Outlander

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What what what," I stuttered out as I stood there dumbfounded.

"You've never seen a beast man or a beast folk before?" Shalyndria laughed as she saw the look on my face. She continued as she walked over to me and closed my mouth with one finger, "Hank's father is a full-blooded wolf beast man while his mother is human making him a wolf beast folk. Milla, my personal maid, is a full-blooded panther beast man. Are they that shocking?"

"Where I'm from, it's only humans on the entire world." I answered. "It was just a surprise. Milla is exotic and beautiful. She single?" I asked with a shy smile. I didn't miss the hurt look that flashed across her face for a split second. "Your hot as hell yourself." I managed to finish.

As a blush spread across her cheeks, "Flattery will get you only so far. And you should know Milla is engaged to Terrance and head over heels for him. Looks like a lot of lonely nights ahead for you." She chuckled as she walked away back towards the carriage.

I ran through the day in my head as I gathered firewood. Everything from the point I awoke in this world made my head spin. The only bright spot in the whole day seemed too far out of my reach. I watched Shalyndria as she talked with Milla and they prepared the food for dinner. I wondered what it would take to get on her radar.

As we started to eat, they all asked to hear about me, and I realized the only one I knew was Shalyndria and I felt bad. "Yes, tell Terrance what you said when you saw Milla Shaun, come on now!" Called Shalyndria after we finished. I glanced at him, and he didn't miss the nervous look on my face and laughed.

"Go ahead, I've probably heard it all before." He urged as the others laughed at our exchange."

"All right, all right. I said she is exotic and beautiful, then asked if she was single. In my defense, I didn't know you two were engaged yet." Was my counter as I noticed Shalyndria had left the fire side.

Everyone laughed, "Beautiful she is, no harm in noticing." Terrance commented as he walked over and kissed her cheek. "But more, and we have a problem," Was his obvious warning.

After Terrance had sat down and wrapped an arm around Milla's shoulder and she leaned against him, I saw the princess walking toward us with an ornate box in her hand. She looked at me as she sat down on my right. "Earlier you asked if you could use magic." She opened the box to reveal a crystal globe about the size of a softball. "When you hold this espial orb, the color will show what element you are most adept with and the brightness it shines will denote how deep your mana pool is." As Shalyndria picked it up, a crimson light as bright as a car's headlight shined. "As you can see, I'm strongest with fire magic and have a very deep mana pool." She handed it to Milla. It shone with a bright emerald color like a 140w lightbulb in her hand. "Milla is a talented healer with an average pool to draw from."

The three guards passed it between them next. They each had a white light with varying degrees of dimness. Terrance had the brightest, still only as bright as a car's dome light. "White means they can't use any elemental magic, but having a pool means they can use mana to strengthen their bodies to fight." Explained Shalyndria as she took the orb from Bob, the last to hold it. "As for what kinds of magic there are, red is fire of course while green denotes healing and silver denotes light. Blue is water and brown means earth. Storm grey is the color for wind while white is physical enhancement." She explained as the moon started to rise for the night. "White is the only color that can't use any others. While any magus can use physical enhancement magic, white magi can only use it. While the color tells us what your strongest element is, you can use all the others to some extent. Being a fire magus myself, water is naturally my weakest element though I can use some of the lower level spells." Shalyndria finished as she held the orb out for me to take.

I slowly reached for the orb in her hand. As my fingers got closer, a bright gold light started to emanate from it. Once my hand wrapped around it, it flared as bright as the noon day sun! We all cried out in pain as we pinched our eyes closed and turned from the light. In my worry, I dropped the orb to the ground and the light faded in the clearing.

"What the hell was that!" Yelled Hank as he rubbed his eyes trying to clear them.

"That can't be......." Shalyndria exclaimed softly while looking from me to the orb and back several times.

"What are we going to do princess? We'll never see him again if they find out." Milla cried from Terrance's shoulder.

"Who is they, and why would you never see me again?" I asked through gritted teeth. The old rage burned through me as I thought of being separated from the first real friends I have made in years. Wait, friends? Since when did I start having those again? As my thoughts started spiraling, I was pulled from my musings by the princess's next words

Shalyndria's shaky fearful voice echoed around the camp, "Gold is the color of a True Magi, a magus capable of using all elements equally. Even mixing them in ways never seen before. The church will declare you a demi-god and either control you or kill you. I have never seen the orb glow so brightly nor have I heard of it ever happening before." She said as tears filled her eyes.

I reached with my hand to wipe the tears from her eyes and realized something. My cold dead heart was beating again, for her. I leaned forward resting my forehead against hers and said, "I'll kill anyone who tries to take me from my friends." I looked at the others and continued, "that means you meatheads as well." I laughed and looked at the sky. Next to the silver moon I saw earlier was a maroon one about twice its size. "Wha..." was all that slipped out of my mouth as my brain shutdown and I was swallowed by darkness once again.


Chapter 4

When I awoke, I noticed the pre-dawn light coming through a slit in front of me. I also noticed my left arm being tightly hugged between two soft full mounds and looked over. My heart melted at the sight. Shalyndria slept peacefully looking like an angel. She clung to my left arm like a drowning person does a lifejacket. It was pressed right between her large soft breasts. As I contemplated what was going on, I heard her breath hitch and she mumbled, "No, please don't leave me."

I rolled so I faced her and wrapped my right arm around her waist and pulled her tight. While I tried not wake her, her eyes fluttered open as I again rested my forehead on hers. "I'm not going anywhere, I swear." I whispered as tears filled her eyes.

"You don't understand. They felt the pulse of magic when you held the orb and are already looking for you. It's only a matter of time before they come." She cried.

"You just made a big assumption there. That they could take me away in the first place." Was my only reply.

I did something I had wanted to do since I first saw her. I pressed my lips against hers and felt heaven. After a moment, she pulled away and looked at me. I could see the conflict in her eyes. "As much as I want that and more, we can't." My heart fell at her words. As I pulled away and started to get up, she must have seen something in my eyes or manner. She shot up, cupped my cheeks, and kissed me again slipping her tongue against mine briefly. "Yet Shaun. As a princess I can only marry a noble. However, an Outlander who has proven themselves honorable and powerful is acceptable. You are a good man, and, what I saw last night says it's only a matter of you being you to become acceptable." She told me this with a small smile.

"Why did you sleep in here Shalyndria?" I asked as I sat up to see where here was.

"We were worried how you would wake up; a small number of Outlanders became hostile after passing out as you did. It is believed their mind couldn't handle the differences in our worlds and snapped. They had to be killed before they took innocent lives. Every time, the first person they saw upon awakening was not fully human." She shivered in my arms as she told me this. "We thought a human being here, along with the signs they all saw last night, brought us to the decision of I would be best to be here."

"I've always been a fan of this kind of stuff in the entertainment of my old world." I chuckled as I let her stand and stood as well. "That is probably the reason I'm handling this so well."

We exited the tent I had been put in to see Hank on watch and Milla at the fire stirring a pot I presumed held breakfast. "Hey, sorry for worrying y'all last night. My brain might have overloaded a bit from all the new info it had to take in." I waved to them and smiled.

"I'm glad you're ok now. Food will be ready in a bit; can you wake Bob and Terrance for me?" asked Milla as Hank waved back, nodded and continued patrolling the perimeter.

I walked over to the other tent and went inside. "Bob, Terrance time to wake up. Milla says breakfast is almost ready." I called as I shook them awake.

"We'll be out in a minute. Good to see your still you Sean." Said Terrance as I pulled open the tent. I smiled to him as I walked out.

We pulled out of the clearing about 2 hours later and continued our journey. The only change was Milla took Shalyndria's seat next to me in the wagon. After an hour of silence, she spoke up, "She wants to be with you, but her position makes certain criteria necessary."

"I know. I just worry about how long it will take to be acceptable, and, if she will still want me then." I sighed as the horses walked on.

"Would you like to start learning to control your magic Shaun?" was her way of changing the subject on me. I smiled and nodded,

"How do I begin oh great teacher!" I enthusiastically answered.

"Start by closing your eyes and feeling for the mana. It flows like a river through your body. Find it, follow it, and map how and where it moves through your body. After you have memorized its paths and flows, make it materialize as a small ball of light in your hand. We can move on after you complete that." Became my first task.

We rode on for hours. We just started to see the tops of the city wall's towers when I felt it. Several men were hiding in the field another hundred yards up the road waiting for us. "Terrance!" I yelled out. "Stop, I think my front axle broke!" As we stopped, Milla looked at me funny. "Several people are waiting up ahead." I whispered as I hoped down. Terrance and Hank jogged back and looked at me funny when they saw the axle was obviously fine. "Hank can you hand me the rope under Milla so I can fix this?" I asked as I crawled under the axle. As he handed it to me, "I don't know how, but I know there are," I closed my eyes and concentrated a moment on the road ahead, "Nine people are hiding in the field just up the road. I can feel their intentions like a sour scent on the breeze." I told them as I wrapped the axle in rope, pretending to fix it.

Terrance continued, "Drive around to lead then Shaun, we will see what happens." We then mounted back up and I passed the carriage. I smiled and winked at Shalyndria as we passed. Using the attached single point sling, I had slung my M4 on my body when I got back in the wagon. When we got close, three large men in dented armor stepped onto the road as three others stood on each side, effectively boxing my wagon with the carriage.

"All right ya pussies, give us the princess!" Shouted the largest of them.

"Why?" I asked with a confused look on my face. "She is supposed to be in Verilant City later today."

"We were paid to kill her before she got there!" he yelled as I laughed at his stupidity. "Kill them," is all he got out before I raised my rifle and fired. Two rounds pounded into his chest, spraying blood out behind. Terrance and Hank jumped down from their seats behind me when they heard the crack of my rounds and each attacked a group, Terrance going left and Hank going right.

The other two in front fell with their brains leaking out the large holes in the back of their heads. I looked around, Milla was standing watching the two guards for injury. I turned and saw Bob guarding the door to the carriage. I nodded to him and saw Hank struggling. So, I unhooked my rifle, hopped down and ran to help him.

"On your left!" I called as pulled up and stopped next to Hank and started to dodge the strikes of one of his assailants. His battle axe was slow and heavy. When he pulled it over his head to strike, I moved in for my kill. As I ran, I had pulled my 4" folder from my pocket and opened it, keeping it hidden in a reverse grip against my forearm. As I slipped under the rising axe, I struck at the first of the six major blade targets. I slashed the insides of his thighs severing the femoral arteries. Rising as he screamed, I stabbed through his leather chest piece just under the breastbone puncturing the bottom of the aorta. I then slashed through his upper arms, severing the biceps and brachial artery. With the light leaving his eyes, I finished by stabbing the blade up through his chin into the brain at the back of his head and twisted. Hearing the pop of his spine separating from his brain, I yanked the blade from his head and wiped it on his pants before returning it to my pocket.

When I turned to check, I saw Hank's opponent dead and him staring at me, a shocked look on his face. "How did you do that? You were faster than I am when using enhancement magic." Was all he could say.

"Maybe I did it on instinct?" Was all I could say. We then looked over to where Terrance was finishing up with his last opponent. We walked over as the asshole's head fell to the ground with thud. When we got to the road, I stopped and looked at the three I had killed.

"Milla, heal the leader enough so he survives. He's dying but hasn't passed yet." I called as Terrance walked over wiping his sword clean.

"Why? Death is the only sentence we can and will get." He questioned as he stopped Milla.

"While I agree, we should at least find out why, and if we are walking into a lion's den when we get to Verilant City." Was my response. "Part of my job before joining SWAT, was to investigate crimes and criminals. I apologize for overstepping my bounds, I just would like to know as much as possible before we move on." I finished my apology with a shallow bow of respect.

"I respect your instincts and accept the apology. Milla, go ahead." Was his response. "I needed to make sure why you wanted him healed before it happened. But he WILL die when we are done."

"I understand and agree. I never meant for him to survive anyway." I nodded, then we walked over just as the asshole started to stir.

"I fixed the holes in his lung and heart. He will live while you all need him to. I'll check on the princess." She said as she walked away not wanting to watch what we were about to do.


Chapter 5

Hank rolled the bandit onto his stomach as I pulled the handcuffs from my duty belt. After cuffing his hands, we rolled him back over just as he started to stir. He glared at us from his back once he fully awoke and started to strain against the cuffs. "Hello again, do you feel like answering my questions now?" I asked as he fought the steel on his wrists.

"Fuck you ya pansy ass! Go ahead and kill me. I'll never tell you about them." He shouted back.

"Well now," I laughed. "Now that we know that it is a them and not a he or she, we're getting somewhere already." I placed the toe of my boot on his balls and lightly pressed down to start. "So how many are they? Where did you meet?"

"Fuck off. Have your wolf boy-toy fuck your ass again." He cried as I increased the pressure on his balls. Hank jumped forward and racked his claws down the assassin's face. He screamed like a six-year-old girl.

"I don't think he liked that buddy." I remarked to out prisoner. "Now tell me what you know before I make you a eunuch."

"The fuck you will you candy ass. The Baron will," before he could finish, an arrow appeared in his left temple. Killing him instantly. I tried to sense whomever it was like I had before, but I got nothing.

"I can't feel anyone. I didn't even know they were there." I told the others dejectedly. "If you guys gather the bodies, I'll go get pointers from Shalyndria on fire magic so she can stay in the carriage."

"Go ahead, I'd rather not put her in danger right now," agreed Terrance.

I nodded to Bob as I knocked on the door. "The bandits are all dead, go help the others. I'll be here if anything happens." He agreed and walked off as Milla opened the door. "I need some pointers from Shalyndria on fire magic. We think its safer if I burn the bodies because someone killed the leader with an arrow before we finished."

"What do you mean Shaun?" Shalyndria asked. "Just before he died, he mentioned the Baron. As soon as Baron left his mouth, the arrow entered his brain. Please, we think it would be best if you stayed here until we reach your manor in the city."

"Ok. Hold out your hand. Now picture the flame of a candle hovering over your palm." I followed her commands. All three of us were shocked when the flame appeared. "I shouldn't be surprised." The princess commented. "Now picture it growing and shrinking according to your will." As I did what she asked, I had a thought. I pictured the blue heat of an oxy-acetylene welding torch. The fire immediately turned bright blue and we all felt the greatly increased heat.

"Ok, thank you princess. I'm going to go burn the corpses and we will get going. We won't be stopping till we get To Verilant this time." I informed her highness.

"I understand. Tell Terrance, have the gate guards tell Lieutenant Lontra I need her to come to the manor as soon as possible as well." We her orders.

I shut the door and headed over to the bodies. "Terrance, Shalyndria says to have the guards summon a Lieutenant Lontra to the manor at the city gates." He acknowledged the order as I extended my hand towards the pile of bodies. All three guards were shocked the heat coming from the bright blue column of flames I conjured. I kept the flames going for a couple of minutes. All that was left was a black circle of dirt when I was done.

We went back to the transports in a somber mood and were soon back on our way. Hank chose to ride with me this time. We talked about our lives, I told him stories about my time as a patrol officer. He finally asked the question that had been bothering him. "What are you and what are your intentions?" were all he asked.

"Shalyndria calls me an Outlander. I come from a world of only humans called Earth. We have no magic there but everything is created and run by science. What do mean my intentions?" was my answer so far. I didn't blame him for his questions. I had been dropped almost literally in his lap yesterday.

"We see the way you and the princess look at each other. Terrance and I have been worried. We also want to know what you intend to do once we reach the city." He wondered.

"Shalyndria and I talked about us already. I'm going to earn my way to her side hoping she will have me when I do. And I have zero idea what I'm going to do in the city. I am a fish completely out of water here." I admitted to my new friend. With a self-depreciating laugh, "I don't even know where to begin."

"Well, the five of us talked last night after you passed out," Hank started. I noticed the large gate in the wall about a mile in front of us. "It was decided to offer you a position with us guarding the princess. Depending on the answers I got of course. The answers are about what we expected, so will you take the offer?"

"I accept. You guys are all I know; y'all are family to me now." Was my response. "Good answer, Terrance, Milla, and definitely Shalyndria will be happy. We will talk more once we get in." Hank patted me on the back as we looked at the wagons and carriages we passed. Once we stopped at the open gate, Terrance stood, "All Hail Shalyndria! Fourth princess of the Islenase Empire!" he announced to all before hopping down and talking with a guard. Milla jumped out, whispered something to him, then ran off into the city. Hank turned smiling, "Welcome to our new home Shaun."