Moral Climate Ch. 03

Story Info
Had a couple live in girlfriends. I wanted something more.
3.7k words
4.62
34.3k
7

Part 3 of the 6 part series

Updated 10/21/2022
Created 08/13/2012
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DG Hear
DG Hear
5,683 Followers

Moral Climate
By DG Hear

There will be six chapters in all. You may want to read the previous chapter before reading this one. The story has been edited by Estragon.

Chapter 3

After twelve years on the road an opening came up for a vice president in the Ohio office. My uncle was retiring and his son, my cousin Ross, was moving up from vice president to president. The Board met and I was a shoo-in for the job if I wanted it. I said “Yes”; I was tired of being on the road so much and was tired of living out of a suitcase.

My main job would be to oversee sales and purchases. I would also sit in on some of the corporate meetings. My travel would be a lot less than it ever was. There would be times when I might make a few surprise visits to the suppliers. I wanted to make sure that my departments were working like a well-oiled machine.

I still drove up and saw my parents pretty regular. My sister, Hope asked me how come I never got married. I explained to her about always being on the road and it would not be good on a marriage. She agreed with me but told me I wouldn’t be on the road as much now.

She always made me laugh the way she worried about me. I did tell her I had to meet the right woman first and being single for so long, she might not be out there. It made me laugh but I really wasn’t looking to get married. I thought back over the last twelve years and how many married women I had slept with. Had the moral climate changed that much? I guess I was just as guilty as the next guy but I knew I didn’t want a wife that strayed on me.

I knew myself well enough to know if I met the right woman that I would have no problem being monogamous and I would expect the same from her.

Life was good to me and I was able to get most anything I wanted. In the winter I could fly down to Florida and play a round of golf. I had good friends, but they were constantly trying to fix me up. I still played racquetball at least twice a week to keep in shape.

I really did want to have a nice relationship. I was more than a little tired of playing the field. I dated a number of women and over the next ten years I had two of them move in with me. Even though not married, I was monogamous during my relationship with each of them. Marie was the first one and stayed for five years. She worked for a law office and we seemed to hit it off fine.

The sex was good, well, better than good. She wasn’t much of a cook so we ate out all the time. I took her to meet my parents and my sisters. My parents liked her but my sister Hope told me in private that she didn’t trust her.

“What don’t you like about her?” I asked.

“I think she wants you for your money and what you can buy her. I just feel she’s a user. I don’t see the love in her face when she talks or looks at you.”

It turns out that Hope was right. It took me a few years to realize it. Marie didn’t want kids, she said it would hurt her body image. I really didn’t care if I had kids or not but most women always seemed to want to be a mother. I thought it somewhat strange.

The reason we never got married was because I didn’t feel that deep-seated love I thought I should have. We both said, “I love you”, while having sex. During the actual fucking we probably meant it. It was after having sex that that we didn’t care to hug and cuddle. When Marie asked about getting married I told there would definitely be a pre-nuptial agreement and she became agitated, saying I didn’t trust her.

Marie was great for arm candy at events and parties. I guess I just didn’t love her and one day she said she was going to leave if we didn‘t get married and without a pre-nupt. I said goodbye to her and for some reason I never really missed her.

A year or so after Marie left Linda came into my life. She was fifteen years younger than me, which bothered me some. I met her at a friend’s wedding. Looking back I guess her looks reminded me of Tina. I should have noticed that right off the bat. Other than her looks she didn’t seem to have a whole lot in common with Tina as I remembered her.

Linda could cook and it was nice having a home cooked meal once in awhile. She said her mom taught her how to cook. The sex was great; I guess with her being so much younger it brought back a few college memories. I asked her to move in on kind of a whim. Maybe I thought I was getting old or something. Deep down I knew it was a mistake but I was going to try and make it work.

The problem was we didn’t even like the same music or TV shows. I know that sounds petty but it does make a difference when spending time together. She had a great personality but she seemed to flirt more than I was comfortable with. She told me she never meant anything by it, that it was only me she loved.

My sister Hope asked me what was wrong with me, that I needed Linda. I told her she had all the answers, she could tell me. All she said to me was, “Don’t get married to her, enjoy your fun and games till you come to your senses.”

Linda came home one evening and asked me if I would mind if she went on a cruise with her best friend Samantha and her live-in boyfriend Steve. He was a car salesman and Sam worked in the dealership as a secretary. They were nice enough but young like Linda. Sam was Linda’s best friend.

I even bought a car for Linda off Steve. I tried to help her friends out but I wasn’t fine with her going on a cruise with them. I told her I would think about it. I decided to take a few days off and take the same cruise with Linda. She seemed happy about it and told Sam.

I had my secretary Ruth call and make the reservations for Sam and I. It cost a bit extra because of the late reservations but I was trying to be the nice guy and do something for Linda. She was ecstatic that we were going. It would be for five days and four nights to the Bahamas. We would be going separately from Sam and Steve but we were going to meet up on the ship.

We had fun while at sea. We danced, gambled a lot and even saw a movie. We spent the late evenings in the lounge drinking and dancing. Food on the cruise couldn’t be beat; the only problem was we always overate. I spent my early mornings in the gym exercising off the extra calories.

On the third day we docked and went to the island. We headed to the swim area. Steve suggested we go to the nude beach but in a nice way I told him I wasn’t interested in the world staring at Linda. So we headed over to the regular beach. Linda didn’t reply.

With the bathing suits Linda and Sam were wearing they were showing just about everything anyway. Maybe I was just getting too old. I just wasn’t one to share anymore. I never shared anyone I really cared for and wasn’t about to start now.

The following day while working out in the morning a couple of men asked me if I golfed. I told them I did and even brought along my clubs, just in case there was a course. They asked me to join them in a round on the island.

I mentioned it to Linda and she said she didn’t mind. She planned on going back to the beach and take in some more rays. I told her I would be back before the dinner buffet and then we could go to the lounge.

I had a nice time playing golf. After dinner we went to the lounge with Sam and Steve. Something didn’t seem quite right but I couldn’t put my finger on it. I asked them if they enjoyed the beach and they said they did. In the lounge a number of men asked Linda to dance. She didn’t hesitate getting up.

It bothered me that so many men were asking her to dance. We have been on this dance floor for four nights and only a few had gotten the courage to ask her to dance. When she got up to dance with Steve I asked Sam about their going to the beach.

She was very hesitant about it but I guess I scared her. I told her I knew something happened and she finally told me that they went to the nude beach. “Umm Jeff, we didn’t do anything wrong; we just laid in the sun.”

“Sam, my girlfriend goes on a nude beach even though I told her not to and showed her ass as well as the rest of her body to every Tom, Dick and Harry as well as Steve. Yes, Sam that is wrong. God knows what else all of you did.” Sam didn’t say a word but looked very sheepishly at me.

“When she comes back to the table, tell her I wasn’t feeling good and went back to our cabin.” I got up and left.

Linda didn’t come back to our cabin for over three hours. When she did come back she told me she was sorry. I told her that her being sorry wasn’t good enough and that I was too mad and too tired to argue with her. We would discuss it when we got home. We would be leaving the ship the next morning.

I knew that the reason everyone wanted to dance with her was that they all saw her naked ass, especially Steve. I had no idea if she had sex with anyone or not. She said she didn’t but wasn’t very convincing. She told me we should be out trying and doing new things. She wanted to live it up.

I was past that stage of my life and knew that it just wouldn’t work out. I tried, I really did. After the cruise Linda left and I was back on my own but I was a lot more comfortable. I decided to hell with it. I wasn’t going to look for a woman any more. If it happens, it happens.

My sister Hope always acted like she was some kind of psychic. I have to admit that what she told me about Marie and Linda was true. She did tell me I would find the right woman someday and I would know it. She was a cool sister and she always made me laugh. I loved her to death.

Unlike Grace, my other sister, who tried to play matchmaker with all her divorced friends, Hope wasn’t into the matchmaking business. She actually told me to stay away from Grace’s friends. There was a reason that most of them were divorced. I smiled and went on with my life.

****

Every five years I got an invitation to my high school class reunion. I would have thought that they had figured out by now that I wouldn’t be there since I didn’t reply to the fifth, tenth, fifteenth or the twentieth. Sure enough it came in the mail. “Please come to our twenty-fifth class reunion. It will be held July 21, at the Ramada Inn.”

It went on to explain the particulars. Of course it would be held in Michigan. It was funny but it made me think of Tina and Jenny. I had to wonder if either of them would be there.

I had spent twelve years on the road and now had eight years under my belt as vice president at the Ohio office. Other than the time with my two live-in girlfriends life was pretty good.

I got a call from my dad to come up for a special meeting. It was very important that I be there. I had to wonder what the importance was. I hadn’t heard of any problems, in fact the company had made more money than ever. Usually I didn’t attend the annual meetings. Ross, my cousin, would go and come back and tell me what went on.

I asked him what was going on and he said he didn’t know. It was pretty hush-hush. I went up and stayed with my parents for a couple of days and they wouldn’t tell me anything but they didn’t look scared or mad, which was a good sign. They just said the Board of Directors called this meeting.

I drove to the meeting, which was attended by all the branch presidents and vice-presidents. There were also the sales force, and most of management from all the plants. I sat down with my parents. My mom went along which surprised me; and the meeting began.

I noticed that the press was there also; must be an important announcement. The Board members took their seats on the stage and the meeting started. My grandfather, who was long retired but was still on the Board, stood up and had us all stand and led us in saying the Pledge of Allegiance. My great grandfather down through my dad and uncles have all fought for our country.

You could hear how proud everyone said the Pledge. Afterwards we all sat down and the meeting began. After some general talk about the business and how well we were doing they called my dad on stage. I was so proud of my father, he was the man I wish I could have emulated.

He spoke more on the business and what it meant to him. He talked about his marriage of over fifty years and how my mom was always at his side. He mentioned my sisters and their husbands. Grace’s husband ran the Indiana plant.

He then mention me, his only son and how proud he was of me and about all the hard work I did for the company, talking about my early internship, to working for twelve years in the field and was now vice president at the Ohio branch for the last eight years.

It made my eyes tear up knowing my father was proud of me. I think every son would like to hear that from their dad. Then dad stopped talking and looked out over the crowd of people.

“The reason for this special meeting is to announce my retirement September 1.” Everyone was surprised, including me. He went on to explain that he and Mom wanted to do a little traveling and leave the worries of the business behind. He then asked me to come up to the stage.

I did so but felt quite humble. “The Board of Directors and I have unanimously agreed to offer the position to my son Jeff Adams.” He went on to explain more of my background and how whatever job I did in the company it always improved our relationship with our clients as well as improving our bottom line.

Needless to say I said “Yes” and gave a short speech. Everyone stood and applauded me and the newspaper people took pictures of me shaking my dad’s hand and hugging him.

After the meeting everyone was invited to the Holiday Inn for a congratulatory party in my honor. I found out that many knew about the promotion but were able to keep it from me. Most everyone brought their wife or girlfriend. It might have seemed odd but I was one of the few men without a date, but I was surrounded by family and friends.

I guess it was a happy retirement party for Dad and a welcome to your new position for me. It was mid July so I would be busy going back and forth from Ohio to Michigan. I was well versed on all our businesses but I had to get the personal things in order. Selling my condo, finding a place to live and of course being with my dad learning the procedures he had set in place.

I had to admit that I was happy to be going home. I would see my parents and sister more often and of course I had reached my goal as the president of the company. The only negative aspect was that I had all this happiness and no one special to share it with.

****

It was a week before the reunion, which I had no plan to attend when Ruth came in my office and handed me a personal letter. Ruth always opened the company mail and sorted it down to save me time but this one did say, “To Jeff Adams, personal and your eyes only”.

There was a return address on it and it said Tina Owens. I was shocked. It’s been twenty-five years and I received a personal letter. I closed my door and sat down to read it.

“Dear Jeff:

“I hope this letter finds you healthy, wealthy and wise. I have been wondering for months whether to write to you. I had a talk with Jenny (Ames) Roadruck, I’m sure you remember her. We became good friends a number of years ago.

“I told her my dilemma and she said I should write and tell you. You deserved to know the truth. So, here it goes. My mother died a little less than a year ago. I was going through all her things and came across a cigar box full of cards and letters from you to me.

“I was shocked that my mother had hid them from me. I guess she really had it in for you. As for me, I always loved you and cried many times when you never wrote me or tried to contact me. I had no idea that the letters and cards existed.

“I sat down and read every letter and card often stopping to dry the tears from my eyes. After reading all of them I talked with Jenny and she said you deserved to know the truth, so that’s why I’m writing this letter.

“Please forgive me, I really did love you and you have always had a place in my heart. I noticed that in the last card you sent that you wished me a happy marriage. I figured you read in the paper that I married Bill Owens. We had two wonderful daughters together that I love with all my heart.

“Well, I got this off my chest and I wish you the best. I just read where you will become President of the Michigan branch of your business. I do wish you a wonderful life.”

“With all my love”
“Tina”

To say I was stunned would be an understatement. It took me awhile to take it all in. It almost felt like I had closure but it made me start thinking about her again.

The weekend before the reunion Ruth stepped in to my office and said there was a personal call for me and did I want to take it? I asked her who it was and she said a Jenny Ames Roadruck. I couldn’t believe I get a letter from Tina and now a call Jenny.

“Jenny, is it really you?”

“Yes, it’s me, it’s so good to hear your voice. I read your Christmas cards every year but wondered why you’ve never stopped by to see us.”

“I don’t know. I guess it was a wonderful part of my life, but it’s long gone now. I do think about you now and then. Are you and Mark still married?”

“Yes, we are. We still argue but Mark has always been a remarkable guy and the love of my life. We have three grown kids now. Our oldest just graduated from college and our youngest is just starting. Julie, my middle child, just got married last year. I’m a grandmother,” she laughed.

“I got a letter from Tina last week and she said the two of you are good friends. That was nice to hear, my two favorite girls are best friends. I want to thank you for convincing her to write to me. It really meant a lot to me. I hope her husband didn’t mind.”

“Her husband Ben died three years ago of cancer. Now her mom died this year. She’s doing good, considering all she’s been through. You were right, she’s quite a woman. I can see why you cared for her so much. At least her husband took good care of the family and she isn’t hurting to much financially.”

“Jenny, it’s great to talk to you but I need to ask, what made you call me at this time?”

“The reunion. I know you’ve never attended any of them but I’m on the committee this year and wanted to extend a personal invitation to you. Besides, Tina asked me if you were going to be there. I told her I never received a RSVP.”

I wasn’t sure what to do. On one hand it was a busy time for me, but on the other I would be in Michigan that weekend and would have a chance to see Jenny and possibly Tina again. I told Jenny that I would give it some thought but no promises. We said our goodbyes and now I couldn’t get the reunion out of my mind.

Finally, even though reluctant, I said to hell with it, I was going.

End of chapter three
Comments are welcome and appreciated.
DG Hear

DG Hear
DG Hear
5,683 Followers