Seeking Eternity Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

At least, everyone in my coven is with me on this, Ashford thought.

Tomorrow, he would talk to other covens, explaining the situation and hoping that they understand why he would not willingly cater to the wolves' demand. Hopefully, they would remember Ashford's sire, Iulius, and that they would agree to protect his child. If not, not only would the pact between wolves and vampires break, but so would the kinship that held vampires together for at least a millennium.

Remembering his sire, Ashford closed his eyes. He made a promise to Iulius and he intended to keep it, regardless of the cost.

At the same moment, the chauffeur announced, "Master, we have arrived."

Ashford opened his eyes and looked outside, sighing when he realized that the sun was still in full blaze. Although sunlight could not burn him anymore, the sting that came with contact between ultraviolet rays and his skin was quite irritating.

Without waiting for the chauffeur to open the door for him, Ashford got out of the car, gazing up at the windows of his room. He could tell by listening to the heartbeats inside the house that Raine was still there. A slow smile formed on his lips as he leisurely approached the house.

Even from the foyer, he could hear her soft humming that came from his room, the quiet splash of water on bare skin. So, the woman decided to bathe.

"Fetch a robe for the lady," he ordered the maid who approached him to take his suit jacket. "And bring us something to eat."

Not that he needed any food. Breakfast, lunch and supper were all for appearance's sake. Although, by now, of course, the servants should know the truth about him.

Quietly, he walked up the stairs and then into his room, taking off his tie and throwing it on the bed. Raine had stopped humming, but judging from the soft sighs that came from her, she was immensely enjoying herself. He ignored his reflection on the floor-to-ceiling mirror by the entryway and instead took the right turn that would bring him to the stone and granite room.

He parted the dark burgundy curtains that mark the place where a traditional door should have been, leaning against the frame to better appreciate the sight before him. In distinct Romanesque style, the room featured richly adorned mirrors and lamps on marbleized walls. But Ashford's eyes were glued to the woman in the bath, under the well-lit dome supported by marble pillars. Raine had her eyes closed, her head resting on a burgundy bath pillow. Her body was submerged in water covered by an abundance of white and red roses.

Without opening her eyes, Raine spoke to him. "I feel your eyes on me, but I don't know whether to feel appreciated or unwanted."

Ashford chuckled and moved away from the entrance, letting the heavy curtain fall to enclose them in the warmth of the room. "If you would but open your eyes, you will instantly know how you affect me."

Raine shook her head. "I don't want to open my eyes. I live in an exquisite dream. I don't want to wake up."

He sat on the edge of the tub, heedless of the consequences of such action on the clothes he wore to work. Gently, he caressed her cheek with the back of his hand, revelling on the smoothness of her skin. "Then, far be it from me to wake you up, my love."

She smiled then and opened her eyes, her hand slipping into his. Her blue eyes danced with merriment as she asked, "Did you put me under your spell, vampire?"

Ashford could not help but return her smile. "Should I not be the one asking you that, slayer?"

Raine chuckled and pressed her lips on his knuckles. "We are fools, then, to fall under each other's spell."

"Fools indeed," he agreed.

She raised her hand to touch his face, unmindful of the water dripping from her arms onto his clothes. Not that Ashford minded, either. Thoughts of ruined clothes were not foremost in his mind, especially when her fingers were touching his lips.

"Kiss me," Raine whispered, her voice smooth and sweet as the finest honey.

She did not have to ask twice. Slightly tilting her chin up, he lowered his head and took her mouth in a dark, passionate kiss—the kind of kiss that involved not only lips and tongues but also a piece of his badly shattered soul.

Her response was immediate, her groan of pleasure completely non-fabricated. She wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him closer, as Ashford felt the heat of desire raging in his veins, threatening to pump life back into his cold, not-beating heart. He reached for her and guided her wet body up, just enough for him to crush her against his chest and deepen their already demanding kiss.

She was soft and sweet and warm—dark, addictive temptation personified. The press of her wet skin on his clothed body did nothing to cool his ardour, but instead added fuel to the already raging fire. She smelled so sweet, so good, that Ashford felt the hungry beast inside him rear its greedy head, urging him to take a bite, to sink his fangs into her neck and savour the taste of warm blood in his mouth...

Ashford broke their kiss with a growl, kissing his way across her cheek, toward her ear, nearer that delectably tempting vein where her blood pumped the hardest. Raine desperately clung to him, not even fighting him off even though she must know what the vampire in him demanded. Indeed, she moved her head so that her neck was exposed, all but asking him to take a bite.

His body burned for her; he desperately yearned for her blood. Yet, with an impressive bout of self-control that he never thought he possessed, Ashford denied himself, instead placing an open-mouthed kiss on her creamy white neck. His body shook with the effort it took him to ignore the heavy pounding of blood in her veins, but he managed to hold back his hunger, unwilling to give in.

Dear gods—the woman did not need a stake to reduce him to ashes! As Ashford fought with himself and tried to curb his urge to feed, he admitted to himself that he would rather starve and die than take advantage of this girl. And, at that moment, he realized: he has already found his mate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AUTHOR'S NOTE: I know. It's been a while. And I'm really sorry. It was not part of my plans, but I had to go on vacation before I meet an untimely end. Know, however, that I intend to finish this story, and that, even now, I'm halfway through the next chapter (although, given my reputation for trashing fifteen pages of one installment when I feel that it does not work too well for the story, "halfway through" is probably not much of a good news). Either way, thank you very much for sticking with me and supporting me throughout my unexpected hiatus. Much love, SF.

12