Ridin the Storm Out Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

After meeting with the attorney it was apparent my aunt knew exactly what she was doing and set about to make sure things went as she planned once she was gone. All of the necessary forms had been taken care of her before her death which meant there would be no probate, I would have to pay an inheritance tax, but then what's new in that department? The government is gonna get their share whether you like it or not.

I called my employer and requested the documentation be sent to the numbers on Gwen's card. He laughed and said he wasn't surprised, stating he knew with mother gone he expected me to move on. Though we'd been divorced for some time, seeing Babs with another guy still hurt. I knew before I ever left for Alabama it was time to go. Sitting in the Mid-Town café for a second day I was pleased to see the same lady as the day before. This time she brought a glass of water for me, sat down with a cup of coffee for herself and asked.

"Well, did you go out to see the place?"

I shook my head, "I was at the hospital this morning and the lawyers this afternoon. Why, is there something I should know?"

"Nope, nothing like that, just thought you might have driven out there. The hospital huh? Are you thinkin about the PT position that's open? Oh, did you get a key from the attorney?"

Now I was confused, "I did. Why?"

"By the time you're done eating I'll be done for the day. We can drive out and look around. Cindy and I were friends for a long time, I know her place like the back of my hand."

As we neared the long tree lined driveway it all seemed so much bigger than I remembered. Decades ago. The driveway was washed away in spots and there were a few low spots that needed fill. That would be easy to rectify if I moved here. Once inside with the lights on I felt like I was back in the 70's. From the ugly green appliances to the wall paneling and shag carpet everything screamed 70's and horribly outdated.

Walking through the cabin I could envision how things might look if upgraded and made more modernized. The exterior doors and all windows would need to be replaced along with the mechanicals, in my mind I could see hundred-dollar bills with wings flying away. Lying on my back staring at the dark ceiling that night I gave more thought to the day behind me.

Before I left the hospital Gwen had one of the young PT's give me a quick tour of the department and hospital. Everything was modern and up to date, newer technology had not been overlooked. The cabin was outdated and needed to be upgraded but Aunt Cindy had left me enough of an inheritance to cover all of that. So there'd be no actual large expenses from my pocket. Then there was the sixty plus acers of woods that according to the attorney hadn't been harvested in over fifty years. His suggestion was to contact the Forestry division and have them give me recommendations.

My inheritance from mother wasn't huge, but then fifty-seven thousand and change wasn't anything to sneeze at either. Especially when I considered that with the house being completely upgraded by the time I returned I could sell it for a tidy amount of money. The more I considered it the more I thought, "why not, what's there to lose?"

In my mind I theorized I could work at the hospital and rent an apartment in town while the cabin was being brought up to present day standards. I was back at the cabin the next day when Gwen called late morning. She had received the documentation and wondered if I could make a special board meeting that night. I explained I didn't have a suit, or even a tie with me. She laughed and told me not to worry, everyone was local and would surely understand.

Not only was I offered the job, I was informed that with my work history and certifications there would be a sign on bonus as well. I asked if I could have until noon the following day to accept or decline. That was fine with them. The next morning I called my present employer and told him of the package I had been offered. He didn't think more than fifteen seconds.

"Take the job Cal. That's a decent package, especially for a smaller regional hospital. Keep in mind, you'll be the supervisor, your work roll will be just that. More supervising and training the younger ones, not so much hands on all day long. You need to get out of town Cal. The girls are both married and gone, you seeing Barb with this other guy isn't doing you any good. Make the move buddy, get outa here once and for all."

That conversation was what I needed, suddenly everything was crystal clear. I contacted Gwen and accepted the position but explained it would take at least three weeks before I could start. She sweetened the pot and told me to take as much as a month if need be. I'd been gone two weeks by the time I returned to mom's place, to my delight the kitchen and one of the bathrooms were complete. The second bathroom was a few days away from completion. I contacted an old friend who owned a real estate business, in my mind I'd rather that someone I knew would receive the commission than someone I didn't know.

To my astonishment an offer had been made and I accepted before I had to leave for Alabama. I signed over a POA to my attorney for completion of the sale and forwarding the funds to my new bank in Alabama. With the help of Gayle I found a contractor I felt comfortable with to upgrade the cabin while I rented a small apartment a half mile from the hospital. Every few days I would go have supper with Gayle at the diner and then go to the cabin to check on progress.

Five weeks after hiring the contractor he shook my hand and handed me keys to the new locks they'd installed that afternoon. I wrote a final check and began preparing to move in. The furniture from mom's place and left over from my previous marriage had been in storage, I arranged to have it delivered. I spent the first night in my new home three months ago.

Which brings us back to the beginning of my story.

Though there had been rain and some thunder boomers previously this was the first serious storm with high winds, lightning and rain since I had arrived. Thankfully it was a Friday night, well, actually very early Saturday morning, which meant I could nap during the day. It was close to 3am when the weather began to subside, I washed the empty cup and resumed my previous position between the sheets. When I awoke the sun was shining brightly, I sensed it was after nine and I was right. 9:08 to be exact.

I had some toast and a cup of coffee before going outside to determine what damage the storm had done. Other than a plethora of small branches the only real damage was the large pine I had heard snap and thud during the storm. It was about 100 feet from the house and had caused no damage other than to growth around it. I grabbed the chainsaw and went about cutting it into lengths that could be made into lumber. It was while refueling that I noticed a truck coming up the driveway.

The lake below me had no public access, what wasn't owned by the nine of us who resided year-round was part of a wildlife refuge. Gayle had told me not to be surprised if people wanting to fish the lake stopped in to see if they could launch from my dock. Having spoken with my distant neighbors I learned the lake was restricted and powered boats were not allowed. Sailboats, canoes or other paddle driven craft, but nothing mechanically powered. With the lake being land locked other than we nine owners I knew I'd have no problem telling people no thanks.

With it being springtime I made the assumption it was fishermen making their way to the cabin. I was sitting on the tree stump when the truck came to a stop. As the driver's side door opened I watched an older lady exit and go around to the passenger side where a boy of about 9 or 10 got out. Walking toward me she was admonishing the lad.

"Mind your manners, call him mister or sir and be polite no matter what he says."

The boy nodded. I watched her closely, not because I mistrusted her, but because I found her interesting. I guessed she was an average height of five foot six or seven, her body looked sturdy. Having worked on every configuration of human anatomy during my many years as a PT I knew a sturdy body from one not so sturdy. She had no flab, no muffin top, her skin was aged but not sagging as so many do later in life. In my mid-fifties I was well aware of that battle, gravity tended to win most of the time.

She wasn't the most handsome woman I'd ever seen, neither was she homely, her face radiated with a pleasant smile. It was when she stuck out her hand to shake mine that I took in the rest of her demeanor. Her body was what I would determine average, her breasts and bottom fit the rest of her physique perfectly. She was wearing jeans, a flannel shirt with the top button open and a pair of what looked like hiking boots.

"Hi, my name is Lynn and this young man is Timmy. His daddy is in the Navy on a submarine which means he's gone a lot. Usually six months at a time. Anyway, we were wondering if you might let us fish off your dock. It would mean the world to him, I promised I would cook whatever we caught and could keep."

I studied her face a moment, "You don't want to fish today. The storm will have washed so much food into the water they won't be looking for anything. I'll make a deal with you though, come back next Saturday and we can go out in the canoe. I know a few spots where the pan fish will be spawning by then, we'll be sure to catch something."

She reached out and touched my hand, "Really? You would do that? You're so kind, most folks on the lake won't let you fish for any reason. Don't misunderstand, I don't blame them, some of those guys who stop in can be mighty nasty. I greatly appreciate your offer. Shall we take him up on it Tim?"

His little face was smile from ear to ear as his head nodded like a bobble head doll. We exchanged phone numbers, I told her I would call later in the week to set up a time to fish the following Saturday. Other than work or the girls I never got calls or texts, so it surprised me a few days later when the name came up Lynn.

Lynn: Hi Cal. How's it looking for fishing on Saturday? Timmy is so excited he hasn't stopped talking about it to his mom all week.

Me: Hi Lynn. This is a pleasant surprise. I was going to call tomorrow and ask if you guys wanted to come tomorrow night so we could be on the water by seven the next day. I have a spare room with a bed and bath, Timmy could camp on the floor in the room with you.

Lynn: I think that might work. I'll need to check with his mom, but I'm sure it'll be okay when I explain.

Me: Great. If you can come text me during the day and I'll see you guys by five, we can go out for a burger or pizza, whichever he wants. We'll make Saturday all about him.

Lynn: I like the way you think. He'll be thrilled. And if I know him it'll be a burger, the kid loves bacon cheeseburgers with fries. I'll make sure his mom packs a toothbrush and a change of clothes in case he gets wet while we fish.

Me: Okay, then it's a date. See you guys around five.

Lynn: I'm blushing. I haven't been on a date since Jerry died six years ago. Just kidding, see you tomorrow.

Widowed six years. She didn't look old enough, then again my vision of widows has always been someone much older. If I had to guess I supposed she was in her very early sixties. Thinking about the fact that she was still in good shape and not bad looking it made me smile. Hmm, maybe this is where I was meant to be after all. I still had some get up and go, I'd just need to locate it after such a long dry spell.

Lynn and Timmy rolled into the driveway just before five Friday, he wanted to put his fishing gear in the canoe so it was ready the next morning. I convinced him on the porch would be better, for affect I included, "just in case some bears are sniffing around." His eyes got big as saucers.

"You got bears here? Really??

"Yup, they pretty much stay in the woods. They won't bother us, but they do go down by the lake sometimes at night. Let's leave your gear on the porch. Anybody need a potty break before we head to town?"

He grabbed his bag and Lynn's as he bound inside. I yelled, "First door on the right."

She and I were standing in front of the truck chuckling as we watched him. She slipped her arm through mine and gave me kind of a sideways hug.

"You're alright Cal, I don't care what they say about you at work."

As she let go I stepped back enough to look at her. "Why, what do they say about me at work?"

She lightly punched me in the shoulder as she laughed.

"How would I know? I was trying to be funny. Although I do know you're a good supervisor and the people in your department respect you."

Now I was confused, "How would you know that?"

"I did a little investigating this week and found out you're a pretty nice guy."

I cocked an eyebrow, "Investigating?"

She laughed and lightly punched me again, "My daughter works at the hospital. She speaks highly of you."

"Your daughter? What's her name" Maybe I know her."

With a grin she said softly, "Gwen."

Just then the screen door flew open and a nine-year-old came charging our way yelling "I'm hungry, can we go eat?"

Conversation at Bob's Burgers (no shit, that's the name of the place) centered around fishing and making sure Tim got a good night sleep. The comment that made Lynn and I choke was.

"Miss Saylor told me on the way here to make sure I go poop before we go out on the canoe cuz there won't be no place to do that on the lake."

I had just taken a swig of beer, I was laughing and coughing so hard part of it ended up dripping from a nostril. Lynn and I were laughing which helped to not make it an embarrassing moment for me. With her hand on top of mine she looked down and shook her head. Then stated.

"Kids, you gotta love um. Tim, that was supposed to stay between you and me."

We were home by eight and he was out cold by eight thirty, curled up on a blow-up mattress beside the bed Lynn would be sleeping on. I mentioned I was going to sit on the porch for a bit and asked if she'd like to join me. With a smirk she asked.

"Got any beer?"

"I'm not much of a connoisseur, I have Miller and a few cans of Coors. You're welcome to either."

She laughed, "Me neither, I usually drink Miller Lite, but I can handle a regular Miller."

"That works out well Lynn, because Miller Lite is what I generally drink."

On the porch gazing out at the glimmering light off an almost eerily calm lake a line from that same Reo Speedwagon song came to mind. "I'm not missing a thing, watchin the full moon crossin the range."

How apropos, sitting next to a nice lady as we watched the full moon dance off the still waters. We'd been sitting about fifteen minutes without saying a word when she broke the silence.

"How long you been single Cal?"

I leaned my head back and thought a moment, "Mmmm, it's been over five years now. How about you?"

"Jerry died six years ago, but he was vacant for almost fifteen months before that. He was alive, but he wasn't there any longer. He didn't remember who I was the last six months, those were the hardest. I taught high school English until two years ago."

That set my mind to wondering, "If I may ask, how old are you Lynn?"

She laughed, "Sure you can ask. This stuff about a lady never divulges her age is BS. As if you can't tell a withered up old person when you see one. I'm sixty-one. Which in my opinion is still young. And you Cal, how old are you?"

I took a long slow swig of beer and replied, "I'm 57 and looking 58 in the eye. My birthday is in June."

She glanced my way, "Do you plan on working until you're 66 and do SS, or are you thinking of pulling the plug sooner?"

That question made me think, "I'm not sure. I've never really given it much thought. Financially I could retire now, I'm just not sure I'm ready to live a sedentary life yet."

She playfully slapped my arm. What was it about her that made her think I was a punching bag anyway?

"It doesn't have to be sedentary Cal. I'm having more fun now than I had in over 40 years. I travel some, I visit family, I even went to Ireland last year trying to research my ancestors. Then there's that lake below you, I'll bet it hasn't been fished in years. We could take a shot at getting rid of some big-uns so the smaller ones can grow."

I turned sideways to look at her. "You're serious aren't you? Guess I hadn't given it much thought."

As I got up to get another beer I gestured toward her. She nodded and said thanks. There was another ten minutes or so of silence before she spoke again.

"Do you miss it Cal? The physical part of being married?"

I shrugged, "I don't know. I suppose I do. There wasn't much companionship left at the end. What I do miss is the closeness, the intimacy, the tenderness and mutual affection. The just having someone to share your life with."

She took a deep breath and exhaled slowly, "Yeah, me to. Ever done anything about it?"

I wasn't sure if I should make up something or just tell her the truth. Truth won.

"Yes and no. I dated a couple women but there was no spark. Nothing happened beyond some kissing and a grope or two. If you're asking if I've had sex, the answer is no. I'm not sure how it is for women, but for me after a while those emotions just shut down and I didn't think about it much after that. If I get to where it really bothers me I take a hands on approach, if you get my drift."

She laughed, "I get it, believe me I get it. I have a vibrating friend in my nightstand that I date a few times a year. I'm like you, for the most part. I tried dating a guy about a year after Jerry died, in fact I let him into my bed which ended in disaster. I felt like I was cheating on Jerry and made him get off me. Poor guy went home with blue balls and I didn't care."

I stood, "With that note it's time for me to crash. It's been a fun evening. Nice having someone to talk with about things other than work. See you in the morning."

"Yup, goodnight Cal. I'm gonna finish my beer and then hit the hay."

I found it interesting that an English teacher would use slang from time to time, then again, it was refreshing in a sense. At least she wasn't some snooty word Nazi. My alarm was set for six, the smell of cooking emanated from the kitchen. Lynn had been up for some time and had breakfast ready for what she called her "hungry men". I smiled to myself thinking that's the way mom would have spoken.

Timmy wolfed his food and stood, "I'm gonna go....

Lynn interrupted, "Use the bathroom?"

He smiled, "Yes, that's what I'm gonna do. But what if I have to pee when we're fishing?"

She laughed, "I'll turn my head and you can pee off the side. A little pee in a lake that size won't matter."

"But what about you miss Saylor?"

"If it comes to that I'm sure Cal is enough of a gentleman to take me ashore to pee. I have some tp in my backpack."

I put Lynn in the front of the canoe and Tim in the middle with a child size paddle. With both Lynn and I knowing how to paddle properly we had no trouble getting in and out of little hidey holes along the banks. Tim's first catch had him so excited I was sure he'd pee his pants, he didn't, thankfully. By late morning we had reached our limit and headed back to the dock. The lake was calm and serene, we were in no hurry taking our time to enjoy the scenery along the shoreline. At one point some folks on a dock waved and shouted hello.

When it came time to clean the fish I was concerned about Timmy handling a knife. We compromised, I gave him a scaler along with hands on instructions on how to use it and I did the fileting. He was a mess, scales everywhere and the smell of fish was pervasive. I was finishing up the last of the filets when Lynn escorted young mister Timmy to the house for a shower and change of clothes. By the time she and Timmy made it to the kitchen I already had fish in the pan and almost ready to eat. I pointed at the pantry and told Tim to choose whatever kind of chips he'd like to go with lunch. He came back with three different bags. Boys.