Same Time Next Year

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DG Hear
DG Hear
5,713 Followers

Mel smiled lightly, "You're so crazy. That's one of the things I always loved about you. Of course Eric knew Andrea wasn't his child. We never had sex until after we were married. I told him that you were the father and didn't want any more to do with me. It's what you told me.

"Eric really cared for me. He really is a wonderful man but he also has pride. He agreed to marry me as long as I told everyone that he was my child's father. I honestly didn't know what else to do. You wanted no more to do with me and I was an eighteen year old girl. Eric and I got married but I had to promise never to see you again and to let everyone believe that Eric was Andrea's father.

"I still loved you and Eric knew it. He is a good man and we did get along fine until a couple of months ago when Andrea was diagnosed with the liver problem. You are her last hope. I had to choose whether to tell you or not. Of course Eric said if I told you that Andrea was your child that we could no longer stay married since his family and friends would know the truth. I didn't have a choice. My child's life is at stake and she comes first in my life. Will you get tested to see if you could be a possible donor?"

I could see tears of hope in her eyes. This wasn't a small decision. My marriage was most likely on the line also. I don't know how Trina would react to it, me giving part of my liver to Mel's child. I knew I had to do what was right, regardless of the circumstances and outcome.

"Mel, of course I'll get tested to save Andrea's life. Tell the doctor to set me up with an appointment and I'll be there."

All three of us had tears in our eyes. Mel came to me and gave me a hug. She whispered in my ear, "I love you so much, always have and always will."

Mel immediately got on the phone and called the hospital to set me up with an appointment to be tested. My appointment was set up for Monday. I figured it would give me a day or so to break the news to Trina. I guess I was really between a rock and a hard place. I believed Mel when she said Andrea was my daughter. When I get tested, I would know for sure and she had nothing to gain and a lot to lose by lying to me.

I hugged both Jen and Mel and headed for home a very confused man. Finding out that Andrea was my daughter threw me into a turmoil. I had a child who was ten years old and I've never even seen her. The woman I had always loved was back into my life. I had a wife at home who despised my old girlfriend and I had three more children at home. If I wasn't so young, I'd probably have a heart attack.

I was playing with the kids when Trina got home. It was hard to tell what kind of mood she was in because it changed so often. I decided to wait a while before talking with her. I knew she was going to blow a head gasket and I didn't want the kids to see it happen. They saw their mother and me argue too many times already.

On Sunday I took the kids over to see my mother. I told Trina I would be back in a few minutes, that I had something to discuss with her. When I got back she lit into me.

"What's so damn important that we can't talk in front of the kids?" asked Trina.

"I talked to Melissa yesterday and you and I have something to discuss." Trina interrupted me.

"What? You went and saw her. What for? She's not getting enough at home and wanted you to lend a hand?"

"That's enough, Trina. This is really serious and I need to talk to you about it. Mel's daughter is jaundiced and needs a liver transplant or she'll die."

"What does that have to do with us? I feel sorry about the girl but there's nothing we can do. Why did she need to tell you about it?"

Trina seemed a little more concerned but I knew she was wondering why Mel called me.

"Mel said that the girl needs part of an adult liver to survive and a family member has the closest chance for a match."

"Don't tell me she says you're the baby's father. Do you believe her?"

"Yes, she called to tell me that I was the little girl's father. Honest, Trina, I never knew. The girl needs a transplant and I'm going to see if I can help her. I have an appointment to see if I'm a match tomorrow."

"What about our family? Have you thought about them? What if something goes wrong or the fact that you will need time to recover yourself? Have you given any thought to us?" Trina looked more mad than concerned. She had a right to be mad. This was just thrust upon us but the fact remains that Andrea needs help to survive.

"Listen, knowing that I can possibly save a little girl's life and also the fact that she could well be my daughter gives me no options. I have to do it no matter what you say."

"You bastard, you put your girlfriend and her daughter ahead of your own family. You're a poor excuse for a man and a father."

"I'll pretend that you said that from your anger. If our kids needed the transplant, I'd be there for them and you know it. I'll know from the tests tomorrow if Mel's little girl is my daughter, and if she is, I'm going to do everything I can to help save her. I'm also going to be in her life whether you like it or not. I just hope you can stop your hatred and try to understand."

"For the record, Andrew! I'm against it. You may love her but she's not related to me and I don't care what happens to her. I have my own kids to worry about and if she lives, I don't want you bringing her into my house."

"You're one nasty bitch. I can't believe what I ever saw in you. I'm going to help this little girl if I possibly can. We'll see what happens after that."

"Is it the little girl you're worried about or her mother? You never did get over her, did you? You're pitiful, Andrew, really pitiful. Go fuck your old girlfriend and give your liver to her daughter. Maybe she'll take you back after I kick your ass out. I'll be watching you and gathering evidence. Better watch your step."

I picked up the kids and brought them home. Trina came in later and hardly talked to me. I knew life was going to be hell from here on out.-------------------------

I got tested and was told to wait around for an hour while they ran their tests. I went in the room to see Andrea. Mel was sitting there talking to her little girl. Andrea was so pretty. She did look a lot like her mother. She was ten but she was tiny due to the liver problem. She didn't look any older than my daughter Renee who was six. I walked up to the bed and it kind of startled Mel. She quickly turned and saw me standing there. She had the prettiest smile on her face.

"Thanks for coming," she said.

I looked over at Andrea. "Are you my Guardian Angel?" she asked me. "Mommy said my Guardian Angel would be here today to help me get what I needed. Are you him?"

I smiled at her. "I'm not exactly an angel but I am here hoping I can give you what you need. I'll know in just a few minutes."

"You're Andy, aren't you? Mommy said I was named after you. Did you know that? I should tell you that mommy and I talk all the time. Me and her have secrets. When I get better I'll share them with you. Mom said I could. I might look young because of this disease but I'm ten and pretty smart. Do you have other kids?"

The way she said that made me wonder. Did she know the truth about me? She did say other kids, didn't she? She talked like she was so smart but her body looked so fragile. God, I hope I was the perfect match for her.

"Yes, sweetheart, I have three kids all younger than you at home. After you get well I'll bring them to see you."

"That would be nice. I like kids. I don't have any brothers or sisters to play with so maybe I could borrow yours," she smiled.

I could tell she was feeling weak and she had these tubes coming out of her.

"Honey, close your eyes and rest a little bit. You need to build up your strength. I'll keep Andy company," spoke Mel.

"I bet you will, Mommy," said Andrea as she smiled and dozed off to sleep.

"Does she really know who I am, Mel? How much does she actually know?" I asked.

Mel smiled. It was so nice to see. "Andrea and I have secrets, just like she told you. She will tell you what they are when she gets better. Until then, you'll just have to guess."

Mel accompanied me back to the lab. We were asked to wait in the doctor's office; he wanted to talk to us.

"Mr. Connors, you are a very good match for Andrea. A perfect match would be that of a child but we can take a portion of your liver and implant it into the girl."

"Doctor, she's my daughter. I know that now. I would like for you to refer to her as my daughter."

The doctor smiled. "Well, Mr. Connors, your daughter will have a chance at a full recovery. It might take a couple of months for her body to completely accept the implant but she is young and should heal fast."

"What about me, Doc? What will I be going through?"

"You will be put under while we removed a portion of your liver. When you wake up you'll feel like you had just been run over by a truck. If all goes well you will need bed rest for a month and won't be able to return to work for at least six weeks. Over the next year, your body will heal itself."

"You're not kidding are you, Doc?"

"No, you wanted the truth and I believe in telling it to you. Your daughter is very lucky to have you in her life. I honestly don't think she could have made it another month. Now, for the bad news."

"Bad news? Are you telling me that you just told me the good news?"

The doctor laughed. "Yes, that was the good news. The bad news is we need to operate as soon as possible. I was hoping you could come back tomorrow morning for the operation."

"Tomorrow! Doc, can we start say Wednesday. I'll have to go by work tomorrow and get a sick leave. I'll need for you to give me whatever documents I need. Especially if I'll be off work for a period of time."

"Agreed, Wednesday it is. I'll have my secretary give you the documents you'll need. Till Wednesday, Mr. Connors."

"Just call me Andy, Doc. It looks like we will be seeing a lot of each other."

Mel grabbed on to my arm as we walked back to Andrea's room. She had tears in her eyes, but they were tears of joy.

"I don't know what to say, Andy. You're putting your life on hold for a few months for my daughter."

"I'm doing it for my daughter too. I couldn't live with myself if I didn't help her. About you and me Mel, I don't know what's going to happen. I am married and I would never cheat on my wife. I have always loved you too, but we do each have our own life now. No matter what ever else happens, I want to stay friends with you and want Andrea to be part of my life."

I leaned over the bed and kissed little Andrea on the forehead. "Sleep tight, my beautiful daughter. Daddy loves you." Tears welled up in my eyes as I left the hospital.

After leaving the hospital I went by my work to let my boss know what was happening. He said he was surprised; he didn't know any of my kids were sick. I didn't try and explain it to him but thanked him for helping me get my paper work and insurance in order. He told me my job would be there for me when the doctor says I can return.

When I got home Trina was waiting for me. "So is it your kid?"

"Yes, Andrea's my daughter. The surgery is Wednesday. I've already taken care of the insurance and talked with work. I'll be off at least six weeks but I will be collecting sick pay."

"So you're really going to go through with it. What about your kids? Are you going to tell them about your other kid?"

"Our kids are two, four and six. If I told them I could save another child's life, they would be smart enough to tell me I was doing the right thing. They know that I'll always be here for them. I will talk to them tonight so they know why they won't be seeing me for awhile. Jen said she would help you any way she could till I come home."

"Oh, yeah, your great sister Jen will be there. You know, sometimes she can be a pain in...."

"Don't say it. Don't be so stupid to talk bad about my sister too. She's like a second mother to our kids and you know it. If you don't want her help then just call her up and tell her what a pain in your ass she is. I'm sure she will leave you alone."

Trina shut up and went in the other room. I called the two girls in to talk to them. Andy Jr. came along but he would have no idea what we were talking about. I told the kids that they had an older sister by a different mother and that she was very sick. I did my best to explain to them what was happening. The girls were almost crying.

"Save her, Daddy. You got to help her if you can," replied Renee.

"I will, Honey. I won't be home for a few days till I get to feeling better. I'll call you and talk to you every day till I come back home. After your sister gets better, I'll take you to see her. Aunt Jen will help take care of you while I'm gone. I want you to be good for her and mommy, okay?"

"We'll be good, Daddy, we promise."

On Wednesday, I headed for the hospital. I took a minute to go see Andrea before reporting in. She was nervous but was smiling. "Hi, Andy, glad you could make it. I couldn't do this without you."

I think she had a little of my personality in her. She was a sweet caring little girl. I'd only known her for a couple of days but was so proud of her. I turned around and there stood Mel, a nervous wreck.

"Everything will be fine, Mel. Andrea is ready and so am I."

She leaned forward and kissed me. I mean a real loving kiss.

"Thank you, Andy. I'll never forget what you are doing for our daughter."

I looked back over to Andrea and I know she heard what her mother had just said. She just smiled at me as to say, "Thank you, Daddy."

I reported to my room and got prepared for the surgery.

When I awoke after the surgery, I remember the doctor telling me how I would feel. He didn't lie; I felt terrible. A nurse came in and smiled at me and ran her little tests. I told her how I felt and she upped the pain medication. I looked around the room and no-one was there. I knew Mel would be with her daughter but I was hoping Trina would have a change of heart and come and see me.

I slept and when I woke up I heard voices. My sister Jen and Mel were talking.

"Hi, little brother. How are you feeling? You look like shit," she laughed.

We always teased each other. She was as good a sister as anyone could possibly have. She was married but didn't have any kids. I don't know why; it was just something we didn't talk about.

"Jen, please don't make me laugh. It hurts like hell. How did it go? Is Andrea going to be okay?"

Mel spoke, "It's too early to really tell but the doctor is really optimistic. He said the surgery went well and now we just have to pray that her body accepts the liver."

"It will accept my liver. I don't give my body parts to just anyone," I started to laugh. "Oh, that hurt. I can't even laugh without the pain."

"Andy, I'm forever indebted to you for what you did. You saved my daughter's life."

"Our daughter's life. She's still my daughter even if we aren't married. I'll expect to see her on a regular basis. In fact my kids can't wait to meet their older sister."

"What about Trina? You know I tried to talk to her a few times throughout the years but she would always walk away from me. I just wanted to be friends but she said, "No way." I wish we could all be friends but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. I sure hope Andrea gets to be close with your other kids."

"Trina has never told me she spoke to you, never! As far as Andrea goes, I will bring my kids to see her. In fact they told me they couldn't wait to see her and they also told me to make her well. I promised them I would."

The three of us talked for a while and the doctor came in to see me. Jen and Mel both said they would see me later. I talked with the doctor and he updated me on both my health and Andrea's.

Even though I felt like shit, I called my house to talk to the kids. Trina answered the phone and asked me how I was doing.

"Fine, I guess, I just called to say hi to the kids." I really didn't want to do a lot of talking right now, especially to Trina.

"Well, I'll probably stop and see you after work tomorrow. It was just too busy to get away today," remarked Trina.

She handed the phone to the kids and they were each on an extension talking a mile a minute. I told them I would talk to them the next day but just wanted to let them know I was doing okay and missed them."

"How's the girl, Daddy? Is she better?" asked Renee.

"As far as I know she's doing better. I have to rest now, girls, so kiss Andy for me and I'll talk to you tomorrow. I love you all so much and miss you."

"We love you too, Daddy, bye."

Trina did come to see me the next day. She asked how I was and how Andrea was doing. She really didn't seem concerned; it was like she asked me more because she thought she should. She spent most of her time telling me about a special meeting she might have to attend in Chicago. It was a month or so away so I would be out of the hospital by then and could watch the kids. She said my sister Jen was with our kids now so she could come and see me. Her visit left me wondering if she wanted to stay married to me. I had nothing to pin it on but it felt like she was hiding something. It wasn't like I had a sixth sense, just a feeling. She kissed me lightly on the lips and said she would be back again in a couple of days, then got up and left.

A little while later Mel came to see me and the aura of the room seemed to change. I knew then that I had married the wrong woman, but it was too late. I made my bed and now I would do my best to make my marriage work for the sake of my kids. There's nothing I wouldn't do for them including living in a near loveless marriage. I did call my kids each night and talked to them like I had promised. It was so good to hear them arguing about who should talk to me. Even little Andy got his turn on the phone. At least his first words were Dada.

The next few days were rather uneventful. Trina did stop by and so did my sister, Jen. Of course Mel stopped by all the time. She was darn near living at the hospital between seeing Andrea and me. I knew when I left the hospital I would miss seeing her but I had to try and make my marriage work.

A couple of more days had passed and I got a few visitors from work plus of course my mom came to see me. She said she was there when I was taken out of recovery but I was out like a light. My mom had been there every day since the operation. She never said much about it except she did visit Andrea and said I did the right thing. I knew from the look on her face that she accepted Andrea as her granddaughter also. She didn't have to tell me; it was the way grandma's talk about the grandchildren.

I asked Mel about Eric and her soon to be divorce.

"He's moving to California. You know he's always been sort of a geek, but a good geek. He's a wonderful person and I will miss him. We agreed to remain friends. He's big into computers and said he found a job in Silicon Valley. He'll make a good husband to the right woman someday. It's just not me."

"What exactly do you do for a living, Mel? How do you expect to survive?"

"As I mentioned, Eric is a computer whiz. He set me up with a computer. I have a home based business doing billing for a couple of medical facilities. I make my own hours as long as the work gets done on time. Eric and I have drawn up an agreement where he is leaving me the house and furnishings. Of course I'll still have the payments. We each have our own car so there is no problem there. We split our savings after paying off our credit cards. There won't be any support. It wouldn't be right for him to pay for a child that wasn't his if we're not married." She had watery eyes; it was out of respect for Eric.

Later that evening I received a visit from Eric. I was totally surprised; I wasn't sure what to say. I hope he didn't want to fight because he would be a sure winner.

DG Hear
DG Hear
5,713 Followers