Occupational Hazards Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Somehow through all that rage inside me, I listened to reason. I could not abandon Nikki. And anything I did to Hunter could be detrimental to the mission. I had to believe the good guys would prevail in the end.

Nikki made a noise between a cry and a howl. Like a caged and wounded animal. "He left me there half-naked on the bed and went to watch TV."

I brushed my fingers up and down her left arm now. Considered that had to have been hours ago. What had she been doing since? How had she gotten away?

As if reading my mind, she said, "I couldn't move. I must have fallen asleep. It was dark when I woke, but the closest light was on. I saw Hunter packing a bag. He caught me watching and gripped my hair, yanking my head back. Told me he had to leave for a few days. That if I tried anything like that again, the ER wasn't going to be able to help me. And to know he wasn't done with me yet. He'd finish my punishment when he got back."

I wanted to say I was sorry, but those words felt inadequate compared to the degree of trauma she'd endured. And in all honesty, I don't think any words I could have said would have made a difference. The valve holding in her true feelings had been twisted too tight for too long. Now that it had been released, she just needed someone to listen.

When she pressed back against my arm, I reluctantly released her. Tears clung to her eyelashes. Her lower lip quivered. "Ben, what did I do to deserve this?"

I flinched, my eyes widening. "Why would you ever think that?"

"I-I just..." Her shoulders rose and fell heavily with her sigh.

"Nikki, there's something wrong with him, not you." I saw her lips press together, as if not believing me. "The only thing you deserve is to be treated right. Taken care of properly."

That dreamy look flickered in her eyes. Reminding me of her still-undisclosed secret. She dipped her head then. A gesture I noticed she did when she must feel ashamed. Wanted to hide.

I tucked two fingers under her chin, gently lifting it again. "Don't do that."

Her eyes blinked slowly, rising to meet mine. "Yes, Sir."

That look. Those two words. The soft whisper of her voice.

The lid on my box of memories blew off the hinges. There was no turning back now. God help us both.

~H