Snow Lily

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yeah, I have a thing for Alaskans," I responded. "Had a Husky for a long time. They love being a pack animal, but if you don't show them who's boss then they try to become the Alpha. It seems you've trained Nanook well."

"Thanks," Lily said again. "She's too big for me to handle otherwise. I had to put a lot of time into her training."

"It shows," I responded, still scratching Nanook's ears.

"You said something about our circumstances?" Lily said, still confused.

"Right, well here's the deal," I said. "We are currently snowed in. We are about an hour and a half hike just to get to my vehicle, and that's on a good day. We will have to wait for the snow plows anyway. You are injured and need medical attention. I think you are currently stable, but your wound will probably need more care than I can provide. We are at least safe for now, we have provisions and wood at least for a few days, although I had only planned to be here for about a week alone."

"You mean you don't live here?" she asked naively.

"Oh...no,no,no, I'm no forest hermit," I responded. "This is just a get away spot I built this summer. I'm just on vacation, filming for my outdoorsman vlog. Speaking of, I'm just video journaling this. Do you mind if I record a quick update?"

"No. Go ahead," said Lily.

I grabbed the camera and pointed it back toward myself. "It's 8am. The storm's passed and we have about 30 inches of snow out there. Nanook's happy." I pointed the camera at the dog. She let out a little 'woof'. "And I have someone here you'd all like to meet." I panned the camera over to Lily. "This is Lily. Say 'Hi' Lily!" she hid behind her coffee cup. "Well, I guess she's a little too bashful this morning. But I'm happy to report that she's up and doing better. I think I've gotten her out of the danger zone for now." I clicked off the recording.

"Sorry I'm camera shy," she confessed.

"I wouldn't worry about it," I said. I doubt I'll be using any of this in my vlog. I am more trying to just lay down a diary that I can review later."

Lilly looked around as she continued her breakfast. "Wow, nice digs for just a getaway spot," she replied.

"Thanks!" I said cheerfully. "Most folks wouldn't give a damn, but I wanted to make a place I could get away to and feel comfortable with this winter. I love the outdoors. I was hoping to use this most weekends this winter. Looks like my first full week is already quite a challenge though."

"I love the outdoors too!" Lily said with some animation. "Nanook and I hike all the time."

"Is that what happened?" I asked. "Were you just out on a hike with your dog? Looking at your gear, it doesn't seem like you were prepared..."

Lily interrupted me. "No...It's a long story too." She looked down into her cup.

When she looked back to me I could see tears forming in her eyes. I came over to sit next to her. "Lily, you don't have to tell me if you don't want to. I know we've just met."

"I want to. I feel like I can talk to you," she said. "Besides, it looks like we have the time."

"We do," I replied as I picked up the plates and the dog's food bowl. I placed them in my plastic wash bin and refilled Nanook's water. Her statement about feeling like she could talk to me made my heart flutter a bit. It was something no other woman had ever accused me of.

"I was on a date," she started out. "It was with a man I had just started seeing, his name was Jeff. We'd been on a few dates already. He mentioned on one of them that he'd be happy to go on a short hike with me."

I interrupted her story. "I'm sorry. I didn't find anyone else with you last night. Was he with you? I'm afraid that no one would survive the night out there. If you need me to go searching..."

"He wasn't with me anymore," Lily interrupted. "No need for a search party."

"Sorry I interrupted you," I said. "Go on."

"I've never been hiking in this area before," Lily continued. "But Jeff said he knew where we were going. I guess he knew we'd be pretty isolated, because after about an hour of walking, he turned and started to kiss me."

"Okay," I said.

"That would have been fine, but he didn't stop there," Lily explained. He started to paw me. I told him to stop, but he wouldn't. He started to get angry. He was pulling at my clothes. I screamed at him.

"Oh no," I said. "I'm sure you were scared."

"I was very scared," Lily said as tears started to form in her eyes. "He wouldn't stop. He started shouting at me and calling me names. At one point I was able to break free. I screamed and ran from him."

I could hear the fear in her voice. She was starting to shake. I handed her a handkerchief. After she wiped her eyes, I took her hand.

"He was much faster than me," Lily said, wiping away another tear. "He tackled me from behind. It really hurt. He rolled me over and I screamed again. He was reaching under my clothes."

"Bastard," I muttered.

"I screamed once more, that's when Nanook attacked him," she recounted. "She bit his leg and he yelled. I heard Nanook yelp when he kicked her off of him, but since he was distracted, it gave me the opportunity to knee him in the groin."

"Good for you!" I said.

"He rolled over in pain, cursing. I just called Nanook and ran. I had no idea where I was going, I just knew I had to get far away from him."

"Well, that explains how you ended up alone out here. How long were you wandering around?" I asked.

"I don't know for sure," Lily replied. I just remember that before long the wind picked up. I didn't know where I was, I just tried to keep going, hoping I'd find a road or something to lead me home. All I could find was wilderness."

"There's a lot of that out here," I stated.

"The snow started coming down. I was looking for shelter anywhere. It was getting dark and hard to see anything. At one point I was so tired and cold I gave up and sat down, but Nanook licked my face. It made me get up and keep looking."

I was gaining even more respect for this canine. Nanook cocked her head as she was watching Lily tell the whole story. Lily reached out and scratched her dog's ears.

"By the time I had found the rock outcropping, I was shivering and soaked. I was hoping to find a small cave or some other cover, but that's where I stepped on a jagged rock, I think. I screamed and fell. Nanook laid down next to me. I don't remember much after that."

"You must have been laying there for a while then," I responded. "I guess that's where my part of the story kicks in. Here, let me make you some hot tea. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. That dude's lucky he's not standing in front of me now. I'd string him up on the nearest tree and let the crows peck out his eyeballs. Sorry, it just makes me mad that he'd take advantage of you like that and then leave you here in this mess. It's unconscionable."

I put the kettle on and put the tea bags in the two mugs I had out. I angrily tossed another log into the stove. "At least you're safe for now," I said, trying to quell the anger. The hair on my neck was standing straight up.

"Thank you again," Lily said meekly. "I really do want to hear your side of the story."

"Well, settle back," I said. "Here's your tea." I handed her the warm mug.

"Are you comfortable now?" I asked.

"Yes," she said, wiping away the rest of the tears.

"Good," I said. "It's a long story, but you already know the happy ending." I relayed the events of the night, being sure to emphasize how much Nanook was responsible for her rescue. I talked of how I recognized the bark, the search in the snow and of the odyssey getting her back to the cabin. I relayed how I had to undress her and get her into the warm clothes. I also related to her about how I dressed the wound on her foot.

"Speaking of," I said. "We need to take a look at how your foot is doing. I probably have to redress it too. Lay back down. Sorry, this might hurt a little."

Lily laid back with some apprehension. I gathered up some fresh gauze. This would exhaust the supply in the new first aid kit, but I would have more in my old kit. I sat down on the end of the bench near her feet and carefully put her injured foot on my lap.

"Tell me if I'm hurting you at all," I said. "I'll be as gentle as I can."

"I'm tough, I can take it," Lily responded.

"No doubt about that," I said. "You've already been through a frozen hell, this will be a walk in the park. How old are you Lily?" I asked, trying to make conversation to keep her anxiety down.

"I'm 22," she answered.

"Wow," I replied. "You're a very brave woman for only being 22."

Lily smiled back at me. Her clear blue eyes seemed to look right through me. I was nearly mesmerized by her look. "Tell me about the hiking you like to do." I asked, trying to keep the light conversation going as I unwrapped her foot.

I had picked the right subject. Lily launched into some stories of her favorite hikes. She had completed some significant trails. I let her know I was impressed. "Those aren't easy trails at all. That's quite the accomplishment!" I was trying to keep the conversation upbeat, because as I was unwrapping the gauze, I wasn't liking what I was seeing.

"Ouch!" Lily shouted. Her body shook with the pain.

"Sorry. Sorry. Hold on," I said. Nanook came and rested her head on Lily's lap. The dog had sensed her distress.

Her foot was considerably swollen. Much more so then when I had first bandaged it. It was showing significant bruising. She may have broken a bone. There was no way she would be mobile anytime soon. There wasn't much more bleeding, at least externally. I rewrapped her foot.

"Sorry, but it looks like I'm going to have to confine you to bed rest. Doctor's orders," I said.

"So you're a doctor as well?" Lily asked jokingly.

"I don't even play one on TV," I quipped back. "But I do know that we need to keep this elevated. There's a lot of swelling. Hold on." I took some towels and extra bedding to create a pillow for under her foot. I raised her leg and eased her foot down. "This feel OK?"

"Yes, It does, very much. Thank you," Lily responded. "I don't know how I can ever repay you, I'd be dead by now if it wasn't for you. You saved my life. I'm so grateful."

"Correction," I said. "WE saved your life." I grabbed Nanook's head and held it close to mine, both of us looking directly at Lily. "It's a team effort!"

"Of course!" Lily answered back. "I'd never forget my best friend!"

"Good!" I replied. "Now, I need you to get some more rest. Try to take a nap. I've got some maintenance to do around here and I'm sure Nanook will be needing some outdoor time soon too. After I get back, I'll rustle us up some grub."

Lily grabbed my hand. "Come closer," she said.

I leaned in. She turned her head and kissed me on the forehead. "Thanks again for taking care of me. You've renewed my faith in people."

"Please rest," was all I could say. I was choked up knowing we still had a hell of a challenge ahead.

--

I was sure Lily was still weak. She easily slipped into a nap. I washed the breakfast dishes and put everything away. The stove needed some more wood and I needed to split some more, but I didn't want to wake Lily. I put on my heavy gear, grabbed my hatchet and camera, and coaxed Nanook to come outside with me.

I wanted to record another update, but I needed to do it outside and out of earshot. I didn't want Lily to hear. Nanook went for another romp in the snow. I knew she'd keep close by, so I didn't worry too much about her. I moved as far away from the cabin as I could to record my update.

I flicked on my camera. At first I started recording Nanook. She was having a good time digging a tunnel. All you could see was the back half of the dog and a wagging tail.

"This is Bryan. It's a little after 11am on the 27th. Nanook and I are faring well. We have plenty of food stocks at the moment, but I am concerned about Lily. Her foot is very swollen and is black and blue. I'm sure it's mostly bruising and not frostbite, but it may be an indicator that a bone is broken. I've cleaned the wound as best as I can, but I'm worried about infection. I estimate at best we can try for my vehicle in a couple of days, but Lily will not be mobile. I'm going to have to figure out a way to get us all the way back. There is no way I can carry her that far in this snow."

I flicked the camera back off and started to split some wood. I really couldn't think of how we were going to pull this off. I briefly thought about going myself and getting help, but there were too many risks associated with that. What If I got all the way to my Rover but the roads weren't plowed? Lily couldn't even stand. How would she be able to keep the stove going? No. I couldn't leave her. By the time I had split the armful of wood, I was no closer to solving my dilemma.

I whistled for Nanook. She came bounding back to the door. I took the time to wipe her down this time. I hauled in the armful of split wood.

Lily was still asleep, which was a good thing. I stacked the wood and stoked the stove. I decided that lunch would be using up the rest of the stew. At least I knew Nanook liked it. I put the stew pot on the stove, along with the kettle for tea.

Lily woke up by the time the meal was ready. I dished out three bowls and made a couple of mugs of tea. I pulled down the table and placed the food on top. I waited on the stew to cool a bit for the dog. "How are you feeling now?" I asked Lily.

"I'm tired, but at least I'm warm," she replied.

I reached out to feel her head. If she was battling infection then I knew she would present with a fever. She felt a little warm, but that could just be from sleeping under the blankets.

"Here," I said as I handed her a bowl and a mug. "It's not gourmet, but at least it will fill your stomach. You're gonna need to keep your strength up."

She took the first spoonful. "Mmmm...it's actually pretty good!" said Lily.

"Well, it's a good thing you like it," I said grinning. "Cause it looks like you're going to be stuck with my cooking for a few days." I placed Nanook's bowl on the floor. Again it was gone in what seemed like two seconds.

After a few bites, I could tell that something was bothering Lily.

"Is everything OK?" I asked.

"Ummm...what do I do if I have to go?" Lily asked shyly.

"Oh gosh, Yes. Well...ummm...you can't really do what I do since you can't walk," I stated. I then remembered the portable cassette toilet I was given as another piece of gear to review. "Wait a minute." I searched in my little storage area, found the box and pulled it out. "I do have this."

Lily looked at it and then looked at me.

"Sorry," I said. "It's the best I can do. I guess the next time I build one of these cabins I'll need to add his and hers bathrooms."

She gave me a mock punch in the arm. "I guess I'll make do, but I will need some privacy," Lily said.

"Well, it looks like Nanook and I will be going on another walk after lunch," I responded.

We finished up our lunch and I put the dishes in my wash bin. I helped Lily assemble the toilet and turned toward the door. "Don't take too long and please don't sit there trying to finish the NY Times Crossword, I'll freeze to death!"

"Any more lip out of you and I'll sic my dog on you!" threatened Lily.

I feigned panic. "Nanook. You love me don't you?" I asked the dog in an excited voice.

"Woof. Woof." was the answer.

"I think Nanook knows better than that," I replied back to Lily.

"She only likes you because you've been feeding her!" Lily yelled out, but by then, Nanook and I had headed out the door.

The sun was shining, It was a clear day and it was warm enough to start melting a little of the snow. I had gotten most of the front area cleared by now and was working my way around to the chimney. I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to have any water issues from the heat melting all that snow. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Nanook alert on something. It was a snow hare. Luckily I had my camera with me. I recorded Nanook trying to catch the hare as it darted from hole to hole. It finally found a spot near the back of the cabin that Nanook couldn't get to. The dog barked and barked.

Nanook started to dig at the snow. She had managed to unearth some of the things I had stored back there. What looked like a large stick was poking out of the snow. Nanook grabbed a hold of it with her mouth and gave it a tug. I noticed it was a runner of the old sled I had used for hauling all the fire bricks to the site. I reached for the runner that Nanook was tugging on and gave it a good pull. It emerged from the ice and snow.

"Nanook! That's it!" I shouted. The dog just looked at me and cocked her head. A plan quickly gelled in my mind. If I could repair this rickety old sled enough to hold Lily, I could use it to help get us back to the parking area. Pulling it would be tough for me though. That's when Nanook began barking at the hare once more. "Of course! I have a sled dog right here! If I could train Nanook with some basic calls we could move Lily together! This just might work! I finished unearthing the sled and dragged it around to the front door.

Looking at the sled, I realized I'd have to work on the cargo bed so that Lily could ride safely. I'd also need to add a handle bar, tow lines and form some sort of harness for Nanook. This was going to take some work, but I had enough materials in the cabin. The hard part was that I wouldn't have room in the cabin to bring the sled inside. I'd need to work out in the elements. This would have to be a priority if we were to get out of here anytime soon. I switched my camera back on and made a journal of my plans.

I knocked on the door and asked Lily if she was decent.

"You can come in," she said.

Nanook and I entered the cabin. "Well, I think Nanook found a way for us to get out of here!" I said, patting the dog on the head. "I have a sled which I should be able to modify to allow you a comfy ride while Nanook and I get us to my car. I'm going to have to train Nanook on a few mushing calls, but I think this will work!"

"I hope so," replied Lily. "Bryan, I...I'm in a lot of pain."

I looked at her with concern. "I think I have some ibuprofen in my bag. Here, let me get you something to drink." I handed her the pills and the water.

"Thanks," she said as she sipped the water. "I also feel really hot."

It wasn't all that hot in the cabin. I approached her and took off my glove. She felt very warm. I took a look in the first aid kit. There was a mini electronic thermometer. I quickly read the instructions and used it on her.

"Yeah...you have a mild fever," I said. This was even more worrying. I now had the added pressure of needing to get Lily out of here as soon as possible. "We need to keep you hydrated and warm. We probably need to change your clothes sometime today, probably when I recheck your bandages."

"Ok...I'm still feeling pretty weak," she said. Nanook came up to her and put her head in Lily's lap.

"Try to get some more rest," I said. "I'll be working to try to get this sled upgraded and do a little training with Nanook. I'll make us some dinner later. I'm thinking we can probably make a go of it first thing the day after tomorrow. They should have the roads cleared by then."

"Bryan...I'm scared," Lily confessed.

I sat down next to her and put my arm around her. She was still petting Nanook. "We're going to get through this. I'm not going to fail you, and you know Nanook is not going to fail you either."

Lily smiled as Nanook gave her a little 'woof'. "I know...I trust you both. Thank you."

"You can thank me when we get back to civilization," I said. "Until then, your doctor says to get some rest."

Lily looked me in the eyes and gave me a little smile. It went right to my heart. It hardened my resolve to do all I could to get us to safety. Lily laid back down. I got right to work.