Ne'er Do Well

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Garrett began laughing when the Deputy told him about the damage caused by his vehicle. The Deputy looked at him angrily and said, "I assure you, this is no laughing matter, Mr. Mans. You could have injured someone when you did that."

Finally, Garrett managed to get control of his laughter and said, "I'm sorry, Deputy, but I find it extremely funny and highly improbably that I spun my tires on leaving since I only live less than a block from the city offices and my truck has been in the garage for the last week. You can check with the Mason Ford dealership to verify all this if you wish. You can ask anyone in town—well, anyone except the Mayor and his cronies—and they will verify I have been walking or riding a bicycle for the last several days while my truck is being repaired. I strongly suspect all this is a result of my refusal to let the Mayor into my building to go through my personal papers and the vault in the old Bank of Stella. He told me, in front of witnesses, that I would suffer the consequences of refusing him access. In fact, we called your department because of his attempts to force entry into the building."

When he heard about the prior problem with the Mayor and the truck, the Deputy looked thoughtful before he said, "If what you say is correct, there may be a problem with the Mayor filing a false report. I need to take your statement and we will have a detective do some investigation into this matter. I strongly advise you to keep your distance from the Mayor, city employees, and the office until we get this straightened out."

After the Deputy left, Garrett called his attorney and reported the conversation. The attorney, Mr. Douglass, said, "I think you should do as the Deputy suggested and keep your distance. When you have to be around the city office and employees I suggest you carry and use a tape recorder so they can't falsely accuse you of something again. In fact, it might be a good idea to have a witness with you. And, above all, be sure to get written receipts for any funds you give them in cash."

That evening on the way home from his job Garrett had Bill, who was driving him to and from the job until his truck was repaired, stop at a local electronics store so he could pick up a tape recorder that would fit in his pocket. It was a good thing he did because when Garrett began to walk up the stairs to his apartment the Mayor confronted him. The Mayor stepped in front of Garrett and snarled, "Are you ready to cooperate with me now, young man, or do you need more convincing?"

Of course, when he saw the Mayor, Garrett turned on the tape recorder and adopted as non-confrontational a stance as he could then said, "What do you mean, Mr. Mayor? What am I supposed to be cooperating about and why are you here, on private property, accosting me?"

"You know damn well why. I told you if you didn't let me have access to the documents you found in the bank you would suffer the consequences. I've just started with you and look what it's cost you. Over $100 in one month just to have water in your building. If you continue stonewalling me you'll end up in jail and broke. All it will take is a couple of bruises and some broken windows and you'll be up on assault charges at the very least. Now, when can I get into the bank?"

"How about the twelfth of never? I told you once the papers in the vault were family documents and business related documents and you had no right to see them. My statement stands. Now get off my property before I call the Sheriff and report you for trespassing."

"OK, asshole. You let me know when you are willing to cooperate. Everything that happens to you is on your shoulders. I've warned you."

The Mayor stomped off angrily and Garrett climbed wearily up his stairs to his home. After he sat and ate his supper, he began thinking about what the Mayor said. He decided to wander around town and see if he could come up with something that would help. He called a couple of his friends and told them about the latest confrontation.

The next morning when he got to the job site Garrett heard one of his friends call to him, "Hey, Garrett, come over here a minute. I have something to show you."

When Garrett got to where his friend was sitting he showed him a short video clip he took on his phone that morning. He said, "I was driving past the back door into the city office—you know I live just down the block—and saw the Mayor and the meter reader talking behind the offices. The Mayor sort of held his head up and the meter reader hit him twice on the cheek. I got a shot of the second hit when the Mayor fell down and into the door. He broke the glass in the door and it looked like he was cut some. I guess you're not the only one the Mayor has pissed off now."

Garrett laughed and said, "Good. Now maybe he'll leave me alone."

About an hour later the same Deputy that talked to Garrett before drove up and approached him. This time he took out his cuffs and said, "Garrett Mans, you are under arrest for assault and battery, as well as damage to public property. Now, please turn around and hold your hands behind your back so I can cuff you sir."

After he was cuffed, Garrett said, "What the hell is this all about? I never touched anyone or destroyed any property. Is this about the discussion I had with the city clerk a few days ago? I thought we had that taken care of."

"I don't know anything about a discussion with the City Clerk. You are being arrested today because, this morning about 7:30 a.m., you allegedly had a confrontation with Mayor Parker and attacked him behind the city offices. He swore out a complaint. Now, You have the right to remain silent..."

As the Deputy was leaving, Garrett yelled at his friend, "Hey, Darren, please send that picture to my phone and to Mr. Oliver Douglass esq, my attorney. I have a feeling I'm going to need it."

When Garrett and the Deputy arrived at the county seat to process him into custody his attorney, Mr. Douglass, was there. After the necessary paperwork Garrett was allowed a conference with Mr. Douglass. The attorney said, "Well, it looks like this thing is just going to get worse and worse. Did you have a fight this morning with the Mayor? Is there anything to this accusation?"

"No, This is total bullshit, a complete fabrication. When I got home last night the Mayor was waiting for me and again tried to force me to let him into the vault. I am really beginning to wonder why he is so adamant he needs to see the contents of the vault. What is his real motive? It just can't be because he thinks there is something of interest to the historical society inside. That doesn't make any sense to me. Hell, if he had asked nicely we would have let him and the society see some of the historical documents and calendars and so forth.

"After I again refused to let him in I ordered him off the property. As he was leaving he told me to let him know when I was willing to cooperate and that everything that happens was on my shoulders. I'm sure glad I recorded the conversation like you said to do."

"You got it on tape? Great. Where is the recording?"

"Crap, I guess the Sheriff has it. I had the recorder with me today when they arrested me. I even taped some of the conversation with the Deputy. Well, I suppose I got almost everything today because it was running when he cuffed me. Oh, when they called you from my job site did they mention the pictures Darren took this morning behind the City Hall? HEY, I wonder if that asshole... Yeah, that's it, I bet."

"What?"

"Darren told me when he came by the City Hall this morning on his way to work he saw the meter reader and Mayor talking in the alley, then the meter reader hit the Mayor a couple of times and knocked him into the door. The glass broke and it looked as if the Mayor got cut. I bet the asshole was hurt this morning and instead of telling the truth that the meter reader did it, he blamed me. Darren was supposed to tell you about the video and send it to you. Surely, that will clear me."

Mr. Douglass smiled like the shark he was when he heard that. He stood and said, "I think I have enough for now. I need to get your recording before it disappears or is damaged or erased and I need to find that witness of the altercation this morning. You can bail out probably after the preliminary hearing, but if this goes like I expect they will release you. I wouldn't be surprised if your good Mayor doesn't end up in jail in your place. The preliminary hearing will probably be tomorrow, Thursday at the latest."

The rest of the day and the entire night felt weeks long to Garrett. He sat alternating between fear that he would end up staying in jail for some time and anger at the damn Mayor for doing this to him. He just, for the life of himself, couldn't understand why this was happening. Sure, he refused to let the Mayor into the vault to go through the papers it contained, but why was he so damn angry and vindictive about that? If he had asked nicely and been willing to wait for a couple of days until Garrett had a chance to look some of the documents over he would have let him see them. After all, he did have a valid reason for asking to see them. It was entirely possible some of the documents would add to the knowledge of the town's history. Garrett just refused to allow him unrestricted access, especially before he knew what, exactly, was there.

The next morning Garrett was shuttled over to the courthouse for his preliminary hearing. He was embarrassed to be seen shuffling along in his bright orange jump suit, shackles on his legs and hand cuffs on his wrists. There were three other prisoners with him and they made quite a spectacle as they shuffled from the transport van into the courthouse for their hearings.

Garrett's case was the first one held, for which he was thankful. When he was led into the courtroom it seemed as if everyone he knew was there. Bill, Kathy, Darren, and a couple other people he worked with were sitting watching him as he shuffled, clanked, and rattled down the aisle to his seat.

The Mayor was also there, and when he saw Garrett he grinned widely and winked at him. There were a couple of nasty looking bruises on his face and his arm and the back of his head had bandages, probably from the cuts he received when he fell into the door and broke the glass.

After a few uncomfortable minutes sitting in the noisy courtroom Garrett saw the Bailiff stand and heard him say, "All rise for the Honorable Judge Judy McFarland."

After the judge entered the courtroom and took her seat she invited everyone else to be seated. After everyone was seated, she banged her gavel and called the session to order. She then called for the first case. When she received it, she read the charges against Garrett and explained this was the preliminary hearing to see if there was enough evidence to bind him over for trial on the alleged offenses.

The prosecutor stood and presented his case first, explaining to the Judge and court how dangerous and unreasonable Garrett was. He said he had witnesses and evidence that would prove Garrett did assault the Mayor of Stella on the day in question and had a history of threatening behavior. He told the court of Garrett's alleged threats on the day he tried to get his water turned back on and even described the alleged damage to the City Hall from rocks and gravel thrown onto the building when Garrett allegedly drove off in anger on that day.

After the prosecution presented his case, Mr. Douglass stood and began refuting the points made by the prosecution. He said, "Your Honor, my client, Mr. Garrett Mans, pleads not guilty to these charges. I have evidence that will prove my client, in fact committed none of these offenses. If it pleases the court, allow me to refute these charges in chronological order.

"First, the alleged threats made in the City Hall to the City Clerk. There is no evidence or witnesses to these threats. It is my client's word against that of the wife of the Mayor who also serves as City Clerk. Secondly, on the date he alleged spun his tires and threw rocks and gravel onto the City Hall he was walking. His vehicle was in the garage being repaired and had been there for a week. I have here proof of this that I would like to introduce as defense exhibit number one.

"Second, My client was nowhere near the City Hall on the morning of Tuesday, last at the time he allegedly assaulted the Mayor and knocked him into the door breaking the glass. I have witnesses that state he was with his supervisor on the way to a job site for work. His truck was still in the garage and he was riding back and forth with fellow workers to get to the job sites.

Mr. Douglass stood and said, "I have here a video taken on the morning in question, Your Honor, showing not Mr. Mans assaulting the Mayor, but Clarence Jordan, the city Meter Reader, hitting the Mayor in the face and knocking him into the door. I do not know why the Mayor chose to blame my client for this injury, but it is obvious he did not commit the alleged crime."

The observers in the courtroom broke out into murmurs as they discussed the bombshell just delivered. The Judge rapped her gavel on its pad three times and said, "Quiet. Be quiet or I will clear the room."

When he heard Mr. Douglass eviscerate his case against Garrett the prosecutor looked sick. At the same time Mayor Parker stood and rushed through the gate separating the audience from the attorneys and participants in the hearing. He rushed at Garrett and shouted, "You fucking asshole. I will not let you get away with shitting on me like your family did my great grandfather. I know you have evidence in that bank that will clear his name. Your family stole his farm and then got him sent to prison for bank robbery and murder. I know you can clear his name and then you'll have to return our farm to us."

When the Mayor approached Garrett he tried to strike him. Garrett raised his still shackled wrists and blocked the blow then watched as two Bailiff's apprehended Mayor Parker. After they had him subdued the Judge said, "Arrest that man for contempt of court, assault, and perjury. After I review the evidence and statements from this case I might find other charges to bring against him."

The Judge turned to look at Garrett and Mr. Douglass, then banged her gavel. She said, "I find no probable cause to hold Mr. Mans for trial on these charges. Case dismissed."

It was after noon before Garrett was processed out of the jail and allowed to return to his home. He was exhausted both mentally and physically from his ordeal. At least now some of the Mayor's actions made some sense. Well, not really, but he at least knew what caused the animosity and drove the Mayor. If he ever knew the name of the bank robber who attempted to rob the bank and shot his great great grandfather, he had forgotten it.

By the time Garrett returned home his friends had heard the news of his release. Some of them were waiting on him to arrive at his house and they let out a cheer when he exited the county vehicle that returned him to his doorstep. An impromptu party broke out in the shade of his building. Somewhat to his surprise he found himself unwinding and relaxing as some of the fear and anger drained from his body as it filled with beer and snacks ordered as take out from the cafe two doors down.

Just before three p.m. the garage called and told Garrett his truck was ready to come home. He and Kathy drove the 20 miles to town and picked it up even though they were probably over the legal limit of blood alcohol content to do so. When they arrived back at his house the small parking lot was packed with people partying on. Some of them hadn't even realized Garrett was gone.

Garrett never knew what time he managed to stagger, or more nearly crawl, up the stairs to his apartment and fall into his bed. He remembered telling some of the people he worked with that he was going to take the remainder of the week off before he returned to his work. Work, strangely enough, he was coming to enjoy more and more. He found he really liked working with his hands and watching buildings take shape from his labors. He even enjoyed the more onerous tasks involved in remodeling and restoring some of the older homes they were hired to work on. He was especially proud of his work restoring the apartments in his old bank. His own apartment was much larger, than those he restored for rentals. The rental units had been restored and upgraded into very nice units, much nicer than the majority of rentals in the small town in which he lived. Now it was time to begin upgrading his own apartment but he couldn't decide exactly what he wanted to do to it.

CHAPTER 6

Early the morning after his release from jail Garrett staggered from his bed—well, not so early actually, it was nearly noon—and made himself a pot of coffee. He sat on his covered balcony overlooking the main street of his hometown while he drank the bracing elixir. He decided to pack up his old Ranger FX4 and disappear to his camping spots along the stream running through his farm. He needed the solitude and calming influence of his little plot of ground before returning to his daily grind.

After his coffee pot was drained Garrett packed up the food he thought he needed for his three day stay and loaded everything in his truck. He normally kept his fishing gear and weapons in the truck so he was ready to go. Now, as normal, he wished there was a store in town where he could add to his food supplies and buy some alcohol but there wasn't. He made a slight detour to pick up those items he wanted but didn't have at home, then hurried to his camp.

When he got to his favorite camp spot, Garrett didn't tarry. He set out to erect his tent made from a couple of plastic tarps then laid his fire for later. He grabbed a beer and his chair then sat listening to the sounds he loved so. He watched the stream flow past and an occasional fish break the surface of the water in the deep pool beside which he camped. In the distance there was the sound of an old square bailer and tractor as one of the neighbors bailed a small field of alfalfa hay. Occasionally a cow would low or a rooster crow. Garrett felt the tension flow out of his tense body as the peace embraced him and he soaked up the calming country sounds.

As dusk was falling, Garrett rose and pulled his fishing pole from his truck. He searched around until he caught a few grasshoppers and a couple of grub worms then headed to the river to catch his supper and breakfast.

The fish seemed to bite the worms better than the grasshoppers. Within thirty minutes he caught two nice crappie and called it a day. One of the fish he left on a stringer for the morning, the other he quickly cleaned and took back to his camp for supper.

Before the next hour was up Garrett had prepared his supper of fried crappie, fried potatoes and onions and a small can of pork and beans, eaten it and cleaned up after himself. He laid out his sleeping bag and relaxed on it with his hands under his head as he listened to the evening sounds. There were all types of chirps, croaks and other sounds as the wildlife wandered around. He especially liked to listen to the splash of jumping fish and the spring peepers as night fell to cloak the land in relaxing darkness and silence not known in the cities or even in the small town in which he lived.

Garrett woke with the sun the next morning and quickly prepared his coffee. While the coffee perked he stripped and went into the super cool water for a relaxing swim to wash the grungy feeling of dried sweat off his body from the heat of the previous night.

Garrett didn't bother dressing after his swim. He poured his first cup of coffee and sat beside the stream drinking it. He relaxed while watched the fog rise from the water and glow whitely in the just rising sun. Birds flitted from place to place and an occasional fish splashed in the slowly flowing water. By the time the sun was completely up, Garrett drank his coffee pot dry and was ready to prepare his breakfast. He fried several slices of bacon, an egg and more potatoes and onions for the first meal of the day, deciding to keep the fish for later.

1...34567...13