Mr. Nice Guy

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Tim paused, seemingly in thought. "What I really don't understand, is how I ever thought that I loved you. I guess that I did at one time, but the last couple of years convinced me that the woman I loved had vanished, replaced by a harridan and a slut. Well, now you can fuck Hurley again, Susan, as well as anyone else you wish. You won't have to worry about your husband finding out since you won't have a husband shortly."

Susan sat, now trembling and ashen. She had never seen Tim like this. She had never seen him so angry, had never seen him so cold and biting. This was a new Tim that she now faced.

"Please Tim," she pleaded. "Please, at least listen to me. I screwed up, I made a mistake. I know that, but you can't just throw away our years together. I swear that this was the only time I was unfaithful. I didn't mean for it to happen, I swear," she implored, tears now escaping from her eyes.

Tim eyed her with disgust evident on his face. "It's not only your adultery with Hurley that convinced me to rid myself of you, although that was the deciding factor. You were disloyal, Susan and you knew how important loyalty is to me. You betrayed everything that I believed in. Without loyalty and trust, no relationship can survive..

"Also, the past couple of years have been an ordeal. You've shown no respect for me and little consideration. I have been treated as if I were an unwanted guest, almost as a stranger that you tolerated.

"You know the real problem, Susan," Tim continued coldly. "You began to confuse manliness with machismo. Your concept of what a man should be began to conflict with reality. I had told you countless times that a loud voice, a bragging tone and muscles were not the attributes that made a man a man. I also told you that violence was almost never the answer to a problem, but you considered me weak and timid. You had forgotten that a real man has no need to brag or put someone down. A real man has a sense of responsibility, a sense of obligation to his loved ones. A real man protects and provides for his family. A real man is true and loyal to his family and to his friends. A real man needs to be more than a large cock and a big mouth, but those seem to be the things that have attracted you."

Susan sat stunned, in shock. She was literally speechless. Tim had never in their years together talked to her in such a manner, with such revulsion and bitterness. "Tim," she pleaded.

"Shut up, Susan" Tim snapped again. "You really have nothing to say that I want to hear. Don't even try to lie to me again. That won't work anymore. I've already moved most of my stuff out. I'll make arrangements for the rest of my belongings. You recognize that there really isn't much of mine here. Almost everything "we" purchased during the past few years were things that you decided that we needed. I hope that those things will comfort you. I also suggest that you find an attorney. The divorce will go through quickly and smoothly if you don't decide to fight me on this. I will also provide for you so that your life style won't change too much, but I suspect that you'll need to find gainful employment. One caveat, Susan. You'll get to keep this house, but if I find that you've brought men here to screw, I'll stop all agreed upon alimony. I won't make mortgage payments on a place where you screw around. If you fight me on this, I'll just use the pictures I have of you and Hurley, so it's your decision."

Tim rose and looked down upon her with a sense of sadness and regret. "It's really a shame, Sue. We could have grown old together." and with that he turned and walked out of the house and out of her life.

************************

The next few months went by quickly for Tim. He had a business that he had to get powered up and he thanked his lucky stars that he had Pam working alongside in her new capacity as Director of Human Resources. Her tireless efforts and her expertise helped immeasurably. It wasn't long before they had a core group on board and tentative interest being shown by many potential clients.

The divorce went smoothly and, despite numerous attempts by Sue to contact him, attempts that he rebuffed, it only took a few months for it to become final.

Tim had spoken to his daughter Amanda many times since the day he moved out. She kept reminding him that her mother was distraught and frantic to do anything that could lead to a reconciliation. Tim patiently explained to her that that was out of the question, until finally Mandy gave up trying. Tim promised to keep in touch with her and did remember to call her every week.

Tim was in his office when a messenger left a large brown envelope with Kim, his new secretary. "Tim, you have a Fed Ex delivery from Doug Kline. Shall I bring it in?" she asked through the intercom.

Tim knew what it was, his attorney had phoned the day before. He felt a chill run through him and told Kim to bring it in. After she left, he sat and just looked at the envelope, not opening it, not touching it. It contained the final documents telling the world that he was now a single man, that he was no longer married. The marriage was now officially dissolved.

He sat quietly and examined what he was feeling. This delivery dredged up some dramatic emotions, emotions that he thought he had put behind him. Sadness enveloped him. He felt an emptiness within, a hole had been left that he couldn't fill. He had also come to realize that Sue's alienation was, at least in part, due to his own unwillingness to confront her concerning the changes that were taking place. He should never have allowed that change in attitude, never should have allowed the coolness that had soon characterized their relationship. Perhaps if he had been more forceful with her the whole mess could have been avoided. But, in the end, it was her decision. She was a grown woman and she knew the consequences of what she had done. Anyway, Tim reasoned, that was in the past, he now had to look to the future.

What Tim didn't realize was that as he had received the final divorce papers, so had Sue. They were delivered through the mail from her attorney two days after Tim had received his copy.

She had sat at the kitchen table and just looked at the envelope, not touching it or opening it. She knew what was contained therein. Her face sagged and tears again came to her eyes. She blinked them back and tried to compose herself. She still couldn't bring herself to accept the destruction of her marriage. She knew that she loved Tim and would always love him. She also recognized that it was her actions that had brought her to this state, but she couldn't think of anything that she could do that she hadn't tried. She had to think of something, anything.

*********************

Tim had not forgotten Walter Hurley. One day, a couple of months after the final decree, he decided to begin frequenting the bar that Hurley occasionally visited. It was within walking distance of his office. He would stop by for a drink after work and was soon a recognized visitor. A few weeks went by and one early evening Tim could hear loud and raucous voices coming from the side room of the facility. He thought he recognized Hurley bass, loud and arrogant.

"Hell, I've been banging half a dozen married broads the last few months. They're all whores, when it comes right down to it," he laughed. He had his coterie with him and they encouraged him and laughed with him.

Tim had moved over to the entrance of the room and looked in. Hurley immediately saw and recognized Tim. He leered with glee.

"Well, well, looky here. How's it going, Timmy. Suzy finally kicked your ass out, did she. Guess you couldn't measure up after me, could you," he laughed obscenely.

"What makes you think that any woman would want a piece of shit like you, Walt. A dildo would be a better bet. I understand that you can't even get your little weinie up half the time," Tim said slowly and deliberately, keeping his eyes glued to his prey.

"Why you little prick, I'll teach you to respect your betters," Walt roared and came after Tim.

What happened was almost too quick for the eye to follow, but Hurley suddenly found himself propelled back into a table which collapsed under his weight.

He pulled himself up, now with fire and hatred in his eyes. He had an empty beer bottle in his hand and murder in his heart. "You muthah fucker, I'll kill you for that," Hurley muttered. No one noticed the small smile on Tim's lips as Hurley charged.

Again, just seconds later Hurley was on the floor, and a later medical examination would find that he had a fractured spine, a broken pelvis, a ruptured spleen and significant damage to his testicles. A call to 911 produced an ambulance as well as the police. It was soon determined that Tim had acted in self defense and there would be no charges. After the hubbub died down and the police had finished their questions, Tim arose and left the bar for home. He felt good, not because he had done damage to Hurley, but because he had not lost control and had not killed him as he could have easily done.

"Perhaps there are times when a little bit of violence is the answer to a problem," he thought to himself in amusement.

**********************

Additional months slid by and BFS (Burns Financial Services) continued to prosper. Tim had made very sure that he hired only the very best people, people with outstanding expertise in the field and he rewarded them accordingly. He also insured that all of his clients were treated respectfully, with fairness and always withl their best interests in mind. He found that the keys to success in business were not all that complex. Provide excellent services, charge fairly and do everything practicable to insure the faithfulness of the client. His credo worked. He now found that he was the head of a very successful business. So why wasn't he happy, why wasn't he content? He would not (or could not?) examine the reason for that discontent. He refused to dwell upon that.

Tim was at his desk when Kim informed him that he had a call from a Mr. Lou Kaufman.

"Lou? Damn, it's been awhile, it's good to hear from you," Tim exclaimed.

"Hi Tim, yeah, it's been awhile. I've just been sitting here feeling a little blue. You know that there are only four of us left now. It makes you kind of examine your own mortality."

"Yeah, I know, Lou. Doug killed in an auto accident and a heart attack took Tom. But you, of all people, shouldn't let that get to you. Shit, you're a clinical psychologist, a shrink. Is this bothering you?" Tim asked softly.

"No, Tim. Not bothering me, but thinking about sure dampens one's spirit, which is only normal. I should know," Lou laughed. "Anyway, Tim, just wanted to call and tell you that I've moved. It seems that I'm only about a half hour drive away from you now."

"Hey, that's great, Lou. I can't wait to see you and Marci. Let's get together."

"Oh boy, you don't know," Lou muttered. "Marci died of ovarian cancer over a year ago, Tim. That's one reason that I decided to move. I wanted to get away from that part of the country, too many memories."

There was a pause. "Damn, Lou. I'm really sorry. Why didn't you call? I would have been there for you, we all would have."

"I know, Tim. But this was a time when I really wanted to be alone. It was a tough time for me and I needed to handle it by myself. It's just a character trait. I do understand myself, I've had enough practice," he chuckled quietly. "Anyway, Tim. How about lunch tomorrow. Can you get away or is your new business taking up all of your time?"

"Lunch sounds great, and yes, I can get away. Luckily I have great people here and I don't have to hover over them. They know what has to get done."

The next day saw Tim and Lou seated in a comfortable booth giving their lunch order to the server. They chatted about old times and what they had been doing the past few years. Tim found out that Marci's illness had been sudden and her demise relatively swift. He knew how much Lou loved and depended upon his wife and he commiserated with him.

"Okay, Tim," Lou said. "You knew this topic would arise. What the hell happened between you and Susan. I can't believe that you're divorced, I don't think I had ever met two people more in love."

Tim suddenly and without warning felt his heart move into his throat. He choked up and couldn't speak for a moment. Lou saw this and a frown of concern crossed his features. "Easy, buddy. Just relax and take a deep breath. Don't try to say anything for a few minutes. Lou grasped him by the forearm and squeezed.

"Damn," Tim finally gasped. "What the hell happened? I don't knew where that came from. It took me by surprise. Sorry, Lou - I didn't mean to lose it like that."

Tim took a deep breath and looked at Lou. "Lou, don't tell me that you're going to pull some psychological shit, or try to analyze me, please. All of this has been just too painful and I really don't want to dredge up the whole sordid mess. It's been almost two years now and I have to learn to get over her."

"Tim, you know better than that. I'm a friend, pure and simple and I would never treat you as a patient. I know you too well and we have too much history behind us. What I do know is that you need someone to unburden yourself to and I also know you'll never find someone better than the guy in front of you now."

Tim finally nodded and admitted, "Yeah, I know you're right. Let's eat first and then walk over to my place. It's close by."

They spoke of inconsequential things during lunch, then strolled over to Tim's apartment where they made themselves comfortable in easy chairs with a good bottle of wine which they shared.

Tim wasn't sure where to begin. He knew that Susan's adultery wasn't the start of their troubles - it had started long before that culminating event. So he began to tell Lou of how Sue had slowly changed over the past few years. He again relived the little slights, the contempt and indifference she had shown. He ended his discourse with Sue's adventure in Las Vegas.

Lou paid close attention to Tim's narrative, nodding or asking questions when appropriate. When he came to the Vegas event, he saw Tim hesitate and falter slightly. It was obvious that the pain was still fresh even after so much time.

"Tim, did you attempt to discover the reasons for Sue's change of attitude? Also, did you sit down with her after her tryst in Vegas and try to determine exactly why she did what she did?

"Shit, Lou. You're so fucking analytical. Her change in attitude didn't occur in a week, or even a month. It was gradual and almost insidious and it was just easier for me to ignore her when she got that way. I didn't want a confrontation with her, I was afraid I would lose control and get viciously angry. And no, I didn't sit down with her after she fucked her pick-up in Vegas and calmly discuss her state of mind. I was outraged, totally pissed.

"Lou, she betrayed me. She destroyed any trust I had in her. She was disloyal." Tim was sitting up, the strain evident on his face.

"Lou, how long would we have lasted in the field if we didn't have total trust in the other members of the team. One reason for our success and our very survival was the loyalty that underlay everything that we did. Without that we would have been doomed. Should I not expect the same from my own wife?" Tim's voice had gone up with his last sentence and Lou saw how agitated he was.

"Okay, Tim. Calm down. I understand what you're saying. I'm glad that you unloaded, I think that it may have done you some good.

Tim had sunk back into his chair. He was pale and shaken. He was also surprised how the pain still stabbed him so deeply. How long was he going to suffer, he asked himself. When would he finally get over her and find some peace?

*********************

Susan shuffled wearily to the front of the house in answer to the doorbell. "Oh, hi Jan. Come in," she said softly.

Jan entered and shook her head in exasperation. "For God's sake, Sue. You look like shit. You've got to get your life back on track. It's been almost two years since your breakup and you're treating it like it was yesterday."

Sue's eyes flashed in sudden anger, then she paused and a look of fond amusement came over her face. "Jan," she chuckled. "You're the only person on earth that can talk to me like that. You're still the mother hen looking after her chicks. I'm ok, really, honey."

"Ok?" Jan exclaimed. "Look at you. Your hair is a mess, that housecoat is old and ragged, you have no makeup on and it's almost noon. That doesn't look like you're all that ok. Look, Sue, I don't mean to hector you constantly, but you have to start living again."

Sue just smiled at her friend. "Jan, I am living. I'm working at my old firm and I'm enjoying it. I find it interesting and engaging. I'm a mess now because it's the weekend and I don't have to get made up. What do you want, I should make believe that Brad Pitt is coming to visit?"

"Yuck," Jan replied, returning her grin. "I'm talking about a social life, Sue. Have you gone out on one date? Have you shown any interest in a man? Damn, I wonder - have you even spoken to any man since Tim left?"

A cloud of sadness came over Sue's features at the mention of her ex-husband. "Jan, I'm not interested. Really Jan, I'm just not interested. I screwed up royally and now I'm paying the ultimate price."

They sat around the kitchen table while Sue made coffee. She continued trying to explain to Janet what she was feeling.

"Jan, I've told you this before, but you just don't seem to understand what I'm saying. It wasn't just my stupid fall from grace with Walt, it was the months and months before that. I had become a shrew, the worst kind of wife. I realize that now, now when it's too late. Tim didn't deserve that. I treated him terribly because I had forgotten why I had fallen in love with him in the first place. It wasn't until it was all too late that I woke up. I've lost him, Jan and I know that it's over. I should have known, I really should have known. Loyalty is everything to Tim and I destroyed that. I was disloyal to him and to our marriage vows. He will never forgive that, and without Tim, I'm just not complete. So I have absolutely no desire at the present to start dating and to begin any relationships. Perhaps one day I'll change my mind, but for the present I'll continue doing what I'm doing."

Sue then whirled on Janet and threatened, "So knock it off already, girlfriend. Enough bitching, ok? Besides, you've been a widow for four years now and you're still single and not attached," she said, but with a grin.

Jan sighed and agreed. "Ok, no more bitching, but you are going out for dinner with me tonight. I'm alone right now and so are you. At least we can go out and have a nice meal."

Sue and Jan were settled into a booth at the South St. Grill, a restaurant that was a favorite of theirs, finishing their meal when Sue gasped and moved back into the corner of the booth.

"What's wrong," Jan asked worriedly.

"Shit," Sue muttered. "Tim just walked in...........and, oh my God, it's Lou Kaufman with him. I haven't seen him in ages."

"Who is Lou Kaufman?" asked Jan, looking at the two men being seated at the front of the restaurant.

"Oh, one of Tim's old navy buddies. He's a nice guy. We would get together with he and his wife Marci every once in awhile. They're from out of town. I wonder where Marci is and what Lou is doing here? Jeez, I hope that Tim doesn't see us sitting here." she worried.

Jan's mind was racing. A very vague and tentative plan was starting to take shape, but its outline was much too nebulous yet. She did recognize that this Lou could be a very valuable ally.

Janet excused herself and went into the ladies room. There she took a page out of her notebook and scribbled a few lines and then folded the paper into a small square and placed it in her pocket. Returning to the table, she told Sue that they would, of course, have to stop and say hello to Tim and his friend.