Redwood Nine: Season 03 Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He pulled back the bolt and readied a round in the chamber and focused through the scope, zeroing the cross hairs on him. He took a deep breath and let part of it out and relaxed. He flipped the safety off and waited for the man to take up his position. He saw him remove the rifle and ready it for action. Before he raised it to his head to look through the scope, Otto squeezed the trigger gently and the M40 blast shattered the silence around him.

He continued to look through the scope and saw the man get hit and then fall over a hundred feet to the ground. The crew came racing out with guns drawn and looked about for the source of danger, then heard Otto above them.

"Over on the tower, sniper was taking up a position to pick us off. He's out."

They looked where Otto was pointing and noticed the clear angle from the tower to the clubhouse. They were sitting ducks the moment they walked out.

"You sure you got him, Otto?"

"JT, even if I didn't, the fucker fell over a hundred feet, so the fall would kill him, if I didn't."

"Good work, Otto. Fucking knew you were the right guy to put up there. Better stay up there and make sure no one else is trying to get a shot at us."

Otto saluted and lay back down on the roof, scoping each tower and any high ground the enemy could fire from. JT and the rest of the guys went back inside and locked up again.

"I wonder if we should report this to the police, or wait for them to show up and say we don't know anything?"

"I say we let the cops find him and act innocent. No sense getting our asses put on the line. No one can accuse us of doing it and I doubt anyone knows where the shot came from."

"Good points, Lenny. Let's just sit tight then and wait to see what happens."

No sooner did JT finish talking, when the trap door on the roof slammed open and Otto was shouting down to them.

"We got cops coming. I can see the lights on the cars and they're headed this way."

"Thanks, Otto, stay up there and stay out of sight, we'll handle the cops at the gate and throw them off our trail."

JT went over to the office and made a call to the station to report hearing a gunshot and said he had no idea where it came from, or where it went. The dispatcher recorded the information and radioed to the approaching cruisers. In under five minutes, the front of the shop was blocked by cars with flashing lights and cops were looking to come in.

JT went up and talked to them, explaining that he had called and said they were inside, when they heard what sounded like a single gun shot, but they had no idea from where. The cops asked if they were okay, seeing the added protection around the compound and asked if the building was hit.

"No, not that we know of. Never heard anything inside, like a shot hitting the metal, we would have heard that."

"Can you open the gate and let us in, JT?"

"No reason to really. Nothing to see here and we're locked down tight, as you can see."

Officer Kevin Needham looked at JT and some of the others and could see they weren't going to get in, not without a lot of trouble doing so. He agreed to let them stay secure and said they'd check the surrounding area for any signs of anything.

"You know, if I had to make a guess at where the shot came from. It sounded like it came from back there, at least that's what it sounded like to us."

"Back where?"

"Behind us. Could be any where from the towers, to the building rooftops over there, I can't say, but it sounded like that."

"Okay, great. That at least gives us something to work with. You guys going to be alright in there on your own?"

"Oh yeah, no problems. The gates are well secured and blocked, the perimeter fence is secure. No way anyone can get in without us knowing about it. If they try, you'll be first on my list of people to call."

"Okay, JT. If we find anything, we'll let you know."

"Thanks, Officer Needham. It's good to have a heads up about shit like that."

"Understood. Take care in there and don't hesitate to call, even if you suspect something. Better a false alarm, than dead bodies."

"Will do. Good luck on your search, hope you find something."

The officers got back in their cars and drove around to the back of the compound, parking by the complex. Shortly, flashlights were on and the cops were scouring the area for any signs of where the shot was fired from. The guys went back in and chuckled at their ruse, hoping the cops did find the body and then wonder how he came to be dead.

Otto stuck his head down again and shouted in.

"They're headed to the tower, looks like they'll be finding a dead body. Want me to leave the rifle up here and come down?"

"Yeah, Otto. We'll be okay while the cops are around us. Come on down and relax."

Otto descended the service ladder after closing the trap door and went and relaxed with the guys. In ten minutes, the sound of horns going off at the gate, let them know the cops had discovered the body.

JT and Lenny went up alone, the rest staying inside.

"Hey guys, back so soon? Did you find anything?"

"Oh yes. We have a DB at the base of that tower over there. Found a sniper rifle close to the body. You wouldn't know anything about him, would you?"

"No, like I said, we were all inside when we heard it."

"He's got a hole the size of my fist in the back of his head. Someone took him out and used a high powered rifle to do it."

"Well, that definitely can't be us. We don't have any guns like that. If you want to verify that, call Unser and ask him. He's been all through this place and he's never seen one."

"I'll do that. I hope you're not lying to us, JT. We're here to help you guys and take care of this mess."

"Hey, we know and believe me, all of us appreciate the support your showing us."

"Okay, we'll be back if we find out you might be involved."

"Really? Like we aren't involved enough already?"

"You know what I mean, JT."

"Oh, I know what you mean, Kev."

There was nothing else to go on at the moment, so the officers went back and drove away from the shop. They could see the flashing lights behind the compound and knew the cops would be busy for quite a while there, doing their investigation and wait for the coroner to show up and bag the body. JT and Lenny went back inside and didn't lock up behind them, knowing the risk was almost nil to be attacked again.

"Otto, holy shit man, fucking great shot."

"Oh yeah?"

"Shit yeah. Cop said you put a bullet right through his head and took the back of it out." "No shit? I thought I hit him there, but he looked like he was just winged by it."

Everyone congratulated Otto on his marksmanship, letting him know how pleased they were he had retained the ability to still shoot as well as he did in the Army.

The two Cadillacs pulled into the parking lot down the road from the one they were told the bikers were in. Luigi got in the back seat of his and Alphonse got in the back of his. Dino and Marco began driving towards the destination, while the two in the back seats readied their weapons. The pair drove past the lot and saw the bikers still congregating and socializing among themselves.

The power windows were lowered and the barrels of the M60 machine guns were rested on the door, the trail of the ammo belts lying on the floor. The pair drove further down and did a U turn, making sure there weren't any civilians, or police in the area. As they slowly approached the lot, the bolts were pulled back and readied to fire, the men donning ear protection against the ear-splitting sound of the machine guns.

While the bikers openly drank beer in public, laughing and joking, they weren't aware of the two cars stopping across from them. The deafening roar of the machine guns got their attention immediately, but not before bodies began dropping in large numbers. In no more than thirty seconds of gunfire, the guns were pulled back in and the pair of Caddies pulled away and drove off. No one got a good look at them, as they disappeared around the corner and headed back to Charming.

The Disciples that were left, went to the aid of their brothers, but the damage from the large calibre rounds did their job well. Those that had body hits, were dead before they hit the ground, while others that were hit in the arms and legs, found it almost impossible to stop the bleeding and soon began dying as well. The carnage of the scene shocked passersby, as they observed the sight. Sirens were heard approaching and shortly, the scene was a brilliant display of flashing red lights.

The sound of horns blowing in two short bursts, had JT and a few others heading out to see who it was. The two cars pulled through and drove down to the end of the lot and stopped, while the guys quickly closed the gate and barred it again. Once they walked back down, the four followed them inside for a debrief of the events.

"I do believe tonight's message will have them thinking twice, that you are easy marks. We believe their numbers were reduced close to half, so they will need some time to regroup, before they think of doing anything else."

"We did a little thinning ourselves, while you were gone."

"How so?"

"Otto was on the roof with that sniper rifle and picked some bastard off climbing the hydro tower behind us. Took the back of his head off."

"Is that a fact?"

"Oh yeah. Cops came and are probably still back there now doing the clean up."

"Are they still back there?"

"Maybe, want me to check?"

"Yes. If they are, we'd like to get the cars inside to avoid being noticed."

"I'll open the bays anyway for you, best not take any chances."

JT and Keith went out and opened two of the bay doors and the cars were put inside. The doors were closed and locked, securing them there. Talk of the actions taken so far, had a sense of relief and promise in it, as the situation took a turn in their favour. JT looked at his brothers, no longer seeing riders looking for freedom, but soldiers fighting for their lives. Every one of them was prepared to battle to the end and win their freedom back, but his fear of losing even one, weighed heavily on him.

The remaining Disciples left alive after the attack, rode back west to the clubhouse. None of them paid any attention to the old Pontiac StratoChief behind them, with three black youths in it. Benny, Lamont and his brother tailed them in hopes of locating their clubhouse outside Stockton's west end.

The Disciples rolled into their lot, closing the chain link gate behind them, as the three allies sat down the street and observed them. When the sound of their engines stopped, they waited a couple of minutes, before taking a slow drive past, noting the small building's access points and the strength of the perimeter fencing. They wrote as much about what they saw as they could, then turned around and headed back to 13th St. In the morning, they were calling to Charming and share the information with their friends and allies.

Far to the south, in the Buena Vista restaurant earlier that day, La Roca and his two top men sat with Jimmy Cacuzza, listening to what he had to say. The understanding of protection for the club, was one they knew they had to assist in, or face a sharp decline in income, as well as earn a bad reputation for failing to help them in their time of need. Jimmy also made it quite clear, that not doing so would be a very bad thing to him and needless to say, result in things happening they wouldn't like. La Roca assured Jimmy they were on board and willing to help their friends in the north and listened to what part he had to play in it all.

Early the next morning, the sound of thunder crashing, brought a miserable start to the day for everyone. The rain pelted down heavily on the clubhouse roof, causing a steady din of noise inside. The guys were awakened by it and looked out the windows at wave after wave being blown by the winds. No thoughts of action were contemplated, as they started making some breakfast. The four mobsters had slept in their cars in the shop and JT opened the clubhouse door and ran over to them. They were in the office cleaning their guns and repacking ammo belts for the M60s.

"You guys want to come in for some breakfast? All we have is bacon and eggs, toast and coffee, but it's better than nothing."

"That's a fine offer JT and we would be happy to join you. We'll be over in a few minutes, once we finish this."

"Great. Sorry about you guys having to crash in your cars, but we don't have much room for guests staying over."

"Not to worry. Today looks like a day to relax and sort out some things out."

The phone rang and JT picked it up, wondering who would be calling so early.

"Hey, Benny, what's up Bro'?"

JT heard what they had found out and told them to come up to the shop and they'd go over the information they gathered. Benny said they'd be there in an hour, or so and goodbyes were exchanged, before JT hung up.

"Alright. We now know where their clubhouse is and how well they're protected in it. That was our friends in Stockton that I told you about. They tailed the club out to the west end of Stockton after they left the lot."

"This is good news, JT. If we can hit them on home turf, the message will be better understood, that we mean business and not to mess with us."

"Yeah, shake them up a bit more and let them know they aren't safe anywhere either."

"Exactly. Today might be a nice day to take a drive out there. We can hit them before they have a chance to regroup and plan something else."

"You want to go out in this?"

"It's only rain. JT, I wanted to ask a small favour of you."

"Sure, name it."

"It would make us very happy, if while we are taking care of business, you and some of your guys might do a little body work for us on the Caddy."

"Not a problem. I can check around for some parts and swap them out for you. I don't think the bumper can be fixed, so we'll try and get another one for it, but everything else, we should be able to repair. You know Otto, our marksman. He works at a body shop, so we can get a hold of anything we need from there."

"That will be greatly appreciated, JT. We're done here, so let's make our way over to the clubhouse and have some breakfast."

The five of them dashed across the lot and into the clubhouse, shaking off the rain that hit them.

"Wow, coming down pretty hard."

"This is a good thing, makes it hard to spot us."

"Yeah, it would, wouldn't it?"

"Couldn't ask for better cover to operate in, almost as good as the night."

"You guys don't mind?"

"We are here to do a job, weather is not a factor in when we do it. We would be much obliged if we can clean up and have a shower afterwards, then we can begin our operation."

"Sure thing. Even have clean towels and all you'll need."

"You are a good host, JT. You and your guys have been very hospitable to us and we are grateful for your kindness."

"Hey, we owe you guys big time for this, it's the least we can do."

"I will have many good things to say to Mr. Cacuzza about you, upon our return. He spoke of you highly and it is easy to see why. You have made us feel welcome, in an otherwise unpleasant situation. Whatever it takes to fix the car, let us know and we'll pay you as such. Sometimes a car works better than bullets at solving a situation, you understand?"

"I sure do. I've never been that close to staring death in the face before, not even in 'Nam. When you smashed into them, I thought that was the guns going off and what dying felt like. Lenny and I looked at each other and couldn't believe what happened, it was just pow, change of equation. In seconds you were putting bullets in those guys and then looked at us and thought we were next. Then you said my name and put it all together. Hey, something I just realized. When the cops were here, investigating the guy we took off the tower, they never said a word about the two guys in the hospital lot and I was wondering why? They must know it involves us some how, I mean, I just leave with Lenny and minutes later, two guys are lying dead in a smashed up car. Not hard to figure out who to come to."

Luigi pondered that thought over, wondering why they wouldn't connect it to him.

"Perhaps this is one of those things they want to put together first and see what adds up. It's unfortunate that we made our presence known so quickly, but things as they were, we didn't have much choice. They may see it as something known, but best left alone and covered up. The less said, the better. Not too hard to identify the guys and you are under the good chief's watchful eye to be protected, so whoever it was that did this, it was in the best interest of all parties concerned in the matter."

"But we're talking about two dead guys, shot in the head three times, sitting in a hospital parking lot, you don't think that's a bit too much to cover up?"

"JT, please, don't be so naive here. The government is the best at covering up things. No news reports, no questions by anyone, make up some new news that takes their mind off it and it all goes away quietly. It's only two scumbags who mean nothing to them, nobody even. A blurb in the back page of the newspaper at best. Just make the car look as good as you can and don't make too much noise about it."

"What noise, Luigi?"

"You know, don't go shouting out you need a new front end for a 66 Caddy. The cops are probably looking for a car with a smashed front end, so be careful who you go to for parts."

"Oh, sure, no problem, I wouldn't have anyway, I know that. No, I know where to get parts for this without noise. I'll make a call to him after I check to see what I need and what I can fix. I know he can get those parts for me today. Might be pissed about driving in this rain, but he'll come through."

"Tell your friend he will be gratefully rewarded for his services."

"Oh, I think you know him, or should, anyway."

"Who is your friend?"

"Gus."

"No, not Gus Borgdanatov?"

"Yup, that Gus."

"I haven't seen him in so long, it's been years. Mr. Cacuzza wishes he would let him help him, but he refuses, says he likes playing with junk."

"You know, he really is happy around scrap metal. You have to see him at work. Ask for anything and he's either got it, or knows where to get it. He goes to everybody's scrapyard and acts like it's his inventory. We got that bus from him for practically nothing and he'll still make money on his end."

"What do you want a bus for, if you mind me asking?"

"It's for friends of ours out in San Fran. Theirs broke down, so we're swapping it out for this one and fixing it up for them on the cheap. Not a lot of money, you know what I mean?"

"You are a very generous man, JT. You have a good heart in you. Yes, Mr. Cacuzza will hear good things from me on my return. Now, we must be on our way while the time is right. This rain works very well to our benefit, for what we wish to do today."

"Give me any hints to what that is?"

"I'll tell you when we get back, let's make it a surprise."

"Alright, sounds like a good surprise to hear about."

"Oh, it will be, trust me. They had a taste of lead, time for something else. Much easier and a lot quieter to do."

"Okay, sounds interesting."

Luigi got his men together and they headed to the garage with JT. The crew watched the Caddy pull out of the bay and head to the gate. Wally and Keith opened it and let them through and shut it again, the rain soaking them. The truck was put back in front and they walked back in dripping wet. JT looked over the front end of the Caddy and assessed the damage. The bumper on the front was smashed in and the grille dented, so they'd need replaced. The rest was cosmetic stuff he could straighten out good enough to pass. He opened the hood and saw the rad was a bit close to the fan, telling him the front support frame was going to need straightening. There was surprising little else for damage otherwise.