dance-like routine when the machine slowed between the running segments. She waved her arms in the air and accentuated the sway in her hips. She would glance over her shoulder at him and smile as she continued.

When the routine ended, she picked up her towel and wiped the perspiration from her face and neck. She hadn't lost her smile as she strolled over to where Jesse sat, transfixed.

"I could sit here all day and watch you," he said, grinning.

"I do not have that much energy, Jesse," she said, "but I am happy you enjoyed it."

Jesse just shook his head. "How did I ever get so lucky?" he wondered aloud.

Kirsten was already moving to her next station, a cable machine with adjustable weights that she used to build arm and shoulder strength.

Jesse continued to watch her and was caught by surprise when an unfamiliar man stopped beside him to watch Kirsten.

"That is one amazing young woman," the man offered.

"She is indeed. Are you a regular here?" Jesse asked.

"Yes, but usually a little later. Recently, the traffic has been getting so bad that I decided to move my time up an hour," he explained.

"I'm lucky. I just have to walk or bike to work. I feel for the people who have to commute from outside the city. I'm Jesse Peterson," he said, extending his hand.

"I'm Warren Tilden. I just moved in here in the past month. I'm on the fourth floor."

"Just you ... I mean ... is there a Mrs. Tilden?"

"No ... not any more. One mistake was enough for me," he said with dour smile.

"Sorry, didn't mean to pry."

"No problem. I take that lovely young lady is your girlfriend."

"Yes, she is, and I'm still trying to figure out how I could get so lucky," Jesse admitted.

"Hah! Don't over-think it. Take each gift with gratitude," Warren said with a smile.

"Oh, I have, trust me, I have. Where do you work?" Jesse asked.

"I work in Burnaby at Laser Technologies. We develop and build computer aided manufacturing equipment, otherwise known as CNC, computer numerical control systems."

"Oh ... that's really interesting. I've been trying to learn more about computer applications. I was fascinated by the 3D demonstration I saw on TV a while ago. Do you think that will become a big thing?"

"Absolutely. We've already developed models for high-precision cutting of materials. We're also working on assembly units to take the parts and pieces and put them together in the right sequence. We aren't what I'd call cutting edge, but we're looking at affordable concepts for mid-range businesses. It's a fascinating field and I'm really enjoying my job."

"I've been thinking about computers as a career, but I don't know where to start. There are so many different fields doing so many different things, I wonder how to get started," Jesse admitted.

"Well, to start with, you would begin with a foundation course in computer science as well as a degree in engineering. Several of the local universities offer both. Then, you need some practical experience. We hire interns who have completed at least half their courses and are interested in our field of work. There is no shortcut and it isn't easy, but I think you would find it a rewarding career. I know I do," Warren said with a smile.

"Thanks ... you've given me something to explore. I'm ready to move on with my education, but I was wondering which direction to go. I like the sound of what you are doing at your business. I'm not sure I'm smart enough to qualify, but I'd like to try. Is it possible to get a tour of Laser Technologies?"

"Well, we don't normally have tours, but if you're really interested, I could probably arrange to bring you through and give you some idea of what we are doing. Why don't you let me see if it's okay with my boss and I'll get back to you," Warren suggested.

"Thanks, that's great. Here ... this is my cell phone number. I live on the top floor, but I work at a book store during the day and take some night school classes as well. You can leave a message on my phone if I don't pick up."

"Okay, I'll do that. In the meantime, I'd better get going on my workout or I won't have a job to show you," he grinned.

~*~

"So you're hoping for a tour of his factory, are you?" Eve said with a smile.

"I don't think it's a factory, Eve. It sounds different than that. Anyway, what they do is really interesting. I'd have to get an engineering degree and know enough about computer stuff to qualify, but I think Warren might be willing to point me in the right direction."

"You said he lives here on the fourth floor?"

"Yes. He's a really nice guy and from what he told me, he's divorced and living alone."

"Huh, he's shared quite a bit of information with you," Eve observed.

"Yeah, well ... we were both watching Kirsten do her exercises. I think that got his attention just like it did mine," Jesse grinned.

"No doubt," Eve chuckled.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 1:15pm

Jesse felt the vibration of his cell phone in his pocket as he put away some of the new books that had just arrived.

"Hello, Jesse speaking."

"Hi Jesse, it's Warren Tilden. I got an okay from my boss to bring you through the operation. The best time would be in the morning if that fits with you."

"Yes, it does. I work afternoons and take night school, so the mornings are my time for study and other things. That would be great. I didn't expect to hear from you so soon. What day would work for you?" Jesse asked.

Warren was amused at the enthusiasm his offer was greeted with. "Well, how about Friday. That's usually a light day around here, so I won't be interfering with any major rush projects."

"Friday would be perfect," Jesse said. "I looked up your address and plugged it into the sat-nav on my car. What time would be best?"

Warren chuckled. "You were pretty confident I could get the tour okayed, were you?"

"Well, I was hoping. Anyway, I'm glad it was approved. I'm really looking forward to it."

"Okay," Warren chuckled once more. "I did get that impression. Why don't you come out here at ten and ask for me at the reception desk. They'll be expecting a visitor."

"Great. Ten o'clock Friday morning at Laser Technologies. I'll be there," Jesse said, still exhibiting his enthusiastic attitude.

"I'm sure you will. We'll see you then, Jesse."

When Jesse ended the call he was excited at the possibility of what he might see. Was this the step in the right direction for his future? He hoped so.

Friday, November 16, 2012 10am Laser Technologies

"Right on time," Warren noted as he strode into the lobby of the building. "I'll get you signed in and give you a visitor badge and we can be off."

"I've been looking at courses that I could take starting in January, Warren. I've almost qualified for UBC, with just a couple of credits to go. If I can't get into their computer sciences group, I'll try a couple of other colleges that offer similar courses. I thought I'd do this as the first step, and if I succeed, I'll go for engineering from that," Jesse said as they passed through the secure door and down the hallway.

"You've chosen a pretty expensive educational path, Jesse. Can you afford it?" Warren asked.

"Yes ... I inherited a substantial sum of money from my parents and that will surely cover my education."

"Does that mean your parents are ... uhhm ... deceased?"

"Yes," Jesse confirmed, choosing not to elaborate. My father was an electrical engineer, but worked mostly on hydro and transmission projects for the province. Maybe, if I'm lucky, some of those engineering genes are in me too," Jesse smiled.

"I hope they are, Jesse. You've been talking about a difficult path to your goal and you'll need all the help you can get. Genetic or otherwise," Warren said.

~*~

"That was amazing, Warren. I would love to be a part of something like what you do here. The technology was incredible and the skills of the people were really impressive. Maybe I should just invest in the company. It looks like a real winner."

"Well, that won't work," Warren said with a smile. "Laser is a privately held company with two partners. There aren't any shares for sale, although those of us who work here can earn B shares as a bonus."

"Then I guess I'd better get to work on my education and find a way to qualify for a job here," Jesse said.

"Well, stay in touch, Jesse. I'll want to know how you are making out and if I can be of any help, I'd be glad to offer it."

"Thanks, Warren. This tour has really got me excited about the future. Even if I don't work for Laser, I can see a lot of opportunities that might fit what I'm interested in."

Friday, November 16, 2012 1:30pm Grant's Books

"Sorry I'm late, Grant. I got so caught up in the tour that I lost track of time," Jesse explained.

"Not a problem, Jesse. If it furthers your ambition for the future I'm all in favour of it. How was the tour?"

"Amazing! Incredible! I couldn't believe what I was seeing as they went through the programs they use. I know for sure this is the path I want to take, Grant. I hope I'm smart enough to qualify. I'm going to see about starting courses in computer science right after the Christmas break."

Grant smiled. It was good to see the enthusiasm in Jesse for furthering his education. He had been uncertain about his career path, not sure of what he might want to do. Whatever he saw on the tour seemed to set something off in him that had been missing. He now had an objective and was going to start moving toward that goal with his education.

"Keep me informed of your plans, Jesse. I want to make sure you don't sacrifice your classes for this job. I can find someone to cover your hours without difficulty, although I won't pretend I'll find anyone as good as you," he grinned.

"Thanks, Grant. This is going to be a long term project and it may change shape as I go down this path, but I think it's the direction I should go in."

"Then that's the right thing for you. If you believe in what you want for the future, then I'm sure you'll succeed."

"Thanks, Grant. Whatever happens, I owe you a lot for your support and faith in me."

"Don't worry, Jesse. I got plenty in return from you, too," the man smiled.

Saturday, November 17, 2012 10am Eve's Apartment

"So, I've decided about my future and I wanted you both to know about it," Jesse said, looking at both Eve and Kirsten as they sat at the kitchen table.

"I'm going to enrol in an entry level general computer science program at one of the community colleges, and when I complete that, I'm going to study electrical engineering with a major in computers. I'm going to start right after Christmas, but I'll be looking to find an opening before then."

"That's quite a step, Jesse," Eve said. "I gather that your tour of that company yesterday had a big influence on that decision."

"Yes, although I had already decided I wanted to become involved in the computer world. It won't be easy and I won't be done with my education for a few more years, but I'm really set on accomplishing this goal."

"My education took just as many years as you are suggesting, so that's not a surprise," Eve said. "You're just nineteen, so you have the time and the funds to devote to your studies without worrying about money. That will take a lot of pressure off. So many students are coming out of college with huge debts that take them years to work off. That's not a burden you have to worry about."

"What do you think, Kirsten?" Jesse asked.

She smiled and took his hand. "I am happy for you, Jesse. You have found something important that you want to do. I know you will work hard to reach your goal. If I can, I will help you too."

"It's great to have all this support. Grant and Warren said the same thing. They want me to succeed. I feel really good about the future now."

Chapter 34 A Future Set in Place

Friday, May 22, 2015 11:15 am Pacific Institute of Technology

The bone-crushing hug of congratulations from Kirsten was aggressive but welcome. Eve's hug was much more sedate. Grant was there to shake hands in congratulations as well. He'd left the bookstore in the charge of his most reliable part-timer.

coaster2
coaster2
2,599 Followers