Sex - on the Rocks or Neat?

Story Info
What are women looking for in sexual fiction?
890 words
4.59
19.3k
2
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Women have been devouring romance novels and chocolate bon-bons in lieu of satisfying their sexual desires for a long time. Sometimes the partner isn't willing. Sometimes there isn't a partner and going out to pick someone up at the local bar seems a little unsafe, at best. What's a girl to do? We turn to stories to stir our imagination and sate our appetites.

Jane Austen made women flutter then Barbara Cartland came along with her swooning heroines. Phyllis Whitney introduced a stronger type of heroine and today we have Jennifer Crusie writing. She actually has a woman interested in sex. But it still seems to need to be tied to romance in order to make it acceptable. I remember well the typical trashy romance novels where the woman is saved by the man in some way and then sex ensues with delicate euphemisms. (I gave those up when I found erotica.)

Are there any mainstream stories out there for women where strong heroines desire sex as an end in itself instead of a sign of romance and love? Perhaps in science fiction, but those tend to skirt the edge of the bestseller list and it still comes back around to romance in the end.

Erotica sits on the fringe and the average woman is still a little embarrassed to admit that they could enjoy something that isn't tied to romance and love. It is changing slowly though.Playgirl is not only a successful magazine but offers videos through their web site.

Sex is becoming more explicit in mainstream writing, and erotica is moving into the mainstream. I think I bought my first two collections of erotic writing for women from a major book club about ten years ago. They are quality writing and fun stories. I was introduced to the whole concept when I was eighteen by a friend who bought me a copy ofPlaygirl magazine. Though the magazine is long gone, I still have the books and enjoy them from time to time. They whet my appetite and I turned to the Internet to find more erotic writings and then to publish some of my own.

The availability of good erotic reading material seems to be tied to what women feel comfortable picking up and buying. Or even admitting they would buy. Women in their thirties and forties are now a lot more likely to have a toy or two, or at least admit that they masturbate. Women are acknowledging that they need sexual satisfaction from time to time even when they don't have a partner.

It also depends on the cultural taboos that women grow up with in their family. It is still pretty rare that sex is talked about easily and openly in the family. I know I explained erotica to my mother when I was in college. She didn't seem to know what it was. (Though I always wonder if women are holding back because they think it wouldn't beappropriate for them to admit that they are interested.

If mothers and sisters aren't talking about it, where is a girl supposed to learn about it all? I was having dinner recently with a friend when she admitted that her husband had asked her to try anal sex and she had point blank refused. I asked why. She was basically scared of the idea. She certainly couldn't imagine enjoying it, having grown up with the belief, as I did, that it was dangerous. If it weren't for articles on Literotica, I'm sure I'd still have that perspective.

So, what are women looking for in the erotic writing they read, if they have the knowledge and courage to even look for it? (Though I think the Internet has made that a little easier for them as much as for men.) What are some of the themes that women enjoy? I think it is as diverse as the women themselves.

Some women can't seem to imagineany woman enjoying anal sex while others LOVE it and then there are the women in between who haven't tried it but figure with the right care taken, it might be fun. Some women want to be dominated while some want to dominate. Some prefer tender sex and some prefer it rough and many like a combination of the two from time to time.

With the diversity of interests, I've noticed a few common themes in my stories that draw a strong reaction out of women. The stranger always seems to fire the imagination. The air of mystery and romance never seems to fail to interest a woman. The thrill of forbidden fruit is a fun fantasy for women to explore. Many women are interested in stories where the heroine has a loss of control over the situation, where she doesn't have to be responsible for her actions anymore. I think a common thread with these interests is that they are things women would not dare explore in their real lives.

Romance and love continue to be standard fare for most women, but we are starting to branch out and explore some other erotic delicacies that once were relegated to the fantasies we never spoke out loud. I'm not sure how much discussion there is now, but at least we're putting them down on paper and out into cyberspace.