Mending Broken Flowers

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"My pleasure, Mr. Meynard," Gabriel said and put Lily's suitcase and back pack down.

"Okay, see you tonight?" Lily asked, craning up for a kiss.

"No, Sweetheart, remember? I told you, I'm working on that web page? Of course, I'm sure my mom won't like it, but I'm trying to get her to go on the Internet," Gabriel said. "I'm almost finished; just want to get it done so I can have it up and running before Christmas, IF she does approve of it."

"Plus that, Honey, I'm sure Gabriel's exhausted, driving all that way, then all the way back," Cheryl interjected.

"Call me," Lily said as Gabriel left the house.

----

Gabriel worked on the demo version of the web site and its various links, not realizing what time it was, until his eyes were dry.

Two o'clock," he muttered. "Too late to call her."

He fell into his bed and slept until the smell of coffee woke him the next morning.

----

Lily borrowed her mother's car and drove to Delphi's Diner in DeGarde to meet with Peggy, Heather, Jeanette, and Marianne.

Peggy, true to her natural self, was the loudest, and the most explicit of the five, telling them (and everyone else in the restaurant) all about her difficulties in pregnancy.

"Worse fucking thing is I'm so God damned horny!" Peggy exclaimed.

She looked at Lily.

"How about you? Keeping Gabriel satisfied?" she asked.

"Yes!" Lily hotly affirmed.

"Too bad," Peggy cackled. "God, I'd love to get him to pound my butt hole a couple of times again!"

"What? Eeeww!" Lily screeched in disgust.

"Oh no, Baby, Gabriel? When it comes to corn holing, he's the best!" Peggy declared. "Right Jeanette?"

"I wouldn't know; we never did that," Jeanette denied.

"And never will!" Lily declared.

"Can we change the subject? I'm eating here," Heather said, wrinkling her nose in disgust.

"Yeah? And how is that chocolate pie?" Jeanette teased.

"That's it; I'm leaving," Heather announced, shoving the pie away.

----

"Wow, Lily did that to you?" Iris teased as an exhausted Gabriel came into the shop.

"Nope, not this time," Gabriel smiled.

He set the laptop on the counter and plugged it in.

"Let me show you something; tell me what you think," Gabriel said, waiting for the screen to come up.

"Nice laptop," Iris said. "Mine's all falling apart and I still got that dial-up, believe that?"

"Uh huh, by the way, how much you got left?" Gabriel asked.

"About two semesters, I think," Iris shrugged.

"You think? What's your advisor say?" Gabriel asked and brought up the web page he'd been working on.

"Ooh, that is nice," Iris complimented, nodding as Gabriel showed her the various links

"See, you're planning a funeral, just go here and it brings up this page," Gabriel explained and then brought up the page.

"Miss Annie, you got to come see this," Iris enthused as Annie waddled in from the back of the shop.

Without even looking at it, Annie vetoed it.

----

Lily fought hard against the jealousy and anger that was balling up in her guts; she knew Gabriel had dated Peggy, years ago. And she knew he had dated Jeanette, also years ago. She didn't buy Jeanette's denial about anal sex for a minute.

Gabriel had tried a few times to introduce a finger to her anus, but Lily had very quickly and forcefully pushed his finger away.

"Don't give it to him, he'll just find someone who will," she spat angrily.

"And Iris was working there, right next to Gabriel," Lily thought. "God knows, that stupid bitch would let him do that, just to rub my face in it."

"Thank God Daisy doesn't work there!" Lily said aloud.

Lily was in a foul mood by the time she returned from her meeting with the girls.

Even her mother's announcement that Gabriel and Gabriel's mother would be guests at their table for Thanksgiving dinner did not soften her mood.

----

Thanksgiving Day was cold, rainy, and miserable. Daisy did not help by constantly flirting with Gabriel, constantly thrusting her breasts, or buttocks in Gabriel's face.

By the time Travis, Gabriel, Forest and Travis' ever present shadow, Angelique retired to the den to watch football; Lily was ready to commit homicide.

"Daisy, you need to apologize," Iris cautioned her younger sister.

"But I'm not sorry," Daisy hissed back.

"Doesn't matter; that's her boyfriend," Iris hissed.

"Not if I can help it," Daisy smiled.

"Daisy, stop!" Iris said. "Damn it, Daisy, you can have any guy you want; Lily's lucky to even get one. Let her have him!"

"No, Lily can just find herself some other guy; I want Gabriel," Daisy said.

"You even LOOK at him again, I swear to God I will fucking gut you like a pig," Lily snarled, holding a large carving knife in her hand.

"No, Lily, stop," Iris screeched, stepping between Lily and Daisy.

"Get the fuck out of the way, Iris; I'll kill you too," Lily screamed.

"Oh, my God, what in the hell is going on in there?" Cheryl said, getting up from the table.

Cheryl ignored the large knife in her daughter's hand, just grabbed a handful of Lily's hair and shooed the terrified Daisy and Iris out of the kitchen.

"Put that down," she ordered and Lily put the large knife on the counter.

"Now, what in God's name is worth killing your sisters for?" she asked softly and hugged the now sobbing Lily tightly.

"I love him so much, Momma, and Daisy keeps trying to steal him and I know she can do it 'because she's so much prettier than I'll ever be and..." Lily sobbed.

"Says who?" Cheryl asked.

"Says everybody!" Lily yelled.

"Does Gabriel? Does Gabriel ever say she's prettier than you?" Cheryl asked.

Lily shook her head no.

"Then I don't see what the problem is," Cheryl said, smoothing her daughter's hair.

Cheryl kissed her daughter on the forehead, and then left the kitchen.

"You, upstairs, NOW," she ordered Daisy.

"But," Daisy started to protest.

"I said, upstairs. Now, it was not a suggestion," Cheryl hissed through her teeth, grabbing a handful of Daisy's hair and hoisting her out of her seat.

"How long I got to...?" Daisy asked, rubbing her head where Cheryl had pulled her hair.

"Until I say you can come down," Cheryl snarled.

"Kids, huh? Be glad you only had one," Cheryl said to Annie, taking another sip of her coffee.

"No, I did have another," Annie said quietly.

"Oh, oh, Annie! I am so sorry; I completely forgot about Anita!" Cheryl gasped, putting a hand to her mouth.

----

Gabriel again made the four hour drive to Ruston, then the four hour drive back to Bender. A despondent Lily sat in the passenger seat, staring out the window at nothing.

"At least he ain't using no more," she said when they pulled up in front of the funeral home.

Annie was seething with rage, but kept her face passive, bland.

A drug addict, a waste of a human being, that had not contributed anything to society for at least three years, deserved a nice viewing room for his funeral. Her Eddie, a sweet, loving man, who worked the Midnight shift at the mattress factory, that paid taxes that provided for his step-son and daughter and wife deserved no better than a supply closet.

Her daughter, an innocent little three year old was shoved into a corner, but a thief, a scavenger, and a parasite, rated an elaborate presentation.

Her rage boiled to the surface, though, when Gordon Ziegler actually showed up.

"What in the fuck are you doing here, you poor excuse for a human being?" she hissed hatefully at him

"Hey, hey, Charlie and I were buds in school, remember?" Gordon defended himself.

Annie saw Gabriel and Lily enter and decided against berating Gordon any further. She did not want to have to introduce her son to Gordon. Knowing how difficult Gabriel could be, Gabriel would most likely want to establish a relationship with Gordon.

For once, Lily forgot her animosity toward her sisters as they mourned the loss of their father.

Annie watched through slit eyes as Gordon approached the three girls and her son.

"Hello, I um, I was a friend of your dad's; when we were in school together," Gordon quietly offered, not taking his eyes off of Iris.

"Oh, hi, um, thanks for coming; I'm sure it would have meant a lot to my dad," Iris mumbled, uncomfortable under the man's scrutiny. "He um, he didn't have a whole lot of friends recently."

"Yeah, well, you know how it is," Gordon weakly offered. "I mean, I moved, you know? I'm in Lafayette now and uh..."

Annie gritted her teeth as Iris introduced Lily and Daisy to Gordon. Lily, of course, introduced Gabriel to the man.

"Yeah, yeah, good to meet you," Gordon barely acknowledged Gabriel as he again turned his attention to Iris. "Um, here, um, you ever need anything, you just give me a call, you hear?"

He handed Iris one of his business cards, then gave the girl a lingering hug.

"Ew, what a sleaze bag," Iris shuddered, crumpling up the business card.

"Really, I feel like I need a shower, with a S.O.S. pad," Lily said.

The funeral itself was attended by Charlie's daughters, including Rose and Violet, Cheryl, Justine, Travis and David, Justine's husband, and Annie.

"The flowers are beautiful Justine commented to her husband.

"Thank you," Annie, Gabriel, Iris, and Lily all said, then laughed at one another.

----

"Thank you," Lily said somberly as Gabriel drove her back to Louisiana Tech.

"Welcome," he said and smiled as her small hand rested on his thigh.

"I really don't know what I'd do without you," she whispered.

"Have to drive yourself," he smiled and pulled up in front of her dormitory.

"I know, I know I'm not as beautiful as Iris, or Daisy," she said.

"Lily, you are your own kind of beautiful; to me you're twice as beautiful as either one of them," Gabriel smiled at her.

"And I don't know what you even see in me," she continued as if he hadn't said anything.

Gabriel realized that anything he said would not be heard so kept his mouth shut.

"But I'm glad you're with me," she concluded, gave him a soft kiss, and got out of the car.

"God damn, that boy drove all the way here, come and got you, then drove all the way back just to drop you off?" Brooke asked as Lily entered the lobby of the dormitory.

"Yeah," Lily quietly agreed.

"And you still think he's fucking around on you?" Brooke shook her head in disbelief.

Chapter 8

Gabriel groaned in frustration as the alarm clock woke him for yet another day of work.

Annie had let Iris go; there just wasn't enough work for herself, Gabriel, and Iris, even with Valentine's Day approaching. But now that it was just mother and son, and Annie's considerable bulk made her contribution less and less, Gabriel was doing the lion's share of the work.

And without Iris to deflect her anger, Gabriel took the brunt of Annie's bitterness.

Nothing he did seemed to please her. Any improvements he suggested were tossed aside as frivolous, or pointless, or too expensive.

"Call in sick," Lily suggested, wiggling her bare ass against him.

"Can't; you know that," he groaned again.

"Fine," she huffed and burrowed deeper into the comforter.

Gabriel got out of bed and was able to enter the small bathroom in two steps. The apartment he and Lily shared was sixteen by sixteen, ten by sixteen was their bedroom, living room and kitchen and dining room, and the other six by sixteen were divided into bathroom and closet.

But it was theirs and they were happy together.

Cheryl had merely shrugged when Lily tremulously approached her mother about living with Gabriel.

"What?" Cheryl laughed mirthlessly. "Not like I don't know the two of you are screwing."

Annie was less enthusiastic about her son moving out and living, unmarried, with a girl. Her disappointment was tempered slightly by the fact that the girl was Lily.

"You are just like your father," she hissed. "Fuck the girl all you want, the hell with marrying them, though. Hey, as long as the pussy's free, huh?"

"Work until six, six thirty tonight; thank God I don't have to pull another double," Lily said, stretching and wiggling under the covers.

"Uh huh, hey, um, Lazy Butt, think you could get your fine ass out of bed and fix something?" Gabriel asked, shaving foam on his face.

"French toast?" Lily asked, reaching under the bed for her fuzzy slippers.

"Sounds good," Gabriel agreed, continuing to scrape his face.

"Okay, got to pee first," Lily said, entering the bathroom.

"Damn it, Lily; you can't wait until I'm finished?" Gabriel complained.

"Fuck Gabriel, you could just stay in here," Lily sneered, but Gabriel left the bathroom, firmly shutting the door behind him.

"Damn, don't know what your hang-up is, I swear, Lily said, leaving the bathroom.

"Hey, um, wash those hands?" Gabriel asked.

"Nope, spit on them though; that good enough?" Lily asked, smirking.

Twice, while Gabriel was in the shower, Lily maliciously turned on the hot water faucet in the kitchen. Twice, she smiled in satisfaction as he yelped.

"Love you," he said and gave her a loving kiss before leaving their small apartment.

Lily got ready for her day of work at Abdul's, DeGarde's trendy department store. She worked in the credit department, on the third floor, behind two steel doors and down a long hallway. The typical client of Abdul's never saw this part of the exclusive store.

The closet in the apartment held mostly her clothing; most of Gabriel's wardrobe fit into the small chest of drawers in the bedroom of the apartment.

Once outside, Lily got into Gabriel's Volkswagen and drove to work. She was supposed to be looking for her own car, but was in no hurry; she loved driving his little Bug around.

----

It was a typical work day; Annie spat orders, Gabriel did his best to handle them, then Annie found fault with nearly every effort.

The van was now showing its age, but Annie was resident to the idea of purchasing a new one.

"Then lease one," Gabriel pointed out. "You can lease one for thirty six months, then, when it starts to wear out, just trade it in."

That idea, of course, was rejected.

Gabriel loaded the van with the deliveries and left the shop.

----

Gabriel's cell phone buzzed from its perch on the chest of drawers; Gabriel had forgotten it when he left for work that morning.

Lily fumed when she left yet another message on the phone. She then called the shop.

"Annie's Floral Designs," Annie wheezed into the phone.

"Hi Miss Annie, Gabriel there?" Lily asked.

"Nope, Sweetie, sorry; he's out running a few deliveries," Annie said.

----

"Ah, they are beautiful!" Hashim enthused when Gabriel delivered the flowers for the banquet being held at the restaurant.

"Wow, it smells unbelievable in here," Gabriel commented as he arranged the pedestals and the centerpiece.

"Thank you, here, here, Sundays we do buffet, here, half off buffet, okay?" Hashim said, giving Gabriel a card.

"Thank you; I'll bring my girlfriend," Gabriel smiled.

Gabriel made sure to leave a few strategically placed cards that let the guest know that the beautiful flowers were courtesy of Annie's Floral Designs and left the restaurant. The cards had been his idea, which Annie had nixed, but a laptop, a color printer, and some blank business cards and Annie couldn't very well complain about the few added clients the cards had generated.

----

Lily tried Gabriel's cell phone one more time and bit down her angry outburst when the voice mail picked up again. She then tried the cell phone of the delivery van, which went straight to voice mail.

In the console, the cell phone rested, its battery dead.

----

At five, Annie tried to call Gabriel. His cell phone eventually went to voice mail and the cell phone in the console of the delivery van went straight to voice mail.

Gabriel cursed as he trudged down Highway 19. The van sat, on the side of the two lane blacktop, dead as a doornail.

He was grateful that he had finished the last of his deliveries before it gave a final grinding, then whistling sound and then sputtered to a complete stop.

He dug in his pocket for his cell phone, then opened the console and dug out the store's cell phone, only to see that it was completely drained.

"Your own fault," he muttered to himself. "Forgot to charge it again."

Night had fallen just before five and Gabriel shivered in his thin coat. His heavy coat was at the shop. He didn't know whether to laugh or not when he saw that he only had five more miles to walk before he could get to the pay phone outside of Early's Grocery store.

"Hey Handsome!" Gabriel heard someone call out and he looked up.

Peggy Dupre was behind the wheel of her husband's Mercedes-Benz 350 SL. The two door sports car was a gleaming pearl white with a thin pencil line red stripe down its length.

"Hey Peggy," Gabriel smiled.

"Need a ride or you just want to keep walking?" she asked, smiling.

"Need a ride my legs are about to fall off," Gabriel said and reached for the door handle.

He decided to just go on home; he'd tell his mother about the van's problems in the morning. He was cold, hungry, and tired and in no mood to put up with his mother's anger.

----

Lily watched, face twisted in absolute rage as she watched Peggy Dupre kiss her man and rub her large chest against Gabriel.

"Thanks again, seriously, my legs were about to fall off," Gabriel smiled as he pulled himself out f her embrace.

"Any time, love you," Lily heard Peggy call out.

"You God damned fucking whore," Lily spat as she braced herself to attack Gabriel when he finally came into the apartment.

"Where were you?" she snarled as he opened the apartment door.

"Work," was his baffled response.

"Too busy to answer your phone?" Lily screamed. "I've been trying and trying and it just kept going to voice mail; I guess you were too God damned busy fucking your little whore you couldn't be bothered, huh?"

"Lily hat in the fuck are you talking about?" Gabriel sighed.

"I saw you!" she screamed.

The downstairs neighbor banged on the ceiling.

"Saw me what?" Gabriel asked, trying to calm Lily down.

"Saw you with that fucking slut!" Lily screamed.

"She gave me a ride!" Gabriel screamed back. "Van broke down, I was walking down Highway nineteen; she saw me and gave me a ride!"

"Two can play that game," Lily snarled, lowering her voice to a growl.

"What game, Lily? What game am I playing?" Gabriel yelled nerves at the breaking point.

The neighbor pounded on the ceiling again.

"I can fuck around on you just as easily as you fuck around on me," Lily snarled.

"Lily, I am not fucking around on you," Gabriel pleaded.

"Watch," Lily spat. "I'm going out; I'll get me a little dick, then when I come back, you and me are going to have us a little talk."

"Walk out that door, don't come back," Gabriel warned.

"Bye," Lily almost giggled.

"Uh uh, give me my keys, bitch, you ain't using my car to go fucking around in," Gabriel demanded.

She dug around in her purse, pulled out his car keys and slapped them into his hand.

"Bye," she said happily and let the apartment.

Gabriel sat for a moment, then got a beer out of the refrigerator, drank it down in one gulp, then got a second beer.

----

Lily walked the nine blocks to her mother's house. Daisy loaned her car to Lily; she wasn't using it as she was too busy studying.

Ever since their father's death, Lily, Iris, and Daisy had been getting along.

Actually, since Thanksgiving, Daisy realized that Lily was not to be played with. Gabriel was cute enough, but he wasn't worth serious bodily harm.

Lily had no intention of screwing around on Gabriel; she loved him too much for that. But she also had no intention of letting him think he could screw around on her without consequences.

She drove herself to the movie theater and sat watching a not very funny comedy.

1...7891011...13