Storm World Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
RipperFish
RipperFish
2,518 Followers

"Yeah," he said with an embarrassed nod. He couldn't bring himself to meet Angela's eyes. "I'm still sorry. I shouldn't have."

"You should have," Angela said earnestly. "You needed it. You've been alone for a very long time."

"How long?" he asked, finally bringing himself to look at her again.

"Too long," she said softly and placed a hand on his cheek. "And she's nice."

"You think so?" he asked.

"I do. Remember, I'm a better judge of people than you are," Angela said. Her smile spread over her lush lips again and she asked in a curious and mischievous tone, "How was it?"

"What?" Benjamin's face showed only confusion.

"How was the sex, silly?" she giggled.

"Oh! Um... Good. Really good, actually," he admitted, blushing.

"Even with all that fur?" Angela teased.

"It wasn't as weird as I thought it might be," he said and looked at the naked jZav`Etch beside him.

"Didn't it get on your tongue?" Angela's tone was mock serious and her eyes twinkled.

"Weellll... It did. Yeah," he chuckled. "No worse than some women, though. It feels nice under my hands, too. Very soft."

"It looks it," she said.

"You really aren't upset with me?" he asked.

"Ben, if our places were reversed, would you be upset with me?" she asked sincerely. "Think about all you've been through and consider what that would have done to me. Don't you think I would have taken comfort just like this?"

"Maybe," he admitted. "I can't see you sexing it up with one of those males, though."

"What makes you think I would have chosen one of the males?" Angela laughed merrily.

"Okay. Yeah," he chuckled, his unease finally going away. "How are you doing, though?"

"Me?" she asked, her smile spreading. "I'm doing as good as I can be. No worries. But more to the point; how are you doing?"

"I'm fine," he said, dismissively. "I always get by. You know that."

"What about the boat?" she asked, more serious than before.

"I got the keel together and the lower hull," he said. "It's a big raft. Big enough to be stable in the swells. And I've got a good start on the sides. Last clear spell I harvested as much reed as I could fit in the storeroom. I'm worried those damned roly-polies will get in there and eat it all, though."

"You have help now," Angela observed. "That should make things go faster."

"If I can get them to understand the need," he agreed. "I think that big bastard won't want to do anything to help me, though. You know, he actually tried to sucker punch me."

"I know," Angela said, putting her hand on his shoulder and making him look her in the face. "It doesn't matter what he does, Benjamin. It doesn't matter what he wants. You have got to get off the island. You have to get all of them off the island, too. Well, maybe not the big guy. And maybe not the smaller one with the mane. But the females seem alright."

"What's wrong with the smaller male?" he asked.

"I don't know for sure," she said with a puzzled frown. "He just seems... twitchy."

"Twitchy?" he asked.

"Yeah. Think about how he acted when you put the big guy on the floor."

"He was a little skittish." Benjamin rubbed his chin in thought. "Didn't seem like he was going to drop his gun like the others did."

"Not until this pretty lady kicked it out of his hand," Angel said, looking at Ima` Nef`Tn approvingly. "That's one reason I like her. She's kind of tough and still has a caring side. It's a good combination."

"Reminds me of you, a little," he said.

"Well, we both have green eyes. And we're both redheads. She is more of strawberry blonde than I am," she chuckled. "I have less fur, though."

"Your hair has always been beautiful," he said and reached for her. They kissed, deep and long, until finally Angela pulled away. Benjamin blinked at her and would have drawn her into another kiss, but she held him back.

"She's waking up," Angela said. "And you need to get dinner started. Lots of hungry cats to feed."

"I miss you," he said. Tears threatened at the corners of his eyes.

"I'll always love you," she replied and kissed him again before she rose. "I have to go now, my love. She's awake."

With those words Angela took a few steps back and faded away into the shadows.

"Ben `Jamin?" Ima` Nef`Tn whispered drowsily.

"Right here, sweetheart," he said and reminded himself to speak in Japanese. "I am right here."

Ima` Nef`Tn sat up, putting her arms around his shoulders and snuggling in close to rub her cheeks on his neck and chest. She closed her eyes and rested her head on his shoulder. Benjamin put an arm around her and kissed her between the ears.

"It was good," she purred.

"I enjoyed it," he replied with a smile. "Thank you. It has been a long time for me."

"I could not tell," she laughed softly.

"Are you hungry?" he asked.

"Not yet, but I will be soon."

"Okay," he said. "Get dressed. I'll show you the larder and we'll cut some tanglefish steaks. I think you'll enjoy them. I've got some vegetables, too. Do your people eat vegetables?"

"We do," she said, smiling into his face warmly. "Perhaps later we can come back down here?"

"I would like that," he said, getting to his feet and taking her by the hands. "I would like that a lot."

Benjamin drew her up and Ima` Nef`Tn joined him in a long kiss before she turned to gather her clothes.

*****

"What have you learned while I was gone?" M`peth qHo asked, coming up behind Liat `del Qha and Tem l`eth tong. She had found Chep `Urt vEss adding wood to the fire which had nearly burned itself out and sent him to continue exploring the tunnels with TaH `Kiy mTh.

"We were able to access the transceivers on both of the satellites," said Liat `del Qha. "To our surprise there are many dozens of transceivers scattered on the island. Most are active."

"What kind of transceivers?" M`peth qHo asked, pleased and puzzled.

"They seem to be on sensors of some kind." Tem l`eth tong touched the screen and brought up a detailed holographic map of the island that floated above the computer. On it were displayed many green and red dots like a galaxy of tiny suns. "I am unfamiliar with the design of the coding, but the operational ones are sending data that is being analyzed by the same software generating the charts I showed you earlier."

"I am fairly sure it has to be seismic data, given what we've seen of the charts," Liat `del Qha put in.

"What about other transmissions?" M`peth qHo asked.

"The orbital satellite is on the other side of the planet and will not be in range until later today. The polar satellite detected four transmissions unrelated to the sensors," Tem l`eth tong said and touched a key on the keyboard.

Instantly, four of the dots turned blue. One was located near the center of the island, just south of what appeared to be a very large hill or a small mountain that was ringed by green and red dots. Almost due south of that was another. It was difficult to be sure, but it looked as though it was in the middle of a plain. Few of the sensors marked in green were close to it. On the south western coast was a third beacon that appeared to be off shore a little distance. Off the eastern coast was another that also appeared to be some distance from the shore.

"Where are we in relation to these?" M`peth qHo asked, studying the map intently. Her tail flicked and her whiskers vibrated.

"Here, commander," Tem l`eth tong said and touched another key on the keyboard. On the south western coast a very short distance from the blue beacon a small green circle appeared. The engineer reached up to the hologram with her fingers pinched. When she spread them the map zoomed in on the circle. As soon as the map displayed only the circle and the blue beacon nearest it she pulled her hand away. "I believe this beacon is the transponder of the Char`Noth, Commander."

"What of signals from the crew?" M`peth qHo asked quietly, sounding as if she dreaded whatever answer they might give.

"Nothing," Liat `del Qha told her soberly. "There is no indication that any left aboard are now alive."

"Have you sent the message I told you to send?" the commander asked.

"We have not been able to find any controls to do so," Liat `del Qha said. "Tem l`eth tong believes they may be housed in the structure on top of the cliff."

"That doesn't make sense," M`peth qHo countered. "Why would they do that?"

"Commander, everything here in the cave looks as if it were improvised," the engineer pointed out. "If the Humans were using this hill only to mount their relay station, how likely would they be to utilize this cavern?"

"I agree with her, Commander," said Liat `Del Qha. "Surely they would have had their primary base of operations aboard their ship. That would have had integral systems for data collection as well as a variety of other tasks. The relay on top of the cliff would only need equipment to test it or as redundant systems in case the primary systems failed."

"I see your point," M`peth qHo nodded. "I do not wish to risk another venture outside until after the storm blows itself out. But can we leave survivors alone like this?"

"Commander, may I speak?" Tem l`eth tong asked. She sounded tired and somewhat grumpy. M`peth qHo nodded and the veteran engineer went on, "Is your mission complete, Commander?"

"No, Tem l`eth tong, it is not," M`peth qHo said, narrowing her eyes.

"Will you lead a rescue mission to the ship?" the veteran asked pointedly.

"If there are survivors, I will," replied the commander. "I cannot ask others to do what I am unwilling to do."

"That is very good to know, Commander." Tem l`eth tong looked her in the eye and then said very seriously, "However, if you try to rescue anyone left aboard the Char`Nooth, you will not live to complete your mission."

"Is that a threat, Engineer?" the commander bridled.

"It is an observation," Tem l`eth tong replied calmly. "The Char`Noth was sinking even as we escaped. How far down has it gone since we have been here? We do not know. Our environment suits would certainly be able to keep us alive down to roughly five tTriel*. None of us, however, are trained for any kind of diving. On our escape we all experienced how violent the currents around this island are. And worse than the currents are the predators that attacked us."

"Ben `Jamin drove them off," protested M`peth qHo.

"He did not kill them, Commander," Tem l`eth tong said smoothly. "Even if they are all gone, the depth is too great. The currents will be too treacherous. A rescue would be suicidal and I will not follow you."

"Commander, it is probable they are already dead," Liat `del Qha said into the silence. "Our inertial dampers all but failed on the first impact with the ocean. I saw many crew who were crushed against bulkheads. The captain's acceleration couch broke loose from its mountings. I am convinced we escaped with all who survived the landing."

M`peth qHo looked from one to the other and then back. She stared at the map for a long time, finally saying, "Your council does not please me."

"Commander!" Liat `del Qha began but M`peth qHo raised a hand, cutting her off.

"It does not please me, Pilot," the commander repeated. "But what you say makes sense. Very well. We are in no position to rescue them even if there are survivors. What else can you tell me about those other beacons?"

*****

Later, everyone was gathered around the fire. The chamber was filled with the savory smell of roasting meat and Benjamin was busy shifting strange looking... things around in the coals.

"They're almost done, folks," he said, not taking his eyes from his task. With a long piece of metal he rolled another of the strange things and prodded it lightly. Steam rose from the tip of the implement and he smiled. "Couple more minutes."

"Whatever he is cooking, it smells good," Tem l`eth tong said. She watched closely, fascinated by the Human's focus and deft use of the simple length of metal to rotate the bulbous things. "Did he tell you what those are, Ima` Nef`Tn?"

"He said they are a kind of plant that floats in the marsh," the young dTel`Qohar replied with a flick of her ears in the manner of a jZav`Etch shrug. "He said they taste like broccoli, but I do not know what a broccoli is."

"It is a kind of vegetable originally from Earth, the Human world of origin," M`peth qHo said from her seat at the northern most point of the fire circle. "I have tasted some Human foods. I do not recall broccoli, though."

"These cuts of meat are cooked," TaH `Kiy mTh said. He used a two pronged fork with a long handle to flip one of the thick slices of tanglefish tentacle on a grate that had been set over the fire. Juices sizzled and spat, sending more of the savory scent into the air.

"I hope it is all done soon," grumbled Chep `Urt vEss, his mouth visibly watering. "After all I have done today, I am hungrier than I can remember being."

"That's it!" Benjamin said, sounding pleased. He reached and took a large bowl from a box near his seat. He quickly rolled the vegetables from the coals and using a folded cloth to protect his hand, set them all in the bowl. They were blackened and smudged with ash, but the smell was pleasant.

The jZav`Etch looked at each other expectantly, unsure how to proceed, but they need not have worried. Benjamin acted as host, sharing out shallow plates and strange cutlery that fit their hands well enough. Soon the cuts of meat were piled on their plates. Ima` Nef`Tn had warned him that jZav`Etch favored meat and would need more than one cut each, even Liat `del Qha who was half the size of Ima` Nef`Tn. When it came time to pass a plate to Chep `Urt vEss Benjamin laid three thick cuts of tentacle on the plate and glanced at the big tDel`Qohar. He narrowed his eyes and everyone thought there might be trouble until Benjamin stabbed another piece and plopped it on top of the others. Even Chep `Urt vEss smiled at that and with stiff courtesy accepted the offered plate.

When it came time to divvy up the vegetables Benjamin placed them in small bowls before handing them out. Finally he settled down next to Ima` Nef`Tn, unconsciously showing she was favored. Ima` Nef`Tn did not protest, but she felt her ears lay out to the sides of her head in embarrassment and took a quick, bashful look around. Everyone returned her look placidly except for Chep `Urt vEss who looked away. He did not approve, but he would make no objection at this point. She relaxed.

"Benjamin, how do we eat these?" Commander M`peth qHo asked, indicating the fist-sized vegetable in her bowl.

"Oh! Sorry, Commander," he said, shifting his bowl onto one of the stones of the fire pit where everyone could see. "Stab it with your fork like this. Now take your knife and split it like this. Then lever it open and eat the pale part. Don't bother with the darker, outer part. That is really briny and just doesn't taste good. Someday, I'd like to try them with butter."

After his demonstration Benjamin waited to be sure everyone was able to deal with the marsh taters properly. Each took small pieces on their forks and tried the soft pulp tentatively. Their reactions varied from surprised to pleased, but none of them spit it out and he took that as a good sign. When it came to trying the tanglefish steaks there was no mistaking their reactions. Universally the cats ate with gusto. Chep `Urt vEss finished one in three bites and was still chewing when he picked up the second.

"This is a familiar flavor," M`peth qHo said after she swallowed her first bite of meat. "It reminds me strongly of something from Earth. A bird I was told."

"What kind of bird?" asked Benjamin, with a raised brow.

The commander reflected how odd it was that Humans and jZav`Etch used so many of the same facial expressions.

"Let me think," she said chewing another bite. "I was shown a picture. I recall the creature was covered in white feathers and it had a red crest. Its beak and feet were yellowish. I also recall that it was a favorite domestic fowl because it could be raised almost anywhere, laid many eggs which your people also harvest as food and it's meat is used as an ingredient in many recipes. What I had was roasted, but I was told it could also be fried in a pan."

"That sounds like chicken," Benjamin told her.

"Chicken!" she cried. "Yes! That is it. This meat tastes just like chicken. It is very good."

Benjamin wasn't sure how he felt about the comparison. He thought tanglefish tasted far more like frog legs, but his father had taught him to never argue with a guest unless they needed an ass kicking, so he kept his mouth shut and ate. From half a meter away he could hear Ima` Nef`Tn purring softly as she scarfed down her food. She ignored her knife and fork when it came to the meat, preferring to grip the steak in her claws and rend chunks from it with her incisors. That image made Benjamin a little uncomfortable, remembering what her mouth had been doing only a few hours earlier. He pushed that thought aside and continued to eat.

"Ben `Jamin," Liat `del Qha said, drawing his attention. "We used your computer. I have question."

"Alright," he said, waiting expectantly.

"The... The sensors, what are they for?" she asked, struggling to recall the correct words in the right order. She was sure the devices were for measuring seismic activity, but could not understand why the Humans had deployed so many.

"Which sensors? The ones on the island?" he asked.

"Those, yes." She nodded and ate another bite of the marsh tater in her bowl. She seemed to like it more than the others did.

"Those are seismic survey sensors," he explained. "We planted sixty or seventy of them. The island isn't exactly stable. You saw that for yourself, though."

"Yes," she said, frowning at the recollection of the quake. "Why did you... place so... Um... Why did you place so... many?"

"After the big lava flow broke loose from the volcano and covered the Jenny we wanted to be sure we knew where the next flow might emerge. We'd lost our ship. We wanted as much warning as we could get after that."

Liat `del Qha exchanged a look with M`peth qHo and then returned her attention to Benjamin, asking, "Is the... mountain unstable?"

"Yeah, that's why I'm trying to get off of it," he said conversationally.

His words stopped the two English speaking jZav`Etch cold. Slowly M`peth qHo lowered her fork and swallowed the lump of marsh tater in her mouth. The other cats noticed and one by one also stopped eating. They looked at her and then Benjamin.

"What is it, Commander?" asked Chep `Urt vEss warily.

"I am not yet sure," she said. Her next words were directed at the Human. "Ben `Jamin, we are not on the mountain."

"Sure we are," the Human said with a half-smile. "This island is the top of really damned big mountain. A really damned big volcano, actually. It just happens that most of it is under water."

"I see," she said, a knot of cold began to form in her belly. "How unstable is the island?"

"I don't know exactly," Benjamin said, forking a piece of meat into his mouth, chewing while he thought. "Let's see. Grace and Doc Saito did the geologic analysis. Grace was our geologist, so she did most of the data collection. Doc Saito was our environmental science guy and he helped with the analysis. Between them they were sure this island is just the top of a really old volcano. I mean that reef your ship crashed on is what's left of the rim of a caldera five hundred thousand years old. It got battered down by the storms and all, but if you look at the satellite images you can see where it lays out around the west, north and about half way down the east coast of the island. Goes out about half a klick from the beach. This cave is part of a ridge that runs along the south coast of the island connecting the sunken parts of the old caldera. I'm a little shaky on this kind of thing. It's not my field, really. But sometime back about five hundred K ago the volcano blew its top right off. Then it built up another one and blew that off about a hundred fifty K ago."

RipperFish
RipperFish
2,518 Followers