Quartet: Julie Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

They continued their friendly conversation for the next few minutes. Robbie could sense that she was completely comfortable with him and that perhaps she might be attracted to him. He would take nothing for granted. He tried to imagine what it would be like to hold her in his arms as they danced; pressed closely together. He would have to find a place for them to dance; it was his next priority.

-0-

Just before Christmas, Robbie came into the restaurant with a wrapped package in his hands. It looked like it might be a picture wrapped in brown paper. Robbie placed it carefully on the counter in front of him and waited for Julie to come to him.

"Hi" she said quietly. "What's that ... or maybe it's none of my business." she smiled.

"Oh, it's something I've wanted for a couple of years now." he said cryptically. And with that he began to unwrap the package. It was the framed certificate of his graduation from B.C.I.T.

"Oh Robbie, you must be so proud." she exclaimed. She held it in her hands and leaned over and kissed him lightly on the lips. "Congratulations!"

Robbie was caught completely unawares. They had never kissed before and it was so soft and so perfect, he didn't know how to respond. "Thanks, Julie." he finally stammered.

"So, does that mean you're going to stop coming in here during the week?" she asked coyly.

It was a question that Robbie hadn't anticipated. For all his planning and effort at reaching his goals, he had completely forgotten his week night routine; pie, ice cream and tea.

"No ... No ... of course not. I'll be here!" he said forcefully.

"I'm glad. I'd miss you if you weren't here at nine." she smiled.

"Ah ... good ... I mean ... ah ... I'd miss you too." he stammered awkwardly. His head was spinning. First the kiss and then her hope that he would still come in even if he wasn't in classes. It was the first time he had a signal from her that he was someone important to her.

-0-

In the matter of human relations, men and women usually connect at different times and different places. Of course there is a case for 'love at first sight', but on the whole, that is the exception to the rule. In the matter of Julia Payton and Roberto Delgado, no such concurrence took place. Robbie was smitten with Julie almost from the moment he met her. His continuing patient pursuit of her only added to her allure. For Julie, however, her acknowledgment of his existence and recognition of his unflagging interest in her was only a first step. It took several weeks before she realized she had become dependent upon his arrival each day. After their concert date, Robbie had been coming in on Saturday evenings as well and escorting her home. Julie now felt safe in his presence and was gradually recognizing his importance to her. They had kissed again after they had gone for a walk along the seawall in Stanley Park and it seemed each kiss thereafter lingered slightly longer and with slightly more intensity.

Robbie had sensed that Julie had some inner forces holding her back from releasing herself to anyone; much less him. He decided not to confront her about his suspicions until after Valentine's Day. He had something special planned for her that day and he would do nothing to spoil it. He had thought about that upcoming special day for several weeks, as soon as he realized it would be on a Sunday; one of Julie's days off. He wanted to do something special for her; more intimate or personal than just dinner or flowers. He knew it would have to be the right balance; not too suggestive or personal or it might spoil the whole day. He finally decided on a day at the Spa. Massage, tanning, whirlpool; all just for her. He would drive her to and bring her back from her day of relaxation and pampering.

Robbie had been hired by Tom Blanton to work under his brother Vinnie on one of the crews. He was delighted that he was working for the best of the best. In a matter of six weeks, he had become fully trained in his responsibilities and had made some suggestions to Vinnie on how they might be more efficient. He had noticed that Vinnie's crew would often be short of work because supplies had not arrived when needed. Without trying to upstage Vinnie, Robbie suggested he take the materials planning problem on himself and relieve Vinnie of that burden. At first Vinnie was reluctant and viewed Robbie as an upstart. On reconsideration he recognized that it would mean less work and someone else to blame if materials were late. He agreed to let Robbie handle the responsibility. Within two weeks, late deliveries were almost a thing of the past. Vinnie patted himself on the back for being so far sighted. While Robbie's salary wasn't huge, it was enough for a down payment on a used Mazda pick-up. . He could see a real opportunity with T. Blanton and knew that once past his probationary period, he would receive a substantial increase in pay. He was halfway through that period now and did not expect to fail.

Robbie's new job also gave him some spending money which he could carefully use to woo Julie. He hadn't been with a woman for some months; in fact several weeks before he had begun his final semester at B.C.I.T. But in typical fashion, he had seen the woman he wanted to be with and he was prepared to wait until ... until ...? When Julie learned of Robbie's plan for Valentine's Day, she was shocked and surprised. Her first instinct was to refuse the gift; it was far too expensive and besides, it was very personal. When she got over the initial shock and saw the look on Robbie's face, she graciously accepted and thanked him with a kiss and a hug. She knew it was a special gift from him and she surprised herself at how much she looked forward to it.

When Robbie picked her up at her home, he gave her a card and a single red rose.

"Thank you, that's lovely." she smiled. "I'm excited about today. I don't know what to expect."

"Just relax and enjoy yourself. It's your special day and I want you to have fun. I want to hear all about it when I come and get you this afternoon."

"I wish you were coming too." she said sincerely.

"I don't think that would go over too well with the other ladies." he laughed. "This is a women's only affair."

When they arrived at the Spa, Julie took her rose, card and the small sport bag she had brought from home, kissed Robbie on the cheek and opened the door.

"See you at four thirty."

"I'll be here waiting for you." he said with a smile.

Later that afternoon as she relaxed in the whirlpool, Julie began to think seriously about her relationship with Robbie. He had sort of sneaked up on her; a stealth courtship she thought smiling to herself. He had grown on her and she was surprisingly dependent on his being there each day. He was obviously very interested in her and it finally occurred to her that he was enormously patient with her. She thought about how long they had known each other and yet they had barely touched each other with the exception of some brief kisses and the occasional hug. Was he afraid of her or that she might reject him? It didn't seem like it; he was almost always upbeat and optimistic. When she was down, he could pick her up in a minute and make her feel better. She tried to analyze her feelings and kept running into a wall. She had no intention of dating any other men. He was the only guy she had been interested in since she had come back home. She wished her Aunt Eleanor were here. She could help her understand what was happening.

Just after four thirty, Julie emerged from the Spa and found Robbie waiting for her in the front breezeway.

"Hi, how was your day?"

"Oh Robbie, it was wonderful. I was so pampered and looked after. It was a fabulous gift from you. Thank you very much." she gushed, wrapping her arm around his waist and walking with him to his truck.

"Terrific. I'm glad you enjoyed it. You'll have to tell me all about it."

"It's the first time I've actually had some time to think ... about us I mean." she said carefully.

Robbie turned and looked at her. He took his hand off the ignition and cautiously asked: "What about us?"

"I've been very careful not to get involved with ... anyone ... at least since I came back to town." she began. "I ... I have feelings for you Robbie. You've become important to me and I don't know what that means. I mean ... I don't understand my feelings and I'm a bit afraid of them."

"What are you afraid of Julie?"

"I'm afraid ... I'm afraid of ... falling in love." Julie looked at Robbie with a wide eyed deer-in-the-headlights expression.

"Does that mean that you're ... that you think you're falling in love with me?" he asked hopefully. "Is that what you're afraid of?"

"Yes, I suppose so." she said quietly, looking at her hands in her lap. "I've never been in love before. I don't know what it's like; I don't know what to think. I'm a bit scared." she confessed.

"I've never been in love before either, Julie. But I know I'm in love with you." he said softly, looking at her.

She looked at him and smiled shyly. "I know, Robbie. I've known for a while now."

"Julie, what are you really afraid of. It must be something more important than me. It must be something bigger. I've sensed it for a while now."

Julie sat for a few moments, saying nothing, looking out the windshield of the truck, her mind swirling in conflict and indecision. What to do? What to say?

"Alright, Robbie. You've got a right to know." she said sadly as she slumped against the door.

It took Julie almost a half hour to tell Robbie her story. She spoke in a toneless voice; almost without emotion. She described the party, the people she was with, the rape; what she could remember of it, the aftermath and the recovery in the hospital. She told him of her visits to the psychiatrist, the group therapy and her move to Toronto. She told him of her Aunt Eleanor and finally of her return to her home. She left nothing out; all the ugliness and terror and horror and depression in the aftermath. When she finished, she realized Robbie had not said a word and had sat there looking at her as she spoke. No interruptions, no comments, no shocked intake of breath ... nothing. After a minute, he sighed and leaned over to her and took her hands in his.

"I'm so sorry Julie. I had no idea. I can't imagine what it must have been like. I'm so sorry."

"Thank you Robbie. I needed to tell you. You needed to know. I'm very afraid ... I don't know if I can ... be with someone ... that way I mean."

"I understand Julie. I really do. I'll wait for you. I love you and I'll wait for you." he said quietly.

-0-

He was as good as his word. He did wait and yet never left her alone. He was there but never insistent. And then, one rainy early April morning, everything changed. Julie usually spent Monday mornings doing her housework and the weekly shopping. On Sunday, however, she had felt particularly ambitious waiting for Robbie to pick her up for their regular weekend outing. It had been raining off and on and instead of just roaming around her parent's house, she did her Monday chores, including the washing and vacuuming. That freed up Monday morning and she decided to head to the mall for some serious window shopping. She had spent at least an hour wandering through the near empty shops and was drifting toward the food court when a man's voice announced his presence behind her.

"Well look who's here. Julie Payton!" the voice said in a sneering tone.

Julie turned and looked at the man who had come up behind her. The man she faced was tall and gaunt with a scruffy, unshaven face and unruly long hair. Her eyes went wide and she gasped in horror as she recognized him.

"Mike ... No! No! Get away from me!" She was screaming at him as he stood before her with a menacing look on his face. "Help! ... Help!" she screamed again.

Mike Tulkman stood in front of her, saying nothing but with a look of hatred on his face. "Go ahead, scream all you want. I haven't done anything wrong. It's a free country. What's the matter Julie? Bring back fond memories?" The contempt in his voice was unmistakable.

A uniformed security guard trotted over to her. "What's wrong miss?"

"This man ... get him away from me. He raped me. He went to jail. I want him to go away." She was frantic with fear and was backing away from the evil specter from her past.

The guard turned to Tulkman. "She says you're bothering her. Do you have business in the mall?" he asked in his most authoritative voice.

"Run along, sonny!" was the immediate, dismissive retort. Tulkman began to walk toward the retreating Julie. She began to scream again, hoping someone; anyone would come to her aid.

The unarmed security guard tried to intervene and was felled by a single blow from the larger young man. As he lay on the floor, the guard pulled his walkie-talkie from his belt and called for help. In a minute a second and then a third security guard appeared. In the meantime Michael Tulkman had ceased his advance and was standing in front of a frozen Julie Payton.

"You caused me a lot of pain, Julie." His voice was low and clearly angry.

"You raped me ... you put me in hospital ... you used me ..." she stuttered in reply.

"You wanted it ... you know you did ... that dress ... that yellow dress ... you were begging for it." he continued, his eyes fixed on hers.

"Never ...I never ...wanted to have anything ... happen. You raped me!" she began again more forcefully. "You were on drugs and you helped other people rape me. You bastard!" she spat.

"You got what you wanted ... admit it!" he growled.

"The only thing I got that I wanted was seeing you and Arnie in jail!" Her voice had grown in volume and now as she looked around her she saw a growing group of people watching the confrontation. "You got what was coming to you, Mike. You got what you deserved!" she yelled.

Mike Tulkman tried to lunge at her but was quickly restrained by a strong hand on his arm. He swerved around to try and swing at whoever was holding him back and found himself looking straight into the face of a uniformed R.C.M.P. constable. "That will enough out of you, young man." the female constable snapped. "Let's you and I have a talk over here." she said forcefully as she led him over to an open area.

In a few seconds, a second male R.C.M.P. constable arrived and after stopping to check with his partner, walked toward Julie.

"Are you alright, miss?"

"Yes, a bit shaken I guess." she said haltingly.

"Do you know this man?"

"Yes. His name is Mike Tulkman and he raped me and he went to jail and now he's out and he came after me when he saw me ... and ...." She began to break down. She had faced down her tormentor and now felt she might be safe again but she was shaking and looking around for a friendly face somewhere in the crowd.

"Calm down, miss. What's your name?" the constable asked quietly.

"Julie ... Julia Payton." she responded.

"Did you say this man raped you?"

"Yes, almost three years ago, at my grad party ... I mean ... afterwards ... at a house party." she stammered.

"Was he arrested?"

"Yes, he and his friend and two other guys. He put something in my drink and they raped me. They all went to jail." She was beginning to hyperventilate again.

"OK, calm down Miss Payton. We'll look after him." he said reassuringly. "Do you want to swear out a complaint?" he asked.

"Yes ...I don't know ... what will happen?"

"Well, if he's out on parole or on probation, he could be in serious trouble. Maybe back in jail." The constable was watching her carefully.

"I'm scared. I'm scared he'll come after me again. He thinks it's my fault he went to jail. He thinks I wanted him to rape me." She looked at the constable searchingly; hoping for reassurance.

"OK, I think you would be wise to file a complaint against him. At the least we should be able to get a restraining order to keep him away from you. I'm going to talk to my partner for a moment and then she'll stay with you to get your statement. OK?"

"Yes ... thanks."

Julie sat down in one of the food court table seats and waited for the other R.C.M.P. constable to come over. She was talking to her male partner and gesturing at both Julie and Mike. Finally she walked over to Julie.

"Julie, you probably don't remember me; I'm Corporal Janet Mayne. I interviewed you when you were raped by Mike and his friends. Do you remember our talk?"

"A little bit. I was pretty sleepy when we were talking."

"Yes, well here's what I want you to do. I want to take you to my office and we'll fill out a formal complaint against Mike and that will take care of him bothering you again. Is that OK?"

"Yes ... do you think it will stop him from coming after me?" she asked.

"I think so. I'm sure he doesn't want to go back to jail and that's what he's looking at if he doesn't behave. Why don't I take you out to the car and I'll give you a ride to the office and then bring you back here or take you home. My partner will look after Mike."

It took over an hour to swear out the formal complaint and finish the paperwork. Julie had calmed down and was feeling much more secure and less threatened than she had. She was grateful that Janet Mayne knew her and she didn't have to answer a lot of questions about the rape. When they had finished, Corporal Mayne drove her home and made sure she got inside safely before driving off. As she had almost three years earlier, she gave Julie her card and told her to call if anyone bothered her or threatened her.

Julie walked into her house and slumped down on the living room sofa. She was exhausted from the confrontation and from the tension. She tried to collect her thoughts. The house was empty because her parents were in Arizona on vacation and wouldn't be home for another week. Also, it was Monday, the day she and Robbie went to dance lessons at the community centre. They had begun in March and tonight would be their sixth lesson and normally she would look forward to the session with great pleasure. Right now, it was the last thing on her mind. She looked at her wristwatch; it was three o'clock. She put her head back on the wide, soft arm of the sofa and within a few minutes was fast asleep.

The sound of the door bell woke her. She was groggy and for a moment she was disoriented before realizing there was someone at the door. She got up and looked out the side panel glass to see who was there. It was Robbie. She quickly opened the door.

"Oh Robbie!" she cried. "I'm so glad you're here." She threw her arms around him and held him tightly.

"Julie, what's the matter?" He could feel her sobs through her body and gradually pushed her away. "What's wrong Julie?"

"The man who raped me ... he saw me in the mall ... he came after me ... I was scared, Robbie."

Julie managed to get the whole story out over the next few minutes and Robbie listened, holding her hands and hugging her occasionally when she was overcome with emotion. He was relieved at the outcome and made a mental note to personally thank Corporal Mayne for her kindness. Julie had calmed down and was lying quietly in Robbie's arms.

"Have you had anything to eat, Julie?" Robbie finally asked.

"Not since breakfast."

"Why don't I look after supper? We'll just stay in tonight." he offered.

Julie looked at her watch and realized it was after six. "What about our dance lesson?" she asked.

"I think they can do without us for one night. I think you've had enough excitement for one day, don't you?"

"Yah. Besides, I like where I am right now. Why don't we stay just like this?" she smiled, looking up at him.

"Sure. But sooner or later you have to eat." he said quietly.

"Robbie ... I ... I'm ... I don't want to be alone. Will you stay with me tonight?"