North to Alaska

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Hey, there, handsome!" she said reaching down and picking him up. "Did you have a good nap?"

"I don't take naps anymore," he told her. Lindsay wasn't about to argue with him. She just carried back into the living room. When she went to set him down, he wouldn't let go.

"You have to let Ms. Rollings go, buddy," Grant said trying to take him from her.

Leif had a death grip on her neck and Lindsay said, "I don't mind at all, Grant. I mean if it's okay with you, of course."

He patted his son on the back then said, "As long as you don't mind, it's fine. But when you get tired of holding him, just say so, okay?"

She sat down and held Leif on her lap as Grant poured them a glass of wine. "You want something to drink, Leif?" he asked from the kitchen.

"Ginger ale, please," he said politely.

"Coming right up!"

Hendricks brought in the glasses and let Leif have his in a wine glass, too.

"I have the same as you!" he said holding it up with both hands.

"That's because you're so big," Lindsay said smiling at him.

Grant offered his glass and said, "Do it easy, okay?" to Leif as they all touched. Leif took a big first drink then immediately belched. When he laughed, both adults laughed, too.

"That's the first time I've heard him laugh in...a very long time," Hendricks said smiling at his boy. "That was quite a burp."

"I can do it again," he said proudly. "Watch me!" He tried but couldn't make it happen. He was soon out of ginger ale and still trying to do it again.

"Maybe next time," Lindsay said. Leif let her have his glass then curled up in her lap. She ran her hand through his curly hair and said, "He's such a sweet boy."

"He really is a good kid." He watched them for a moment then said, "He really likes you, Lindsay."

She kissed the top of his head and said, "Then the feeling is mutual."

"I do like you, Ms. Rollings," Leif said putting his little arms around her neck. "I'm glad you're my teacher." Lindsay fought back the urge to cry and somehow managed to smile without tears.

The adults made small talk until dinner. Lindsay told him the story of how she came to move all the way to Fairbanks, and he told her about his 19 years in the Air Force, what he did as commander of a flying squadron, and how he planned to retire in 11 more months.

"They have a position here for a civilian pilot and I'm going to apply for it as soon as I'm eligible. The guy who's had the job for the last seven years is retiring, and I think I've got a pretty good shot at getting it."

"Oh, so you're planning on staying here then?" Lindsay asked more than a little surprised.

"I think so. I've been here for three years and this place kind of grows on some people. Had..." He whispered so Leif wouldn't hear, "My marriage not ended..." He switched back to his normal voice, "I'm sure I'd have stayed on active duty and taken orders to some new place. I'm almost certain I'd make colonel and maybe even get a shot at being a wing commander. But now? I want stability for Leif and since I kind of like it here, this makes sense."

"My sponsor said she and her husband stayed after he retired. Maya thinks they're crazy, but I can see that. Home is where the heart is, right?" she said before taking a small sip of her wine.

"Very true," he said. "Listen, dinner is just about ready so why don't we go ahead and move into the kitchen. If you don't mind giving me a hand, that is. Otherwise..."

"No, I'm happy to help. Or should I say, 'We're happy to help.' Leif? Are you going to help me help your dad?"

He nodded several times but didn't speak. Lindsay managed to stand up without letting him down and carried him into the kitchen. "In order for you to help, I have to let you down. Is that okay?"

He nodded again and she let it slide out of her arms. The plates and silverware were on the kitchen island and Lindsay said, "How about you set the plates down and I'll get the silverware. Is that okay?"

"Uh-huh," Leif said grabbing the plates. He plopped them down reasonably close to where they should go and Lindsay left them just like that.

"Perfect!" she said as she set out the silverware. "Thank you very much for your help!"

"Welcome," he said. As soon as she came back around to his side of the table he held his arms up again.

"You're a little big to be held all the time, aren't you, buddy?" Grant said thinking Lindsay must already be sick of carrying him around.

"No, I'm not that big," he said. Grant looked at Lindsay with that 'it's up to you' look and she happily bent down and scooped him up.

"You're big but not too big, right?" she said with a warm smile. Again, he just nodded before nestling his head in the crook of her neck.

Lindsay gladly kept Leif on her lap during dinner. She would never spoil a child and she was tough when it came to enforcing rules. But this was a special case where a little boy's world had been ripped apart by a mother he'd trusted and loved and who had abandoned him.

Grant was able to 'unglue' him from Lindsay after dinner by putting in a Disney movie as long as she sat next to him. Knowing he would be oblivious to their conversation, Grant was able to discuss what had happened and its effect on his son without affecting him.

"We were married for almost ten years and out of that, I was gone maybe five of those years. So while I do blame her where Leif is concerned I can't be bitter about what she did to me. I was as attentive as I could be when I was home, I just wasn't home often enough for her."

"But didn't she leave with some other pilot or something?"

"Yes, but he had orders to Nellis Air Base in Las Vegas so there's no telling how long she'll stay with him, either. I don't think she ever really wanted to be married and..." He lowered his voice just in case, "I don't think she wanted children."

"That's terrible," Lindsay said unable to imagine not wanting any child she might have. "You're a bigger person than I'd be. I think I'd be pretty angry and bitter."

"Leif is my main concern now. I'm retiring because I don't want to ever be away from him again. As commander of this unit at Eielson, I rarely go anywhere and as I said, I'll be done with it come next summer. I won't actually retire until October 1st, but I can take what's called terminal leave up to three months before that so it's really more like eight months."

"Will you miss it?" she asked.

"Not if I get this flying job. Being around the other pilots is great and I do love flying. The only real difference is I won't be wearing a uniform and I could grow my hair out a little longer if I wanted to."

"It looks great like that," Lindsay said with a smile.

"Well, thank you, but you're the one with the great hair. And the great smile and the..." He stopped talking and said, "I better quit before I get myself in trouble."

Lindsay smiled and thanked him for the compliment before changing subjects.

"So I guess your...what did you call Gabe?"

"My exec," Grant told her.

"Right. Exec. I guess he took Maya out to the officer's club last night."

"Yeah, how did that go?" he said. When he saw Lindsay's face he said, "Never mind. I probably don't want to know."

Lindsay laughed and said, "Let's just say my sister didn't get her way for the first time in...in...forever?"

Hendricks laughed then asked, "Do I want to know what 'getting her way means'?"

"Well, let's just say Maya is very...forward, very outspoken, and very um...willing when it comes to guys like Gabe."

"Oh, okay," he said with raised eyebrows. "So...he shot her down in flames, huh?"

"Exactly! And no one does that to Maya."

"Gabe is one of the most naturally gifted pilots I've ever known. He's already as good as some of my captains with five years experience. He's quiet and soft-spoken but also very strong-willed and determined."

"Well, Maya is making it her life's mission to um...have her way with him."

"This should be interesting because I've never seen him back down or give in on anything."

Lindsay laughed at the thought of a battle royal that was the opposite of the way most went where men and women were concerned. If Gabe were strong enough to stand up to Maya, he might just be able to break her will. "Nah. No way," Lindsay thought to herself.

"You know, it's funny how we're so different," she told Grant. "Maybe it's just birth order, but I'm the quiet one. I'm not shy, I'm just not aggressive or outspoken. Maya goes after what she wants whereas I kind of go with the flow."

"I have a younger brother and it's the same dynamic. I've always let my flying do the talking for me. Gabe reminds me a lot of myself at that age. Most fighter pilots are not only aggressive but downright cocky. And they often tend to um...get what they want. So it's almost humorous to think Gabe is the one who's holding out."

"I was just thinking the very same thing," she told him with a smile.

He smiled back then said, "Speaking of Maya, I've been wondering about something she said."

"Oh?" Lindsay said, her own eyebrows raised in anticipation.

"Yeah. That comment about you and you know, mature guys." He smiled at her again then said, "Is there any truth to that?"

"Well, I guess that depends on the specific mature guy we're talking about," she said coyly.

"I see. So um...is there any possibility I might be the kind of...mature guy you might possibly find interesting?"

"Mmm...possibly," she said just as coyly. "Why do you ask?" she said hoping to hear something positive.

"Because I find you very interesting, Ms. Rollings. I was hoping you might at least find me minimally so."

"Minimally interesting? Mmm...sure. You're minimally interesting," she told him trying not to smile.

"That's high praise," he replied wincing as though her remark had hurt. "Is there any way I might make myself more interesting to you?"

"Well, you're off to a pretty good start, colonel. It is colonel, right?" she said not wanting to mess that up.

"It's lieutenant colonel but no one uses the full rank except when they're identifying themselves on the phone. So colonel is fine, but I really do prefer Grant."

"But Gabe is just 'lieutenant', right? Not 'first' or whatever."

Grant chuckled and said, "No, we don't say 'first', either. How about we stick with Grant and Gabe?"

"Deal," Lindsay said.

"Great but you didn't answer my question about improving my chances with you."

"Ah, yes. The movement from minimally interesting to maybe...pretty interesting, right?" Grant smiled then Lindsay said, "I guess you could ask me out...or over...again. That might help." Hendricks went to speak but Lindsay quickly added, "A little."

"Tough crowd!" he said. "Okay. I'm a patient man and you are most definitely worth waiting for as long as it may take to impress you. Just beware that's my ultimate goal." He smiled then said, "At least for now."

"Are you flirting with me, colonel?" she said sweetly.

"Maybe a little," he admitted. "Am I getting any more interesting or am I about to go down in flames like my executive officer?"

Lindsay laughed then said, "Well, if you were thinking like Maya, you'd definitely be going down in flames. That is not and never has been my style. But as far as being more interested, I'm actually already...very interested."

"I'm glad," Hendricks said. "You're more than a little interesting to me, Lindsay, and I would like nothing more than to see you again. Soon."

"I think that could be arranged," she said unable to stop smiling.

"Would it be okay if I maybe set next to you so we could watch the movie together with Leif?"

"Sit by me, Dad!" Leif said out of nowhere.

Hendricks recoiled in faux fear as he stood up and whispered to Lindsay, "I hope he wasn't paying attention to anything else."

He sat on the other side of his son and after a few minutes reached over and put his arm around Lindsay's shoulder. "Do you mind?" he asked.

She reached up and took his hand then smiled at him. "I was beginning to wonder if you were ever going to do that."

He squeezed in a little tighter and Leif said, "You're squishing me!" The boy slid out and moved next to Lindsay and put his arm around her waist and his head on her shoulder while his dad pulled her in close.

"This is very nice," she said leaning her head on his shoulder. "I think I could get used to this."

"Yes, that would be very nice," Grant told her. She looked up briefly and when she did, their eyes met and in an instant, she found herself closing her eyes and accepting his kiss.

"Wow. Someone just got a whole lot more interesting to me," she said as she put her arm around Leif and her hand in Grant's.

It was close to midnight when Lindsay got home and Maya had been waiting up for her. She was at Lindsay's door at the same time her sister was. Maya shivered and said, "Open the door. It's freezing out here!"

As they stepped inside she said, "So? How'd it go?"

Before Lindsay could answer, Maya saw it in her sister's eyes. "Oh, my my. Look at you. You're in love! You are, aren't you? First date and you're head over heels for this guy. Come on, say it. I already know it so..."

"He's...nice," she said unable to not smile.

"Nice. Uh-huh. And Gabe is just 'okay' looking. Come on, girl. I tell you everything. So..."

"Don't remind me," Lindsay said.

"What? You don't want me to share with you?"

"Yes, I just don't need a...an...um...blow by blow account, okay?"

Maya laughed then said, "Seriously. You really like this guy, don't you?"

"Yeah, I kinda do," she told her.

"Ohhh!! Come here!" Maya said giving her sister a hug. "I have no idea why old, wrinkly guys turn you on, but if you're happy then I'm happy for you!"

"Hey, he's not wrinkly. He's...hot. And he's very nice."

"Oh, okay. A real...gentleman, right?" Maya made another face but smiled immediately.

"He is a gentleman. And Leif is the sweetest little boy. It just breaks my heart to know he's hurting so bad."

"Yeah, what a bitch. It's bad enough she dumps her husband—who is still kind of cute in an old-guy sort of way—but to abandon her child? Did I call her a bitch yet?"

"She lost all parental rights so she's out of the picture. Oh, and Grant is retiring next year and planning on staying here if he gets this flying job he wants."

"No. No, do not tell me you'd actually consider living here. Two years is one thing, Lindsay. But staying in this ice box? Seriously?"

"I don't know, Maya. For the right guy...anything is possible."

"Well, shit. I've really got my work cut out for me, don't I? I need to get into Gabe's...flight suit...and I need to get you the hell out of Fairbanks before you get sucked into this black hole forever."

"What happened to being happy for me if I'm happy?"

"Oh, do not throw my own words back in my face. You know how much I hate that. So just do not go there, okay?" Maya held out her arms again then said, "I really am happy for you. I've always known I'd eventually lose you to some lame, totally-domesticated guy. I just never dreamed it would be in a place like this."

"You haven't lost me. Grant and I haven't even been on a second date, so you've hardly lost me."

"Uh-huh. Like you're not already planning your wedding," Maya said staring at her sister. "Oh, my God! You are, aren't you! I see it in your eyes! Oh...my...God! Lindsay, you are such a hopeless romantic." She couldn't help but hug her sister again then tell her, "In spite of your many faults, I love you so much."

"I love you, too," Lindsay told her. "And yeah, I pretty much have it bad for him already. What can I say? You go for the um...physical, and I go for the heart. And he's got mine tied up in knots."

"Hey! What about a double date?" Maya suggested. "How much fun would that be?"

"You know Grant is Gabe's boss, right? So how much fun would that be?"

"Party pooper!" she said sticking her tongue out at Lindsay again. "Okay, I'm going to bed and dream about Gabe fu..."

"Don't say it, okay? Just...go dream it," Lindsay said before smiling then offering Maya one last hug. "Nite, sis," she said.

Wednesday came and went and when Maya stopped by Lindsay's before school she was in a particularly good mood. "Ah! So I take it things went according to plan last night?" Lindsay asked.

"Yes," Maya told her. "Just not my plan."

"Oh, really?" Lindsay said as she grabbed her coat, gloves, and scarf. "Do tell!"

"Yes, really," Maya said. "Is that so hard to believe?"

Lindsay stood right in front of her and put her nose on Maya's and looked into her eyes. "Um...who are you and where is my sister?"

"Hey! I can show restraint," she said.

"This is a first," Lindsay said as they got in her car. "Oh, hey. We need to get our tires changed. Snow is coming day after tomorrow."

"Oh, right! Like six inches or something," she said. She looked at her sister then realized the deeper meaning and laughed. "Okay, just because I'm being good doesn't mean I'm not thinking about it all the time. So when are you and Top Gun going out again?"

"Friday," she said. "Actually, I'm having them over here and no, you are not invited."

"Them? Is Leif going to accompany you on every date?" Maya asked but not in a snide way.

"I'd be okay with that," Lindsay said as she backed out. "He's such a sweet boy."

"Wow, you really do have it bad, don't you?"

Lindsay talked Maya into going with her to pick up some things for the apartment in her car while Lindsay's was in getting the tires changed. "We'll do yours tomorrow, but tonight I want to make this place look nice." Maya was happy to help and by the time they finished, the place really did look amazing.

"You know he's a guy so don't be too disappointed if he doesn't even notice."

"That's okay. I had fun decorating and thank you for helping, by the way."

Grant did actually notice and even complimented her on how nice it looked. "I can't believe you just got here. This looks really great, Lindsay."

"Do you like it, Leif?" she asked her favorite new student.

"Well, it kinda looks like a girl's room," he told her.

"Maybe that's because a girl lives here, right?" she said as she picked him up.

"You're not a girl. You're a teacher," he said authoritatively.

"Oh, right. I forgot. Silly me," she said before blowing on his neck to make noises. Leif giggled and laughed until he begged her to stop. "Not until you admit I'm a girl!" she said threatening more.

"Okay, okay! You're a girl!" he said trying to catch his breath.

Grant was laughing, too, and told Lindsay that was the first time he'd really laughed since... He didn't need to finish the thought. She knew exactly what he meant.

"Are you ready for winter yet?" he asked her.

"I think so. I have a zillion sweaters, two coats, gloves, scarves, stocking hats."

"Do you have a parka and cold weather boots and heated mittens?"

"Seriously?" she asked.

"Very," he told her. "A regular wool coat is worthless when it's 40 below. Any exposed skin will freeze in seconds."

"Looks like I have another excuse to go shopping. I better take Maya along, too."

"Speaking of Maya, I finally got young Lieutenant Moore to tell me how things are going and according to him, they're going very well."

"Hmmm. Interesting. Maya was in a very good mood yesterday and I just assumed, you know...but evidently they not only didn't, you know...but she was really happy. I've never seen her like this before. I know it's just two dates, but I think she really likes him, Grant."

"I get the impression the feelings are mutual."

"Well, if anyone can make a good girl out of my sister, my money's on Gabe."

"Can I go play with my Nintendo?" Leif asked.

Hendricks looked shocked but said, "Sure thing, big guy. It's right here." Leif grabbed it and went and sat by himself. "Wow. That's another first."