Midnight Ep. 014: I.nseC.U.rity

Story Info
Nick tracks Esteban. Midnight feuds with family her way.
5.6k words
4.57
2.8k
0
2
Story does not have any tags

Part 14 of the 32 part series

Updated 09/14/2022
Created 08/11/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

(This series is a collaboration with my good friend Sanchez. His ideas, I ran with it. We will see how it evolves. He has a sound concept, and characters, I'm primarily piecing it all together and seeing how it plays out. We hope you enjoy our efforts.)

___________________________________________

MIDNIGHT Episode 014: InseCUrity

___________________________________________

Nearing Midnight...in more ways than one...

"Excuse me? Where can we find Midnight Amador?"

Veronica Redmane and her boyfriend William Gullivant had found their way to Cordoba after hearing of a fire at the Amador property. With the help of an old scanner that Will's dad Niles kept in his garage they were lucky enough to be listening while there for dinner. Niles liked to keep abreast of things around Caretaker over the scanner be it weather, or local police and fire calls. Steaks on the grill were quickly sidelined. After checking with Caretaker PD Niles learned that Irene Amador was taken to Cordoba. Once confirmed it was a no brainer for William to borrow his father's truck and hurry to Midnight's side. Friends were there for one another no matter what.

"Still in ICU. Family members?"

"Midnight's my sister." Veronica blurted out. As far as she was concerned that was true if in reality not even close. Same tribe...technically.

"So, Irene is your mother?" Nadine the nurse asked, it was her job.

"Yep! Where's Mommy? Is she alright?" Not quite Oscar caliber in her performance but passing.

"The doctors are still with her. I'll buzz you through those doors right there. The rest of your family are in the waiting room on the right."

"Thank you so much." V grabbed Will's hand and drug him from the nurse's station. Will feared her lying would get them banned. Once past the doors the real sweating began. Noting Deputy Darcy Grainger bringing a white smock into the waiting room V hurried them along faster. At the glass wall Veronica looked in to find the room crowded. "Nick's here too."

"Wonder why he's here?" Will flared his eyes then spotted Midnight Amador removing her blanket as if not a care in the world. He had known Midnight for years, but never once had he realized just how fine her body was. Like Sheldon Cooper he had to divert his gaze or get a hard on from hell. Barging right in alone Veronica rushed over to Midnight before the girl could even get her arm through her first sleeve. Hugging her dramatically meant overlooking her nudity. V didn't care, she was a free spirit herself and with emotions running rampant the smock fluttered to the floor.

Deputy Darcy Grainger grumbled at Nick Sanchez, "At this rate she's never going to get dressed."

"That a problem?" He smirked, Darcy shaking her head silently mouthed, "Wish I could." He took it as her wishing she could allow it until a second mumble led to, "I hate clothing." Interesting! Nick simply shrugged her innocent flirtation off and bent over to pick the smock up and drape it over Midnight's back. "Break it up she needs to cover herself." He met eyes with Veronica.

"What happened?" V eased from their embrace to look at her best friend's glossy eyes.

"I think Father started the fire. Mother is still unconscious." Midnight managed to get her arms through the smock's sleeves and V took over pulling the front together. Assisting in buttoning her up Midnight swatted her friend's hand to prevent too many from being attached.

"Who let you in Redmane?" Midnight's Uncle, Mordecai Sage snapped with bitterness, "You are not immediate family, nor are you welcome here."

"She is my family." Midnight spoke up.

"Outcasts!" He sneered. Nick was not approving of the anger in his heritage.

"Leave her alone."

"You dare to speak to me like that? You are not family either."

"Oh, for God's sake Mordecai...do I have to slap you silly?" His sister Matilda raised a palm with every intention of following through. "At a time like this you need to just shut the hell up."

"You know she will." Their mother Dorothy frowned and patted her son's hand. He grew grim but silenced his bitterness, if not his glare of hatred.

"Some Minister you are." Tilly sighed heavily. "Pray for your sister." Nick overhearing his occupation nearly chuckled. To Nick the man needed to have a few demons exorcised himself. He was glad he didn't have to deal with him on a daily basis or the guy would have had his ass handed to him. Bloody pulpit!

"I need to head back and help look for Esteban." Deputy Grainger informed the family. "I'll call you if we locate him." She then rubbed Tilly on the back, "Keep them in line." A point at Mordecai with a stern look for him to behave went over well, she being white. Before he could even react, she patted the folded handcuffs on her hip as a threat. "I'll say my own prayers, Pastor." Turning away Nick followed her into the hall where Sheldon and Will Gullivant were chatting.

"Call me directly! I didn't give Dolan my number." He shared his digits.

"No offense...Mr. Sanchez? Giving me your number, I might as well turn myself in for sending you dirty pictures after dark." She winked, "Don't panic I'm joshing you."

"No, you're not! Keep your uniform on."

"So... you and Midnight?" She had to ask.

"None of your business."

"Right! She's a good girl...don't hurt her."

"Worry more about finding her father."

"Yep!" Darcy put her hat on and left the ICU. On the outside she ran into another arrival in Midnight's co-worker Naomi. Former co-worker now that Midnight had quit the diner, friend none the less. A quick fill in of info Naomi sat in the lobby just to be there for the girl.

Reaching her squad car Darcy noticed Sheriff Dolan Roster pulling up. Holding off on getting in she stepped over to Dolan's car waiting on he and Caprice Comstock to get out. Eying Caprice running on ahead to join Naomi in the lobby, Darcy shook her head.

"Running late getting here Dolan. Pitstop?"

"Something like that." He winked at his all too smart Deputy. "Any word on Irene?"

"Nothing yet. Still alive as far as I know. She got lucky."

"Yes, Irene did."

"I meant Caprice." Darcy patted Dolan on the abs, "You need a shower Boss you smell like perfume and... you know."

"That bad?"

"The scent or your timing?"

"Go find Amador." He scowled and swatted Darcy on the ass. Sexual misconduct? As if anyone in Caretaker PD would turn on one another. Darcy was just as bad. In her car Grainger pulled away and headed for her home turf. Dolan started inside then had a moment of pause to sniff his shirt. "I do smell incriminating. Dammit!"

Across the street from the parking garage near a dumpster a Harley revved up. Pulling out slowly a certain Oliver Heavy Feather who had been there for nearly an hour now calculated Dolan's travel time. He was not happy!

********

3:00 AM

Duncan's Drydock Boatyard for the deceased...

Snoring rose the dead within the once proud fishing boat christened long ago as the Sirene. Within its shadowy hold lie an old mattress and what few possessions that helped make it a home. Stirring from a drunken stupor and an alarm clock of clinking bottles all drained of moonshine whiskey a fearful shadow hisses and runs from being stepped on in crawling from the womb. Startled by the following squall of a cat in pain, a recognition gripes over a hangover from hell.

"Get out from under my foot then. Bloody hisser!" A feminine but slightly raspy voice rattled about until she could light a lantern to see by. Once illuminated a medium build woman with a gray mop of long sorely needing to be washed hair sits up naked, with the exception of a long matted faux fur coat she cherished, a cozy blanket part time. In search of her fuzzy house slippers, her cat at first mistaken she found herself mumbling incoherently. He needed a foot up his ass anyway she thought.

Shantel Bigelow was a squatter without a real home, like many misfortunate people, her life was bound for whatever was available. Being an alcoholic for the last 30 years had not been favorable in any real-life scenario, resorting to whatever kept her warm and somewhat dry. Crawling to her feet with effort, her bed being so low to the floor sent her staggering about, her ignorant boat cat Gilligan hissing a second round of tail stomped on torture. "Stop that before I piss down my leg." It wouldn't have been the first time.

Creaking a door open and shuffling out into the early morning air she climbs down a metal ladder to the ground and sways in step a good twenty feet from her home and lifts her fur to avoid peeing on it while she squatted in the weeds. Shaking off her final drops, she stood up and winced at a smoldering garbage can and hobbles to it for a bit of warmth. Kicking a moonshine jug in the darkness she bent to pick it up sniffing the uncorked spout. Shrugging she took a drink and shook it off as her morning coffee. "That just put a few extra hairs on my bosom."

A squint down at the grass she found her snoring Prince Charming. Kicking his boot heel to rile him she growled, "Wake up and give your ole' lady some lovin'." With not an easy revival she bent down next to Esteban Amador and put her body weight into rolling him over on his back. That man was out cold! Fondling his crotch she sighed, "So much for pole dancin'." A jingle in his pants pocket she reached in for pocket change and car keys. Holding the keys up with awe she smiled with a few missing teeth. Another ambushed roll to his side Shantel swiped his wallet and chuckled.

"You just sleep in my hard-working Prince. Momma Shantel is gonna go get us some breakfast and clean up under my coochie in the little girlies room at the Seven Eleven. Sweet dreams Pesty!" The walk to his car a challenge she got in and started it up. Not even the cars rumble woke her man. Backing out she weaved all the way through the massive boatyard and out on to the main road leading to the small town of Botfelder... or as she called it Bottom Feeder. Her kind of town!

Ten minutes alone Esteban Amador's snore woke him up. A murmur on his lips said, "You know I love you, Irene." Drunk or not it did sound sincere. Too bad he never really proved it to her. Maybe when he woke up sober!

********

"What's our prognosis?" Dolan Roster asked nurse Nadine while Caprice Comstock paced the aisle, not being family, her co-worker Naomi telling her to sit down.

"Still waiting on the Doctor to share." Nadine sighed.

"Mind if I go in and talk to Irene's kin?"

"Of course!" The nurse buzzed him in. The second she did Caprice bolted for the door before Dolan could restrain her. Racing in wildly in search of Midnight and the others she found Sheldon Cooper and William Gullivant at a coffee machine, a point toward glass by Sheldon let her discover the others. Of course, Mordecai Sage was irate over another white woman barging right on in as if she owned the promised land. Before he could say a word, his sister Tilly clamped a hand over his mouth.

A pat on the glass drew the attention of Nick Sanchez and Midnight Amador. Midnight now wearing a button up white smock, one shoulder pleasantly exposed due to a few buttons going missing smiled at the visitor. Nick knowing the room was getting a little too claustrophobic opted to step out, Midnight trailing behind him like a lost puppy. Sheldon chose to step inside, dragging Will with him to contain his girlfriend Veronica so that the halls were not overly congested. This intrusion only agitated Mordecai further. It took his mother Dorothy Sage to contain his stubborn antics.

"Sheriff?" Nick pulled Dolan aside letting Caprice talk with Midnight to keep her from eavesdropping. "Find her father yet?"

"Still searching."

"Nice perfume." Nick smirked at Dolan.

"Don't you start too. Darcy just gave me hell."

"I did buy that perfume for Caprice."

"You did? So... what am I missing here? You got Caprice on a leash too and just sending her to fulfill my fantasies?"

"She's yours if you want her. I don't own the woman, I just... advise her."

"So, you're her pimp."

"I just bought a two-million-dollar property, you think her tip money is doing me any good?"

"Ha ha! Just trying to understand the connections here. Been thinking about my kid and us stringing her up like we did. Was I a bad parent?"

"Probably! Question is... do you want to keep letting your daughter rule you? She needs discipline and you know so. Put your foot down harder still or she's going to keep acting out."

"How much harder? She's an adult Sanchez."

"Is she? Could have fooled me."

Scowling between one another Dolan knew he was right. In order to escape the situation Dolan had to ask. "Know anything about that old chest in front of Coastal Waiter's Diner?" His thoughts on discovering it were nagging at him.

"The one I bought from your Dad's Antique store? Alexis didn't tell you I took it off his hands?"

"She did not! Strange that my dad didn't mention it either."

"I left a hundred-dollar bill above the front door with a note on it. I wasn't sure I could trust your kid. She did raise a ruckus when I left making people think I was stealing it." Nick went so far as to show Dolan the picture he took of the money under a horseshoe above the store's doorway.

"We both know she pocketed that money." Dolan shook his head, "Another thing I I've got to punish her for."

"She said the trunk had been sitting there forever. Nobody wanted it. I had a reason for it, so I bought it. I can drop by your dad's and give him another hundred."

"Don't worry about it. So...it was a gift to Olan?"

"Not the owner. I placed it there to give Midnight a focal point."

"What's that mean? That she's treasured?"

"Something like that." Nick winked. "My business Sheriff."

"Well...it went to a good home I reckon."

"Yes, she did."

"You're a hard nut to crack Sanchez. If I recall, there was something in that trunk rattling about. What did you find in there?"

"If you were curious, why didn't you break the old lock off?"

"Ruin its charm and sell ability? Dad wouldn't let me. Said let it be someone else's treasure to find. Made sense so I left it be."

"A human skull." Nick wanted to witness Dolan's reaction. If the Sheriff knew his expression would have warned Nick. Not that Caprice hadn't already given Dolan a clue.

"No shit! That would have gone over well if anyone else had bought that chest."

"So, you weren't aware already?"

"You think I'd let my dad sell it if it had part of a dead body inside it? What did you do with it?"

"I still have it. Not the first skull I've seen in my lifetime Sheriff."

"Hard telling how old that chest is. When this Amador mess is over with, we should look into that chest further. Find out who your new roommate is."

"Do we really want to know?" Nick did but again he studied Dolan's reaction.

"Well, I'm sure any next of kin if they're still kicking might. It look male or female?"

"Definitely male! I call him Ollie." That sparked a grin out of Dolan, after Caprice mentioning it. "But... you already knew that." Nick was a human lie detector. So far Dolan masked his reactions well, but the word Ollie proved to him that Caprice had mentioned it already.

"Confession? Caprice rambled on about you putting that skull atop a fuck machine and letting him have his way with her. Between you and me? I think she's got a crush on him. Must be addicted to Oliver's? Curiosity Sanchez...why'd you name it Ollie?"

"Because there's always a Twist." Nick had a fondness for reading the classics.

"Oliver Twist! You're a morbid fella Sanchez."

"Takes one to know one Sheriff."

"That it does." As they chuckle without looking obvious Dolan's portable mic spoke up from his shoulder.

"You out there Sheriff?"

Dolan reached up and pressed his response trigger, "Right here Koones. Hang tight for privacy." Nodding at Nick to follow him out to the lobby before answering again, securing Midnight or the rest of her family demanding answers. Midnight and Caprice, both followed them regardless. Once Midnight saw Naomi her chance at snooping faded. Taking it further by going outside Dolan waited for Nick before acknowledging his freedom. "Go ahead!"

"Located Esteban's car at a gas station in Botfelder. Local boys are waiting on my arrival before moving in to question him."

"Sit tight on him Koones! I'm only fifteen minutes from there. leaving in three."

"Copy that!"

"You riding along... Deputy Sanchez?" Dolan shot a glance at Nick.

"Give me a minute. Your boy can detain him." Nick quickly turned and headed back into the lobby. Pulling Midnight aside he motioned the waitresses to give him room. Once Naomi drug Caprice to the chairs Nick gripped Midnight by her throat, encircling her entire neck between both hands. She melted under his stern gaze. "I'm going with the Sheriff. They found your father. You need to stay here with your family until he's questioned. If he did this on purpose, you and your mother might still be in danger. Here at least there's security." Nodding as much as his knuckled collar allowed, she shared pride in his grip. "Oh! And keep that smock on. It can come off permanently when your mom is in better shape."

"If I must." She really did want to lose that itchy smock.

"You must!" He winced. "What does my hands around your neck imply?"

"I Am Yours!"

"Close enough!" He released her even though she tried to follow his missing grasp like a magnet. In a heartbeat Nick was gone. Midnight watches him get into Dolan's squad car and tear out of there blue lights flashing. Siren wailing by the end of the block.

Observing her reaction to Nick's abandonment Naomi and Caprice moved up behind her and hugged the girl from both sides. Midnight simply peered into the night and fought blinking. Could her father have truly done this to her mother?

********

Emerging from the ICU doors Mordecai Sage ventured out on his own, needing a smoke badly. Discovering Midnight and her friends blocking the doorway he cleared his throat. "Stealing doors from our people now?" His growl made Caprice and Naomi ease aside leaving only Midnight blocking his exit. Turning to her uncle Midnight shared innocent eyes but found it in her to defend herself.

"Uncle Mordie... please stop being an asshole, For YOUR people!" She then stepped around him and walked past Nurse Nadine who winked at her bold statement. She spoke the truth. With a motion from Nadine, she allowed Naomi and Caprice to follow her. Caprice however hung back after hearing a motorcycle's rumble just outside. Sure enough, right on the street in front of the doors sat Oliver Heavy Feather. An "Aw Shit!" moment led her to watch him as Mordecai left the building and lit a cigarette up along the curb. Afraid of Oliver, Caprice turned and quickly rejoined the family.

"Why are you here Heavy Feather?" Mordecai sneered with scrutiny. He was not a fan of the biker due to his worldly mixed views of dating outside the tribe. He also knew he was trouble all the way around. Trouble he knew well watching him grow up and try and turn Mordecai's oldest daughter Anita from him. That did not end well for Oliver.

"None of your business Pastor." The 26-year-old Santee threw his leg over his parked Harley and began to walk toward the ER entrance. Mordecai turned watching him. He knew of he and Caprice and presumed drama so took the bull by the horns. Flicking his cigarette with force at Oliver it struck and burned his elbow on impact. Merely an annoyance it did pause Oliver. "Are you looking to piss me off right now?"

"I am quite good at that I hear. You will respect those that came before you. My sister is in danger and while I do not approve of the white man, they are saving her life." God was giving him a moment to understand what priority was.

12