Lovers, Losers, and Liars

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Sandy watched out the front window as Scott angrily opened his car door and got inside. She expected him to pull out in a rage, but he just stayed there. In the car, Scott called his dad and asked if he could see him.

"Of course, Son, when did you want to come out?"

"Now, Dad, right now. I have something important I need to talk to you about."

Derek could tell he was obviously angry, but where was it aimed? He was worried that Anne had told him more lies. "Scott, it's after six. You're going to hit the end of rush hour traffic. You sure you don't want to wait until the weekend?"

"No, Dad, I have to talk to you now. I need advice."

"Okay, drive carefully, it sounds like you're in a bad mood. Don't try and take it out of the other drivers."

"I won't, I'll see you in a while." Scott took his dad's advice and pulled into his drive a little after eight. Derek met him at the door and invited him into the living room. Scott sat on the couch, scooted his butt to the edge of the seat cushion, and leaned forward with his elbows on his knees. "Dad, Sandy's pregnant."

A million things had been running through Derek's mind as he waited for his son... that was not one of them. "I see," he said, taking a seat where the coffee table separated them. "From your attitude, I'm guessing you're not pleased."

"No, just the opposite; after what you said about me being a great dad, I'm ecstatic."

"Okay, what about Sandy?"

"I think she wants to have the baby, I really do. I could see it in her eyes."

"Then what's the problem?"

"Our parents," he remembered who he was talking to and qualified his statement, "Mom and Mr. and Mrs. Fox, Sandy's folks. They're going to force her to have an abortion."

"She's eighteen, isn't she?"

"Yeah, we're both the same age."

"Then she's an adult; they can't force her to do anything."

"You don't understand; she still lives at home, so do I. There's no way we could get our own apartment and raise a baby."

Derek had a better picture of his son's predicament. "Scott, this roofing job that you have, is that what you really want to do?"

"Heck no, but there's not a lot of work around there. I guess I could get a job in the steel mills; that's probably what I'll have to do, but Jesus, I hate to even think about working there."

"Have you ever thought about going into sales?"

"You mean like selling cars and stuff?"

"And stuff," Derek replied with a smile.

"I don't think I'd be very good at it."

"Why not?"

"I just don't know what to say. We did some roleplay in speech class in high school. I had to sell a red pen to another classmate. When she asked if she could get it in blue, I said I didn't know. My teacher told me I should have asked for the sale by saying, 'Would you buy it if you can?' I had no idea what to say."

Derek cringed at the ridiculous sales technique. "Neither did your teacher. If you'd like to learn sales, I'd be happy to teach you... the right way. It's not easy, Scott, it takes hard work and a lot of studying, but if you're good at it, it can be extremely lucrative.

"Sales is broken down into three basic steps; first, studying. You have to know every product in your line backward and forwards. Know all the pluses and all the minuses. Then, do the same thing with your competition. Know their products as well as your own.

"The second stage is the question-and-answer session. Never sit down with a prospective client and start selling. You start by asking questions. You're sitting across from him because he has a need; find out what it is. When you do that, you're ready for the third step, explain how your product will fill his need. Don't ever lie to him, simply point out how your product will solve his problems. If you can do that, you've made the sale."

Scott sat there pondering the possibilities for a moment. "You really think I could do that?"

"I know you can."

They talked some more and came up with a plan for teaching Scott the ins and outs of salesmanship. His first lesson went well into the night so he slept over. The next day Scott called in sick. His second call was to Sandy. He made sure she was alone and asked if she truly wanted to have an abortion. She started crying and said no. "That's all I wanted to know," he stated. "Don't worry, Honey, everything is going to be all right. I'm at Dad's house right now. I'll be home in a couple of days.

Scott spent the day going on sales calls with his dad. After each call, Scott was asking the right questions. Derek could tell his son was already picking up on certain aspects and learning fast. That night, they went out to eat and Scott had a ton of questions for his dad.

He called Sandy when they got home. He was full of confidence and enthusiasm. "Sandy, don't let your parents force you to do anything. Everything's going to be okay, I promise."

"But, Scott, how are we..."

"Trust me, Honey, please, and whatever you do, don't get an abortion."

"But Dad's really pressuring me; what'll I tell him?"

"Just stall him, I'll talk to him myself as soon as I get back."

"Are you still at your dad's?"

"Yeah, but I'll be back tomorrow night."

Scott spent the next day going on sales calls with his dad again. He was in awe of his dad's sales skills. He always knew exactly what to say and when to say it. He was flabbergasted when Derek convinced the sales manager of a large sporting goods store that Leica rifle scopes and binoculars were well worth the added cost.

At dinner, Scott told his dad he was headed home right after they ate. "Sandy's been stalling her parents, but I know her dad, eventually he'll tell her to get it or he'll kick her out. I'm going to go straight over there and talk to him."

"I'm going with you," Derek said, shocking his son.

"Tonight?"

"Yeah, I've worked out a plan for you kids that I hope will change his mind."

"What kind of plan?"

"I'll tell you on the way up there. Can you come back here after we talk to them? I'd like you to spend a couple more days with me. You're learning quickly, but there's still a lot more to learn."

Scott agreed to return after talking to Sandy's parents. On the drive down, Derek laid out his plan for his son and fiancée. It was almost seven-thirty when they pulled up to the Fox house. Scott was feeling good and laughed at the shock on Sandy's face as she answered the door. "Mr. Haynes, what are you doing here?"

"Hi, Sandy," he replied, "I came to speak with your parents, are they home?"

"Ah, yeah..."

"Who is it?" They all heard her dad ask from the living room.

"It's... it's Scott and his dad."

"His dad? Well, have them come in."

When Derek greeted them as Mr. and Mrs. Fox, Sandy's dad said to call them John and Lisa. After the introductions were made, they all retired to the kitchen where Lisa made a fresh pot of coffee. The conversation was light until Sandy poured everyone a cup of brew and Derek stated the reason for his visit. Scott immediately recognized his dad's sale technique as he started the conversation.

"John, Lisa, please don't think of me as being rude, but I know the situation and I'm told you want Sandy to have an abortion, is that right?"

It was clear John was the head of the house. Lisa kept quiet while her husband did all the talking. "That's right, Derek, there's no way those two could support themselves and a baby."

"Is the financial situation your only concern?"

"It's the main concern, I also think they're too young to get married."

"I can tell you both love your daughter very much and you're only looking out for her best interest. I also believe that if you had a grandchild, you would love it to pieces, am I correct?"

"Yes, of course, but Derek..."

"Please, John, let me finish. I don't know how much you've heard about my situation, but I was deprived of my son for almost eighteen years. The sense of loss that I felt at first was unbearable. I contemplated ending my life on more than one occasion. Thanks to a very good therapist, I learned to live with that loss, but those feelings never went away. I just learned to function despite them.

"I know you believe this is what's best for Sandy, but she wants this baby, John. Can you even imagine the loss she'll feel if you make her abort it? And what about your own feelings? I can tell you from experience, you're always going to wonder about the grandchild you never had."

"But, Derek, Scott makes about twenty grand a year, Sandy makes even less. Linda and I, together, make about seventy grand. I'm not saying we're broke, but we don't have a lot left over after the bills are paid; and what about after the baby is born? Sandy won't be able to work for a while, and that'll put them deeper in debt. We could help out a little bit but not much. What would they do?"

Scott looked around and knew his dad was winning them over when he saw tears in everyone's eyes, even John's. After discussing it in the car on the way up, he knew this was where his dad closed the sale.

"John," his dad continued, "I don't want to see them struggle either. I'm not saying this to brag but I'm an independent sales rep for a major, worldwide corporation. I make in the upper six figures doing something I'm very good at." John and Lisa looked at each other in shock. Derek resumed, "I will get them an apartment and pay a full year's lease upfront. I'll have all the utility bills sent to me and take care of them as well. In addition, I'll take care of the hospital bills.

"Now, for the last few days, Scott has been going with me on sales calls. He's picking it up fast and I have no doubt I can make him into one heck of a salesman so he can get away from that roofing job.

"Admittedly, it's taken me years of hard work to get where I'm at, but I think Scott's proved he's not afraid of hard work and I'm confident he'll be a good provider.

"What do you think, John—Lisa, should we give the kids a chance?"

No one needed to ask Sandy what she wanted. She jumped up from her seat and burst out crying as she wrapped her arms around Derek and bawled out, "Thank you, thank you, thank you." That brought tears to Scott's eyes.

Lisa was also crying as she hugged John. "We can't force our daughter to have an abortion, John, we just can't."

"I know, Honey, I know," he replied. John looked back over to Derek, "You'll really do all that?"

"Without even blinking an eye, John. The loss of a child in any form is something no one should ever have to go through."

"Then I guess it's a deal."

Hearing that, Sandy and Scott jumped into each other arms and cried tears of overwhelming joy; an emotion that filled the entire room.

After another cup of coffee and constant expressions of gratitude from an appreciative host, it was time to go. Scott asked if they could go to the apartment so he could grab some clean clothes. As they pulled into the parking lot, Derek said he'd wait in the car and made Scott promise not to tell his mom he was out there.

When Anne heard the news, she also was glad the abortion would not take place but learning it was Derek who saved the day was another nail in her coffin. Scott didn't mention his dad was there and his mother never thought to ask.

At his dad's suggestion, Scott called the roofing company the next morning and quit. He spent the next week with Derek, learning more and more every day. At the end of the week, he was anxious to put everything he'd learned into practice. Saturday morning, Derek took them to a little restaurant that was famous for its breakfast menu. It was the perfect opportunity to talk.

"Dad, a little while ago I mention car sales and you weren't too keen on it, why not?"

"There's nothing wrong with it, everyone needs a car; it's just not the best paying job, that's all."

"Yeah, but you said yourself it took you years to get where you are now, you had to start somewhere, right?"

"Yeah, of course. I was selling for Rick's Camera Sales when I was married to your mother. That's mainly where I learned about selling. Rick was a master. He sold for another camera store and made enough to open his own.

"Why, were you offered a job?"

"Not exactly, but there's a Chrysler dealership in town that has an ad in the paper for salesmen just about every week. I'll bet I could walk in there on Monday and get a job."

"Do you know why they have such a heavy turnover for salespeople?"

"No, but I'd still like to give it a try."

"Then, by all means, give it a shot. Just remember everything I taught you. Sales is sales, no matter what you're selling."

With his dad's blessing, Scott left for home on Sunday. He gave his mom the Reader's Digest version of what he was going to do, then headed over to pick up Sandy. When he told her he had already quit his job and described his plans for the immediate future, she was delighted. She had confidence in her man.

Scott was right on with his assessment of the dealership. He put on his only suit and was waiting at the door when they opened Monday morning. An hour later he had a desk in the corner of the showroom and was told each salesperson took walk-ins in rotation, he, of course, was at the bottom.

At first, he watched and listened to the other salespeople and was amazed they made any sales at all. After a little while, he went around to every car in the showroom and took the owner's manuals to study. Next, he got permission to test drive some of the cars from the lot. He played with all the knobs and buttons and learned the capabilities of each model.

He called his dad on Wednesday. "Dad, I just sold my first car."

"Already?"

"Yup, I did just did what you taught me. The first thing I asked him was what he liked and didn't like about the car he was driving. We went over to my desk and talked for almost an hour. I kept asking questions; what was most important to him, was status important or was he looking for basic transportation? I asked every question I could think of.

"I can tell you why this place is always looking for salespeople; nobody here knows how to sell. When they sit down with a customer it turns adversarial right away and they start dickering over price.

"By the time I was done asking questions, Mr. Conners knew I was there to help him find the right car. There was nothing adversarial about it. I picked out the keys to three cars and we test-drove each one. He picked the second one and didn't even negotiate when I gave him a fair price right off the bat. I made over four-hundred dollars on the sale. That's as much as I made in a week with the roofing job."

Derek was very proud of his son and told him so. "You keep doing that and you'll be their top salesman in no time. We'll have to celebrate the next time you and Sandy come out."

Scott sold two more cars by the end of the week. His first paycheck was a little more than a thousand dollars. He was so proud he had to show it to everyone before depositing it in his account. The following week he sold five cars, two in one day, and made over fifteen hundred dollars.

That weekend, he and Sandy visited his dad and they went out to a five-star restaurant in celebration of Scott's success. They also made plans. When Derek asked if they'd set a date yet, Sandy said her dad couldn't afford a real wedding so they were just going to go to the Justice of the Peace.

"Oh, no you're not," Derek told them. "You're going to have a real wedding and invite all your friends. I'll pay for it."

"Mr. Haynes, we can't let you do that; you've already done so much."

"Nonsense, Sandy. What's the sense of having money if you can't help the ones you love? I expect you'll want to make it as soon as possible, so start arranging it, just send the bills to me and don't skimp on anything. You'll want flowers, a photographer, hopefully, one who uses a Leica," he joked, "and a nice reception.

"I mean it, get everything arranged, and don't worry about the cost. Also, you'll need somewhere to live after the honeymoon, so scout around and let me know when you pick out an apartment. You'll need at least two bedrooms and I don't want you to skimp there, either. Make sure it's in a nice neighborhood and it's a nice place to live. Send me the information and I'll take care of the rest."

The next two months were busier than a gopher in the middle of a wild stampede. The church was no problem, Sandy's parents were regulars and the pastor had no problem with the schedule; however, it was short notice for any kind of hall for the reception. Everyone was calling around to find a venue. It was Anne who found a beautiful park fieldhouse attached to a glassed-in solarium with plants and flowers. Sandy fell in love with the place when they saw it.

Only one thing was bothering Scott. He called his dad one night to give him an update, after which, he had to ask... "Dad, you're coming, right?"

"Of course, I'm coming."

"You... you know mom will be there too; I can't not invite her."

"Scott, from our first meeting in that park, I knew that sooner or later I'd have to come face to face with your mother. Don't worry, I'm prepared."

A couple weeks before the wedding, Anne walked past Scott's room and saw clothes stretched out across his bed. "Scott, what are you doing?"

"Packing; Sandy and I picked out an apartment and Dad's already paid the lease. Sandy's going to stay with her folks until the wedding, but I'm going to move in so I can have everything ready."

It was another dagger in her heart. "What are you going to do for furniture?"

"We've already picked out the bedroom set, they're delivering it this afternoon. Dad's paying for everything. Tomorrow we're going to look for a couch and some kitchen stuff."

She could hardly contain herself. "So this is it? You're leaving me."

"Mom, you knew this was coming. Don't worry, we'll be around. The apartment's only about fifteen minutes from here. You should see it; they have an indoor pool, tennis courts, and a little park with in-ground gas grills. It's really nice."

Anne forced a smile and told him she was happy for him, but in reality, she could hardly bear the thought of not having her son by her side. Through all the problems she endured through the years, they had been inseparable.

Anne didn't see or hear much from Scott over the next couple of weeks. Between his job and getting the apartment ready to move in, he just didn't have time for much more.

By the time the big day arrived, Scott was selling six to seven cars a week, sometimes more. To make sure he stuck around, the dealership gave him a brand-new demo to drive.

Scott was waiting outside the church and watched with great relief when his dad pulled in. "Thank goodness, Dad, I wasn't sure you were coming."

Derek looked at his watch, "Scott, I'm twenty minutes early."

"I know, but with Mom here and everything, I was afraid you might change your mind."

"Son, a volcanic eruption in the middle of a typhoon during an earthquake wouldn't have stopped me from watching my boy get married," he replied with a chuckle.

Scott hugged his dad for the first time since they'd met. "Thanks again, Dad. You don't know what this means to us. Now, when we go inside, the front pews are reserved for family. Sandy's mom and dad are on the left and you and Mom are on the right. She's already in there. I have to go around to the side and enter through the rectory."

"Okay," he said with a nod of his head. "I'm going to wait out here for a little while before going in." Derek reached into his breast pocket and pulled out an envelope. "I know you guys didn't have anything planned for a real honeymoon and didn't want to tell me, so I got you this," he said, handing the envelope to Scott.

"What's this?"

"Open it."

Scott carefully lifted the flap and removed a travel agency folder.

"It's a four-day, five-night cruise. It leaves Monday at five in the evening from Miami. Your flight takes off from O'Hare earlier that morning. Your itinerary is all in there. I would have booked you for a week, but the longer cruises all leave on Sunday and I didn't know if you'd be able to make it on such short notice."