Pathways Ch. 07-08

Story Info
A surprising discovery leads to a big disappointment.
7.7k words
4.67
14.3k
5

Part 4 of the 7 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 09/01/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
coaster2
coaster2
2,590 Followers

Chapter 7 The Last Thing I Expected

I was putting in long hours at the Guelph operation, as well as flying to Moncton every two weeks to make sure they were staying on schedule. Liz was doing well and all I could do was say "thanks" as she continued to show she could do the job. I wondered if she wasn't the answer for a manager. She certainly knew what was going on in the Moncton operation. I also sensed that the staff was with her. She was making my job easier because I didn't have to worry about her dropping the ball.

Dave had gone back to Vancouver, while Clary was working with him in the Vancouver operation to get them converted to the new system. I talked to Clary quite often on the phone, but fortunately, I didn't need him here to guide me. He could usually talk me through any problems. I really was on my own in Guelph. Luckily, I had a number of people at the horse barn and cottage that I could communicate with, so I wasn't wanting for company.

It was hot that August. The temperature was often in the low nineties, accompanied by high humidity. It was hard enough on people, but harder still on the horses. Malcolm, the stable manager, was regularly hosing the big animals down to keep them cool. He wouldn't let anyone ride them in that kind of weather.

It was a Saturday morning, and once again, the forecast was for a hot, humid day. The cottage was air conditioned, but the barn was not. Malcolm kept the sun-side doors closed during the day, but the shade side open for ventilation. We made sure the water supply in the stalls was kept up. I was walking down to the barn from the cottage, watching a young woman hose down a beautiful chestnut mare that I thought was the nicest looking horse in the stable.

The woman had her back to me, but looked quite attractive from that angle. Her long, blonde hair was in a ponytail, and her pale blue cotton shirt and tight jeans gave me some clue as to just how attractive she might be. As I approached, she turned her horse and was hidden behind it. She was about finished with her task and was walking out from behind the animal. It was then that I got a good look at her.

I felt my intake of breath. I was frozen in place. I couldn't believe my eyes.

"Bernie?"

She looked up, the surprise showing immediately as she recognized me, then the smile.

"Ian? Is it really you?"

I was nodding but not saying anything. I walked slowly toward her. She had dropped the halter and let the animal wander a few feet away as we approached each other. I don't know what I might have done, but Bernie took matters into her own hands ... or arms I should say. She wrapped them around me, gave me a big hug, then kissed me.

It wasn't the greeting I might have expected, but I was happy as hell with it. We held each other without saying anything. I didn't know where to begin, and I suppose she didn't either. It had been over four years since I last saw her, and longer still since we had been close friends.

"What are you doing here?" she asked with a bewildered stare.

"I live here for now," I said, pointing at the cottage. "I'm renting it while I'm working on a project for my boss."

"We've got so much to catch up on, Ian. Have you got some time? I want to know all about you and what you've been doing these past years. I have so many questions," she said excitedly.

"I've got a few myself," I admitted. "Yeah ... I've got some time ... especially for you. I've missed you, Bernie."

"I've missed you too, Ian. You were my best friend. I hope you still are."

"That is never going to change. I'll always be your best friend," I said with a big smile. "Come on, let's go to the cottage and we can talk."

"Let me put Calliope back in her stall." She picked up the halter from the grazing horse and let her back into the barn. A minute later she was by my side.

She took my hand as we walked up to the cottage. We didn't say much because there was too much to say to try and get it all out at one time would be hopeless. I had some iced tea in the refrigerator and poured two glasses. We sat beside each other on the little sofa in the living area. It was like the years had been rolled back and we were together again. Except everything was different. She was older, even more beautiful than I remembered, and from the look of her, prosperous.

After a couple of false starts, I gave her a condensed version of what I had been doing since we had moved from Toronto. I was now a college graduate, working for a man who had given me my first and only summer job. I was really happy with my job and the potential it held. I told her about the project and what we were trying to accomplish.

"I'm happy for you, Ian. You look so handsome. You smile so easily. Do you have a girlfriend?"

"Nope. No time recently. I've had a couple, but nothing that was likely to be permanent. How about you?"

She shook her head sadly. "I was married briefly," she said quietly. "It was a mistake. We were too young and too immature. He was a nice guy, but not very stable. We split up a year ago. No children and nothing to share except some memories. At best I can say I learned something important. When I marry, I'm going to make sure it is for the right reasons."

"I'm sorry to hear that. That must be very hard to live with. I'm sure you'll do better next time."

She looked at me intently before nodding once. I couldn't interpret her expression, but it seemed she would be much more careful choosing her next husband.

"How are your parents?" she asked after a quiet period.

"Fine. They live in a nice house on the side of the mountain in West Vancouver. Dad likes his job. He's joined a golf club, which makes Mom really happy. They've met a lot of new friends there. Mom's got a part time job in an art store. Kenny has just finished his first year at UBC. He's changing. I didn't think he was college material, but he proved me wrong."

"That's great. My parents are fine, too. Dad's even talking about retiring early. I don't know what he'd do if he did, though. I don't think Mom wants him hanging around the house all day," she grinned.

"What about you?" I asked. "Are you working?"

"Yes. I'm training to be a physiotherapist. I work at the general hospital in Guelph. Right now, I'm helping handicapped kids. I really like the job and they seem to think I'm good at it."

"Well, you'll be the best looking physiotherapist in the country," I assured her. "Are you still living at home?"

"No," she said, shaking her head. "It's too far to commute. I share a small apartment with another girl. She's a nurse at the hospital. She has weird hours, so we don't see much of each other. I'd like a place of my own, but it's too expensive right now. I'm just getting started on my career. I'd kill for a nice place like this."

"I was very lucky to find it," I admitted. "The owners were looking for a married couple to keep an eye on the stable and house while they were away on their trips. I seemed to hit it off with Mr. Fleming and he convinced his wife to let me rent it. It's been better than anything I could have hoped for."

"No kidding. Living room, kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom. All the basics," she smiled.

"So what brings you out here? Do you have a horse?" I asked.

"No ... I wish. One of my girlfriends from college owns the horse I was washing. She lets me ride her if she's not around. I don't think Calliope gets much exercise, so I come out here fairly often. It's too hot today, but she likes me to visit. If I were going to have a horse, I'd have one just like her."

"I'll bet you look great on a horse," I said.

"I think you'd look good too, Ian. I know I can get you a mount when the weather cools down. We should go out together for a ride."

"I'd like that, but I've never ridden before," I admitted.

"Neither had I until my friend gave me a couple of lessons. I'm sure I can show you enough to get started."

"In that case, let's do it. It would be a nice break from mucking stalls or filling water troughs," I laughed.

"I didn't realize you worked here?" she said in surprise.

"I don't. I help Malcolm out just for something to do. Not all the boarders are keen to muck the stalls, so I pull on my rubber boots and go to work."

"Oh, so you're the guy Malcolm talks about," she smiled. "He's a nice man. His wife is handicapped, you know."

"I did know. He mentioned it once. He is a nice man. We get along really well."

"The horses are really pampered with you two looking after them," she smiled again.

"I haven't been here in the winter, but I hear it's more demanding than this time of year."

"Oh yes," she agreed. "We let the horses out to get some exercise. We have some electric water heaters to make sure the troughs don't freeze over. In the spring time with the thaw, it gets pretty muddy, so trying to keep them clean is a real problem."

We were silent for a few moments until I worked up the necessary courage.

"Bernice, would you like to have dinner with me some night?"

"You mean, like a date?" she asked with a soft smile.

"Yeah ... a date," I admitted, holding my breath.

"I'd love to, Ian. How about next weekend?"

"Perfect. You know this area better than I do. Can you suggest somewhere nice we can go?"

"Sure," she said immediately. "There's a little town not far from here called Elora. I know of a very nice restaurant there. Why don't I make a reservation for Saturday at seven o'clock? Would that be okay?"

"That would be great. It's really good to see you again, Bernie ... I mean, Bernice," I stumbled.

"Ian, I've always been Bernie to you and I always will be," she said fondly before leaning over to me and kissing me.

It was a very nice, soft kiss on the lips, but it meant everything to me.

"Finding you again is really something," I said awkwardly. "I didn't expect to ever see you again. Now, here you are."

She leaned in and kissed me once more. It almost made me dizzy. "It's me, Ian. Bernie. I'm as surprised as you are, but it's all good. I have a feeling we might be seeing a lot of each other."

"That would make me a very happy guy, Bernie. Very happy."

That prompted another brief kiss before she rose and we walked back to the barn. I didn't know what to say to her other than what I had already said. She had always been in my thoughts since we lost regular contact with each other. I had never forgotten her and she said she had never forgotten me. I found that hard to believe, but I wanted it to be true, so I accepted it.

She was driving a Jeep Wrangler that looked like it had seen better days. It wasn't rusty as I expected, but it showed a number of scratches and dents and it hadn't been washed in some time. It was the model that had the fabric side curtains and they were off and the top was down, as you would expect in the hot weather.

"This yours?" I asked.

"Yes. Not much to look at, but it is reliable and cheap on gas. It needs a better heater in winter though."

"I'll bet," I agreed. "You know, Bernie, today was the first time you and I have ever kissed ... I mean together."

She smiled broadly. "I know what you meant. It wasn't accidental, Ian. I've found my old best friend from years ago and I want him to remember me."

"There sure as hell is no chance that I wouldn't," I snorted. "I'm already counting the hours until next Saturday."

"Good," she smiled once more, wiggling her eyebrows. "I'll meet you here at six-thirty and I can show you the way to Elora."

"Okay. See you then," I said, watching her as she turned around and drove down the long driveway to the road. I stood watching her until the Jeep disappeared out of sight. It seemed impossible that after almost five years, she would suddenly appear out of nowhere. We were miles away from where we used to live. It must have been fate that drew the two of us to this place at this time.

The week seemed to pass interminably. I had Bernie on my mind and was only paying minimal attention to the project at hand. With Clary back in Vancouver, I was on my own for a while. Bernie and I had separated in grade ten when we were sixteen, almost eight years ago. Sure, we saw each other over the next three years, but the days of being close and talking every day and sharing secrets ended. She had grown up faster than I had. It was as simple as that. I hated it. I hated every minute of being small and skinny and seeing the damned zits on my face in the mirror. By the time I had caught up, it was too late. I was in Vancouver and she was still here. But now, maybe I had a chance.

Everything she did that day indicated she was both happy to see me and interested in our getting together. What had happened between her finishing high school and now? The marriage, of course. That must have had a big effect on her. But something else had changed. Was I no longer just a buddy? Was I something else to her? The question was what? I know what I wanted. I wanted to be close to her again. Maybe there was a chance we could fall in love. I could show her that I wasn't some kid any more. Maybe I was just dreaming ... but ... a guy can dream, can't he?

"This is a really nice restaurant, Bernie. The atmosphere is perfect," I smiled.

"Perfect for what?" she grinned.

"Seeing you again has sparked all the old memories, you know. I was amazed as I watched you turn into a beautiful girl. I had a crush on you, but you grew up faster than me and I was sure I'd lost you. Then, when we moved to B.C., I tried to put you out of my mind. But every once in a while, I'd remember all the fun we had together. I know it was kid's stuff, but I never thought about any other girl but you. Now ... you're here and I am too. I was trying to figure out how that came about, but gave up. It's just one of those lucky things that happen once in a blue moon."

"I have something I want to show you," she said, reaching into her purse.

It was a photograph. She passed it to me. It took me a few seconds in the candlelight to see the image properly. It was me. I was with four of my high school classmates. We were standing outside in the sunshine and it must have been warm since we were wearing short sleeved shirts or t-shirts. I tried to remember when, but I didn't come to me. But there was no doubt it was me, Stu, Boner, Black Jack and Tony.

"That was just before you left to go to Vancouver," she said. "You didn't stick around for graduation. I found out later that your family was moving and you and Kenny were off to the west coast. I took that picture of you because I saw how much you had changed and I was thinking maybe we could get back together again. I was too late. Before I could talk to you, you were gone."

"Oh ... that's too bad," I said. "Maybe it would have been worse if you had told me and then I had to leave anyway. It wasn't like I could stay behind. I think that would have been worse."

"We could have written to each other," she said hopefully.

I nodded. "For sure. But I guess I thought you had forgotten about me. You were dating all those guys on the football and basketball teams. You were a cheerleader. Every guy wanted to date you."

"I guess," she said with a hint of regret. "But I never went steady with any of them. Most of them just wanted one thing."

I knew what she meant and didn't pursue that comment.

"Where did you go to college?" I asked, breaking an awkward silence.

"Humber College. I got a diploma as an Occupational and Physiotherapist Assistant. I also got a job placement. That's how I ended up in Guelph."

"That's great. Are you working toward becoming a physiotherapist?"

"Yes, but what I really enjoy is working with handicapped kids. Right now I spend a lot of time during the day with older people who have just had hip or knee replacements. I volunteered to help one of the therapists on a wheelchair basketball team and I got hooked. Those kids have so much fun despite their physical problems. We have an intramural game this week, but we're qualified for a big tournament in September. Why don't you come and watch the inter-squad game on Friday night?"

"I'd love to," I agreed immediately.

"It's being held at the university gym at eight o'clock. That's only fifteen minutes from your place. Less from your office."

"Great. Let's plan on it. I really admire your willingness to volunteer, Bernie. I think I'd like to do something like that someday when I'm settled. Right now, I don't know where I'm going to end up."

"When do you expect to finish your project?" she asked.

"Late September or October. I thought it was going to take much longer, but so far, everything has gone quite smoothly. The accounting package has been installed and is already working. The inventory is being done as we speak. The tie-in to sales and our vendors will be the last part. Then it's up to Bob Maxwell what happens next."

"What would you like to have happen?"

I looked at her, trying to gather my thoughts. "That depends. I know I won't be going back to my old job. Bob said he has plans for me, but he hasn't spelled them out yet. I think he's been waiting to see how I did on this job. I don't really see myself in Moncton. Liz Cormier, the woman who's in charge there, is ready and willing to take over that branch. I know Dave Jacobs, our comptroller, agrees with me. So that leaves here or Vancouver.

"If I had my druthers, I'd like to be here ... with you," I finally admitted. I was studying the dregs of my wine glass as I said it, almost afraid of Bernie's reaction.

"That would be nice, Ian."

She said it so quietly that I almost missed it. My head snapped up and I stared at her. The smile on her face told me that I'd heard her correctly.

"Really?" I said in surprise.

"Really," she confirmed, holding that lovely smile. "We're different people today than we were back then, but some things haven't changed. I always liked you, Ian. You were always a nice guy. Someone I could rely on. I know we didn't see much of each other those last three years in school, but when you left, I felt like I had lost someone I should have hung on to. I know that sounds strange considering how I acted, but I wasn't very mature ... emotionally. I really needed a good friend I could count on. That's how I made another big mistake. I had a lot of growing up to do. I wish I had it to do all over again."

"We can't go back, Bernie. What's done is done. I don't have any regrets considering somehow we are here tonight. I tried to figure out just how we ended up together again. I don't know what to call it, but I am very thankful."

"I don't know how this happened either, but I'm happy it did," she said, placing her hand over mine. "Why don't we take it a day at a time?"

"Yeah. Why don't we?" I smiled.

Chapter 7A

Bernie:

Seeing Ian again was a real rush. He was the last person I ever expected to see again. I had this strange feeling wash over me when he appeared out of nowhere at the Fleming barn. It was exciting to have him near again. I was having a terrible time controlling my emotions. I know that was what got me in trouble before, but Ian was someone I knew and trusted. This was different.

When he asked me for a date, I couldn't wait to say yes. Sitting in the lovely little cottage with him reminded me of the days we spent together when we were younger. He didn't try to hide his feelings toward me. I was so caught up in the surprise and happiness as reuniting with my old friend that I didn't think twice about being with him. I was excited that he wanted to be with me and felt a rush of adrenalin that I hadn't felt in over a year.

Chapter 8 Decision Time

We stood on the bridge over the Elora Gorge as the dusk slowly turned to night. Neither of us was in any hurry to end the evening. A lot was unspoken, but I could feel the excitement growing in me as we talked about the future. If there was a way for us to be together, I wanted to make it happen. It meant I would be staying here in Ontario. I would have to let Bob know my feelings and see what that meant for my future in the company. But I knew what I wanted and I was sure of it.

coaster2
coaster2
2,590 Followers