Sisters of the Mists Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It was a bold move — a last-minute order from Zoraster to his proxy. Ebonar smiled, realizing the vast potential presented by the unique golem soldiers. Should the creatures prove capable of remaining undiscovered, it might be possible to maneuver them into positions of great advantage.

A low hum, inaudible to anyone save Zoraster and his surrogate, alerted Ebonar to glance at another mirror. A wide, smug grin spread across his face as he watched yet another element of Zoraster's plan moving toward fruition. Tortfird's hands liberally explored the priestess' body, and she made no move to resist him. Soon enough, her corruption would be complete. The goddess Areolene would not shun her servant for this weakness, however. Such was critical to Zoraster's designs upon the woman, an important step in his plan.

In the other mirrors around the room, warriors — both human and inhuman — gathered and trained. The drums of war sounded, and the men of war answered.

Ebonar gestured to the mirrors with a great sweep of his hand, causing all the images to vanish. He then turned and left the room to seek a woman to sate the arousal his anticipation of things to come brought with it.

{*****~~o~~0~~o~~*****}

Celes rushed into the room at the same time as a sleepy-eyed Marlena stumbled in through another doorway. Seeing her sister witches writhing in the half-full tub, panic welled up within her. Almost as soon as the feeling drove her toward the tub at a near run, the connection she shared with Andrea and Ashley revealed to her that her first impression was wrong.

"What happened? Was there an attack?" Marlena asked, rubbing her eyes and shaking her head in an attempt to wake up.

Celes slowed and chuckled, now realizing that the apparently pained writhing of the blonde and redhead in the tub was actually something far different. Both women sought contact with each other, and their hands roamed over their own flushed bodies. "No attack, but the question about what happened is one I'd like to hear myself."

Ashley tried to answer, but couldn't catch enough breath to do more than pant. Andrea was in no better condition. Edna hurried into the room a moment later, pursing her lips to fight a grin as she too recognized that the apparent chaos was not the result of something sinister. She turned to fetch something before completely entering the room.

"Go on back to bed, Marlena," Celes laughed. "I'll let you know when you wake up. There's nothing to worry about."

With her wits still buried in a fog of sleep, Marlena nodded and unsteadily walked back toward her room.

Edna reentered the room as Marlena left, carrying two mugs of water. She took a seat next to Celes, and the two shared amused smiles. When the two witches in the tub managed to catch their breath, Celes took the mugs and handed them to the women.

"Oh my," Andrea gasped after she took a long pull from the mug.

Edna glanced toward the hall, and then tugged on Celes' robe. "Should I go check on Danica?"

Celes shook her head. "She probably used magic to quiet her room. She trusts her wards. They would have awakened her if we needed her." She then glanced at the two blushing witches and said, "Speaking of what happened?"

Ashley weakly tilted her head toward Andrea. "She discovered a new facet of her power."

"I expected as much," Celes chuckled.

Edna stood and clapped her hand on her leg. "Why don't we all talk about it in the morning?" She then glanced toward the doorway, where a pair of the nightgown-clad girls peeked into the bath. The elder witch had little doubt that the remaining ten were just out of sight. "Everything's all right. Go on back to bed, girls." She waved them back toward their wing of the manor as she walked toward them.

Celes squinted at a cabinet across the room and flipped one finger, her power opening the door upon which she concentrated. She then raised her hand palm up, and caused two dry towels to hover across the room to her waiting hand, to replace the sodden ones next to the tub. "You two dry off. I'll take care of this mess."

"Sorry," Andrea sheepishly apologized.

"We're discovering new powers very quickly," Ashley observed as she climbed out of the tub and took one of the towels.

Celes' brow furrowed as she thought about the events transpiring the world over. "We're probably going to need them."

{*****~~o~~0~~o~~*****}

Edna supervised the girls' experiment with breakfast, and the smells drifting from the kitchen seemed to indicate that things were going well.

"That's as close as I can come to describing it," Ashley said, and then shivered from the memory of the night before in the tub.

Celes nodded and took a sip of her coffee. "Well, that certainly explains the mess, and the state the pair of you were in when we found you."

"I think I hear Danica stirring," Marlena interjected. "I'll go make her a cup of coffee."

"You should probably have a go at summoning up that new power." Celes stood and pulled a pitcher of water to the center of the table.

Andrea blushed. "I don't want to make a mess again."

Ashley patted the blonde witch's leg and winked. "Then keep it under control."

"The girls are making breakfast. It won't kill us to pick up a mop," Celes scoffed, waving her hand in a dismissive gesture.

With apprehension in her face, Andrea responded,"Well — okay."

She concentrated on the pitcher, staring hard at the water level through the translucent glass. The surface of the water quivered, creating a ripple.

Danica walked into the room, flipping her hair and glancing at it with disgust. When she saw Andrea staring at the pitcher, she raised her eyebrows in confusion.

Marlena intersected the other redhead and handed her a steaming cup of coffee before Danica could ask the question in her mind.

Celes turned when she heard the footsteps coming into the room. "Andrea stumbled across a new power last night. She's trying to see if she can do it again." The dark-haired witch then turned toward the blonde and said, "You're holding back. Don't worry about making a mess. You know how many things I've broken while trying to rein in my telekinetic power."

Andrea took a deep breath and nodded her head. She then narrowed her eyes and leaned in closer to the pitcher, her nose crinkling as she concentrated.

"Oh!" Danica exclaimed and raised a hand in front of her as an eruption of water burst out of the top of the pitcher. She instinctively used her telekinetic powers to ward away the water.

Ashley snapped a hand toward the fountain of water, halting time for the cascade of water.

"That's really pretty," Marlena observed. "I don't suppose you could leave it that way?"

"Sorry," Andrea apologized with a sigh.

"No harm done, Dearie," Celes said in comforting tones. She then spoke the words of a spell, finishing the chant by rapidly spreading her hands apart, fingers splayed. The water droplets evaporated, turning into steam that curled up to the roof above. "See? Now, give it another go."

Andrea nodded and concentrated again. This time, she managed to cause a little column of water to rise up within the pitcher and cascade back down within the glass, only a few drops escaping the rim.

"That's wonderful, Andrea," Danica beamed, the smile on the blonde's face helping to lighten her still dark mood. She then sniffed the air and said, "I guess the girls are making breakfast?"

The other women nodded, and Marlena's tummy loudly rumbled at the same time, setting off a chorus of chuckles and giggles.

"Something tells me I missed something, but..." Danica trailed off and turned her head as if she'd heard a sound.

"What is it?" Celes asked.

"The message bowl. Someone just sent something," Danica answered as she stood.

Her gathered friends couldn't help but smile when Danica returned with a grin on her face. "It's from Damian. He and Darkni put their heads together and finished something." She crossed the room to Ashley and said, "You're first. Damian asked me a lot of questions about all of you, and I guess what I told him about you sparked inspiration."

Ashley accepted the exquisite wooden box from Danica and opened it. Her mouth dropped open in a silent gasp and her eyes misted over when she saw the ring inside.

The tooled gold band held a remarkably clear amber stone with a tiny speck in the center. Whatever the stone within was, it had the exact same hue as Ashley's dark red hair. Crafted with all of Damian's skill and love, the ring was a stunning example of his dedication to the creation of unique magic items.

"Damian says that he thought amber was the perfect stone for someone with power over time. It will hold spells cast into it, and turn away magic used against you. There's an enchantment that makes it summon up useful magic inside it when you need it. Darkni cast several powerful spells into it already, and we can add more."

"It's beautiful," Ashley said as a single tear rolled down her cheek.

"And useful," Danica added. "I'll feel a whole lot better once he's finished the other two, though."

Edna dusted off her hand on her apron and asked, "You didn't have him make one for me, did you? Breakfast is ready."

Danica smiled and replied, "I most certainly did. Marlena has one, I have one, and Celes has her own collection. I'll be far less anxious if everyone has the same magical protection."

"Well, if it'll make you feel better, and it's as pretty as that one, I'll surely wear it without complaining. Now, come eat."

"Yes, Grams," five women responded in unison, and then responded to Edna's hearty laugh with their own.

{*****~~o~~0~~o~~*****}

Celes walked up and laid a hand on Danica's shoulder as the redhead stared out the window at the timeless valley she now called home.

"I'm going to stay and finish Edna's cottage. I still need some time," Danica said in response to the unanswered question.

"You have all the time you want, and ears aplenty to bend, Dearie."

"I know. Thank you. You should take Ashley with you. She's been practicing the craft longer, and she might recognize something if she sees Mache."

"I'll ask her. You go get yourself in the lab. Andrea said she's going to spend her day with a needle. We all need a few more bras so we don't have to wash them every day."

"Bras?" Danica asked with a hint of amusement.

"Brassieres is too darn long."

"I like it."

"Good, because you're stuck with it. Now, go get to work. Finish up that cottage, and then get the girls' toys enchanted. They're helping out a lot around here. They've earned that reward."

"I will. Be careful."

Celes nodded and hugged her friend. She then turned to find Ashley, and Danica followed, breaking off in the hall to make her way to the lab.

She wisely stopped along the way to pick up a pillow for her chair this time.

{*****~~o~~0~~o~~*****}

Meckatuar's laughter echoed through the cold stone of Nightmare Castle as he sent a fresh group of demons out into the world. He felt his power growing with each denizen of the lower planes he unleashed. In time, he would be able to challenge the power of the gods long enough to rip open the portal once more.

"Master..."

The devil turned upon Rexxus and snarled. "Enough hide amongst the mortals. Their terror is my power. These will distract them from seeking those amongst them."

If his Master's retort had not already silenced him, Meckataur's last words would have. "Of course, my Lord and Evil Master. I stand rebuked in evidence of your foresight."

Meckataur dug his claws into Rexxus chest with a violent, impossibly fast thrust, and lifted the demon from the floor. The devil's burning red eyes bored into Rexxus as he rumbled, "Never doubt me, Rexxus. I was born into this world in my former life. I know it — and hate it — far more than you could possibly imagine. I will have this darkness that my spawn Thanatos has given to me to taste of again."

With that, the immense demon lord shook his servant free of his claws and spread his wings to soar upward into the castle. On the floor below, Rexxus growled in pain and clutched the five wounds oozing ichor from his chest. Those wounds would never heal without a massive infusion of power, and would serve as a potent reminder of Meckataur's power.

Rexxus understood the message, and revised his already wary estimation of the powerful hellspawn he served. For now, he would serve. If he could not topple the devil, he could do far worse than to serve him and enjoy the spoils of Meckataur's power.

In a crackle of flame, Rexxus vanished to spy upon the devil's spawn, and the wizard Ebonar.

Sitting in the shadows nearby where he'd observed the exchange, C'seka showed a toothy grin, and then vanished as well.

{*****~~o~~0~~o~~*****}

"Well, what do you think?" Bear asked as Celes and Ashley sat down.

"If I had to guess anyone here was a demon in disguise, I would choose this Mache. His complete lack of empathy, his arrogance, and his phenomenal strength are all demon traits. It is only that, though — a guess." Ashley nodded toward Celes. "I agree with Celes. We will have to confront him."

"You have an idea to get him out and away from everyone else?" Celes asked.

Janelle nodded. "I've already cleared it with the Commander, and called in favors with those who supervise his training."

"I'll wager that the Commander didn't like it much," Celes said and punctuated it with a snort.

"The Commander trusts us, but he is wary. If we are mistaken..." Bear shrugged his massive shoulders.

"It would look bad for the Forge," Celes finished.

"I can cloud the memories of any who observe a mistake," Nara interjected.

"And heal," Mara added.

Ashley shook her head in wonder, watching the group move and speak as though they were brothers and sisters who had grown up together. "The way all of you function as a group is astounding."

"We had a lot of practice," Celes laughed.

Bear's rumbling chuckle overshadowed the others, who shared Celes' mirth. "I suppose it's all coming back to us."

Celes laid a hand on Ashley's. "We're not doing so bad either."

Ashley nodded. "I think we should confront him alone — the five of us. We know more about demons, and we're better prepared to confront them." She smiled sheepishly at the others gathered in the room. "No offense intended."

"We'll be ready to help, if you need us," Janelle responded. "We've fought minor demons before, and it was not pleasant. If this demon is as powerful as you believe, I do not envy you in facing it."

"She's right," Celes agreed. "As witches, Ashley, Andrea, and I were born to fight demons. Danica's powers can carry her, and Marlena underestimates her control over illusion."

Seated cross-legged in a shadowed chair with his hands intertwined in his lap and his eyes closed, Venaru remarked, "She certainly caused no small amount of trouble when we faced her."

Celes sighed, "I think she'll spend her whole life trying to make up for that. She knew long before most that Zoraster needed to be stopped, though."

"The Commander works to lessen our dependence upon the benefits provided by his successor, as well," Janelle revealed. "Very soon, this place will be completely independent of Zoraster's remaining influence."

"I wouldn't count on that," Celes muttered. She received a full complement of grudging nods in response.

"We should get back," Ashley suggested.

Celes stood. "Aye. We need to talk to everyone else, and see if Danica is up to this yet. Something tells me that we shouldn't try to do this without her."

"I need some time to finish a few potions and charms too." Ashley stood up as well.

Janelle walked over and hugged Celes. "I can put everything into place in about four days. Any sooner than that would look suspicious because it changes the normal training schedule. Gods go with you and protect you."

"Let them keep an eye on you and that babe first," Celes said with a wink. "Are you all going to be able to handle seeing Marlena?"

"Just as the Commander trusts us, so do we trust your judgment," Venaru answered, only the second time the wiry easterner had spoken this day.

"We may find it awkward, but we understand her motivation and do not bear her ill will," Mara agreed.

"We'll see you soon, then," Celes said as she reached for Ashley's hand.

With the goodbyes complete a minute or so later, the pair of witches vanished on their magical journey back to the manor.

{*****~~o~~0~~o~~*****}

Danica put the roof of Edna's cottage in place. She sighed, "Finished."

"When you put your mind to something, it sure gets done in a hurry." Celes looked at the cottage, moving to take in the intricate detail of the model that was so critical to the magic.

"To be fair, I'd already worked on the manor and Ashley's cottage. All the hard work of mastering the process was done. I still don't know if it will hold the magic, either."

"I have faith in you, Dearie. I've yet to see you achieve less than you expected — let alone fail."

"We'll find out tomorrow." Danica grinned and patted the little cottage sitting on her worktable.

"Janelle says she needs four days to put things in place without raising suspicion, so you have time."

"That should give me time to enchant the cottages, and the toys for the girls. I'll feel a lot better with that all off my plate."

"So, how are you?"

Danica tilted her head to the side and shrugged her shoulders. "I'll be wrestling with this for a long time. I think I have enough of a grip on it to function, though."

"That's good, because I don't like the idea of calling out a greater demon without you at my side."

Danica took Celes' hand in hers and responded, "Neither do I." She then looked around with a curious expression. "How late is it?"

"Just after sundown," Celes answered.

"Where is everyone?"

"Marlena went to bed early. She's wrestling with the need to go to the Forge."

Danica nodded, understanding that the illusionist would certainly find the journey painful, remembering the death and destruction she had reluctantly participated in.

"Edna has the girls over in their wing studying. Andrea is still busy with her needle and thread. We should all have a pair of new bras soon, though. Ashley is out gathering some flowers that only bloom at night to make more charms and potions."

"And you?"

"I'm here to make sure you get yourself a proper bath and get that pretty little behind into bed. I set some of my candles to burning in your room."

Danica smiled as she stood, knowing that the calming influence of Celes' candles was now even stronger, enhanced by witchcraft. "Thank you, Celes."

Celes kissed Danica and said, "That smile is all the thanks I need. Now off with you. One more kiss and neither of us will get any rest."

The thought stirred Danica's blood, and she knew Celes probably felt the same. She also knew that Celes understood that Danica wasn't ready for it. The dark-haired witch confirmed it a moment later when she playfully swatted Danica's behind and walked toward her room.

Danica sought her own room, now filled with the scent of lavender from Celes' candles. She found her bath already drawn, her bed turned down, and a nightgown already laid out for her.

Celes' careful preparations did exactly what they were intended to do — chase away Danica's cares with ruthless efficiency.

Bathed and content, Danica fell asleep almost as soon as her head hit the pillow.

{*****~~o~~0~~o~~*****}

Zoraster let out a satisfied sigh and chuckled as he watched Camilla grimacing in pain from the relentless pricks of the needles tattooing her flesh. Rune structures already decorated large portions of her nude body, and would cover her almost completely before the night ended.