Second Sunset

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

After breakfast they showered together, commenting as they dried off that it had been at least 30 years since either had showered with somebody else. Then he returned home and logged onto his computer. It was time to begin putting his thoughts down.

In early May, he happily agreed when she asked him to go to a garden center and help her pick out flower boxes for her house. She had a hard time bending to weed and care for a regular garden, she told him. He was doing things he had always balked at before, and could only think it was because he had a second chance to be with somebody special. Many nights he would think back on the day and regret not spending that time with Betty. She had been so good for him, and the years had made her seem so common. There was also the ever-present knowledge that he didn't have years and years with Ethyl, and the time needed to have more meaning.

On the even numbered Saturday, they drove to the cemetery. Ethyl walked on to her husband's grave, giving Hugh a few minutes by himself. He looked at the headstone, wishing he had left the clippers in the back of his car.

"I hope it's ok, Betty. You'll always be my first love, and I'm sorry it took the second one to show me how much I took you for granted. She'll be meeting the family soon, and I'm sure they'll all love her. Except maybe Cass. She was so close to you. Maybe you can whisper in her dreams so she'll be more welcoming. I miss you, girl. Ethyl isn't a replacement. She's a gift for after you went away. You'll always be in my heart."

He glanced up and saw Ethyl walking over, realizing she had been standing aside waiting. She spent less and less time actually at the grave, but she was sweet enough to give him time alone with his wife. She was special, and he felt so lucky to have had two special women in his life, even if he was a selfish bastard.

By Memorial Day they had been seeing each other for almost three months, he had spent a few nights with her, and they had developed a kind of intimacy that worked for them. This was a major step, though, moving their relationship out in front of the family. They arrived early so Ethyl could meet them more one family at a time. Everybody was welcoming, some of the younger ones calling her Grammama because they were uncomfortable with using a first name. And then came the test.

The family made the rounds as a group, father and mother leading their two children, and when they got to Hugh he got hugs from three of them. Cass just said, "Hi Gramps," and was on to Ethyl. Ethyl, who always seemed to have the sparkling smile. They all waited, and it didn't take long.

"Ok," Cass led off, "so you're the woman who's trying to make my great grandfather forget he was married to another woman." Cass's mother opened her mouth to speak, but Hugh made a motion to shut them all down.

The smile was still there, with a twinkle in her eye. "You must be Cass, the woman who decides what she wants and says and does whatever the hell is on her mind without caring shit about what anybody else thinks."

The parents were stunned and looked from Ethyl to Cass to Hugh. Hugh was smiling and nodding. When they looked back to Cass, she was smiling as well.

"I guess you aren't dainty all the time. Nobody in my family, except Gramps, ever talks to me like that." She looked down for a moment. "Or, Grandmother."

Ethyl still hadn't moved. "Honey, I'm not your grandmother and never will be, but that doesn't mean I can't care. You're halfway from what Hugh tells me? If he's right, you look great."

Cass looked back, now showing surprise for the first time. "Gramps told you? Shit, I though he didn't even notice stuff like that. Yeah, halfway. We hope. The little girl is kicking me around pretty good lately. Should I be worried?"

"That might be a better question to ask your mother or grandmother." She saw Cass scowl and send an angry glance toward her mother. "Meanwhile, will I get to meet the father today?" Ethyl managed to defuse every situation with tension and learned a lot by asking questions. By the time food was ready, Cass wanted to sit with Ethyl. They talked about babies, and how surprised Cass was that the older woman wasn't shocked by the pregnancy.

The smile faded a little. "Cass, honey, we're a lot alike, and very different. I had my first child when I was 19. I was married, but had the wrong man. You'll be 18, not married, but from what I've seen and heard, he's the right guy for you. Then again, it took me three tries to find the right man, so I may not know what I'm talking about."

"Eth, I, OHH, sorry, I, is it ok if I call you that?" The older woman nodded, smiling at the brazen, wonderful impertinence of it. "Are you Grammama come back? You're so like her. Or maybe it bothers you to have us compare her."

"Everybody here seems to have loved Betty very much. No, I'm not her, and I'm very different in some ways. You were all very lucky to have her and I had to wait my turn. But keep in mind, I have my own family, and we have our issues as well. Grant was an ass a lot of the time, but one thing he always said was that the peace of a family comes from the top."

Ethyl made sure to spend time with Cass's mother and grandmother and assure them she was not out to displace them. They seemed to truly appreciate her taking the time with Cass. As people began leaving, they each took time to say goodbye to Gramps and Ethyl, thanking her for coming and saying they hoped to see her again.

That night, Hugh stayed with Ethyl. He cuddled and kissed, but there was something on his mind and he wanted to talk about it in the morning. She told him he had a wonderful family. And then they slept. Hugh woke twice in the night, but he felt peace after the second time when he talked with Betty. Of course, the conversation was all from one side, but he felt better after 20 minutes and went back to bed.

After a nice breakfast, he decided it was time. "Ethyl, I've been thinking about us. I'd love to have this keep going, but I don't think marriage would be a good idea and don't want you waiting for something that won't happen."

She walked over and put her cup down hard on the table. "How dare you think you'd get to marry me just because I let you sleep in my bed and because I make you breakfast. Where do you get these crazy ideas from? Honestly, I had no intention of ever marrying you." She tried, she really tried, to keep a straight face, but after 30 seconds of looking at his stunned expression she burst into laughter.

"Oh Hugh, how could I not be flattered. But I've thought about it as well and come up with the same answer for the same reasons. We have something special, but our affairs are in order and there are so many things that can happen at our age. Why risk a mess that doesn't need to happen?" She turned his chair a little more and hiked her nightgown so she could sit on his lap, facing him. "Oh, if only we were 30 years younger. OHHhhh, Hugh, you dirty old man. I feel that."

He looked embarrassed but she got off his lap and took his hand, hurrying him to the bedroom. He used his mouth to arouse her more and prepare her, she used her mouth to get him hard, and then a couple more times to restore the firmness when it began to fade, and finally he reached his climax. She didn't quite go over the crest, but it put a warm glow in her that was just as good right now.

On the Fourth of July it was time to meet her family. His natural desire to be alone rose up and he had to fight it, but then when he actually met the family he found it much harder to fight. Where his family was mostly in harmony, hers was broken into small groups. Her son and daughters were obviously just waiting for her to pass so they could get their inheritance, and the grandchildren were all busy with their own children, many of whom were unruly to the point Cass looked well behaved. There were a few really nice people, but he struggled to understand how somebody as kind and loving as Ethyl could have a family so full of anger and greed.

As they drove home, she confided that Cass had been calling her almost every day. She enjoyed being trusted, and tried to give advice that would support the whole family, but she did not want to tell the younger woman to stop calling. She said it was a critical time and if Cass wouldn't go to her family, she felt she needed to be there.

Hugh nodded and decided not to say anything right now. Instead, he asked how her family was so messed up. For the first time, he saw anger in her eyes and heard it in her voice. He had touched a nerve and made a mental note to never go there again. When she was done berating him for judging her family harshly while she tried to be so supportive of his family, he simply nodded and said, "You're right."

It stopped her in her tracks. She pulled to the side of the road and looked at him. "What did you just say? And did you mean it?"

He was a little confused, but he answered her. "I said you're right. I just met your family and maybe the first impression was wrong. You've got some good people tucked in there, but I guess most weren't trying real hard to welcome me."

"Huh!" She grabbed the wheel and put the car in drive again. "I think that's the first time a man who wasn't my son or younger ever told me I was right about anything."

He was quiet for a moment, then said, "In the not very humble opinion of this selfish bastard, they were fools." Inside, he couldn't believe he said that. He loved Betty, but had a very hard time admitting she was right because it usually meant he was wrong. But second chances were hard to find, and he didn't want to waste this one.

They continued going out almost every day, and by this time the people at the retirement community knew he wasn't spending much time in his apartment. Her home was very inviting, and she made sure her bed was also inviting. They rarely did more than snuggle, but at their age it seemed enough just to hold each other and enjoy the company.

In early August, Cass called while Hugh was with Ethyl. She gput a finger to her mouth to tell him to stay quiet and let him listen. Cass was feeling a lot of kicking and some pain and wanted to know if that was normal. What struck Hugh the most, she sounded downright scared. Ethyl spoke calmy, encouraging her, and several times asked if she had talked to somebody in her own family about it. Each time, Cass gave a reason for not talking to them.

"Cass, honey, I really appreciate you asking me for advice, but I last had children a long time ago and you have a mother, aunts, grandmothers, so many people who have had more recent, more modern experiences. I wish you would also talk with them."

"Eth, they don't understand me. They all just want to say it's my fault for spreading my legs before I was married. Come on, out of all of them not one did the same thing? I just can't believe that. You don't judge me. I feel safe with you."

Ethyl sighed and looked at Hugh with a 'what do I say now' kind of look. "Cass, you're right. At least one of them probably did spread their legs before they were married. But you got pregnant and it might remind them of the risk they took. Life is complicated, honey. They worry you may not be ready, and now you're adding a baby."

There was a short silence. "I chose to keep the baby. I talked with Rand and we made the decision together. I think I'm ready."

Hugh was surprised by the laugh that came from across the table. "Cass, honey, I'm 60 years older than you and I don't think I'm ready. You make it up as you go. Just remember, if something doesn't work, you can try something different next time. Don't ever feel you've got all the answers for raising a child and you will likely do well."

When the call ended, Hugh looked at her. "Eth?"

She wiped a tear from her cheek and smiled. "I hate it, but if it keeps the door open, she can call me whatever she wants. You heard her. Always an answer why it's me and not her mother. There's a crisis point coming, Hugh, and I really need you to stand with me when it comes."

"If I feel it's the right thing, you know I'll be there for you. And I can't imagine I won't agree, so, I guess I've got your back. It's a pretty nice back to have."

She got up to tease him, waving her ass in front of him, but he got her back and surprised her by reaching around and opening her button and zipper. While she made a half hearted protest, he pulled her pants down and kissed her. She was barely aware as he kissed his way around her hip, then he was kissing her belly, helping her sit, and spreading her legs. This time he succeeded and she climaxed. She caught her breath, then he pulled her to the floor and they held each other as they lay on the carpet. Twilight love, she called it later. Just obeying an urge to please the other person, enjoying the time left in every way, emotionally and physically.

They were planning to be with his family again on Labor Day, but a week before, at the end of August, Ethyl got a call from Cass. "Eth, my water broke. I don't know what to do. Can you come over? If I need the hospital, I'd like you to go with me."

Hugh and Ethyl exchanged looks, but he couldn't read what she was thinking. "Cass, are you at home? Stay there and we'll be over as soon as we can."

She ended the call and looked at Hugh. "I need you to support me on this. Whatever I do, I have to know you're completely with me on it."

He smiled. "I should insist on knowing your plan, or at least what you're thinking before I agree to anything. But you seem to have a pretty clear idea. I think going to the hospital with her is a bad idea."

"Hush, and don't ask questions. This is it, and it works or it doesn't. Let's go before she panics."

Cass was standing outside with a backpack when they arrived. She ran right up to the car and reached for the door, but Ethyl got out quickly and stopped her. Brenda came out of the house with an angry look on her face. Once again, Hugh stepped in, simply putting a finger to his lips to stop his granddaughter. He motioned her to join them and noticed Cass moved to keep Ethyl between her and her mother.

"Hello, Brenda," Ethyl said. "Can we help with something?"

Brenda glanced at her grandfather, who nodded, then back at the older woman. "Her water broke. She didn't want to tell me but I couldn't help but notice the wetness on her shorts. She needs to get to the hospital, but she won't even talk to me. I didn't realize she had called you until you pulled up."

Ethyl nodded. "I see. Cass?"

Cass saw her chance and started laying out everything. "She doesn't love me. She doesn't even care about me. This is all about her being embarrassed. She wanted me to get rid of the baby, then she wanted to hide me, and now she wants me to get into a car and trust that she'll get me to the hospital. No way. Eth, you're the only woman in the family who has shown any concern. Nobody else cares."By the end she was hugging Ethyl so hard that it took considerable effort to pry her arms off.

Once again Brenda wanted to talk, but this time both Ethyl and Hugh hushed her. She looked at them with a lost look in her eyes, but Hugh had his twinkle and a slight smile that told her to relax and wait.

"Brenda, do you have Rand's phone number? Good, go inside and call him. Tell him to meet us at the hospital." She waited and looked on with mild annoyance when Brenda pulled out her cell phone and started looking for the number. "Honey, go INSIDE and call. I know you don't need to stand next to a wall, just please do it." Ethyl turned to Hugh as soon as the mother was gone. "Disappear for five minutes." Hugh smiled, nodded his head politely, and walked off to look at a flower garden he cared nothing about.

Cass looked at her with fear. "Are you going to abandon me now? You're going to tell me my mother should take me and how that's the right thing, but she doesn't care. She wanted to keep this minute from ever happening. And now you abandon me? I thought I could trust you. Grammama would have gone with me."

The older woman leaned against the car. "Cass, honey, I'm not going to abandon you. One way or another, Hugh and I are going to be at the hospital with you. But let me talk about a little reality." She motioned for Cass to a spot next to her. "First, I'm not your Grammama. She has a special place and I'm not her. Second, I'm not young. I might be around another 20 years to see you become a grandmother, but I may not. Your mother, though, will probably be here longer than me. There are things you will want help with, or just some advice now and then, and I may not be around to help you. She will."

Cass reached out to hold hands. "But she doesn't love me. And she doesn't love my baby. Why would I care what she thinks?"

"Oh, honey, because she does love you. Ok, she didn't want you to have a baby, but she didn't really try to force you to get rid of it, did she? And you still have her roof over you? She could have tossed you, baby and all, on your ass when you turned 18 last month. She's afraid for you, and some of that fear is for good reasons. You're young and have stars in your eyes of what having a baby will be like. She knows the work you have ahead of you."

After some silence, the younger woman asked, "So what do I do? Trust her?"

Ethyl smiled. "Eventually, yes. For now, start building a bridge. Let her at least share your excitement. She's going to want to find out what I told you, and I want to be honest with her. She needs to start building from her side, too."

Cass looked around and laughed. "You know, Eth, you're a real powerful woman. You tell mom and Gramps to get lost and both of them stay away until you call them back. Ok, I'll trust YOU. And you'll be there?"

"I'll be at the hospital with Hugh. Rand and Brenda will be with you when the baby is born. I think that's how they do it now. When I had my children, nobody was allowed near me. Looking back from now, I think that's a very lonely way to have a baby, without family in the room with you."

Ethyl motioned and Brenda came out, calling to Hugh who was watching a bee move from flower to flower. Cass drove with her mother, while Hugh and Ethyl followed. Rand met them at Labor and six hard hours later there was another baby girl in the world. The young mother smiled when she said proudly that the baby would be named Betty Ethyl. Rand just smiled and nodded agreement.

When Hugh and Ethyl got back to Ethyl's house after their very long day, he turned her around and gave her a long kiss. "You're amazing. Nobody but Betty could ever tame that girl and you managed to get her calmed down and going with her mother in about five minutes."

She smiled. "I just cranked the engine. Now they need to get things working. You know, Hugh, I understand Brenda, and agree with a lot of how she feels. I also know that Cass needs to absolutely know her baby is accepted, and that she is accepted. I was a young mother. Not quite that young, but still, it's a lot of work and she doesn't need to be pushing people away."

"She's certainly been a handful. I wish I could enjoy a handful of you, but I'm beat."

"Me too, but I'll make you a nice breakfast. Now let's get off to bed before we both collapse."

In the morning, Hugh woke up and realized Ethyl was already out of bed. He could smell bacon and knew he was expected up to get his hot breakfast. Walking into the kitchen he stopped short and rubbed his eyes. She was turned with her back to him, working at the stove, wearing only an apron. Her cute ass was bare to him and he felt his response quickly.

"Finally awake, Mister Sleepy? You have 30 seconds to get out of those boxers."

"Yes Ma'am," he grinned and quickly pushed them to the floor. He was a little surprised when she didn't turn to him. Instead, she spread her legs and leaned over, resting her elbows on the kitchen counter.