Lost and Forgotten

Story Info
A secret buried for decades changes a man's life forever.
19.5k words
4.73
76.9k
172

Part 1 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 06/06/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Lost Boy
Lost Boy
5,781 Followers

All characters are 18 years of age or older.

Having issues with the latest installment of Legacy. It has been fighting me tooth and nail. I have been working on one shot stories like this one between Legacy and health issues. I hope you enjoy and please feel free to comment and vote to your heart's content.

*****

Saint Sebastian's:

I drove up the tree shrouded road that led to St. Sebastian's. The one-time private school was one of the oldest if not the oldest school on the eastern seaboard. It had survived where other schools half its age had not. Budget cuts from state and the federal government had been the death knell for many learning institutions over the last few decades. I felt lucky to get a teaching position right out of college. I had just gotten my master's degree and St. Sebastian's was my first choice. I had grown up nearby and it had a long history as not just the oldest but best high school in the nation. I got my first view of it as the U-shaped driveway led to the front of the school.

A tall shapely woman was there to greet me. She was blonde with round steel framed glasses and a gentile smile. The gray suit she wore was both conservative and strikingly provocative. It is hard to hide curves on a woman and she had some serious curves in front and behind. She was the assistant principal Ms. Gwen Arabesque. I parked and got out to greet her. I shook her hand and she gestured for me to follow her for a short walk. Her expression was stony and grim.

"I understand you were the top of your class. That is why you were chosen by Titania, Ms. Faewood. She knows a good catch when she sees one. I want you to know that I objected to your hiring. This institution has been an all-girl school since its inception. We have never had male instructors for obvious reasons. You were agreed upon because of your mind not your body."

"It also doesn't hurt that I'm a cripple." I said tapping my walking stick on the concrete. "There is little chance such dignified young ladies would find me the least bit attractive. The accident that cracked my spine also did a number on my face. I know how hideous I appear. I have learned to deal with it and all that it entails. I just want a chance to make something of my life."

"Fairly spoken," a new voice said and we both looked to see the formidable Titania Faewood standing nearby.

"I hate it when you do that." Gwen snapped at her superior. "Heels. How the hell can you move that quietly in heels?"

"Spoilers," the stunning redhead laughed. "London. I was born in London and went to university at Oxford. I picked you for your tenacity Mr. Morgenstern. You have a keen intellect and a way with imparting lessons to young people. Piss off Gwen. I'll give him the nickel tour and show him where he will be sleeping." Gwen stalked off and Titania slipped her arm in mine. "Let's show you where you'll be teaching first. All your classrooms are on the first floor. I may be a bitch, but I am not cruel."

"Thank you, Ms. Faewood." I said, and she clucked her exquisite pink tongue.

"We'll have none of that. You will call me Titania and I will address you anyway I happen to be feeling at the time. I am mercurial by nature. Weather the storm and you'll find this place more than a job."

"I didn't think any of the students were here yet." I said spotting a door open and three girls skulking down the hall.

"You have keen eyes John." She said softly. "You! Stop right there! Don't make me chase you three, again."

We met the girls halfway. They fidgeted with head downcast as Titania grilled them about sneaking into forbidden areas of the school. It was clear by the dirt and dust on their clothes that they had been up to no good. She called them by their last names and that made things worse for them.

"Trespassing." Titania said the singular word and the girls protested instantly. "I have warned you three before about exploring the basement. I have told you on multiple occasions how dangerous it can be. I must have failed to get my side of things clearly understood. Your mothers went to St. Sebastian's and would be crushed if I failed to accept you three for your senior year. Is there somewhere else you'd rather graduate from?"

The three were instantly contrite but even I could see that it was a momentary guilt. That is when things shifted and Titania turned to me and let me come up with an appropriate punishment. The girls looked at me and I saw a mix of anger and panic. I was an unknown element.

"I took a train here. I graduated from Vanderbilt. I took the time to do some research. I like to know what kind of situation I am getting myself into. You three aren't quite legendary yet but close. I went through news articles and found the footprints of your extracurricular activities. You like breaking and entering abandoned places. I think that shows an over indulgent curiosity. If you were my students I would ban you from all the school's clubs. No music. No drama. No sports."

They got downright pissed off that a stranger could ruin their lives with so little thought to their punishment. Titania put her foot down and they fell silent.

"Jennifer Leonetti, you've been the first chair clarinet for three years now. I think that would leave an opening for Clara Oswald. She's been trying to get that position for a long time. Dee O'Rourke, you've managed to get the leading part in every play this school has put on since your freshman year. And you, Tera Lindstrom, you've managed to make team captain for the lacrosse team two years running. I think Mr. Morgenstern has chosen a specifically impactful punishment. Should I impose it?"

I saw genuine fear this time. It was clear they didn't like me, but they did respect me. It was a beginning. The girls could leave under the warning that they should return once school began a week from today. The trio raced off and we continued the tour. I did stop and peek behind the door the girls had appeared from. Titania clucked her tongue again. I was told that not just students were banned from the basement. I closed the door and I was shown the layout of the first floor. It was odd. There was something decidedly familiar about the design. It was annoyingly elusive, but I gave up trying to recall that bit of memory for now.

"Let's show you where you will be sleeping." Titania said taking my arm again. "The building once housed the live-in staff that helped maintain the grounds and clean the school a great number of years ago. It didn't take much to convert it back for human habitation. The structure was used to house sports and club materials. I hope you like it."

My disability made it a long drawn out affair. I had to rest once we reached the out building. I was sweating and out of breath as I dropped down into the nearest chair. Titania remained silent and neither apologized nor asked if I needed anything. Once I had recovered we walked around the surprisingly large apartment. It had three stories, but I would spend most of my time on the first floor. I took up the challenge and walked up the steps to see the second floor. I was amazed at the gymnasium she had placed up here. She offhandedly said that if I wanted to strengthen my muscles I had that opportunity. I could work out in privacy. The machines were specifically designed for a user to work out alone and had increased safety measures built in.

"There is a full bath in the rear. It even has a tub you can sit in and enter quite easily. There is also a large shower that dates to the days we had a soccer team. This had been their workout facility. A former student donated an obscene amount of money for the lacrosse team. Their building is much nicer than this one."

"Thank you, I won't disappoint you."

She left me there to take my time and walk down the steps. I was half way down the steps when the front door opened, and the busty black-haired beauty stomped in carrying my luggage.

"O'Rourke isn't it?" I asked as she stood up.

"Yeah, Morgenstern... you really did your homework." She growled with hands on curvy hips.

"I anticipated you'd do something within the first week. So, I put some thought to a proper reaction. It is nothing personal you drew a lot of attention on yourselves."

"I have to get the rest of your stuff. No, sit down. I don't want you overdoing it on your first day. Welcome to St. Sebastian's."

Dee returned a few minutes later with the last of my belongings. She left immediately, and I heard giggling from outside. Her two cohorts were waiting for her outside. I sensed a trap. I got to my feet and closed the front door. I searched the first floor and found nothing out of place. Damn them! I fought my way back up to the second floor. I found their entrance and exit point. A window at the rear of the building with a fire escape attached to it is where they crept in while Dee kept me busy. I searched the rest of the floor and found nothing. The bathroom was the last room I checked. I hit the light switch and half the lights weren't working. It was dimly lit, and shadows were everywhere. I went to the first dark fixture over one of the three sinks. I reached into the frosted glass fixture and turned the light bulb inside. It came to life. The little shits had unscrewed them as a joke. I worked my way towards the back wall screwing in the loose bulbs. I stood in front of the last sink and regarded my reflection in the mirror.

"You are one ugly motherfucker." I intoned the line made famous by the former California governor.

It didn't help that my ruined features were offset by a mutation I possessed. My left eye was a bright green while the left an icy blue. My heterochromia made me look like I was blind in one eye. I fought the bout of self-pity. I was a teacher at a post any other man or woman would kill to have. I was turning to leave when I noticed it. It looked like a yellow sticky note. It was on the floor near the showers. I walked over and with some difficulty dropped down to one knee and picked it up. I had to clench my fist around it as a sudden spasm in my leg nearly knocked me over. I got to my feet and stood there gasping in pain. Angry I opened my fist and saw that the writing was on the wrong side of the note. I peeled the sticky part off my palm and flipped it over. There were two words written on it and damn it if I didn't fall for the trap.

"Above you." I said and looked up. "Aw shit!"

Several plastic bags with a milky blue liquid were attached to the ceiling. They ruptured, and their contents hit their target, me. I sputtered as the fluid hit me with my mouth open and I swallowed instinctively. The chemical smell and taste was overwhelming. I was surprised that my eyes didn't burn. I spat out what little was left in my mouth and peeled off my soaked clothing. I let my cane fall to the floor as I limped over to the showers and turned on the water. I got it to a good temperature and stood beneath it. I tilted my head up and opened my mouth to wash out the chemical taste. It was a mistake. Whatever had been in those bags reacted to the water. I shrieked in pain as my body erupted in uncontrolled spasms. I tried to get into a fetal position, but I failed. I had no control over my limbs or bladder. I pissed myself because of the agony. I barely heard their voices over my cries of pain.

"Oh shit!" Dee cursed. "I think we overdid it this time."

"He isn't dying," Jennifer declared even if her voice betrayed her. "The notes said if the subject had heterochromia this one would trigger a positive genetic change."

"His eyes are two colors." Tera said backing up Jennifer. "We did everything right."

"He even turned on the showers like we planned." Jennifer snickered proud of her planning.

"Don't forget the note was my idea." Dee practically shouted. "He wouldn't have gotten it in his eyes or mouth without that."

"Yeah... yeah..." Tera intoned. "It's happening. He's changing."

"Look at his face." Jennifer said in a hushed voice.

I lost consciousness as my head felt like it was on fire. I was saved the anguish my body endured without me. I woke up with ice cold water falling on me. I hopped up to my feet and shut off the water. It took me a moment to realize what had happened. What the hell? The chronic pain that had haunted me for eight years was gone. The weakness had left me, and I could walk with ease. It was a miracle. I fought the urge to shout in joy. I walked over to the mirror and looked at my reflection. I didn't recognize it. The change was so extreme I doubt my mother would be able to pick me out of a crowd. I had a full beard and my hair hit the middle of my back. Both were unruly and in need of some tender loving care.

What was in those plastic bags? I looked at the ceiling, but they had removed any sign of the trap. I would have to wait and be patient. I left the bathroom and saw that it was dark outside. I had been asleep for hours! It would take time to make such drastic changes. I walked down the steps and my belongings were gone. I went into the bedroom and found my empty luggage on the closet floor. They had put away my clothes for me. My guess was that if anyone came in and found me it would look like I put my things away before I collapsed. They were clever I had to hand that to them. My stomach growled, and I was craving a salad. My pants barely fit but replacing my clothes would have to wait. I dressed and settled on a t-shirt since my button up shirts were too small now. My chest was more developed now and my upper arms too large for the sleeves. There were so many questions that needed answers. First thing was eating and stocking up on food.

I drove to the grocery store and was still dealing with the lack of pain and my new-found mobility. I was in such a good mood, but my shaggy appearance drew unwanted attention. The security guard kept walking by as I looked over which kind of lettuce I wanted for my salad. I took both. I checked out and the girl ringing me up kept glancing at me.

"Coma." I told her.

"What?"

"I was in a coma. I just got out of the hospital. I haven't had a chance of getting to a barber. I don't suppose you know a place."

She did. In fact, her mom owned it. I left with a promise to go the next day and have her mom create my new image. As I walked to my car I unwrapped a candy bar I had bought. I was munching on it when I passed Titania as she was walking in. She stopped and looked at me. A slow smile forming on her lips. She apologized for staring and continued into the store. It must have been my eyes. I returned to the campus and fixed that salad I was craving so bad. It seemed like even my taste buds had gotten an upgrade. I took out my laptop and checked my email. I had over twenty emails from my mom alone. The subject lines seemed like she was worried about me. I opened the latest one and there was a tirade of variations of where the hell are you. I looked down at the date and time in the lower right-hand corner and realized why she was so upset.

"Five days!" I said as my brain went into shock. "I laid there for almost a week... holy shit!"

I grabbed my phone. It was switched off. The girls again. I powered it up and called my mother. She picked it up on the second ring.

"WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN?"

"I am fine. Tell me you didn't call the cops."

"No. I wasn't sure, and I didn't want to cause problems. You start your new job and perhaps you were out celebrating. What happened?" She said her voice cracking as she wept.

"I... I... I don't know how to explain this. Let me take a photo and I'll send it to you. It is me and this isn't a joke okay."

"Fine. As long as you are safe and healthy." She replied.

It was my first selfie. I sent it to her and waited on her response. I barely heard her as she whispered my name.

"It is you." She gasped. "How? What happened?"

I told her what had happened. I didn't leave out any details. Her shock turned to understanding. I barely made out what she was saying. I waited on her to talk it out. She fell silent after a bit.

"Mom. What is going on? You know something."

"Remember my uncle Will? Everybody thought he was crazy. Some of the shit that came out of his mouth sounded bat shit crazy. Now I am not so sure. What are you going to do? What about your job?"

"I have no clue." I said feeling the air leave my psychic balloon. "So, what did Will know?"

"During the Cold War the government took over St. Sebastian's. They turned it into a high-tech lab. They used the school as a cover and everything important happened under the school..."

"Holy shit! Those girls had come out of the basement. A basement that is out of bounds to everyone."

"They must have found one of the labs." Mom continued. "You said that they had read notes on the chemical they used on you. You must be careful son. If the government is involved the principal or other members of the staff could be undercover agents. Call me when you figure it out. If you want to come home your room will be ready."

"Thanks mom. I'll be in touch."

I hung up, so I could take in what I had learned and the logic behind them. I set my phone down and paced. I caught a faint flowery aroma in the air. I had a flash of memory connecting that scent to Titania. I greeted her without turning around. She chuckled as I looked over my shoulder. The front door was open, and she was back lit by the full moon hanging overhead.

"I knew it was you." She purred. "Damn you need a shave and a haircut."

"I'm on top of that." I said, and she smiled. "I got a bottle of wine."

"No, I doubt I'd be able to stomach it." Titania said crossing the distance between us. "It really did a number on you. I wasn't sure they'd use it on you or not."

"Duh, you set it out for them to find." I replied as she pressed her body to mine. "I thought it was strange when you asked for a photo before my interview. Am I just a piece on your chessboard?"

"No, the lab is going to be gutted. I have spent the last six months looking to pair treatments with people. You are the only one I found in time. Two days from now they are coming to either destroy or take the research that is down there."

"How much do you know about the treatment as you call it that I received?"

"Nothing. I was hired like those before me to make sure no one got down there. Most of the notes were way beyond my reading level. I can run this school smoothly and efficiently, but genetic engineering and manipulation is over my head. I took what little I could figure out and you were a great fit. You have heterochromia and got busted up in that accident. I figured what was the worst that could happen."

"I could have died!" I spat as I spun on her. "I have a family that cares about me. What's the point? You did what you thought might help me and it did. I shouldn't get angry. Any idea about the hair and beard?"

"That I do understand," Titania said with a smile. "Every cell in your body has been replaced. Your hair has grown as if seven years have passed. Don't cut your hair too short though."

"I will keep that in mind. Do I still have a job?" I asked needing to know if I should pack or not.

"Of course, you do." She said thoughtfully and then laughed. "That beard is just too much. Good night John."

"Nite."

Project Foreshadow:

I opened my laptop and looked at the time and when sunrise was expected. I had three hours roughly to sneak into the school and discover what I could about the chemicals I had been exposed to. I looked for anything that might help me for this task. I searched the first floor and found nothing. The basement was completely bare. I worked my way upstairs and the second floor was equally unhelpful. I took the steps to the third floor and found a locked door barring my way. I tried the front door key in the lock and turned it. It worked. I opened the door and reached for the light switch. A soft buzzing sound filled the air as the old-fashioned light bulbs flickered to life. I coughed when I was exposed to so much dust. Every surface was covered in a layer of dust. It was a time capsule from a bygone era.

Lost Boy
Lost Boy
5,781 Followers