Rocky Mountain High

Story Info
A romance in email.
4.4k words
4.64
32.6k
34

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 12/29/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

FROM: Paul Mason

TO: Mike Olson

Hey, dude, your luck's changing. Didn't I see you out at MacMurdo's Friday night with some hottie?

FROM: Mike Olson

TO: Paul Mason

Nope, no hotties in sight. Friday night I took my little sister out for a burger and a movie. She's a great kid, but I wouldn't call that a change of luck.

FROM: Paul Mason

TO: Mike Olson

Wait, that angelic brunette in the white sun dress was your sister? My God, man, you've been holding out on me!

FROM: Mike Olson

TO: Paul Mason

Well, she does have brown hair, and she did have a white dress on now that you mention it. I don't know about angelic, though. The crap she used to pull on me when we were growing up...

FROM: Paul Mason

TO: Mike Olson

Never mind that. Why didn't you ever tell me that you had a sister that hot?

FROM: Mike Olson

TO: Paul Mason

You met her a few times when we were in high school. She's been up at McGill the last few years doing pre-med, though.

FROM: Paul Mason

TO: Mike Olson

I remember a skinny, dorky little kid with thick glasses and braces. Damn, I should have been nicer to her.

FROM: Mike Olson

TO: Paul Mason

Yeah, you should have. She's filled out some and gotten rid of the glasses and braces.

FROM: Paul Mason

TO: Mike Olson

"Filled out" is an understatement. My God, man, you took her out in public in that dress? How many accidents did she cause?

FROM: Mike Olson

TO: Paul Mason

She's just my sister. I catch your eyes on her chest, though, and I'll staple them shut.

FROM: Paul Mason

TO: Mike Olson

Mine and every other straight man's in sight. You better start buying staples in bulk. Is she single? Seeing anyone?

FROM: Mike Olson

TO: Paul Mason

She's just back from Canada taking a break before med school. No men in sight. And no, I'm not setting her up with any horndogs.

FROM: Paul Mason

TO: Mike Olson

Horndog? You wound me. Would I ever treat your sister with anything but the utmost respect?

FROM: Mike Olson

TO: Paul Mason

Not if you value your balls you won't. You know how many bull calves I've turned into steers on our ranch? I can do it in about ten seconds flat.

FROM: Paul Mason

TO: Mike Olson

Point taken. Seriously, though, would it be OK if I called her up?

FROM: Mike Olson

TO: Paul Mason

I'll let you know.

FROM: Mike Olson

TO: Katie Olson

Hey, Pipsqueak, you remember my friend Paul Mason from back in high school?

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Mike Olson

It's Katherine, you jerk. How many times do I have to say that? And yes, I remember my first crush. What girl doesn't? What about him?

FROM: Mike Olson

TO: Katie Olson

He's back in town and I guess he saw us eating dinner the other night. Sounds like he wants to ask you out. You interested?

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Mike Olson

Maybe. Has he been bumming around here the last eight years? Still working at the IGA?

FROM: Mike Olson

TO: Katie Olson

No, he's recently back in town after working off his West Point service obligations. Doesn't say much except that he was in Iraq and Afghanistan a lot. Still a pretty good guy, but don't tell him I said that.

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Mike Olson

And he's still good looking?

FROM: Mike Olson

TO: Katie Olson

How the hell would I know? I'm not gay. Whatever he did in the service, though, he appears to have all the body parts he started out with.

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Mike Olson

Really? Maybe I need to investigate that further...

FROM: Mike Olson

TO: Katie Olson

Don't you dare. I paid good money for your anatomy classes, and not so you could brush up with my high school buddies.

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Mike Olson

You? I thought it came out of my trust fund.

FROM: Mike Olson

TO: Katie Olson

And who wrote the checks after Mom and Dad's accident?

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Mike Olson

Anyway, yeah, tell Paul Mason to call me.

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Laura Daniels

OMG!! Laura!! Remember how I thought coming back to small town Colorado would be boring? Guess who just asked me out?

FROM: Laura Daniels

TO: Katie Olson

What, Mr. Perfect is still there? Has he made Produce Department Manager yet? How much of a pot belly does he have?

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Laura Daniels

That's CAPTAIN (ret.) Perfect if you don't mind. As in he just finished working off his West Point education and is taking a break before he starts a new career. I can't believe this! One week back in town and I've got a date with Paul!

FROM: Laura Daniels

TO: Katie Olson

Girl, you know you've got it going on. Didn't all those men chasing after you at McGill mean anything? What does it take to convince you?

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Laura Daniels

Those were just a bunch of horny college boys. Paul's a grown man. I like that a lot.

FROM: Laura Daniels

TO: Katie Olson

Like you didn't think he was all that the whole time you were up here in Quebec? Even that English guy with the title and the castle didn't measure up to Paul the Bag Boy from Colorado. Seriously, honey, calm down. He may not be all you've built him up to be.

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Laura Daniels

Don't remind me of Lord Whatsit. I'm just glad I figured out what a conceited ass he was before that went too far. What am I going to wear? Oh God, Laura, I need you here, not 2000 miles away!

FROM: Laura Daniels

TO: Katie Olson

You could wear a feed sack from your brother's barn and that boy would be enchanted. Remember what we taught you? Show off your chest, legs, or butt, but only one at a time. You can do this. Christ, girl, you're a dead ringer for Carol Alt at the top of her game. You don't need a lot more than that.

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Laura Daniels

He never noticed me before.

FROM: Laura Daniels

TO: Katie Olson

That was then, this is now. Go get him, you sexy beast.

FROM: Paul Mason

TO: Mike Olson

Hey, Mike, just so you know, I called Katherine and I'm picking her up from your place for dinner Saturday night.

FROM: Mike Olson

TO: Paul Mason

She better be home on time and no worse for wear.

FROM: Paul Mason

TO: Mike Olson

It's dinner, man. What do you think I am, a serial killer?

FROM: Mike Olson

TO: Paul Mason

I think you've got the hots for my sister.

FROM: Paul Mason

TO: Mike Olson

I'd be a liar if I denied that but I don't abuse women.

FROM: Mike Olson

TO: Paul Mason

Not that I've known of. Still, she means the world to me. After our parents died she's all I have left. Hurt her and I'll stop at nothing.

FROM: Paul Mason

TO: Mike Olson

You're scaring me a little, dude, but I swear I'm not out to take advantage. A dinner is all it is. I want to get to know her.

FROM: Mike Olson

TO: Paul Mason

Well, I can't tell her not to. Have fun, but not too much.

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Laura Daniels

OMG! Laura!

FROM: Laura Daniels

TO: Katie Olson

What time is it? 3 AM? What's wrong with you?

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Laura Daniels

Sorry, I forgot the time difference. I just got back from dinner with Paul!

FROM: Laura Daniels

TO: Katie Olson

And?

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Laura Daniels

It was SO PERFECT! He took me to this small Italian place that opened up after I left town. We talked for HOURS! He did a lot in the Army, but he's ready to move on. He's got this, I don't know, gravitas? I mean, he's seen the elephant and doesn't get excited about all the stupid stuff most guys do. It's soooooo sexy. We went for a long walk and never got tired of it. He had to remind me that I needed to be home before Mike freaked out. So he took me home and, uh...

FROM: Laura Daniels

TO: Katie Olson

Don't leave that hanging.

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Laura Daniels

Whatever he did in the Army left him in great, muscular shape, and the guy kisses like it's his last chance. If Mike hadn't started making a bunch of noise in the house I'd probably still be tucked safe into Paul's arms on the front porch swing.

FROM: Laura Daniels

TO: Katie Olson

You're giving me hot flashes. That good?

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Laura Daniels

BETTER. I used to daydream about kissing Paul when I was a little kid, but I never believed I'd like it this much. We're hanging out again in a couple days and Things are definitely going to Happen.

FROM: Laura Daniels

TO: Katie Olson

Slow down there. I know this is exciting but keep your panties on. Don't go nuts.

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Laura Daniels

I'm excited, not dumb. Not that I'm not tempted.

FROM: Paul Mason

TO: Mike Olson

Hey, could I borrow a couple of horses later this week? I was thinking about taking Katie for a ride out to Reflection Lake.

FROM: Mike Olson

TO: Paul Mason

We've got enough of the damn things around here and most of them could use the exercise. You remember how to handle a horse? Knowing the Army, they probably still have a Horse Cavalry School, right?

FROM: Paul Mason

TO: Mike Olson

Not that I ever saw, but yeah, I can still handle a horse. We grew up on them, remember? Some things you don't forget.

FROM: Mike Olson

TO: Paul Mason

I'll tell the stable hands to set you up.

FROM: Paul Mason

TO: Mike Olson

That's it? No threats?

FROM: Mike Olson

TO: Paul Mason

If you haven't gotten the message by now saying it again won't make any difference. If you think I'm any less serious about how much I love that kid, though, you're headed for a very painful experience. Anyway, she's had a smile on her face since your date the other day. Much as I hate to say this I think you may be good for her.

FROM: Paul Mason

TO: Mike Olson

I ain't much, but I'm trying to be good for her. She's a terrific girl. I'll stop by your barns first thing Tuesday?

FROM: Mike Olson

TO: Paul Mason

Sounds good.

FROM: Laura Daniels

TO: Katie Olson

So how was the big date? I've been waiting to hear.

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Laura Daniels

Sorry, I was taking a long hot bath. God, I'm sore.

FROM: Laura Daniels

TO: Katie Olson

Didn't we talk about this, young lady?

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Laura Daniels

From riding a horse, not Paul! Not that I don't like the idea. Last summer I was doing that NIH internship so I haven't actually been riding in a couple years. All my muscles are reminding me now.

FROM: Laura Daniels

TO: Katie Olson

What happened? I want DETAILS!

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Laura Daniels

Paul borrowed a couple horses from Mike and we rode out to Reflection Lake. On the way there we came across some fresh grizzly tracks and Paul didn't get excited, just checked the bear spray and moved between me and where the bear was. I mean, I could have dealt with it myself- I grew up here too, after all- but it's nice to be with a guy who's so damn competent I don't have to. At the lake, he pulled a loaf of bread, some meat, and a block of cheese out of his saddlebag and we had a simple lunch. The lake looked so cool and I was sweaty from the ride, and I had go swimming.

FROM: Laura Daniels

TO: Katie Olson

You and your water obsession. You brought a swimsuit?

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Laura Daniels

Nope, and I wasn't quite ready to go skinny dipping with Paul in the middle of nowhere. I think he liked my t-shirt and thong, though.

FROM: Laura Daniels

TO: Katie Olson

I'm sure he did. He controlled himself?

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Laura Daniels

He's an absolute gentleman aside from the look in his eyes. We sat on a rock in the sun for a couple hours just drying off and chatting about life, until the sun started to go behind the mountains and we had to get dressed and start home. I took a shower while Paul unsaddled and fed the horses, and we had dinner with Mike and the hands. Paul fit right in with them, too. I'm past my dumb adolescent crush on him but I'm realizing that he's a genuinely good man. Such a great guy, and such a perfect day.

FROM: Laura Daniels

TO: Katie Olson

You in love, kiddo?

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Laura Daniels

Maybe. I'm definitely headed that way.

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Laura Daniels

Laura! OMG!

FROM: Laura Daniels

TO: Katie Olson

Another installment of Mr. Wonderful?

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Laura Daniels

You want to hear this or not?

FROM: Laura Daniels

TO: Katie Olson

Make it good.

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Laura Daniels

So last night we went out again and ended up back at his apartment. Looked military- spotlessly clean and nothing that couldn't be packed up in a couple hours. We end up cuddling on the couch and watching some movie- can't recall it now- and of course we started making out. It was a lot of fun, but he just wasn't taking the last step to close the deal. Dating a gentleman can be frustrating.

FROM: Laura Daniels

TO: Katie Olson

So?

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Laura Daniels

I finally whispered that cheesy old line from Top Gun in his ear- you know, "Take me to bed or lose me forever!" Next thing I knew I was on his bed, dress gone, watching him strip off. I almost came right there. Muscles everywhere, well equipped, Lord that man is sexy!

FROM: Laura Daniels

TO: Katie Olson

OK, now I'm interested.

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Laura Daniels

You remember how we used to hang around the dorm giggling at those silly articles in Cosmo about "How to have Multiple Orgasms"? Well, I'm a true believer. All it takes is a strong, handsome man who can play a girl's body like Carlos Santana can play a guitar.

FROM: Laura Daniels

TO: Katie Olson

Like finding one of those is easy. Damn, I'm jealous now.

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Laura Daniels

I finally had to beg him to stop making me orgasm because I was getting overwhelmed. He got his fair share too, believe me. Only problem is, when I put my head on his chest to rest it was so comfortable I dozed off instead of going home like I had intended.

FROM: Laura Daniels

TO: Katie Olson

Sleeping in your man's arms doesn't sound so bad.

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Laura Daniels

Next morning I decided to try out one of those other Cosmo articles- "Ten Tips for giving a Better Blow Job". I only made it to #4 before Paul woke up, tackled me and made me come about five more times. It was great until my overprotective big brother caught me doing the Walk of Shame later that morning. There's going to be trouble, I can tell.

FROM: Mike Olson

TO: Paul Mason

You want to explain why my sister snuck in at 9: 00 this morning wearing the same dress you took her out in last night? This better be good!

FROM: Paul Mason

TO: Mike Olson

She was with me and she was safe. Anything more than that, ask her.

FROM: Mike Olson

TO: Paul Mason

You're a dead man.

FROM: Paul Mason

TO: Mike Olson

You always talk about respecting her. How about practicing what you preach?

FROM: Mike Olson

TO: Paul Mason

What the hell does that mean?

FROM: Paul Mason

TO: Mike Olson

She's almost 23 and graduated from university with honors, and you still want to treat her like a 15 year old on her first date? She's an adult capable of making her own decisions. I promised that I would never take advantage of her or hurt her, and I haven't. Any other hangups you have are between you and her.

FROM: Mike Olson

TO: Paul Mason

She was 15 when our parents died. I sure as hell wasn't ready to raise that kid and run a ranch at 20, but there was no one else to do it. I guess it's hard to know when to put that role down.

FROM: Paul Mason

TO: Mike Olson

Look at her, man. College graduate, plenty of offers from med schools, and she's sweet, stable, and well adjusted. I'd say you've done pretty well. Your mother gets the credit for the fact that she's gorgeous, of course, but you need to start letting go.

FROM: Mike Olson

TO: Paul Mason

Maybe. I still don't like the idea of her staying out all night with a guy.

FROM: Paul Mason

TO: Mike Olson

She's old enough to do what she wants. Try not to think about it. It's the only way.

FROM: Paul Mason

TO: Katie Olson

When do you leave for UW Medical School?

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Paul Mason

September. Why?

FROM: Paul Mason

TO: Katie Olson

I've been offered a job with a civilian contractor at Ft. Lewis, 30 miles south of Seattle. Basically training people to do what I did in the service for about triple my Army pay.

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Paul Mason

I don't want you leaving Colorado just to follow me. You grew up here.

FROM: Paul Mason

TO: Katie Olson

The only job offer I've gotten is at the IGA. I can't live on my last signing bonus forever. I've been hanging around mainly to spend time with this lovely girl I've gotten to know, but once you leave I don't have much reason to stay here.

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Paul Mason

You know that I'm not going to have time for anything but school, right? We won't be seeing much of each other even if you move out there.

FROM: Paul Mason

TO: Katie Olson

Like I said, there's not a lot for me here one way or the other. I'm going to be working long hours too if I do this. You're going to be a great doctor and I want to support you any way I can. If that means backing off for a while I can live with that. OTOH, we could get a place to live together and that would be one less thing for you to deal with. I even know how to do laundry and buy food. Think about it.

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Laura Daniels

Laura! Help!

FROM: Laura Daniels

TO: Katie Olson

Now what?

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Laura Daniels

Paul's talking about taking a job in Washington State near UW. He even suggested we move in together! He says he's not doing it for me, but I don't believe that. What am I going to do?

FROM: Laura Daniels

TO: Katie Olson

I thought you were in love with the guy.

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Laura Daniels

I am, but I don't know if I can handle moving in with him and starting medical school at the same time. I told him I wasn't going to have any time for him, and he just said he'd accept whatever it took to support me! Why does he have to be such a good guy?

FROM: Laura Daniels

TO: Katie Olson

A man who doesn't expect women to take care of him? Those are rarer than unicorns.

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Laura Daniels

Paul was self sufficient for so long in the Army that it's second nature to him. He's never asked me for help with anything, just has everything organized when and where it needs to be. I can't see how he does it.

FROM: Laura Daniels

TO: Katie Olson

Look, you can't go wrong by being honest. If you can't handle living with him, say so. There's nothing wrong with having him in easy reach if you need him, as long as he knows how busy you are.

FROM: Paul Mason

TO: Katie Olson

Shit, there's no good way to say this. I'm being called back to active duty.

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Paul Mason

WHAT? I thought you were out of the Army!

FROM: Paul Mason

TO: Katie Olson

Technically I was what they call Individual Ready Reserve. It's a way to keep your rank and finish out your commitment when they don't actually need you. I never saw this coming. With things in the Middle East going sideways, I guess they need people with my skill set again.

FROM: Katie Olson

TO: Paul Mason

What does that mean for us?

FROM: Paul Mason

TO: Katie Olson

I'm going overseas for at least a year. I'm thinking we should take a break until I get back. Having a boyfriend on deployment is a shitty life at best. I have no right to ask you for any sort of commitment, and you don't need distractions from med school. I should be able to Skype and email at least occasionally if you want to hear from me.

12