More than an Affair

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

In no time, I had the routine down pat. I started work at ten PM and finished at six. It was a twenty-minute jog, or thirty-minute walk, to Planet Fitness. I had originally joined primarily just for the shower facilities but gradually started using the other gym equipment. By the end of the first month, I was getting almost two hours of gym exercise every day. I felt better and I was also losing a little weight. I never considered myself to be heavy, but I was a bit flabby.

It felt good to get back into a routine. I was comfortable with my new job and enjoyed it. It was repetitious, but it was also different. Hard to explain, but I am sure you can figure out what I mean. I did my job and they left me alone.

The gym was also a good selection. In no time at all, I had decided what exercises I liked to do and which ones to avoid. I discovered that I got no pleasure or enjoyment working with heavy weights. Since I was running to my workout every day, the treadmills held no interest for me. I started each day with the Planet Fitness circuit workout. That took about thirty minutes. I then spent twenty minutes on the C2-rowing machine, twenty minutes on the stair stepper, and finished up with twenty minutes on an upright bike.

I never got a TV, but I did get a used desktop computer with a nice size monitor. My daily entertainment consisted mostly of You Tube videos. I didn't cook much but did find that my eating habits sort of evolved a bit. Although it was not my intention, I found myself drifting toward a KETO-type diet. Combining that with my odd working hours, I realized that I was also doing a bit of fasting.

After three months, I was feeling better and losing weight. It was time to call my daughters again. This time I called Linda.

"Hi! Linda, It's your Dad."

"Well, it is about time. We were all concerned about you. Are you okay?"

"Yes. I am great. Don't worry about me. I have always been able to take care of myself. I am calling just to make sure that your Mother is doing okay."

"Mom is doing great. It seems like she got a raise at work and loves her job. She is, however, extremely pissed at you. She said that you deserted her at her promotion celebration and then left home like a hurt little boy. Those are the words that she used. She said you were jealous of her success."

"Well, I am sorry, but I can't add anything to that. Until she is ready to tell you the truth, that is all I have"

"She said that things are a bit tight without your income, but with her raise she can handle it."

"Well, I am happy for her. Did she tell you anything about her new job?"

"Just that she is making more money and gets to travel a lot."

I did not respond. After a slight pause, Linda started up again. "Will you be coming home for Christmas?"

"I don't think so. I'll try and send something for you and Lara."

"We don't need or want anything, Dad. We would rather have you here."

"Sorry bout that! I have to go now. Tell Lara I said 'hello'. Bye."

I felt a little down in the dumps. I got the feeling that my daughters did not understand the situation and felt that I was the reason for all of the problems. I wasn't happy about that but did not feel that I was obligated to explain myself. It was apparent that there was no remorse on my wife's side. I found myself getting a little bitter. From what my daughter said, Donna was doing quite well without me. I still didn't understand why she wanted me at home. I finished off my case of Black and Tan and spent the weekend despondent. My beer consumption had been increasing.

As the weeks went by, I found things improving nicely. I was doing well at work and got a raise that I was not expecting. They gave me free reign as far as my duties were concerned and in a very short time, I had streamlined and improved the stock replenishment system. I provided a weekly report that they used to set inventory levels and establish reordering intervals. The store's overall computer system was already doing this, but they seemed to appreciate the manual input.

My living arrangements were ideal for my situation and well within my budget. My weight was down and I was building some muscle. In the right lighting, I could see a six-pack. I stopped shaving and now had a full head of hair just long enough to make a small ponytail. My whole image seemed to have changed and I seemed a bit fearsome.

My gym workouts were getting easier and a bit longer. An unexpected side effect was that I was also making a few friends at the gym. They were not really friends, but more like acquaintances. I was very careful around the female gym rats because I did not want any impropriety problems. With the guys, it didn't matter. In fact, we were poking fun at each other regularly. There was however one very unusual union that cropped up.

Her name was Harry, or at least that was what everybody called her. She was not very friendly and seldom talked to anyone. I turned out to be the exception. She was there every morning and worked steadily for at least two hours. It was an intense workout, not a frilly yoga-type routine. I guessed that she was about mid-forties or so. Hard looking and always wore sweat pants and a sweatshirt. All the other females were showing off their bodies with tight latex and skimpy outfits; not Harry.

I took a good bit of razzing because I was the only male in the whole cage that she talked to or even looked at. I didn't encourage her, but I also didn't turn her away in any fashion. To be honest, I was a bit flattered.

Several months passed and I had not contacted either my daughters or my wife. I just could not force myself to do it. I made several trips to Huntsville to add to my Krugerrand collection. Then things started to change.

"William! Could I speak with you a moment?"

This was not a usual conversation starter with Harry. She called me 'William' when all the guys used 'Bill'. Come to think of it, she had never really referred to me by my name before.

"Sure. No problem. Is there something that I can help you with?"

"As a matter of fact, there is." We both took a bench and got comfortable.

"I have a company affair that I have to attend Friday evening and I need an escort. I will take care of all the expenses and I only need you to go with me. I notice that you don't drive so I will also provide transportation. If it is necessary, I can reimburse you."

I hesitated and she quickly picked up on it.

"I'm sorry. Did I do or say something wrong?"

"No! Not at all! It is just that I have a few skeletons in the closet so to speak. If you can work around them I will be happy to help you out."

"Okay! What are the problems?"

"First of all, I am married."

"Oh! Crap, you never mentioned a wife. I guess that queers the whole deal."

"No, not at all. I just wanted to let you know upfront. I have not seen or talked to my wife in over nine months. I don't even know if I am still married."

"Have you filed for divorce or separation?"

"No."

"Next?"

"I do not have anything appropriate to wear. No suit, jacket, dress shirts, or regular shoes. I have no use for any of that stuff, so I don't have it."

"No problem. I can take care of that. This is why I am asking a week ahead."

"I do work nights, but I think I can get the evening off with no problem."

"I am glad you solved that one." She smiled when she said that. " What else?"

"Do you want me to shave or anything?"

"William, I like your beard and I like your hair, but to be honest you are a bit scruffy. Would you mind if my stylist looked you over Friday afternoon?"

"Stylist?" She smiled and I groaned and nodded that it was okay.

So started my relationship with Harry, professionally known as Harriet Parker, attorney at law.

Tuesday, I ended up at Jos. A. Banks. Not really a high-class place, but a step above anything I had ever been at. Harry had arranged for my visit ahead of time. I ended up with two pairs of pants and two sport coats. They topped it off with a couple of shirts and a few ties. I exerted myself a bit by adding two turtle neck shirts to the pile. I always liked them and thought that they would look good with sport coats. Harry had prepaid everything.

On the way home, I picked up a new pair of decent shoes and some underwear. I needed the new underwear because of my recent weight loss. The shoes were moccasin style, but still classy.

My visit to the stylist went well on Friday. The guy that was taking care of me was easy to get along with and did a good job. He left me with a close, neatly trimmed beard and changed my ponytail into a sort of short modified mullet. I don't know the actual term, but it was long in the back. He assured me that it would be a lot easier to maintain. I liked it. He didn't talk much about Harry but did say that I was a lucky fellow.

Harry showed up at the apartment at six on the dot. She did not get out of the car but did a short beep. The Lexus looked out of place in my neighborhood. I went with the gray jacket and gray turtleneck. I thought that I looked pretty good, but I have no point of reference. I was thankful that she was driving because I did not know my way about the city.

"Harry, before we go in can you explain what exactly I am expected to do or not do tonight?"

"The first hour or so will probably be socializing. You don't have to get involved with any of that. Most of the people here will be big feeling snobs that you don't want to have anything to do with. Avoid them if you can. Mainly, I want you to stay close to me and keep the letches away. Try not to be obvious, but don't let any of them elbow you out. See that I have a drink in my hand at all times ginger ale or mineral water. Be friendly and agreeable and whatever you do, don't lose your cool. Basically, you are Arm Candy. Make them think that we are a couple."

"I never thought of myself as that kind of a guy. I don't have a lot of experience doing things like that."

"Are you going to be able to handle it?"

"You bet! Oh. Is there any food?"

"After about an hour we will each get a $500 plate of rubber chicken, and listen to some speeches. When that is over, there will more glad-handing. Oh. By the way, you look good."

It was at that point that I realized that I had not complimented her on her dress or her hair. I really was out of my element.

The first part of the evening went exactly as she had explained. I found my role to be a bit easier than I had anticipated. The room was full of unattached males, all of them with expensive suits and big watches. Harry did look good and most of them knew that she was not married. Quite a few of them took the time to stop by and chat her up a bit. They were testing the waters so to speak. I found myself giving them all a squinty eye stare, like Charles Bronson. Amazingly, it worked. Every time, I left her side to refresh her drink another vulture swooped in. A few of them brought her drinks, which she quietly handed off to me to dispose of. Harry glanced at me a couple of times and sort of smiled; sort of.

At last, we got to sit down. Three hundred chicken dinners appeared from nowhere. It was a pathetic plate of food. I am not what you would call a fussy eater, but this was different. I kept thinking about the five hundred dollars. Harry sort of leaned over to me.

"William! Do you want to blow this place?" She tried to use a Bogart accent, but it didn't work.

I didn't answer her. I just stood up, took her hand and we quietly left. I don't think anyone even noticed.

When we hit the parking garage, she kicked off her shoes and threw me the Lexus keys. "Find us some real food, William."

Twenty minutes later we were at Hillbilly Willy's. We each had a full rack and a long neck. She was no stranger to the Tabasco. Both of us ignored the side of fries. The bibs were eagerly welcomed. While we were eating, I noticed one unusual thing; her evening gown had long sleeves. Most of the women's gowns all had short sleeves or none at all. She was also still barefoot and it didn't seem to bother her at all.

Things quickly got back to normal. My evening with Harry was enjoyable, even though it didn't end up with any intimacy. We continued with our normal gym relationship. Three weeks later Harry had another function that required an escort. I accepted of course. I felt obligated to explain the situation to my boss and he found it to be quite amusing. Under the circumstances, he told me that it would not be necessary to ask permission for time off, just leave him a note. He more or less told me that I was responsible for my own time and to handle it accordingly.

Harry's daily gym workout was pretty heavy. She kept her heart rate up and she sweated quite a bit. She was always fully clothed. Most of the female gym rats wore sports bras and shorts. Harry wore sweatshirts and long pants. It didn't seem to make sense, but I was not going to bring it up.

Our second night out was similar to the first except that there was no food and there was more drinking. More drinking meant more lizards sniffing around. Every other guy who approached her brought a fresh drink. I was busy most of the evening collecting and disposing of the unwanted glasses. One of the more obnoxious guys finally got my goat. I took him aside and quietly told him that if he hit on my fiancée one more time, I was going to clean his clock. He disappeared for the rest of the evening. So did a lot of the other sleazes. I didn't realize that I had become so menacing.

We went for Sushi after the gathering but ended up eating forty dollars worth of Sashimi.

It was another fun, platonic evening.

Two days later Harry surprised me, while I was doing my rowing. "Why didn't you tell me we were engaged? I was a bit embarrassed yesterday when some of my workmates asked me about it." She didn't wait for an answer, but she did smile.

I called Lara. She said that Donna had been avoiding her and Linda. All Lara knew was that Donna was traveling a lot and that people were staying over at the house on a regular occasion. I asked her if her mother had filed for divorce and she had no idea. It had been several weeks since she or Linda had had any contact.

For some reason, I was pissed off. The more bottles I emptied the worse it got. The next morning, I got one of the flat rate boxes at the Post Office and mailed 74 valve stems to Glenn Simpson at Gilbert Industries. I included a short note. 'Thanks for a fun evening'. It had been well over a year since the party, but I was pretty sure that he would remember it. I missed the gym that day. I didn't want to work out with a hangover.

I did get the third degree from Harry the next day. I promised to explain everything to her the next time we had supper together. She picked me up at six that night.

Harry took me to Ruth's Cris Steak House. It was my first time in a place like that. I did dress up nice for her. She listened quietly and passed no judgment the entire night. I was back at my apartment in time for my work shift.

Harry had one more question for me the next day at the gym. 'Did I know any of the people who were at the lodge that night?' When I told her that I had the names and addresses of everyone that was there, her eyes lit up. After our workout, she stopped by the apartment and I gave her an envelope with 12 car registrations. She grabbed them and kissed me on the cheek.

There are 15 kinds of lawyers. Harry was a personal injury lawyer. She tried to explain it to me, but I just smiled, and ask her what this was going to cost me. All I got for an answer was another kiss on the cheek.

Three days later I got a call from my daughter Linda. Donna had called her to see if she knew where I was. Some sort of a problem had cropped up at Donna's workplace and she was in the middle of it. She was not happy and needed to talk to me immediately. Linda refused to tell her anything. I wonder if Glenn got those valve stems.

I called Harry and told her that I would be picking her up in twenty minutes. Her office was in an upscale strip mall. It was nice, but not too flashy. Harry had never seen the Challenger. The subject of my car ownership never came up before. The sound of the engine preceded my arrival and resulted in several curious onlookers from her office as she walked out to the car. I came around to open the door for her and smiled at all of the gawkers. Harry was laughing when she got in the car. "Well played William! Well played!"

"I guess you will want an engagement ring now?"

"In good time. Don't rush it."

I kept the Challenger under control until we crossed the Tennessee River. Then I started to let her open up a bit. Route 72 going into Huntsville is a nice stretch of road, but not the best place to show off. We were seated at Dreamland within two hours.

"William, all of the people that were at the lodge that night were served today."

"What do you mean served?"

"It is a lawsuit. The actual term is 'malicious conduct contributing to the deterioration of a marriage."

"There is really such a thing?"

"It appears that all of the required categories had been met. Their conduct was intentional, it was extreme, and it caused you severe emotional distress."

"That must be why my wife was upset."

By that time, we each had a slab of Dreamland ribs in front of us. The conversation slowed down a bit.

Harry had just finished sucking her last rib when she looked up. "What do you mean, your wife was upset?"

"My daughter Linda called me today and said that Donna needed to talk to me. There was a big problem at work and she was involved in it in some fashion. I don't know any more than that."

"Glenn Simpson and Gilbert Industries are being sued for one million dollars. The other eleven people are being sued for one hundred thousand each."

"I am not trying to be a smart ass or anything, but do you think that that will work?"

"Of course! Maybe not as cut and dry as it looks, but I think a few interesting things might happen."

I wanted another long neck, but could not risk it because of the long drive home. Harry could risk it and enjoyed gloating as she drank the lager.

I was feeling a bit frisky as we exited the restaurant, so I casually asked Harry if she would like to get a room and go back in the morning.

"I'd like to, but I can't."

"We can leave early if you'd like."

"That's not it. Let's just go now. I'll explain it to you on the way home."

Everything was quiet in the car for the first twenty minutes, and then she started to open up. It seems that eight years ago Harry weighed almost three hundred pounds. She decided to diet and exercise rather than get bypass surgery. She lost 140 pounds. Unfortunately, she was plagued with twenty pounds of loose flabby skin. It took five surgeries to remove the excess flesh, and she is now left with scars across her whole body. Harry is a brave outspoken woman, but she admitted that she was very self-conscious about the scars. She avoided dating and any contact with male friends. For some reason, she felt comfortable with me but didn't know why.

I dropped her off at her house, walked her to the door, and gave her a small kiss on the cheek. She thanked me for the meal and had a small tear in her eye as I left.

We continued our platonic dating. We both seemed content with it.

Nickajack markets seemed to be popular with the local folks. In less than two years they had added two additional stores and were looking for more. The owners were serious when they offered me a full-time position as inventory manager for all three units. They did however insist that I become a regular hire, which meant that I had to go fully legal. At this point, it didn't seem to matter anymore, so I accepted. Harry was happy, so I was happy.

Several more weeks passed. I had not heard from my daughters for quite a while and then I got a short text message on my phone. "Mom got fired!"