Reese Ch. 03

Story Info
Repercussions.
17.2k words
4.86
14.2k
15

Part 3 of the 8 part series

Updated 10/08/2022
Created 02/14/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
kalamazoo707
kalamazoo707
1,662 Followers

Note: Thanks to Mostera1 and Donalde for beta reading for me and thanks to all of you for reading my stories and taking the time to vote and comment. Here is a breakdown on the names that someone requested... Giovanni and Reese are one and the same. Reese changes his name when he meets Dante in the 1800s. Dante and Marco are the same person. Dante changed his name to Marco after he got information from Edgar because he didn't want Edgar to look for him when he disappeared. When I am referring to the past, I will use the name that Reese was born with-Giovanni. I don't plan for any other names changes at this time. Thanks... kal

Reese stood back and watched as guards seemed to come from out of nowhere. He heard Paolo's voice tinged with anger and fear issue orders for the grounds to be searched and that the intruder was to be brought to him unharmed. Reese knew that he was courting trouble, but he wanted to watch as the coin was found. What he really wanted was to see Rossi's face when it was given to him. He knew that he would have no idea of who it came from, but it would send his anxiety level through the roof and he would know that it was someone from the old days. Reese could almost see Rossi's thin face pinched in concentration and fear as he tried to figure out who left the coin. He left when he heard someone yell out that he had found something.

He ended up at a high end men's costume store. Marco told him that all of Paolo's parties were costume parties. Apparently as in the human world, some vampires wanted anonymity. As he looked at the costumes, a flashback of a party came back to him. He shook his head and forced himself to concentrate on the task at hand.

"Can I help you find something?" a male voice from behind him asked.

"I am looking for a suitable costume for a party I am attending," Reese replied.

"Unfortunately we don't have much left," the man replied. "There's a huge party this weekend and things are pretty much picked over, but maybe we can put something together."

The "putting something together" took almost an hour. By the time the man was done, Reese barely recognized himself. His hair was tucked under a piece that made him look bald; contacts turned his eyes from brown to a vivid blue and the outfit was a three piece suit.

"Sometimes the best costumes are the ones that look real," the man said.

It made sense, Reese thought. In a roomful of people those in obvious disguise would be the first to come under suspicion. Paolo would assume that he wasn't afraid to reveal himself and would be intrigued by him. Reese paid the man and then compelled him to forget that he was there. He took his belongings and went home to check on Edgar.

***

Paolo paced his bedroom, his anger and fear palpable. He tried to tamp down his fear especially since there were so many other vampires around. While he could take care of his servants, there was no way in which he could win against the guards. With a thought, he lit every lavender scented candle that he had in the room and tried to relax.

"It was no one," he repeated over and over. "It was just a random stranger."

Even as he said it, he knew that it wasn't true. Edward's warnings clanged in his head, but what was he supposed to do? Cancel the party and run? The urge to do just that was so strong that he almost vanished from where he stood. The only thing that stopped him was his vanity. What would be said about him? What names would he be called? Paolo closed his eyes and regained control of his emotions. He inhaled deeply taking in the aroma of the lavender allowing it to work its magic.

****

Paolo wasn't the only one to sense the presence on the property. Leo was in the kitchen helping with preparations for the party when he felt it. He looked around to see if anyone else had noticed anything and then the sweet smell of fear hit his nostrils. It was much stronger than the time before. So strong that the others in the kitchen stopped what they were doing and sniffed the air. As one, they looked to Leo for guidance.

Just as he was about to lead them to Paolo's rooms, the scent of fear was replaced by the scent of lavender. All but Leo relaxed. He could still smell the underlying scent of fear and wondered why his senses were so much stronger than the others. It didn't matter he decided. The opportunity to destroy Rossi was gone. He did have to wonder about the intruder. His sense was that it wasn't an accidental thing and that whoever it was wanted his presence to be felt. He or she stayed even after the alarm had been raised. Maybe whoever it was would be able to help him.

***

The lead guard examined the coin and shrugged. It meant nothing to him. All he saw was an old coin from another country. He almost pocketed it to take home to his father who collected coins but then decided to show it to Paolo. If it was nothing, then he would ask to keep it.

By the time he reached Paolo's room, the smell of fear was gone. All he smelled was lavender- a smell that he hated. To him it smelled like burning weeds.

"What did you find?" a now calm Paolo asked.

"Nothing except an old coin that could have always been there," the guard replied as he handed the coin to Paolo.

Paolo took the coin and turned it over and over in his hand. He was about to hand it back when something about it caught his eye.

"Where did you find this?"

"In the back where you thought you sensed someone," the guard replied. "It was sitting on top of a pile of sand."

"Then it was just placed there," Paolo said his nervousness returning. "Someone wanted me to find it."

He took a closer look at the coin and froze. He recognized the coin from his time. That meant that whoever had been on the property was from that time or knew someone who was.

"How many more guards can you get here?" Paolo asked.

"As many as you need, but you already have plenty..."

"If that's true, how did an intruder enter my property unseen?" Paolo interrupted. "Where were your men? How was someone able to be here long enough to leave this coin?"

Paolo stopped when he saw the vampire's nose flare. He had allowed some of his fear to show.

"Get more men here now!" he bellowed allowing his anger to cover her fear.

The vampire hesitated and then smiled.

"They will be here within the hour."

After the vampire left, Paolo went to the window that faced the direction of where Reese had been.

"Who in the hell are you?" he asked.

****

Edgar paced the length of the room wondering if his father would do as the man requested. He hoped so, but he wasn't going to hold his breath. He sat down, stood up, paced and then sat down again. Finally he decided to explore his surroundings. Maybe there was a way out. He started with the small closet and systematically worked his way around the room. From there he went to the bathroom and then the tiny office where there was nothing but a desk. Exasperated, he went back to the main room to find Reese sitting at the small table.

"There is no way out of here," Reese said quietly.

"Is my father going to help you?"

"Yes," Reese replied. "You have underestimated his feelings for you."

Edgar's shoulders sagged in relief. He didn't care why his father was helping him, it only mattered that he was. He wasn't fooled; he knew that his captor had mentioned his mother as an additional incentive to get his father to help. Again, he didn't care.

"What will you do with me when this is over?" Edgar asked.

"I have no plans of doing anything to you," Reese replied, "but that can change at any time. Your survival depends on your father doing as he is told. If he doesn't, you die and I take your mother. It's that simple."

Edgar's eyes blurred with tears. He had been so careless and stupid.

"Have you eaten yet?" Reese asked

"N...no," Edgar replied.

"You should eat," Reese said, "the food isn't tampered with."

"Why should I believe you?" Edgar asked.

"If I intended to harm you, I wouldn't have put you in such comfortable surroundings," Reese replied. "I also don't lie. Eat or don't eat, it makes no difference to me. But explain something to me, how is it that you didn't know what I was until I was at your door? You should have been able to sense me long before that. It wasn't as if I masked what I was."

"Would it have made a difference?" Edgar asked.

"No," Reese replied, "but it would have made things more difficult, and you would still be here. So how is it that you didn't sense me?"

Edgar sat down across the table from Reese and debated as to what to tell him. Finally, he decided to go with the truth.

"I never took the time to learn those skills because I wasn't interested. I'm not a fighter and figured if I left others alone they would do likewise."

"Your father didn't force you to learn?" Reese asked.

"He tried, but as you can see; he was unsuccessful. Do I wish that I had listened to him? Yes I do and if I get out of this alive, I'm going to learn those skills."

"That would be wise," Reese said. "One day you may meet someone who truly means you harm. What do you know about this party?" Reese asked changing the subject.

"Not much," Edgar replied. "I only got an invitation because my father helps plan the parties and for whatever reason he decided to invite me."

"So you've never attended one of Rossi's parties?"

"No, but I hear that they can be rather wild," Edgar planned. "I guess I won't get to find out will I?"

"Do you know what happens at his parties?" Reese asked his voice intense. "People die or are taken to be used as slaves. Most of the humans who walk in do not leave. This is what your father is a part of. He helps Rossi murder innocents. Do you really want to be a part of that?"

"My father wouldn't do such a thing!" Edgar protested. "He only plans the parties."

"Edgar, how well do you know your father?" Reese asked. "You and he are estranged because of your sexual preference. You haven't talked in years so how can you say what he would and wouldn't do?"

"Because... He wouldn't kill anyone! He's brought home slaves from those parties. They were never mistreated and they certainly weren't killed!"

"What happened to them?" Reese asked.

"My parents found homes for them," Edgar replied.

"What? Like they are stay puppies?" Reese asked his anger rising. "These are people we're talking about!" Reese exclaimed. "What kind of homes were they sent to?"

"I...I don't know," Edgar confessed red faced. "I never asked."

"Then for all you know, they could be dead. Your father is just as responsible for the deaths of these innocents as Rossi is," Reese said. "He knows what happens to them and yet he still participates by providing Rossi with the victims."

"What do you want me to say?" Edgar asked. "That I'm sorry?"

"I don't want you to say anything," Reese replied seeing that Edgar didn't understand his anger. "Make yourself at home; you may be here for a while."

"What am I supposed to do?" Edgar asked. "There's nothing to read and there's no television."

"I would suggest that you start working on your skills," Reese said dryly as he stood up and vanished.

****

Lewis Nichols kept looking at the cell phone. On one hand he wanted it to ring, but on the other hand he didn't. If it didn't ring that meant that the man had either changed his mind or that Edgar had done something that got himself killed. If the latter was the case, then he would have Jean to deal with. He had no doubt that she would somehow blame him. She would tell him that he should have taken it upon himself to send guards no matter what Edgar wanted.

"Shit," he swore as he realized that she was right.

He toyed with the idea of giving Paolo a heads up, but something told him that the man on the phone would know if he did. If he did warn Paolo, then Jean's life would be endangered as well. If he had to choose someone to sacrifice, it would be Edgar.

"Ring damn it!" Lewis muttered under his breath. He wanted to know what was expected of him so that they could get it over with. He didn't know what the vampire wanted with Rossi nor did he care. In fact, he had decided that he wanted nothing more to do with Rossi and his parties. It was something that he and Jean had talked about at great length. He knew what happened after they left with the humans, but pushed it out of his mind.

"Why don't we have our own parties?" Jean asked. "We could run things the way that we want to. The humans wouldn't be tricked or forced into anything that they didn't want to do and there would definitely be no killing."

The more they talked about it, the more he liked the idea. This was going to be his last party with Rossi and then Edgar is kidnapped. He jumped when his contract cell phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Mr. Nichols, did you do as I asked?"

"Yes, I have another phone... who are you and what do you want me to do? Where is Edgar? I want to speak to him."

"Is the new phone a pre-paid as I instructed?" Reese asked ignoring Lewis's questions.

"It's as good as a prepaid phone," Lewis replied.

Reese's silence told him that he had screwed up. What he needed to know was how badly he had fucked up and if Jean would be pulled into it.

"Mr. Nichols, I don't think that you understand the gravity of the situation. I already have your son who at the moment is unharmed. Do I need to take your wife as well? How about your mother... what's her name? Phyllis?"

"Alright!" Lewis exclaimed. "I fucked up! Give me an hour and I'll have a prepaid phone! Please don't hurt Edgar! I'm the one who fucked up."

"You have thirty minutes to do as I instructed," Reese replied. "You have just used your one mistake."

"Wait!" Lewis shouted into the phone, but Reese had already hung up.

Lewis vanished from his office and to the nearest store that sold prepaid phones. He picked up three and then bought several minutes for each one. Unfortunately for him, the cashier was of the chatty variety.

"These are nice phones, but do you really need three?"

Finally, Lewis looked in the man's eyes and whispered, "Hurry up."

The cashier stopped talking and completed the transaction. Lewis made it back to his office just as his contract phone began to ring.

"I've got it!" he shouted into the phone.

"Good," Reese said calmly. "Give me the number."

"I just got here, give me a moment," Lewis breathed. "You didn't hurt Edgar did you?"

"No," Reese replied. "As I said, you used your one mistake. No harm came to him or any of yours, but if it does, it will be because you caused it to happen."

Lewis sat in a chair, his hands shaking as he opened a cell phone package. He was realizing that he did care for his son even though his sexuality was and always would be an issue. He turned the phone on and looked for the device information so that he could give Reese the phone number.

"I have the number," he said after a few minutes.

He gave Reese the number and waited for further instructions.

"I want you to call Rossi and tell him to add a name to his guest list. He will be anxious and it is up to you to put him at ease. I don't care what you tell him, but you will get me into that party."

"What name am I to give?" Lewis asked.

Reese thought for a moment before deciding to uses a name that he hadn't used since the eighteen hundreds. It seemed fitting to use that name when he killed Paolo Rossi. That Rossi wouldn't know the name was immaterial. But by the time he died, Paolo Rossi would know exactly who Giovanni Barresi was.

"Give him the name of Giovanni Barresi. You will call him tonight and tell him about me. I will call you later this evening to hear his response."

"May I please speak with Edgar?" Lewis asked.

"I will think about it," Reese said and hung up.

Lewis slammed the phone down on his desk and swore. To calm his nerves, he fixed himself a whiskey on ice and downed it in one swallow. After that, he had two more and made his call to Rossi.

***

Paolo was still bothered by the discovery of the coin. His fear was now completely under control and he could think rationally. He looked out of the window and saw the vampire guards milling about and relaxed even more.

"All will be well," he assured himself. "All will be well."

He found it hard that he had been so rattled to begin with. There had only been one intruder and what could one do against all of his guards and security system? Convinced that he had overreacted, Paolo chuckled to himself. He wasn't about to send the guards away since they were there, but he was no longer afraid.

The phone by the bed rang with the special ring that identified the caller as Lewis. Paolo whistled as he went to answer the phone.

"Lewis! How are things?"

"They are going well," Lewis replied hoping that he didn't sound nervous. "I was just calling you to tell you that I ran into a business associate and took the liberty of inviting him to the party on Saturday."

"Who is this associate?" Paolo asked.

"His name is Giovanni Barresi," Lewis replied.

"Lewis, why are you so nervous?" Paolo asked.

Lewis thought fast and came up with what he hoped was a viable explanation.

"Signore Barresi is interested in a partnership with me," he said. "He is a man of the world and whether he enters a partnership with me will depend on how well I entertain him."

"I see," Paolo replied feeling inexplicably anxious. "How does he know about my party?"

"Paolo, everyone knows of your parties," Lewis said stroking the vampire's ego. "He has always wanted to attend one, but time hasn't allowed it."

"What type of guest will he be?" Paolo asked. In other words what type of 'party favors' does he prefer?

"He will be the type of guest who will be among the last to leave," Lewis said knowing that if anything would get Reese in; that would do it.

"Does he prefer male or female?" Paolo asked.

Although he didn't enjoy having sex with males, he enjoyed watching often directing the action.

"He likes both, but he is a dominant." Lewis replied once again playing into Rossi's likes.

"Where is he from?" Paolo asked not sure of why it was important that he know.

"He comes from Messenia," Lewis replied not really knowing where Reese came from. Nor did he know that Reese was hoping that Rossi would ask.

"Messenia?" Rossi asked now slightly nauseated. "Are you certain?"

"Yes... is there a problem?" Lewis asked.

"N...No, I will see you and your guest on Saturday," Paolo replied and hung up.

His eyes drifted over to the coin. The feeling of unease grew. He quickly lit the lavender scented candles, sat on the bed and tried to understand his renewed nervousness.

***

Vangie walked around the large home touching the furniture.

"Do you like it?" Donatello asked as he watched her.

"It's beautiful!" Vangie exclaimed as she peeked into the room that would serve as their office. The desk was large enough that they could sit side by side as she worked on her classes and Donatello played chess or checked on his investments.

"Come," Donatello said holding out his hand. "Allow me to show you to our rooms."

Vangie took Donatello's hand and let him lead her to the basement of the house.

"There is an outside entrance and we can get in via the garage," Donatello explained. "If something should happen that we cannot get out, there is food and blood enough to keep us for a month. It has its own energy source as well. Once we are settled, I will begin on making another route out."

"Will you let me help you?" Vangie asked.

"There is no need for that..."

"Donatello, we talked about this," Vangie interrupted. "We are now a couple. That means that I help you."

"Of course," Donatello conceded. It was going to take him some time to get used to the change in their relationship. "I apologize; this is going to take some getting used to."

kalamazoo707
kalamazoo707
1,662 Followers