Shared Custody

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
komrad1156
komrad1156
3,789 Followers

As promised, Logan remained 'hands off' during dinner preparation, but he found himself deeply engaged in conversation with this lovely young mother who seemed much too young to have a daughter Jodie's age. Then again, he didn't actually know her age and knew it was none his business.

"Hey! I was just thinking about you," he said as Jodie climbed onto a barstool chair next to him.

"You were?" she asked not sure why he said that.

"I was," Logan told her. "I was wondering if our Rusty Angel slept in your bed like he does in mine."

When Whitney heard her daughter giggle for the first time in almost two years, she had to turn away and reach for a napkin.

"He's such a bed hog!" Jodie informed him. "I have to scrunch all up in a ball or I don't even have any room!"

"If you tell him 'off!' and point to the floor he'll lay down there by himself."

"No, that's okay. I don't want him to get lonely," Jodie said as though she knew that would happen.

"Oh, I see. So he would be the one who gets lonely, huh?"

"Well...maybe I would be just a little lonely, too," she admitted just as The Rusty Angel came walking into the kitchen.

"Hey, buddy!" Logan said.

"Oh, look. That's his 'I gotta go potty' look. See?" Logan said pointing at the dog while talking to Jodie.

"I'll get him!" she said as she slid off the barstool. "Do you want to come, too, Logan?"

"Of course I do," he told her. He smiled at Whitney who mouthed the words 'thank you' to him.

Jodie led the dog out and Whitney told Logan before he went outside, "I don't like her being out there alone with the dog, but I hate cold weather and it's gonna be cold again until May or June here very soon."

"I can't really help you out past tonight, but I've got you covered this time. You relax and I'll go out with them."

Logan was not only impressed with how much Jodie loved 'their' dog, but found himself smiling when he watched this young girl carefully scoop the dog's mess with a metal scooper she was carrying before dumping it into a plastic bag and dropping it in the trash.

"You're very responsible," he told her when she finished.

"I don't want anyone to step it so I make sure to do a good job," she told him matter of factly before taking the dog back inside.

"What smells so incredibly good?" Logan asked when he got back to the kitchen.

"I'm making chicken marsala. Is that okay?" she asked realizing she probably should have asked first.

"Are you kidding? I've been eating TV dinners or fast food for...too long. This is great!"

Logan watched as she nursed the main dish along while getting out three potatoes she intended to bake as well as some fresh asparagus.

"I'm gonna get spoiled," Logan said.

Whitney laughed and told him, "It's the least I can do."

Jodie was upstairs in her room with the dog so Logan spoke freely.

"I was watching her at the park when she thought I was taking Rusty away from her and I could just feel what she was feeling. It seemed like she was...hollowed out, you know?"

"I do. That's how she's been every day since her father died. Like a kind of human zombie. This change was just so instantaneous. So if I'm spoiling you a little, please understand how important this is to me. And to Jodie."

Logan watched the way she was looking at him as she explained the change in her daughter and he found himself feeling something he either hadn't felt in a very long time or maybe...ever. He was not only feeling happiness but...compassion.

That was odd because the only thing he'd ever felt for a woman as attractive as Whitney before was lust. He'd never cheated on his wife even though he'd had more women throw themselves at him than he could keep track of. Since she'd left, he'd thought about it a lot, and even though he wasn't starting anymore, he knew he could find a girl somewhere any night of the week. He just hadn't had any interest. Then Rusty had disappeared and nothing else mattered. Not even sex.

But now...now he suddenly found himself very attracted to this amazing younger woman, but not just in the physical sense. He'd connected with her and he could feel her pain and her relief. It was all very new to him, but these feelings were somehow enormously satisfying and something he hoped to possibly even nurture.

"Are you sure you don't want some more?" Whitney asked when she noticed he'd cleaned his plate an hour or so later.

"No. No, thank you. It was delicious, but not playing every day now I have to really be careful."

"Well, you don't look like you need to watch your weight, but I'll take your word for it," she said pleasantly. "So is dessert out of the question?"

"Oh, wow. I shouldn't but you might be able to twist my arm," he told her with a smile.

"I have cherry pie and vanilla ice cream," she informed him.

"As much as I'd like both, I really do have to be careful. Maybe just a scoop of ice cream?"

"Me, too, Mom!" Jodie said. "No pie. Just ice cream."

"Okay, that makes three of us with the same idea," she said before getting up.

She reached for his plate and said, "Here, let me get...."

Logan's hand gently intercepted hers and ended up around her wrist momentarily. He pulled back rather quickly and said, "Sorry. I didn't mean to...you know. Please let met take care of the dishes. That's something I can do without hurting anyone."

Whitney laughed politely and said, "Okay. If you'll clear the table, I'll get the ice cream."

"May I help?" Jodie asked as Logan put his plate on Whitney's.

"Um...sure. I'd like that very much," he told her.

"I like helping," she said happily with a big smile.

Logan saw Whitney glance his way and mouth, "Wow!" at her daughter's comment. She hadn't seen her daughter volunteer to help with anything for as long as Joel had been gone.

"We usually leave the table for dessert and go sit in the living room. Do you mind?" Whitney asked Logan.

"Not at all. I actually like that," he said as Whitney handed him a bowl with two scoops.

"Trying to fatten me up?" he asked.

She smiled then said, "They say the quickest way to a man's heart is his stomach."

Almost immediately she stopped smiling and said, "Oh, my gosh. I have no idea why I just said that. I wasn't trying to imply I was...."

Logan laughed and said, "It's fine. I understand."

Jodie took her bowl and went to the living calling for The Rusty Angel who came running to her.

Before the adults went to join her Logan said, "You know, I wouldn't mind all that much if you were trying to, you know, get to my heart or whatever."

Whitney smiled sweetly at him and said, "Oh, I see. Okay. Good to know," before walking away to sit next to her daughter.

"So what do the Gallagher girls do after dinner and dessert?" Logan asked when they'd all finished their ice cream.

"Well, is it okay if we let the Big Guy here lick our bowls?"

"Oh, he loves ice cream," Logan said holding his down for the dog, too.

The Rusty Angel wagged his tail and lapped furiously at each bowl until they were completely empty of any trace of ice cream.

"Okay, other than that, during the school year, we do homework, huh, sweetie?"

"Ugh! Homework," Jodie said.

"She's a very good student," Whitney told Logan as she played with her daughter's hair.

"I'm not surprised," Logan said looking at Jodie. He bent over like he was telling a secret and said, "I know a smart person when I see one."

Jodie giggled again then asked if she could play with The Rusty Angel.

"Outside?" she asked. "It's getting dark, honey."

"I'll go back out with her if that's okay," Logan offered.

"Um...well, let me grab my jacket and I'll come out with you," she said.

"Really?" Jodie asked happily.

"She knows how much I hate the cold," Whitney told Logan.

"You need to move to southern California or Arizona or maybe Florida."

Once Jodie left she said, "We're gonna have to move pretty soon. I really don't want to sell the house, but it's more than I can handle. I just want to keep Jodie in the same school, you know."

"Is there anything I could possibly help out with?" Logan asked.

"Oh, no. That's okay. You've done more than enough already. It's just too much house for one income, you know?" was all she offered.

Logan left it at that and waited for her to get her coat then went outside with her. He was very chilly but by running around playing with Jodie and their dog, it wasn't too bad.

Whitney hung out with them for nearly half and hour but was so miserable she finally said she needed to go in. Logan was relieved to be able to use that as an excuse to go inside, too, and Jodie reluctantly followed with The Rusty Angel right behind her.

After helping her with her coat Logan said, "It's probably time I headed home. I've already overstayed my welcome."

"Oh. I completely lost track of time," Whitney said.

"Do you have to go home already?" Jodie asked, that look of sadness in her eyes.

He glanced at Whitney who immediately said, "You're more than welcome to stay. It's been very nice having another adult to talk to, but if you need to run, I understand."

"Well, it's not like I have some thing or someone to get home to so if you're sure," he said.

"We're sure!" Jodie said before her mother could answer. "Come on, boy!" she said leading the dog into the next room.

Whitney looked at Logan and said, "I almost never have a glass of wine because I don't have anyone to drink with, but if you'd like one I have red and white."

"You know what? That sounds really nice. I'll have a glass of red, please," he told her with a smile.

"Coming right up," she said smiling back. "Go ahead and make yourself comfortable."

Logan sat down on the love seat where he'd been before and Jodie came back in and plopped down beside him.

"So how do you like having a dog?" he asked her.

The Rusty Angel was sitting between them on the floor looking up at them and seemed to be smiling.

"He's my very best friend," Jodie said without looking at him. "Look! He's smiling at us."

"That's because he likes you," Logan told her knowing dogs didn't really smile. He was just panting and when he did his teeth showed making it seem like he was smiling.

She got down on her knees and put her arms around the dog's neck and hugged him tight.

"I love you, Rusty Angel!" she told him. "Logan? Can he stay here tonight?"

"Sure," Logan told her. "I think he'd like that too, wouldn't you, boy?" Logan said.

The Rusty Angel barked once causing the adults to laugh as Whitney had heard all of their conversation. She handed him his glass then sat across from him on the sofa.

Whitney was getting ready to speak when Jodie sat back up on the love seat and said to Logan, "I wish you could stay, too."

Touched to the point of choking up, something else Logan Benson wasn't used to, he said, "That may be the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me, but I can't stay at your house. But thank for saying that, though."

"You're welcome, Logan," she said sweetly. "You're my other new best friend."

When she leaned over and rested her head on his large upper arm, he found himself tearing up, another first. He didn't know whether or not it was okay, but he raised his arm up and put it around her shoulder and pulled her over close to him.

"You're my friend too, Miss Jodie," he managed to say without his voice cracking.

The room was silent for a few seconds before Jodie sat back up and asked, "Can I go to my room?"

"Sure, honey," her mom said.

"Come on, boy!" she said as she jumped up.

"You okay?" Whitney asked once they were gone.

"Yeah. It just kind of...grabbed me, you know. As I said I never had children. Not being a parent, you only think of the good times and I guess that's what I'd imagined it would be like. Someone who loves you unconditionally."

He looked at Whitney then said, "Sorry. I didn't mean to run on about your daughter. I hope that didn't sound weird or anything. She's just such a sweet girl."

"It didn't sound 'weird' at all, Logan. It sounded very...sincere. And yes, she is a very sweet girl. This has been so hard on her."

"Not just on her, I'm sure," he said in a more somber tone.

"No. Not just on her, but at least I'm old enough to understand."

"Do you mind me asking what happened? If it's too personal, I'll...."

Whitney swallowed a sip of white wine then said, "No, not at all. I mean, it's not something I'd share with just anyone, but I don't know, it feels like I've known you for longer than just the last few hours."

For the next few minutes she explained about the accident, the 'ruling' and with some prying, Logan got her to tell him why she needed to sell the house.

"Have you challenged the finding?" he asked her.

"I can't afford a lawyer," she told him.

"Something's not right. It sounds to me like the insurance company is trying to avoid paying."

"I thought so, too, but without an attorney, what can I do?" she said.

"I um, I have a friend who's an attorney. Would you mind if I asked him to take a look into this?" Logan mentioned.

"I...I can't afford to pay him. Thank you for asking, but...."

"No, he works on a contingency basis. There's no fee. If he takes your case, you'll pay him a percentage when he wins it. If he doesn't you don't owe anything."

"Really? I mean, if he'd be willing to do that, yes, I'd be very grateful."

"I'll call him first thing tomorrow morning, okay?" Logan said.

They spent another hour or so talking and sipping wine and neither of them could remember having had a nicer time in a very long while.

Logan looked at his watch then said, "Now I know I've overstayed my welcome."

He stood up to get ready to leave and Whitney got up to walk him to the door. He thanked her for the wine and the very enjoyable conversation and she thanked him again for being so kind and understanding.

When Logan went to open the door when Whitney said, "Logan...wait. Please."

He stopped and turned toward her and listened.

"Logan? Why are you being so nice to me? Please don't misunderstand. I'm really very grateful. I'm just not sure I get it."

Logan looked down into her eyes and could feel the longing; her need to 'get it'. Why was this stranger, a man she didn't know just hours ago, being so kind to her and her daughter? It never dawned on her he might just be a nice guy let alone something as hard to imagine as being attracted to her. She wasn't a cynical person, but it had been so long since anyone but her mom and dad had done anything nice for her that she was having a tough time making sense of it.

Logan smiled then tried to explain.

"Again, my situation doesn't even compare to yours, but I've been struggling to make sense of my life lately. Until last year, I was a pretty damn good...sorry. A pretty darn good major league baseball player. I was happily married or at least thought I was and now the only thing that brings me any real joy is that ball of fur sleeping with your daughter."

"I...guess I didn't stop to think about that. I've been so caught up in my grief since Joel died I haven't taken the time to realize other people are hurting, too. I'm sorry you're going through this, Logan. I just hope something good can come from all the heartache, you know?"

Logan nodded and said, "I'm not a complainer, Whitney, and like most men, I don't talk a lot about my problems. I just deal with them. Rusty, The Rusty Angel, has helped me do that without drinking myself to death. You know, the way real men do when something's bothering them."

Whitney almost laughed then said, "You're a very nice man, Logan. I want you to know you can talk to me. Anytime. If you'd like to, of course."

He smiled back at her then said, "You have no idea how much I'd like that. You've thanked me several times today, but I'm the one who's been blessed. Meeting you and Jodie has made me feel better than I've felt in a very long time."

"Huh. Well, that's exactly how I feel about having bumped into you," she told him smiling back happily.

Logan smiled a genuine smile then said,"Thank you again for dinner and the best evening I can remember in quite some time."

"Same here, Logan. And one more time, thank you. For everything."

"Well, good night," he said.

"Wait," Whitney said one more time. She stood on her toes and kissed him on the cheek again before moving away to let him open the door.

"Good night," she said this time as he opened the door.

Logan closed it then turned toward her again and said, "I know you said you don't much care for sports, but we have a home game tomorrow evening. Would you and Jodie maybe like to come and um...watch me...sit on the bench?"

Whitney laughed a genuine laugh then said, "You know what? I think I'd enjoy that very much."

"I'll have two tickets for you just over our dugout set aside for you," he told her.

"But if you're in the dugout and I'm behind it or over it or whatever, I won't be able to see you, will I?" she asked.

"No, you won't. But it's not like you're going to see much of me regardless where you sit," he said with a smile.

"Oh, okay," she replied. "It's just that I...I kind of like seeing you."

"So other than our dog, we have that in common, too, I see," he said back smiling as well.

When she smiled back at him he knew he was going to do something he shouldn't and even as he did it, he hoped he wouldn't regret it.

He leaned down and kissed her softly just one time for maybe a second or so. The kiss was short, but it was most definitely well-received and returned.

"Okay...so, I guess I'll see you tomorrow," he said before smiling and adding, "Or...not."

Whitney laughed sweetly at the quip about being unseen and told him, "I'm really looking forward to that, Logan. You know...not seeing you."

He laughed, too, before opening the door. Both of them said 'good night' as Logan stepped outside and walked away.

Whitney heard him whistling loudly as he walked out to his car and couldn't help but smile while at the same time becoming aware that his smile and that one brief kiss had stirred up feelings of the kind she hadn't experienced in a very long time.

"Wow," she said quietly to herself, her back to the door as she relived the very pleasant evening in her mind.

"Wow," he said as he got into his car and started it up.

Whitney had never been to a Mariner's game and didn't even know where they played. A quick Google search told her where to go and she and Jodie where at the ticket counter 15 minutes before the game.

"Oh, yes. Right here, Ms. Gallagher," the man in the booth told her as he handed her two tickets. "Those are quality seats. Very hard to get."

She had to admit she didn't know anything about the best place to sit or what it made it good. In fact, there was only one reason she was even there and as she also found out on line, he wore number 27 on his jersey. Whitney didn't understand batting average or runs batted in, but she did understand comments like 'excellent player' and 'long passed his prime'.

"Where are we going to sit, Mom?" Jodie asked as they walked inside the cavernous stadium.

"Oh, my goodness. I have no idea."

They started walking until they saw what looked like an usher who escorted them to the other side of the stadium and sat them right behind the Mariner's dugout. Jodie wanted to know what a dugout was and as her mom tried to explain it, a familiar face popped up maybe 20 feet in front of them from out of the dugout.

"There's Logan!" Jodie said waving and smiling.

"You made it!" he called out.

"Best seats in the house, right?" Whitney called back.

"There are indeed," he replied.

"This is a very interesting way to make a living," Whitney said.

"No kidding. But it's been a lot of fun. I guess I'm gonna have to grow up and find a real job, huh?" he kidded.

komrad1156
komrad1156
3,789 Followers