Music Man Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"OK."

"Well, I'm sorry."

"See you tomorrow," and he disconnected.

In fact the gig had been very successful, and they got a good revue in the local media, who were kind enough to say that the new keyboard contribution was a real asset to the band.

The second night was as good, and this time was sold out. Sales of CDs and DVDs trebled. All in all, Birmingham was a success.

The band tumbled out of the venue, leaving Ged to clear his stuff up and load his car, so it was nearly midnight when he got on the road for the ninety minute journey back home. Fortunately the motorway was relatively empty, the journey uneventful and peaceful. He arrived home at half past one, and found that Cassie had gone to bed and was asleep. He toyed with the idea of sleeping in the other bedroom, but dismissed the idea as petty, and he climbed into bed as stealthily as he could.

She stirred, half opened her eyes, smiled and was asleep again. Ged smiled in his turn and fell asleep.

He awoke with the sun streaming in through the bedroom window and the bed empty. He got up and used the bathroom, shaving and cleaning his teeth before returning to the bedroom, to find a mug of tea by the bed. He climbed back into bed and sat drinking his tea.

He noticed Cassie's tea on her side of the bed, but of her there was no sign. Then he heard her padding along the hallway and she came into the room, approached the bed and climbed in. Naked. Kneeling she face him.

"Ged, I-"

"Not now, love," he interrupted her. "Save it till later. Come here."

She came to his arms and they hugged hard, she lifting her face for a kiss and receiving one, which went on for some time.

"Welcome home," she whispered as they came up for air.

"Glad to be back," he replied. "It went well, the gig. Didn't get away until midnight - putting my own stuff away. Apparently I don't qualify for their roadie. The others went off to a club."

She snuggled down against his chest, and his arm went around her, stroking her back absently as he finished his tea.

They did not make love. Somehow they both silently agreed that until their altercation of three nights ago was settled, it was not fitting.

Each of them had come to a decision, and it was to cause another argument.

"Cassie, darling?"

"Yes?"

"After what happened before I left-"

"I want to talk to you about that-"

"Let me finish. It's clear you hurt when you think of me with that band, and you're right, they are all selfish, self-centred, venal and promiscuous bastards. I can't have you worried sick every time I go away. So I've decided to turn down any offers they make about the future. I'll carry out my obligations for this fortnight and then I finish with them for good."

"Ged, darling, please," she lifted herself from him so as to look into his eyes. "I don't want you to give up this chance. No, don't interrupt. It's true I have issues with the band, and that I have trust issues with you, but the issues are inside me; you have never given me the slightest sign that you are interested in anyone else. It's my insecurity that's been driving me."

"But you'll be worried all the time, I don't want that."

"No I won't. I've learned my lesson. I had that daft idea of trying to test you to see if you could resist one of those groupies. It never entered my head that you would see what I did as one of my fantasies! I was stupid.

"I've got to deal with these feelings myself, and I can't if you give up on the band. I have to learn to trust you. If they want you after this fortnight, I want you to agree. I can't let you allow this chance to pass by. Please, Ged, do this for me."

It was the last thing he expected Cassie to say. Personally, from his brief association with the band, he had come to the conclusion that Joshua and Peter were for him, but the other two disliked him, and none of them was the sort of person he would ever have as a friend. He knew Zak hated him, and he knew why.

"I doubt there'll be anything else after this," he said. "They don't like me, and I don't like them. Hell, Cassie, I don't think, apart from Amos and Zak being buddies, they actually like each other. Zak is dead against me, so I can't see it happening."

"But if they do want you," she persisted, "please take the chance."

"OK," he said, "but I want you to remember this morning if I end up joining the band. No more stunts, and always talk with me if you're worried or upset - promise me that?"

"Yes, of course." she said. "I promise."

"I want to be sure of this, Cassie," and he repeated his question, "I want your solemn promise you'll talk with me if you're worried about anything."

"She looked puzzled, but then agreed. "You have my solemn promise. I will talk to you, no matter what."

He pulled her to him and they made love. No urgent passion, just a gentle coupling to cement this step in their relationship.

At lunchtime he left for Newcastle.

Chapter Eight

The other gigs Ged had signed up for went well and were all sold out. It became clear that the band's reputation was spreading rapidly. There were downloads from all over the world as well as the UK. At the end of the tour Ged was paid off and Leo called a meeting.

"The record company wants Ged Smith to join the band." he stated and waited.

"No way!" said Zak.

"He's aroused a lot of interest, and that's unusual for a keyboard player," Leo persisted. "We've got the new album to record, and a single to put out two months from now. I think you all need to consider the record company's wishes. They know what sells, and we're selling a lot more since he joined. MTV want to give you an hour slot, and once again, they want Ged in the band."

"Can't we just use him for these things and then let him go?" asked Amos, anxious to back Zak up, while wanting to be more constructive.

"And what happens when the next tour comes along?" Leo asked. "How do you fill in the gap he'd leave then?"

"He's well professional," said Peter, making a contribution for once. "Comes in, plays his part, adds his bits of riffs and they come off."

"Fucking ponce!" muttered Zak.

"Zak, you moron!" spat Joshua whose patience with the bass player was wearing thin. "You thick or something? These blokes know what sells. If they all want him, I want him - he adds fucking good stuff to us."

"You lot have to decide," Leo said. "You just made the big time, you're famous. You want to throw it away?"

"I say get him in," said Joshua. "He's got a good job, earns a packet. He may not want us. Thought of that?"

"Peter?" Leo said asking for his vote.

"I say he joins," said Peter. "Definite."

"Amos?"

"Well," Amos temporised, conscious of Zak's hostility. "No harm in discussing it with him."

"No sodding way!" growled Zak. "He's not that good. Any wanker could do what he does. Bloody keyboards - the fucking keyboards do all the work. He'll blow us apart if he joins. And we all lose money, don't forget that! He'll have to get his share. No!"

"What you got against him?" asked Joshua. "You've hated him since he came. What's he done to you?"

"He's a stuck up little gayboy," said Zak aggressively. "He's not one of us. Doesn't join us after gigs - goes running off to his girlfriend. We're raw, ordinary - that's our band. Upper class bugger - with his fancy riffs - not our style. He's changed everything. We're not a fucking orchestra!"

"We have to decide," said Leo. "I've got a lot of people breathing down my neck wanting to know."

"We try to get him," asserted Joshua.

"Yeah," said Peter. "He's OK."

Amos felt loyalty to Zak but was intelligent enough to know that their future was in the balance. He nodded his agreement.

"If he joins," Zak shouted, "I fucking go!"

"Don't be a fool, Zak," said Leo. "With Ged in the band, you've got a future - a big one. We're talking big money here. You're just starting to get the goodies, you going to throw it all away?"

"I mean it. He's in? I'm sodding well out!" Zak had been bluffing at first, but now he was obstinate; he couldn't change without losing face.

The band looked at him, and for a moment he thought he had won. Then they shrugged collectively.

"We negotiate then?" asked Leo.

They nodded.

"That's it! I'm out. So long, suckers!" and he slammed his chair back and made for the door.

"Don't be so bloody fucking stupid!" shouted Amos after him, but Zak scowled at his friend and left.

--

"Leo phoned."

"Oh?"

"He wants to talk about me joining the band full time."

"Oh."

"You still OK with that?"

"Yep! I'm over my hissy fit."

"I can still refuse."

"No way, my love! You go ahead, it's going to open so many avenues for your work."

"It'll mean I have to resign from work. Burning bridges."

"Do it!"

--

If they had underestimated Ged's prowess as a musician, now they were to realise how much they were underestimating his skill as a negotiator. Gus had come with him, but left the donkey work to Ged.

It was the Monday after the tour ended. The band was assembled with Leo.

"Well?" Ged asked.

"We had a meeting," Leo replied, "and they've agreed they want you in the band."

"On what terms? Temporary or permanent?"

"Permanent."

"If I were to agree," Ged continued, "You realise I will be giving up a permanent, secure and very well paid job?"

"Come on Ged," said Joshua, becoming irritated. "You know we're about to hit the really big time."

"Where's Zak?" he asked in response.

"Zak's left the band," said Peter.

"That a problem?" asked Ged with a feeling of relief.

"We need a bass player, obviously." said Leo, wondering where all this was leading.

"What's in the offing for the band?" Ged asked.

"We do an album in the next four weeks," said Leo, "and a single from it for issue in about two months. I've been working on a European tour, it's practically sorted - four countries so far, as well as more in the UK. A few gigs more locally here and there in the meantime."

"Until you find a bass player, I can play bass guitar and I can replicate it on keyboards if necessary," Ged said. "If the European tour comes off though, we need a technically highly qualified road manager, someone with qualifications in instrument technology, who knows how to treat and if necessary repair our equipment. If they have some knowledge of computerisation and of the audio-visual stuff, so much the better. We won't have that company you're using at the moment when we're on tour. Now to the money."

Ged wanted a quarter of the takings after Leo had taken his percentage cut and all other expenses paid. He wanted it paid to Gus, who would take a cut of Ged's money in his turn. When they appointed a bass player the division would be five way.

Leo and Joshua wanted Ged to take a salary equal to what he had been earning, and be a probationer in the band for the first year. Ged said no to the idea of probation. There was an impasse.

Ged then brought up the matter of the copyright on the music for Joshua's hit song. They thought he was bluffing until he showed them the music and his own words, along with the date it was printed with copyright. He sat back.

Leo and Joshua immediately realised Ged could sue them for breach of copyright, and get back payment for a proportion of the performing rights and for all the records sold. It would be a good deal of money and would hit the band members hard where it mattered - in the bank balance.

Then Ged said he would waive his rights to the tune in exchange for a large payment, or instead he could get his proportion of the band's profits - an equal fourth share along with the remaining band members until a bass player joined them, when they would all take a fifth. There really was no choice if they wanted Ged - and if the band were ambivalent about his joining, everyone else with a vested interest did want him. They nodded their assent.

Leo as their agent and lawyer drew up a new contract. Gus, who was also a lawyer, checked it on Ged's behalf and agreed it was fair. Everyone signed. The band were not happy but there was nothing they could do. Suddenly Ged was about to become very wealthy.

Ged returned home at lunchtime. Cassie was finished with her thesis and awaiting final results, so she was waiting for him with an expectant expression.

"Well?" she asked, her eyes shining.

"Good news and bad news." he replied trying to look serious. Her face clouded.

"Go on!" she urged.

"I've joined the band, I get a quarter of all profits after Leo and Gus have taken their cuts."

"A quarter?" She was puzzled. "But there are five in the band now you've joined."

"Zak's left the band apparently. He hates my guts and we both know why. Talk about cutting off his nose to spite his face!"

"But I finished with him half a year before I met you," she said with some surprise.

"I don't think he's accepted that. I'm sure he still wants you."

Cassie felt a muted shock, and a strange feeling. Did she still also feel something for Zak? No, she assured herself. He cheated.

Ged continued, not noticing her change of expression. "We make an album during the next month, and cut a single for later release, then the album will be issued. There'll be a few isolated gigs. That's the good news."

"And the bad?"

"There's going to be a European tour. It'll last at least a month, perhaps two or three. I'll be away the whole time; no coming home between gigs."

Her face fell, but then she smiled bravely.

"It'll be worth it?" she hazarded.

"Certainly from the financial side, but I'll miss you terribly." He said earnestly.

"We'll get through it," she replied, sounding more confident than she really felt.

--

Chapter Nine

Things settled down that autumn. Cassie gained her master's degree and obtained a position in a publishing house. It was work she loved, being immersed in assessing and editing the work of aspiring writers, and some more well-known authors.

Ged for his part resigned from his job, and was surprised when he was told that if he ever considered returning, to get in touch. Thanks to the recession the company were looking to let someone go, and Ged saved them from that unpleasant task. Though he had only been employed for a year, the company gave him two months salary in lieu of notice, and it tided the couple over the time before the money from the band would begin to roll in.

Since the album and the single were recorded in Manchester, he was able to return home each evening, and the same applied to the individual gigs they were offered. Rarely did he have to stay anywhere overnight.

Cassie was delighted. His membership of the band had turned out better than she could ever have hoped, and she was a happy woman with a job she loved and a boyfriend she adored and who was often at home doing his writing. Life was good for both. It helped that he seemed to adore her as well.

Christmas came and went, and the young couple visited both families as they did the previous year. Once again they celebrated the New Year with Cheryl and Brian, but there was no party, just a few friends, since there was now a three month old daughter, Sarah, in the house. Viccy and the group were there, and Ged joined them in some quiet music.

In February, Leo announced he had finalised the European tour. It would begin in August and take about four months. Cassie shrugged at the news; after all it had been expected. She did not like it, but Ged suggested that she join him at Christmas in Italy or Greece after the end of the tour, and she found that an attractive proposition.

Ged had been thinking, and realised that four months was a long time to be apart. At the beginning of March he bought a ring.

On the weekend of the ninth of March he took her by first class rail to a Michelin star restaurant in London, and after dessert, he went down on one knee in full view of the whole place and asked her to marry him.

She burst into tears and nodded vigorously, to the applause of the whole place. He took out the ring, a huge solitaire diamond, and slipped it onto her finger. Champagne followed for the whole restaurant.

When they returned to the hotel, she told him to have one drink in the bar and then join her in the room. When he arrived she was in the bathroom. There was a note on the bed telling him to strip naked and lie on the bed, which he was delighted to do. Then the bathroom door opened and Cassie emerged.

She was a vision in ivory. She had a long semi-transparent nightdress, with spaghetti straps and a deep V between her breasts, showing that she was wearing a sheer ivory bra to match beneath. She stood before him quite shyly, and he obligingly gasped and held out his hands to her, his already half-mast penis rising to attention to reinforce the effect she was having on him.

She shrugged off the straps to the dress, which fell to the ground, revealing her lacy bra and briefs set in the same ivory colour, set off with a pair of ivory thigh high stockings.

"Oh, God," he gasped. "You're so beautiful!!"

They made love gently and at some length.

Ged for his part felt he had died and gone to heaven. The vision of the woman he found excruciatingly beautiful, dressed in this demure and at the same time erotic underwear, with her eyes closed in ecstasy and a smile playing on her lips, was almost impossible to bear.

When the feelings receded they opened their eyes and gazed at each other. Then they began to laugh. It was soft laughter. It was triumphant. Like their first time.

They rose then, she shed her clothing and they showered together, washing each other down with gentleness and care. There was no attempt to excite each other; now was the time to be romantic and to cement their commitment. They dried each other and went back to bed, naked - and slept.

In the morning they gave each other oral pleasure, Cassie swallowing Ged's offering. Then they made gentle missionary love after Cassie revived Ged with her delicate lips and lively tongue. Each felt they had never been so close, so intimate, so sure of each other.

Then it was breakfast and the journey home.

The idyll did not last long. They had a party at the flat to celebrate. The band were invited and attended, and it was then that Amos realised why Zak was so antagonistic. Ged was engaged to Zak's ex-girlfriend. Zak had said that she dumped him for someone else, so he assumed that Ged had taken her from his friend.

He checked the next day, and Zak assured him that Cassie was perfectly happy with him, until she met Ged, and then she dumped Zak. The lie was enough for Amos. He would find a way to avenge his friend.

As for Cassie and Ged, they were happy as they had never been before - until Leo phoned in April. As always it was good and bed news, though Leo could only see good.

"Ged," he crowed, "It's good news - the best! You'll never look back after this!"

"What?"

"I've been getting more enquiries about the tour - further afield. It's not going to be a Euro tour any more - it's World!"

"You're saying that we have a world tour on our hands? How long for?"

"Ten or Eleven months?" Leo was almost apologetic. "South Africa, Australia, Japan, the Americas. They all want the band."

"That's a hell of a long time!" Ged offered.

"That's life. It'll be worth it in the long run. This band will never look back after this tour."

"The others? They happy with it?"

"Yes. They like the idea - travelling round the world. Of course, they haven't got ties like you have. I arranged a break of about three weeks in South Africa, around Christmas time. Perhaps Cassie could come over?"

Ged was not happy. He was absolutely sure that Leo had been working on the world tour all along: it was not possible to finalise a tour like that in such a short time. There were roadies and additional session musicians to organise in each country, hotel bookings, the set up at the various venues, transport etc, etc., but what could he do? The only consolation was the money.